• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: chefist on June 10, 2018, 06:56:37 PM
Yes...even lamb...also, that is what prevents the gray ring between the outer crust and inner, rarer meat...

So it’s just a sacrificial chicken?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 06:58:20 PM
So it’s just a sacrificial chicken?

It seems so.. Poor chicken..   :'(

whoozit

whoozit

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 15, 2018, 03:50:48 PM
Basmati?
Yup.  Rice is cooking that is the rest of the ingredients.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 15, 2018, 03:53:00 PM
Yup.  Rice is cooking that is the rest of the ingredients.

Damn! I can't find any clips of Gene, the anal retentive chef. :D

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2018, 03:54:27 PM
Damn! I can't find any clips of Gene, the anal retentive chef. :D
I loved the way he threw things out.   :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 15, 2018, 04:06:21 PM
I loved the way he threw things out.   :D

Yep, it was a whole procedure that involved foil and tape, if I recall. ;D

Jojo

Quote from: chefist on June 03, 2018, 08:40:56 PM
Goes back to the basics...if you love cooking (or anything you do in life), you'll want to do it right...then, you make adjustments to improve...especially cooking for the family...that's where love originates, and where you really learn to cook with passion.
If you are cooking single pieces, like steak or chicken pieces (in a frying pan or broiler pan), then does it make a difference if they are room temp first?  Bec all my life, I room-temped them, but after listening to three other families, I now cook them the minute they become cookable, sometimes even with a little bit of frozen part.  And I like the result a lot better.  What do you think about single pieces like that?

Quote from: chefist on June 03, 2018, 08:38:51 PM
That's a good method, of course...but letting the meat come to room temperature before cooking, is a huge secret...I user a laser thermometer to make sure...
Can your laser tell how hot a girl is?

Fourteen

whoozit

Going to smoke a pork butt Monday and ribs on Wednesday.

Quote from: whoozit on June 22, 2018, 07:39:16 PM
Going to smoke a pork butt Monday and ribs on Wednesday.

Wish I had a real smoker. Pressure cooking lamb riblets tonight, cold fermenting dough for weekend pizzas.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 14 on June 15, 2018, 04:46:53 PM
If you are cooking single pieces, like steak or chicken pieces (in a frying pan or broiler pan), then does it make a difference if they are room temp first?  Bec all my life, I room-temped them, but after listening to three other families, I now cook them the minute they become cookable, sometimes even with a little bit of frozen part.  And I like the result a lot better.  What do you think about single pieces like that?
Can your laser tell how hot a girl is?

Fourteen

A moisture meter helps and if you have enough money, a hydrometer will tell you how dense they are.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 22, 2018, 08:20:30 PM
A moisture meter helps and if you have enough money, a hydrometer will tell you how dense they are.

I hate when they inject chicken with salt water just to add more weight. It totally ruins the taste and texture. ::)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 22, 2018, 08:22:18 PM
I hate when they inject chicken with salt water just to add more weight. It totally ruins the taste and texture. ::)

Air chilled 4 life.

GravitySucks

What in the fuck does that have to do with hot women?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 22, 2018, 09:47:49 PM
What in the fuck does that have to do with hot women?

It's a metaphor about botox. ;)

ksm32

Late dinner tonight and this guy is the BIG star of the show. Or, plate..

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 22, 2018, 08:20:30 PM
Sounds good.  I just don't like it dry!

Fourteen

paladin1991

Quote from: 14 on June 23, 2018, 02:16:17 AM
Sounds good.  I just don't like it dry!

Fourteen

Well, maybe you should lube up first.

Jojo

Quote from: pate on March 04, 2018, 03:51:53 PM
Today's half-baked adventure began about a week and a half ago when I decided that the half-gallon of unconsumed milk in the fridge was due to turn into some sort of spontaneous cheese.  Rather than let nature (or un-nature as my fridge contents can sometimes produce) take it course I decided to force the issue and see what sorts of simple cheese could be made from this nearly-but-not-yet-curdled whole milk.

Lime juice turned out to be the one lacking ingredient, then I figured I could use a juicer and some other bullshit (a small measuring cup, and some other crap, I think the 5-for-$5 frozen Swanson Potpies and other unnecessary shiet).

----------------------------
Ricotta Cheese I
1 quart Milk (supposedly any milk, I had WAAAAAY past "due" but still drinkable and good Whole Milk)
3 fluid ounces fresh lime juice

Allow milk to stand outside refrigerator until it achieves room temperature.
Pour milk into non-reactive (stainless, glass or ceramic  NOT ALUMINIUM!) pot.
Slowly heat milk to 180F, hold at 180F for 5 minutes.
Stir in fresh lime juice and stir until curds form.
Pour mess into cheesecloth lined chinacap/strainer/chinois and allow to rest undisturbed for 1 hour.
For a drier finished cheese tie-off cheesecloth and hang in refrigerator overnight, or use immediately as you would store-bought.

yield approx. 1 cup Ricotta per quart of milk.

----------------------------------------

I elected for the drier ricotta, I weighed it today and seems like my yield was 10 oz for the 1/2 gallon of milk, plus a bunch of whey (the watery part) say 1 1/2 quarts whey.  I froze the whey and will do something insane with it.  I think I will see if it can be used to make bread?  I dunno, I can always throw it out later.

Up Next;  Graham Cracker Crust
I read once that what you are doing, preserving dairy, is how cheese was invented.

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 23, 2018, 02:55:01 AM
Well, maybe you should lube up first.
Après toi... serveur  ::)

Fourteen

Jojo

I used to hate that too.  But the silver lining for me is that all that water pulls a lot of the saturated fat out with it, which otherwise would have clung to the outside of the meat.  Is there any way to tell "lean" chicken?  When I was a kid, the skin was so lean it was always crunchy, and so good.  But for the last few decades, it is like gum and not healthy to eat.

Fourteen

whoozit

24 hour bath for the butt.

Jojo

whoozit

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on June 24, 2018, 02:07:41 AM
Salt, molasses and water.
Yum!  Molasses is a cool food.

Fourteen

whoozit

Making Huli Huli chicken.  The chicken has been swimming since 5:00 AM and the rub is ready to go.  Going to start cooking in an hour.  Is it too early to drink if I’m barbecuing?

Quote from: whoozit on June 24, 2018, 08:00:34 AM
Making Huli Huli chicken.  The chicken has been swimming since 5:00 AM and the rub is ready to go.  Going to start cooking in an hour.  Is it too early to drink if I’m barbecuing?

Hopefully it turns out as good as it looks!

whoozit

Covered in rub and warming up.  Going to light the grill in 30 minutes or so.