• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ks3484

Quote from: Daggit on June 15, 2015, 06:47:40 PM
You obviously didn't do a current search of that PO Box. You should probably apologize to the current holders of it.

From where I retrieved my info.......

• EVERYTHING2

• A More Specific and Far Broader Yahoo Search

It really isn't a difficult thing for you - or anyone - to do.  :)

Art Bell

Quote from: coaster on June 16, 2015, 12:59:57 PM
I'm getting that queasy feeling again.

You have a queasy feeling? Try and guess how I feel. Not to worry though we will keep going one way or the other because we are not working for some big company.

Art

chefist

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 12:56:38 PM
Well I have seen a lot of good ideas on here. As I have said again and again we are going to start with a Live FREE show. What will happen after that is anybody's guess. I have no idea if we will have few or many or wether people will order the Podcast or not. All we can really do is start and see what comes. If it becomes impossible to continue from a financial point of view then we need a plan B.

Art

Plan B (never ideal, so one may have to compromise)

What is the costliest line item? The license for the music? The AAC stream?

I know that the music is very critical, but is there no alternative to that? Music that does not require a license?

When I look at other podcast shows, their websites are filled with ads under "Support the Show" tab...

Also, there may have to be a little more time for paid ads each hour...

Move above $5/mnth to make the numbers work out...

I know what it is like to start and run a company with thin margins and a tight budget...but it can be done! AND it's much more fun than working for someone else!

coaster

You could always pull a "coast to coast" and do 10-15 minute ad breaks. I'm sure that would help financially. I wouldn't mind sitting through a few more minutes of ads.

ks3484

Well I have seen a lot of good ideas on here. As I have said again and again we are going to start with a Live FREE show. What will happen after that is anybody's guess. I have no idea if we will have few or many or wether people will order the Podcast or not. All we can really do is start and see what comes. If it becomes impossible to continue from a financial point of view then we need a plan B.

Art

Plan B - is to talk about Plan B over a nice cup of Red Wine? -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc

Art Bell

It's all about the music, I don't want to get into this debate again but if shows like mine are going to make the jump to the "new media" there has to be a way to survive the cost of the music. It is in the music industry's interest to make it so, if not they shoot themselves in the foot, However History is full of examples of self inflicted financial suicide so don't rule it out.

Art

chefist

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 01:36:45 PM
It's all about the music, I don't want to get into this debate again but if shows like mine are going to make the jump to the "new media" there has to be a way to survive the cost of the music. It is in the music industry's interest to make it so, if not they shoot themselves in the foot, However History is full of examples of self inflicted financial suicide so don't rule it out.

Art

I understand Art...with SWOT you have to put all options in their categories, no matter how distasteful they may be.  In the final analysis they may prove to be too large of a "Threat" and then the decision to abort a plan is made...

coaster

I don't think moving from 5 dollars makes much sense. Let's say it's 9.99 instead of 5. This will probably impact the number of subscribers. If half the people who were willing to pay 5 sign up for 9.99, you are still pulling in the same amount. All that has happened is you've alienated the poorer folks. I'd look elsewhere, probably the advertising, to pull in some extra money.
But thats just me, and I know jackshit about the business. So take it for whats its worth.

I like the idea of an Introductory price of $5 / month. That absolves you from having to increase it right out of the gate and also serves as an incentive to subscribe right at the beginning with a 1 year locked in rate or something similar. After 6 months or so you'll have more information to base future decisions.
Most here would pay far more for the podcast subscription (including me) but in keeping a wider audience you would benefit from the residual income of advertising value, ad clicks, merchandise sales, word of mouth, affiliate links, itunes purchases by non-subscribers, etc.  Keeping the show free for some and a low subscribe cost for the recordings will make a much larger pool of listeners that will pay you in other ways.
A phone app is a great idea. Lots of ad clicks on those.
The increased traffic to your website will skyrocket your affiliate income.

My prediction? Money won't be a problem.

Is it July yet?

Cwn Annwn

I think that a show with broad appeal like Art's functions best by charging a low price. A more specialized show catering to a smaller audience will make the most money by charging a relatively high price. Elasticity and such.

Given the buzz, I have no doubt that the show will be a success, and that all these apparent problems will dissolve.

chefist

You will use this graphical analysis to determine the best possible price to sell subscriptions with...

Cwn Annwn

Just find the intersection of marginal revenue and marginal cost. No big deal. You might find those points by examining between the cushions of your couch.

PathoJen

Art
Will you derive any income or benefit financially from the affiliates? Since affiliates are the "big business" so to speak, perhaps they should foot the bill somehow then the rest of us poor slobs can reap the benefits. In other words, can you make affiliates pay for the show? Like Coaster, I know nothing about the business, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

I really think I'm onto something here

RoseGirl

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 01:36:45 PM

Art

There are a lot of independent musicians out there that would not require major payments, if any payment at all. Have you checked out http://noisetrade.com/ or http://freemusicarchive.org/

I use them all the time and they are great. Also, some great articles about pod casts and music licencing, etc.

If you want, I will hunt for other such sites....as I have a huge folder full of indie music that is royalty free. All gotten from these sites. If you need me to, I can pass it along to you or Keith.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 01:11:35 PM
You have a queasy feeling? Try and guess how I feel. Not to worry though we will keep going one way or the other because we are not working for some big company.

Art

No matter what happens, it is going to be a hell of a good time to hear you back on the air, where you belong.   8)

PathoJen

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 02:12:11 PM
There are a lot of independent musicians out there that would not require major payments, if any payment at all. Have you checked out http://noisetrade.com/ or http://freemusicarchive.org/

I use them all the time and they are great. Also, some great articles about pod casts and music licencing, etc.

If you want, I will hunt for other such sites....as I have a huge folder full of indie music that is royalty free. All gotten from these sites. If you need me to, I can pass it along to you or Keith.
I am sure Art appreciates your sentiment RG, but he has said time and time again that he MUST have his bumper music. He doesn't want Royalty Free music, he wants what he wants. There is no way around this, unfortunately. At least that is my understanding. :)

RoseGirl

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 02:19:15 PM
I am sure Art appreciates your sentiment RG, but he has said time and time again that he MUST have his bumper music. He doesn't want Royalty Free music, he wants what he wants. There is no way around this, unfortunately. At least that is my understanding. :)

Ah...okay. Didn't realize that. No problem.

CJJames

Hey gang, is there somewhere I can go to listen to Art's last couple (few?) radio tests? Have looked but have not found anything.

coaster

The show definitely would not be the same without the music. Their are several artists that still instantly remind me of Art Bell when I hear their songs. Royalty free music just would not be the same at all.

PathoJen

Quote from: CJJames on June 16, 2015, 02:29:08 PM
Hey gang, is there somewhere I can go to listen to Art's last couple (few?) radio tests? Have looked but have not found anything.
No, CJ, Art is still locked into that non complete, so nothing was aired, or recorded.

deadmeow

Art, no worries, no problem!  Plan B is solved.  The Art Bell/Richard Hoagland Cats of Cydonia podcast!  Who needs paranormal talk, when you can have cat talk! And my very kind friend will handle the free music for the podcast, no problem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

RoseGirl

Quote from: coaster on June 16, 2015, 02:32:11 PM
The show definitely would not be the same without the music. Their are several artists that still instantly remind me of Art Bell when I hear their songs. Royalty free music just would not be the same at all.

Yeah....I get that. But, you know, there are just such talented musicians out there that could solve the problem for him. Besides...new show, new feel: right? Maybe a little of the past needs to be there, but it's a whole brand spankin' new era and...well...creativity just needs to be expressed.

Can I get an Amen?

lol

Art Bart

The dire circumstances when Art becomes Bart ...

chefist

Quote from: coaster on June 16, 2015, 02:32:11 PM

This is an important point to analyze the "Threat"...what would the level of listenership be without the traditional music...what % would not tune in even if Art was back on because the music was not what was expected...could it be the same as if Olive Garden stopped serving their salad and bread sticks? That would go very bad for OG....

Cwn Annwn

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 16, 2015, 02:46:01 PM
The dire circumstances when Art becomes Bart ...

This is good. I'm relieved that Art would become Bart before deciding to throw in the towel.

cylon

This movie is very so good. I miss New York very so much. And art bell!

http://youtu.be/WMzsBTrfHJU

RoseGirl

Quote from: chefist on June 16, 2015, 02:53:46 PM
This is an important point to analyze the "Threat"...what would the level of listenership be without the traditional music...what % would not tune in even if Art was back on because the music was not what was expected...could it be the same as if Olive Garden stopped serving their salad and bread sticks? That would go very back for OG....

Course Art's music needs to be good, great even. But if you are tuning in to hear his music, might I suggest a record? I, myself, want to hear Art....and, to tell you the truth, the old music I almost completely associate with the old show. And that's a good thing....nostalgia, baby...love it.

But onward and upward, right? You never know, it might not be a good thing to anchor to the old tunes....ya know?

dunno...just my thoughts.

jerry

I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard that Keith said music kept under 30 seconds would be exempt from the fees.  that would mean pretty much only opening and closing songs would likely go over into the paid category?

Little Hater

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 02:45:22 PM
Yeah....I get that. But, you know, there are just such talented musicians out there that could solve the problem for him. Besides...new show, new feel: right? Maybe a little of the past needs to be there, but it's a whole brand spankin' new era and...well...creativity just needs to be expressed.

Can I get an Amen?

Amen, but you're fighting a losing battle. Art, and many, many here are obsessed with bumper music, the least important aspect of any talk radio shoiw, including Art's.

RoseGirl

Quote from: Little Hater on June 16, 2015, 03:03:03 PM
Amen, but you're fighting a losing battle. Art, and many, many here are obsessed with bumper music, the least important aspect of any talk radio shoiw, including Art's.

Perhaps if Art played a new song right after every old song...then he could wean people right into a new way of thinking. It might work. Knowing this bunch, though...perhaps we may need to get them drunk first. lol

Yeah...and I think the 30 second thing applies. Keith would know. Then he could play 30 seconds of the old tunes and still get that vibe too.