• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

AZZERAE

Ian needs to come back-- and pronto!

BobGrau

Quote from: Azzerae on January 24, 2014, 06:07:01 AM
Ian needs to come back-- and pronto!

Yes, I miss Pronto too.

AZZERAE

Quote from: BobGrau on January 24, 2014, 06:20:00 AM
Yes, I miss Pronto too.

Funny. Ian WAS one of the better hosts, though-- probably the reason why he left (coz everything has turned to sh*t on Coast)!

Nebraska888

Quote from: Azzerae on January 24, 2014, 09:57:17 AM
Funny. Ian WAS one of the better hosts, though-- probably the reason why he left (coz everything has turned to sh*t on Coast)!

Amen.......except for Knapp and the guest hosts like Schrader and Simone.   I miss Ian.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Nebraska888 on January 24, 2014, 12:14:59 PM
Amen.......except for Knapp and the guest hosts like Schrader and Simone.   I miss Ian.

I thought it was pretty cool when Schrader (I think it was him) would say "Next/When we come back, on Coast to Coast AM" when they hit the breaks-- top of the hour etc. He annunciates in a theatrical way. That's what makes talk radio-- and its Schrader making the show HIS OWN, the advice Art gave to George when he started out, and then TOOK OVER Coast! I do think George may have made the show his own by now, but in the wrong way... (Made it sh*tty!) :-(

P.S. It might have been Simone who did the thing with his voice-- so my apologies if I screwed that up. :-)
P.P.S I AM the sucker for still listening to George though, I don't hate him, I just have always loved the concept of Coast, so I can't let it go!

cweb

Quote from: Azzerae on January 25, 2014, 12:34:06 AM
I thought it was pretty cool when Schrader (I think it was him) would say "Next/When we come back, on Coast to Coast AM" when they hit the breaks-- top of the hour etc. He annunciates in a theatrical way. That's what makes talk radio-- and its Schrader making the show HIS OWN, the advice Art gave to George when he started out, and then TOOK OVER Coast! I do think George may have made the show his own by now, but in the wrong way... (Made it sh*tty!) :-(

P.S. It might have been Simone who did the thing with his voice-- so my apologies if I screwed that up. :-)
P.P.S I AM the sucker for still listening to George though, I don't hate him, I just have always loved the concept of Coast, so I can't let it go!

I enjoy the little bit of razzle-dazzle like that-- where Good Dave does his "spooky" voice going in to breaks, Knapp's well-scripted intro, even Ian's "This is Coast to Coast AM. I'm Ian Punnett." Heck, even Wells does it (though kind of overdoes it).

What guys like Snoorge forget is that the show needs a little bit of showman on top of these off-center topics!

Nebraska888

Quote from: Azzerae on January 25, 2014, 12:34:06 AM

Yep, agreed!

CJYolo

What was up with Ian the night he called in to preview his show with George and he started talking gibberish?  He said he wasn't drunk, but he sure sounded like it.

Little Hater

FYI - Using this or any other forum to spam links to your boring, forgettable blog is considered dirtbag behavior.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Little Hater on January 26, 2014, 08:25:57 AM
FYI - Using this or any other forum to spam links to your boring, forgettable blog is considered dirtbag behavior.

Hehe!

aman27deep

I like Bell a lot, but I have to say Ian was my favourite show. I didn't have the 'nostalgia' factor of listening to Bell since the early 90s so don't think I'm weird! Ian was first class, and I'm very sad with his health status.

With no known cure for Tennitus, I don't think he'll return - but I surely wish him the best of luck, and can pray the maybe he makes one/two shows on C2C a year... if possible.

Nebraska888

Quote from: aman27deep on January 31, 2014, 07:43:01 PM
I like Bell a lot, but I have to say Ian was my favourite show. I didn't have the 'nostalgia' factor of listening to Bell since the early 90s so don't think I'm weird! Ian was first class, and I'm very sad with his health status.

With no known cure for Tennitus, I don't think he'll return - but I surely wish him the best of luck, and can pray the maybe he makes one/two shows on C2C a year... if possible.

I'm big Ian fan too!  I miss him.  He's smart ( yes, he tried a little too hard to make his intelligence CLEAR to his listeners.....) but....every SINGLE question he asked initiated a further extension of the topic being discussed.  Love that.

Kingdomofnye

The main thing that bothered me about Ian was how he talked.  Lots of "uh" and "ums".  People always say he was prepared and well read, but most times he was on the show, it felt like he was making up questions on the spot as opposed to doing research before hand.  I dislike how he talks. 

Quote from: Kingdomofnye on February 02, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
The main thing that bothered me about Ian was how he talked.  Lots of "uh" and "ums".  People always say he was prepared and well read, but most times he was on the show, it felt like he was making up questions on the spot as opposed to doing research before hand.  I dislike how he talks.

If there was one thing that bothered me, besides his snorts now and then, it was his term "let's unpack this" that he used at the beginning of every segment.

zeebo

Quote from: HorrorReporter on February 02, 2014, 10:15:28 PM
If there was one thing that bothered me, besides his snorts now and then, it was his term "let's unpack this" that he used at the beginning of every segment.

He seemed to have a fascination with serial killers and assassinations and stuff like that which turned me off.  Also the "Where are you taking us tonight" phrase wore thin.

That said, he did have some great shows I thought and I appreciated that he did real research on the guests/topics.  Also it was refreshing once in a while to hear rather off-topic stuff for c2c.  (Kind of like a palate cleanser.)

Two shows I remember being really interesting were the one on the traits of the different generations people were born to and the one with the guy who researched all kinds of hallucinatory drugs and what they tell us about the human mind and reality.

DanTSX

Quote from: CJYolo on January 26, 2014, 05:33:35 AM
What was up with Ian the night he called in to preview his show with George and he started talking gibberish?  He said he wasn't drunk, but he sure sounded like it.

Bath Salts

and drunk

bateman

Quote from: zeebo on February 02, 2014, 11:01:51 PM
"Where are you taking us tonight"

That made my skin crawl.

slippingaway

Quote from: Kingdomofnye on February 02, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
Yeah, but he was at least thinking before asking questions, the uhs and ums were him trying to articulate while tired.  George has a script of questions that he just reads down, regardless as to whether or not the guest has already sufficently answered the question just asked.
Ian pissed me off one night when I called in to defend Manning and Wikileaks.  Say what you want about Manning, the content he revealed was important.  Civilian women and children being targeted by helicopter 50mm (?) cannons?  That story begged to be told. 

Peace Be Revenged!

Quote from: CJYolo on January 26, 2014, 05:33:35 AM

Obviously I got my screen name from that bizarre moment - you could tell that snoory had just as much a wtf moment from it as the rest of us... I'd love to know what happened that night - certainly something went wrong in poor Ians head. 

BTW, The name may seem like an attack, but I actually did for the most part like Ian Punnetts shows, sure he could sometimes go on a bit and was a bit of a showoff, but I liked his interviews with Peter Levenda among many others. One of his last shows was about ninjas, which was pretty entertaining with some great guest interaction and a hilarious lady caller who kept referring to 'neenyas' instead of ninjas.  Good times!

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 14, 2014, 09:55:46 AM
Obviously I got my screen name from that bizarre moment - you could tell that snoory had just as much a wtf moment from it as the rest of us... I'd love to know what happened that night - certainly something went wrong in poor Ians head. 
Ian suffers from severe tinnitus - severe enough that his doctors advised he quit radio, or go deaf.  The tinnitus caused him (may still cause him) to have severe headaches, resulting in insomnia.  The incident with him seeming to speak in tongues was, more or less, a waking dream, kind of like talking in your sleep, caused by insomnia.

albrecht

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 14, 2014, 09:55:46 AM
and a hilarious lady caller who kept referring to 'neenyas' instead of ninjas.  Good times!
That show was good. I like the World War Z show Ian did. Sort of a Orson Wells "War of the World" style.

I love it when guests and caller mispronounce things, especially when Ian tries to correct them but they continue on. Like the "neenya" lady. That was a classic. There is some guest, I forget who, who insists on pronouncing the word elite: "EYE-leete" , who are controlling and manipulating everything. Not the elites but the EYE-leetes.

I will have to check out WWZ somehow.;)

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 14, 2014, 10:23:12 AM
Ian suffers from severe tinnitus - severe enough that his doctors advised he quit radio, or go deaf.  The tinnitus caused him (may still cause him) to have severe headaches, resulting in insomnia.  The incident with him seeming to speak in tongues was, more or less, a waking dream, kind of like talking in your sleep, caused by insomnia.

I wondered if he was taking medication too, I listened to it several times over at the time, trying to make some sense of it - seemed like trying to explain the organisation of a soccer event combined with talk of an octopus that could predict the future just pushed his mind over some trippy edge. 

albrecht

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 15, 2014, 02:59:04 PM
I will have to check out WWZ somehow.;)

I wondered if he was taking medication too, I listened to it several times over at the time, trying to make some sense of it - seemed like trying to explain the organisation of a soccer event combined with talk of an octopus that could predict the future just pushed his mind over some trippy edge.
Strangely, this was not a medication induced psychosis but an actual, famous event (at least in the most of the world.) Before the WorldCup an octopus at an aquarium, I think in Germany or Denmark, was used to "predict" the football matches by selecting a spot or choosing between spots (or something.) It was featured in all the European and UK tabloids and tv shows. Interestingly, the octopus predictions would probably beat Hogue and the others on C2C just by random chance. I forget how accurate the creature was but its a gimmick used. I just saw something in our press that an ape, or some creature, predicted the Superbowl by similar method.

Quote from: albrecht on February 15, 2014, 03:46:46 PM
Strangely, this was not a medication induced psychosis but an actual, famous event (at least in the most of the world.) Before the WorldCup an octopus at an aquarium, I think in Germany or Denmark, was used to "predict" the football matches by selecting a spot or choosing between spots (or something.) It was featured in all the European and UK tabloids and tv shows. Interestingly, the octopus predictions would probably beat Hogue and the others on C2C just by random chance. I forget how accurate the creature was but its a gimmick used. I just saw something in our press that an ape, or some creature, predicted the Superbowl by similar method.

Yes, it was mention of the musings of Paul the Octopus on World Cup Soccer that threw Ian over the edge.

And you are right, going into the Super Bowl the Utah Zoo Ape had correctly picked the last 6 SB winners, and liked the Seahawks this year.  I wonder how Ian is dealing with that, especially considering two Florida Manatees had also correctly picked the past 6 Super Bowl winners, but were going with Denver this year.  Something had to give.

maybe he's been programmed by some stage hypnotist to start wigging out whenever an animal predicts the future.

BTW, can I have a real IP moment and just say that I knew the octopus was mentioned just before he started tripping balls, I think noory brought it up first. 

Because I'd hate to think that ya'll thought I didn't know something when I actually did... (blazes another packed bowl of flavored tobacco)

From Ian's Twitter feed

[attachimg=1]

Nebraska888

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 24, 2014, 02:00:58 PM
From Ian's Twitter feed

[attachimg=1]

My two favorite hosts.....I miss Ian.  Thank God we now have Schrader.

paladin1991

Maybe one of the hosts could invite Ian back for an update on his sitch and casual talk for an hour or so about favorite guests, musings and the occasional backwards speech for us to decipher.

cweb

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 24, 2014, 02:00:58 PM
From Ian's Twitter feed

[attachimg=1]
Glad that Knapp gave us an update on Ian during Saturday's show. I'm guessing this happy little pic is before they lit up the kush.  :D