• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

onan

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 06, 2011, 03:08:40 PM
Add to this a word that becomes more powerful as it becomes more meaningless: "community".

It is concerning, to me, that our "communal" voice is listened to regarding "American Idol". Or how are collective choice of beer is monitored regularly. But our ability to have a community for face to face stuff seems distant and at times too much work. Please like this on my fb page... gah.

b_dubb

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 06, 2011, 03:53:01 PM
I just want to wish everyone the best as the season is about to change to fall, my favorite season! I hope you're all healthy, happy, and enjoying life.  :)
thanks for that. right back at ya. also .... Happy Halloween!!!

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on September 06, 2011, 05:23:26 PM
thanks for that. right back at ya. also .... Happy Halloween!!!
Thank you! Hooray! You start early too!

Quote from: bAsem on September 06, 2011, 02:53:54 PM
hmmm stupid things ,,,, i always wondered what would've happened if someone went back in time and killed the dude who invented the interwebs ,, what would've happened then :O

Our attention spans would prob--- ooh, shiny!

Silent

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 06, 2011, 02:15:37 PM
I agree. I don't like Soulja Boy OR Hoffa, but there must be freedom of speech and it must be respected. Joining the military is noble, but take a look at Pat Tilman's (and other soldiers' problems/exploitation) outcome and I think there's something important in it. Henry Kissinger once said that if someone is stupid enough to join the military, he deserves to be used. Wow. And he is a regular on Faux News.

I don't know about that being a noble cause.  Or anything else for that matter.  The reality is that all service members are there, first and foremost, for personal reasons.  The noble cause idea is just used as a shield from criticism and a way of forcing respect, real or false, to feel superior.  Anything they do in the military which positively affects the country is completely secondary to their own ambitions.  I realize much of what they do, and have done, has a huge impact on average citizens but all niceties aside that's the reality of it.  If that paraphrase from Kissinger is accurate then he's being a bit harsh maybe.  I don't think stupid people join the military, just people who are willing to risk more than Kissinger in order to advance themselves.  Some might call that stupid but I think there's a distinct difference.

onan

Quote from: Silent on September 07, 2011, 06:08:44 AM
I don't know about that being a noble cause.  Or anything else for that matter.  The reality is that all service members are there, first and foremost, for personal reasons.  The noble cause idea is just used as a shield from criticism and a way of forcing respect, real or false, to feel superior.  Anything they do in the military which positively affects the country is completely secondary to their own ambitions.  I realize much of what they do, and have done, has a huge impact on average citizens but all niceties aside that's the reality of it.  If that paraphrase from Kissinger is accurate then he's being a bit harsh maybe.  I don't think stupid people join the military, just people who are willing to risk more than Kissinger in order to advance themselves.  Some might call that stupid but I think there's a distinct difference.

I think you sum it up very well. By and large we are all motivated for personal reasons. And many do enlist in the military for noble reasons. Reasons like not finding work, the potential for academic advancements after serving. But there are also reasons of propaganda, like the video of brave adventurers slaying a dragon then morphing into marines or repositioning a satellite to bring the world safe.

It has been my experience that many in positions of authority do believe spending time in the military is counter productive to achieving the "American Dream", whatever that means. When a talking head uses the terms brave, safeguarding, patriotism, they are blowing smoke up your ass.

All that being said, I do not think, Silent, you may have a full understanding of just how many never consider enlisting in the military. Because of the let some other (stupid) guy do it.

Is Kissinger wrong that many that enlist are not near the brightest? No, and he is a fucknut for not raging against that mentality. More soldiers than not never face combat. But combat isn't the only aspect of what is noble in the military. The very thing that so many are not interested in is the sacrifice. And even if one has no other options, once someone signs and swears they are not leaving. Even if they have fulfilled their "contract", the small print can keep them there for years.

It isn't a comfortable spot to accept praise when one is being sincerely humble. I appreciate what you have done.

Silent

Quote from: onan on September 07, 2011, 06:55:09 AM
I think you sum it up very well. By and large we are all motivated for personal reasons. And many do enlist in the military for noble reasons. Reasons like not finding work, the potential for academic advancements after serving. But there are also reasons of propaganda, like the video of brave adventurers slaying a dragon then morphing into marines or repositioning a satellite to bring the world safe.

It has been my experience that many in positions of authority do believe spending time in the military is counter productive to achieving the "American Dream", whatever that means. When a talking head uses the terms brave, safeguarding, patriotism, they are blowing smoke up your ass.

All that being said, I do not think, Silent, you may have a full understanding of just how many never consider enlisting in the military. Because of the let some other (stupid) guy do it.

Is Kissinger wrong that many that enlist are not near the brightest? No, and he is a fucknut for not raging against that mentality. More soldiers than not never face combat. But combat isn't the only aspect of what is noble in the military. The very thing that so many are not interested in is the sacrifice. And even if one has no other options, once someone signs and swears they are not leaving. Even if they have fulfilled their "contract", the small print can keep them there for years.

It isn't a comfortable spot to accept praise when one is being sincerely humble. I appreciate what you have done.

Very nicely put, your posts usually get my brain going.  I think our definitions of noble are a bit different is all.  I can see how your ideas can be seen that way but I was thinking more in a strict sense of a selfless, putting others first, mentality.  Which I don't believe exists in any form when you really peel away the layers of motivation and look at the psycology of why we make decisions.

I was being too all inclusive with my comment about stupid people joining the military.  Sure there's some who buy into the propoganda or for whatever reason don't know what they're getting into, and maybe never realize, but by and large I think most know exactly what they're doing and don't fit the stereotype of the dumb grunt.  It's easy for some people to see the whole thing as a dumb idea because they just can't mentally put themselves into a position where joining would be advantageous.  I'm fully aware of the stereotype society has about enlisted military, and the unwillingness to join, no matter how hidden it is in the name of political correctness.  In fact I can totally understand it since for most people there's no reason to take those risks.  It's not a question of brave vs. coward but a question of "what's in it for me?"  If everyone were well educated and had decent access to good paying jobs we would need to have mandatory military service.

Drunken elk are common in Sweden during the autumn season when there are plenty of apples lying around on the ground and hanging from branches in Swedish gardens.

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 06, 2011, 03:53:01 PM
I just want to wish everyone the best as the season is about to change to fall, my favorite season! I hope you're all healthy, happy, and enjoying life.  :)
Thanks FG. I also love the Fall (Oct especially). Cool nights with lots of stars. The smell of fire places. Halloween! Love it.

basem

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 07, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
Thanks FG. I also love the Fall (Oct especially). Cool nights with lots of stars. The smell of fire places. Halloween! Love it.

yes i also like the smell of halloween :)

Interesting conversation this morning regarding service in the military. I`m a disabled veteran with 12 years service, and from my point-of-view, people join and serve for many different reasons.

With that said, I think most civilians and those who have not worn the uniform, don`t fully comprehend the most important factor explaining why people continue to re-enlist and serve -- even during times of war. Comaraderie, Esprit de Corps, band of brothers, call it what you like, there`s a particular bond that you share with your sisters and brothers that serve. Just ask the family and friends of my former shipmate, Mike Monsoor. He didn`t do what he did because he`s stupid, needed a job, or any other ridiculous reason. He did it because it was going to save his team, his brothers. Sacrificing one`s self for the good of loved ones. The folks in the military do it every single day of the week..and twice on Sunday and holidays.

Scully

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 07, 2011, 02:42:38 PM
Interesting conversation this morning regarding service in the military. I`m a disabled veteran with 12 years service, and from my point-of-view, people join and serve for many different reasons.

With that said, I think most civilians and those who have not worn the uniform, don`t fully comprehend the most important factor explaining why people continue to re-enlist and serve -- even during times of war. Comaraderie, Esprit de Corps, band of brothers, call it what you like, there`s a particular bond that you share with your sisters and brothers that serve. Just ask the family and friends of my former shipmate, Mike Monsoor. He didn`t do what he did because he`s stupid, needed a job, or any other ridiculous reason. He did it because it was going to save his team, his brothers. Sacrificing one`s self for the good of loved ones. The folks in the military do it every single day of the week..and twice on Sunday and holidays.

Thanks for that rejoinder, Fight the Future.  I know from personal experience that there are those who have been raised by parents who believe in the principles you mention and have passed that on to their families.  My late husband was one of those people who truly wanted to make a difference in other people's lives.  His whole family is like that. They're good people and so are many others like them.  Better than me.  I'm much more selfish.

Frys Girl

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 07, 2011, 02:42:38 PM

I had a student who once told me the same thing. She said that she could walk into a restaurant and if a vet is there, they can just talk. There's an understanding and you're right, civilians don't get it. I won't even pretend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

punkinpie

I seem to remember reading on these boards a while back that several of us had tinnitus.  (likely why we are up listening to the radio all night) 

My husband brought home a bottle of pills from the drug store today called Lipo-Flavonoid that is supposed to be helpful for Meniere's & tinnitus.  You're supposed to take one or two after each meal. 

The claim is that it helps blood flow to the ears and prevents histamines. 

Has anyone else ever tried this? 

Frys Girl

Quote from: punkinpie on September 09, 2011, 06:38:41 PM
I seem to remember reading on these boards a while back that several of us had tinnitus.  (likely why we are up listening to the radio all night) 

My husband brought home a bottle of pills from the drug store today called Lipo-Flavonoid that is supposed to be helpful for Meniere's & tinnitus.  You're supposed to take one or two after each meal. 

The claim is that it helps blood flow to the ears and prevents histamines. 

Has anyone else ever tried this?
This might seem ridiculous, but Ian Punnett has tinnitus and might help you if no one here can. You can probably e-mail him and ask him, and he'll reply.

punkinpie

I don't think that there is much that can be done for it.  Thankfully, mine comes and goes.  A lot of people don't have that luxury.  Even though these supplements sounded hokey I will try it.  When it hits I'm desperate for relief.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: punkinpie on September 09, 2011, 08:46:11 PM
I don't think that there is much that can be done for it.  Thankfully, mine comes and goes.  A lot of people don't have that luxury.  Even though these supplements sounded hokey I will try it.  When it hits I'm desperate for relief.
Let me know how that goes. I have not heard a moment of silence in years. I have no recollection of what that's like.

I'd be willing to try almost anything, but I'm not too crazy about taking pills for something like this.

/sad_song

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

punkinpie

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on September 10, 2011, 12:52:19 AM
Let me know how that goes. I have not heard a moment of silence in years. I have no recollection of what that's like.

I'd be willing to try almost anything, but I'm not too crazy about taking pills for something like this.

/sad_song

Sent from my DROIDX

I did a bit of research online about the ingredients.  It is various vitamins and something called Lemon Bioflavonoid.  Of course when I google that the results are all sites selling the stuff, but I did manage to find a bit about it on WebMD.  There are no known side effects.  Since my tinnitus comes and goes, I may not be the best testimonial about if it works or not.  It could have just resolved itself without the help of the supplements.  I do have constant fullness in my ear that I would be thrilled to get rid of.

Here's a link to the WebMD information:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-545-Lemon+Bioflavonoid+LEMON.aspx?activeIngredientId=545&activeIngredientName=Lemon+Bioflavonoid+(LEMON)&source=2

This is a link to what he bought for me.  The reviews on Walgreen's website are all over the place. 

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/lipo-flavonoid-plus-ear-health-formula-dietary-supplement-caplets/ID=prod4103606-product

Silent

I walked outside to get a bit of fresh air since the house is a little warm and stuffy tonight.  The full moon is unusually bright this evening and the air is a perfect temperature.  There's just a small bite of coldness hinting at the coming season along with a slight breeze carrying the sounds of crickets.  The brightness of the moon is working it's way into places not usually seen at night.  I light a cigarette and take a few sips of wine creating that perfect balance of chemicals in my brain to stimulate my thoughts.

Looking across the glowing landscape in front of me I imagine what it may have looked like one hundred years ago, or even one thousand years, and wish I could've been there to see it.  The relative darkness and silence of night deprive my senses making them more acute.  A feeling of calm creeps, takes me over, as I reach a peaceful state where reality is gone.  Everything in my world doesn't matter now.  The problems and responsibilities I have are miles away.  I've experienced this feeling before.  However it cannot be planned for or willfully created.  My eyes wander from the landscape to the moon itself and the stars surrounding it.  How many other people are staring at the exact same thing right now, feeling what I'm feeling?  Another taste of wine and flare of tobacco.  Thoughts seems to slowly fade out as I just stare into the sky and absorb the night.

Everything makes sense.  Everything is worth these moments of solitary reflections on existance.

Suddenly my state of mind is broken to my dismay.  Reality comes rushing back to me with a disturbing force.  After a moment of reorientation I realize my cell phone is ringing in my pocket.  I walk back into the house poorly feigning a desire to talk about football with my friend as I feel a sadness settle in.  Untill next time, strange feeling.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Silent on September 12, 2011, 09:05:39 PM

Suddenly my state of mind is broken to my dismay.  Reality comes rushing back to me with a disturbing force.  After a moment of reorientation I realize my cell phone is ringing in my pocket.  I walk back into the house poorly feigning a desire to talk about football with my friend as I feel a sadness settle in.  Untill next time, strange feeling.
if my cell rings and there isn't potential $$$ waiting for me on the other end, i probably won't answer.  PARTICULARLY while enjoying a nice evening outside.

MV/Liberace!

Would anyone like to buy a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate from me?

It was given to me and is in virtually perfect condition cosmetically. Functionally, it IS perfect.

I have flashed Cyanogenmod 7 to it rather than the awful, bloated version of Android put there originally by Samsung. It runs soooo sweetly now.

Comes with no SD card or SIM card. Is manufactured for AT&T but will also work with T-Mobile.

Make me an offer if interested. You can take a look at Ebay to see what they're typically going for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

b_dubb

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on September 12, 2011, 10:25:42 PM
if my cell rings and there isn't potential $$$ waiting for me on the other end, i probably won't answer.  PARTICULARLY while enjoying a nice evening outside.

Haha.. a few times, I remember such moments being interrupted by a text message just chock full of meaning:

"What are you doing?"

My response is typically:

"Having a stroke.  You?"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 14, 2011, 09:52:57 PM
Haha.. a few times, I remember such moments being interrupted by a text message just chock full of meaning:

"What are you doing?"

My response is typically:

"Having a stroke.  You?"
the appropriate way to respond is, "using scissors to stab a man named gerald.  you?"

Silent, Silent....I apologize first off.  I read your post waiting for the fart joke.  I was actually into another thread when it hit me.  Have I become so jaded and cynical that I miss a very heartfelt and beautiful essay?  Why, yes I have! :(

Anyway....I went back and read it again.  Wonderful, and very nice.  It made me smile, in a good way.   :) 

Thank you.

valdez

Quote from: Silent on September 12, 2011, 09:05:39 PM
I walked outside to get a bit of fresh air since the house is a little warm and stuffy tonight.  The full moon is unusually bright this evening and the air is a perfect temperature...
Quote from: Treading Water on September 15, 2011, 04:55:04 AM
Silent, Silent....I apologize first off.  I read your post waiting for the fart joke.  I was actually into another thread when it hit me.  Have I become so jaded and cynical that I miss a very heartfelt and beautiful essay?  Why, yes I have! :(

Anyway....I went back and read it again.  Wonderful, and very nice.  It made me smile, in a good way.   :) 

Thank you.

Thank you, Treading, for drawing my attention to Silent's post.  Thank you, Silent.

Silent

Thanks for the kind response guys.  That kind of thing really isn't something I do but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  I wrote that right after it happened just to see if I could translate it into words.  Should the mood ever strike again I'll try to fit in a fart joke or two for TW.  ;D