• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Amy On The Radio

Started by JesusJuice, April 20, 2016, 11:38:15 PM

GravitySucks

Amy appears to be back in the hospital. Seems to be having difficulty with the nose job. Hope she heals up soon. I thought she looked fine. I hope she didn't go full out Michael Jackson.

https://twitter.com/hauntedskeptic_/status/861239319843012609

WOTR

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 05, 2017, 01:55:20 PM
Ok here's what she should do if she wants to still charge for a show that isn't on a regular schedule....wait for it....find some sap to sit in her place and promise to return....I feel like this may have been done before ::)

(Best part she never has to come back and the money keeps rolling in. Just a thought)

Are you volunteering?  PBS vs. HW... I would listen to PBS.

On a side note, has her show officially given up the (prairie)ghost yet?

Kolchak

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 03:10:20 PM
Amy appears to be back in the hospital. Seems to be having difficulty with the nose job. Hope she heals up soon. I thought she looked fine. I hope she didn't go full out Michael Jackson.

https://twitter.com/hauntedskeptic_/status/861239319843012609

Face, neck and ear pain? All at the same time? Unrelated to the septoplasty? Sheesh. Talk about bum luck.

whoozit

Might it rhyme with mitochondria?

albrecht

I've had many jobs but I never realized until these past few years how dangerous, stressful, and drama-fueled the radio hosting world is. Sure I, like Norry who was inspired by it (wtf?,) saw the movie "Talk Radio" and recall the early days of Art's lawsuits, drama, personal incidents, etc but WTF with radio, even over the internet, host's problems? It seems like they never end or fail to come up with new, novel problems and incidents. From stalkers to health problems, from feuds between staff to feuds between hosts, to technical issues, even down to simple things like squeaking chairs. It is bizarre.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on May 07, 2017, 06:38:31 PM
I've had many jobs but I never realized until these past few years how dangerous, stressful, and drama-fueled the radio hosting world is. Sure I, like Norry who was inspired by it (wtf?,) saw the movie "Talk Radio" and recall the early days of Art's lawsuits, drama, personal incidents, etc but WTF with radio, even over the internet, host's problems? It seems like they never end or fail to come up with new, novel problems and incidents. From stalkers to health problems, from feuds between staff to feuds between hosts, to technical issues, even down to simple things like squeaking chairs. It is bizarre.

I'm a big Eric Bogosian fan! He's on the latest season of Billions.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 06:48:41 PM
I'm a big Eric Bogosian fan! He's on the latest season of Billions.  ;)
He was good in "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on May 07, 2017, 06:53:15 PM
He was good in "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory."

His one man shows back in the day were the best! Check out Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll. They made a movie out of that one but it's just him on stage, in front of an audience. Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Talk Radio is based on one of his one man plays too.

GravitySucks

Alan Berg comes to mind. Never listened to him. On a side note, seems like justice was served by the authorities without the need for hate crime laws.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 07:13:05 PM
Alan Berg comes to mind. Never listened to him. On a side note, seems like justice was served by the authorities without the need for hate crime laws.

Bogosian based Talk Radio on him.  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Berg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1XDPaj92k4

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 07:13:05 PM
Yeah, I believe that "Talk Radio" was based off of that case. Which is why it is weird to me that Norry mentioned it as "motivation" to be in radio, as I recall. What, a radio host who is gunned down motivates you to want that job? :o Yeah, who cares about motivation. You commit murder you should take the long nap or the long time inside a cell. The idea that some people who are killed are worth more than others is weird. Now, if there are other crimes also committed prior to the murder than certainly you get longer sentences etc (rape, in commission of another crime, etc.)

K_Dubb

I think radio combines two tendencies not often found together:  the antisocial, which makes talking to yourself in a dark room appealing, and the grandiose, which makes you believe other people might want to hear it.

Juan

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 07, 2017, 07:20:51 PM
I think radio combines two tendencies not often found together:  the antisocial, which makes talking to yourself in a dark room appealing, and the grandiose, which makes you believe other people might want to hear it.
Perfect

GravitySucks

When I was in the air force I met a guy that had been a DJ on some armed forces radio station, maybe Kadena in Japan. His living room wall was bookcases filled with reel-to-reel tapes. He had a killer sound system and tape deck, but all he ever wanted to listen to were his own shows.

Strange but true, there was another guy that lived in my barracks that for a long time I thought might have actually been Art Bell. But Art was never stationed in Plattsburgh. This guy might have been a tad shorter, a tad heavier and a tad more antisocial, but had similar facial features and same ears. Actually a lot more antisocial. This guy's room (he didn't have a roommate) was stacked floor to ceiling with SW gear. He ran a MARS station relaying calls from overseas. Pretty sure he listened in to all of them too. This was back in the day when long distance cost A LOT, so MARS was a way to talk to loved ones overseas by connecting phone rebroadcast across SW.

Used to drive us nuts because whenever he was transmitting, it would interfere with our stereos. Not just AM and FM, but t even trying to listen to vinyl.

Wish I had a picture of that guy to put up next to Art's.

albrecht

Spot on.
A local AM guy here Jeff Ward frequently comments that he doesn't understand social media, doesn't like being in public or corporate meetings and events, "I'm just a guy who sits in a dark room and talks." He also thinks everything is economics and frequently raises the ire of the older, Republican listeners (probably biggest AM demographic here,) and especially Trump supporters, with his economic analysis of everything and talking about how Republicans like "big government" just as much as Democrats and protectionism is economically stupid. And tax-payers shouldn't be taxed to buy stadiums for billionaires. Likewise the lefties decry him because he doesn't like libraries, government spending, most regulation, "green" projects, and blames fat people, and fascination for celebrity, for our healthcare crisis and political problems.

GravitySucks

But every once in awhile, you find somebody like Connie Willis that just wants to get stoned and have a good time. You just know there have to be tiddie pictures out there somewhere.

RoseGirl

There may be a third tendency involved; that of a deep, smoldering urge to vent your spleen at what ever appears to be a faceless person, an intriguing voice, a disembodied no one meandering gently across the airwaves. All those angers, all those daily hurts, all those disappointments in life. The host isn't a person, you see...merely an appealing, invisible target speaking to you throughout the night. An easy victory and, for those that need it, a willing 'listener' to blame.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 07:34:11 PM
When I was in the air force I met a guy that had been a DJ on some armed forces radio station, maybe Kadena in Japan. His living room wall was bookcases filled with reel-to-reel tapes. He had a killer sound sustem and tape deck, but all he ever wanted to listen to were his own shows.

Strange but true, there was another guy that lived in my barracks that for a long time I thought might have actually been Art Bell. But Art was never stationed in Plattsburgh. This guy might have been a tad shorter, a tad heavier and a tad more antisocial, but had similar facial features and same ears. Actually a lot more antisocial. This guy's room (he didn't have a roommate) was stacked floor to ceiling with SW gear. He ran a MARS station relaying calls from overseas. Pretty sure he listened in to all of them too. This was back in the day when long distance cost A LOT, so MARS was a way to talk to loved ones overseas by connecting phone rebroadcast across SW.

Used to drive us nuts because whenever he was transmitting, it would interfere with our stereos. Not just AM and FM, but t even trying to listen to vinyl.

Interesting. I don't know where Art was posted etc but that would be hilarious if same guy. How interfere with vinyl listening, just RF interference? Once I lived somewhere and we were all "stealing" cable or telephone lines. I could get, on certain channel, on my tv NOT plugged into cable but only power-cord, though the cable channel were ghosting and not great signal. There also was some weird issue getting the flight beacon signal from the old airport on one channel (I guess we became an antennae and/or the cable stealing and all the boosters and old wiring got me a signal through the power outlet? Weird.) Also when the cable company busted us they had some kind of meter measuring signal bleed or something to detect stolen cable and the guy said "off the charts." Also busted by the telephone company and serious "talk" because the neighborhood switchboard was in our basement. Some idiot called Bell (not Art but Ma, I think, maybe SWB)  for service on his phone before we could tell him not to do so. They show up, he calls headquarters (after taking off all the wiring so none of us had phones), cops show up, and a FBI guy shows up. (This decades ago.) Concerned more if we tapped the neighborhood box, not, so much about bridging lines on ours to share one account between rooms and save $ for us college kids. We hadn't, so none issue but "serious talking to." I'm still not sure how a junction box would be in a private party's basement but it was. But hilarious at the time and looking back.

Dr. MD MD

You do want to hear it. It's why you listen.  ::)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 07:54:57 PM
You do want to hear it. It's why you listen.  ::)

Yes but, in some cases, like Hoagie's, not always for the reasons they think.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on May 07, 2017, 07:59:44 PM
Yes but, in some cases, like Hoagie's, not always for the reasons they think.

True enough. Carry on.

mikuthing01

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 07, 2017, 07:50:56 PM
There may be a third tendency involved; that of a deep, smoldering urge to vent your spleen at what ever appears to be a faceless person, an intriguing voice, a disembodied no one meandering gently across the airwaves. All those angers, all those daily hurts, all those disappointments in life. The host isn't a person, you see...merely an appealing, invisible target speaking to you throughout the night. An easy victory and, for those that need it, a willing 'listener' to blame.

The hacker known as "4chan" is looking for you, RoseGirl.

K_Dubb

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 07:34:11 PM
When I was in the air force I met a guy that had been a DJ on some armed forces radio station, maybe Kadena in Japan. His living room wall was bookcases filled with reel-to-reel tapes. He had a killer sound system and tape deck, but all he ever wanted to listen to were his own shows.

Ha, see?  There was a certain type attracted to radio.  There was an amateur radio group at church when I was growing up that met after wednesday prayer meeting.  Bunch of gimpy fuckers.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 07, 2017, 08:51:06 PM
Ha, see?  There was a certain type attracted to radio.  There was an amateur radio group at church when I was growing up that met after wednesday prayer meeting.  Bunch of gimpy fuckers.

What's the name of your cult?  ???

Jackstar

Quote from: rekcuf on May 07, 2017, 08:32:52 PM
The hacker known as "4chan" is looking for you, RoseGirl.

Oh, shiver me timbers.

Quote from: Jackstar on May 07, 2017, 09:04:46 PM
Oh, shiver me timbers.

How much polenta could RoseGirl eat?

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on May 03, 2017, 06:56:04 PM
Is there some secret retreat where all these radio hosts go after having a few shows? Especially since, at least a few of them, have invested some $$ in equipment. Amy, Bateman (though at least he still is working on one and does his John Bachelor stuff,) Art, RCH, that crazy guy who worked the various shows (then made threats and left in a huff and claimed to start his own- some kind of bodybuilder as I recall.l) Where do they all go?
I listen to Batchelor fm time to time.  What does Bateman do for the old guy?  Cabana boi?

paladin1991

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 03, 2017, 07:02:55 PM
She said she is having throat surgery Friday, so my guess is it will be awhile.

For an android AI, she sure spends a lot of time in the shop.
*sly look around*  Throat surgery, huh?