• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Whitley Strieber

Started by Ruteger, July 26, 2010, 05:35:04 PM

SnoopDawgg

Let me go out on a limb here and say I don't believe Whitley is a liar. Certainly not in the sense that James Van Praagh and Ed Dames are.

I'm not saying his stories are factually accurate either. But I just don't get the impression that he is knowingly lying. The details, the tenor of his voice, etc. In other words, I believe he believes what he is saying.

Another way to look at this is what does he get out of making such claims? Van Praagh and Dames, as far as I can tell, make their living as con men. Whitley writes novels, a handful of which have done kinda well and/or garnered movie options. I don't know how much you guys know about the book business, but this still doesn't translate into a lot of money. To put it another way, if he was after money, he would probably be ahead financially by now if he had just spent those hours working for minimum wage at the local gas station.

Now look at the negatives for coming forward with such claims. He has to spend the rest of his life as being the guy who got "probed" - to put it tactfully - by aliens. Everywhere he goes, every day for the rest of his life. If he was going to lie, wouldn't it make more sense from a PR standpoint to claim, I don't know, something like he heroically fought off an abduction team of Grays?

Here's what I believe. Somewhere, sometime, this guy - to not put it tactfully - got raped. I think we can all agree that this would be among the top most traumatic events to ever befall a person. And the human brain is a complicated thing. Sometimes it processes highly traumatic events in ways that don't make any sense whatsoever to us outside observers. Now add to that that he has come forward as a public figure in a hotly debated, "fringe" issue, might have mental issues, and is also something of a vulnerable guy. You know as well as I do that there are people out there who predate on vulnerable people like carnivores on a wounded gazelle. People - like maybe this fellow "The Keymaster" who supposedly showed up at his hotel room door, could very likely be flat out fucking with him for whatever twisted reason.

In conclusion, my impression is that Whitley deserves your sympathy, not your scorn. I don't feel like he intends you any harm.

coaster

Even his wife told him to stop changing his story so much because no one was going to believe him. He tells a good story, but its not true.

ChewMouse

Quote from: SnoopDawgg on October 17, 2012, 08:00:35 PM
In conclusion, my impression is that Whitley deserves your sympathy, not your scorn. I don't feel like he intends you any harm.
Fine. You certainly are entitled to your opinion, until you tell me that Whitley Strieber deserves my sympathy. He deserves nothing from me. pfft! pfft! I maintain my belief that he is a liar, not some poor PTSD case. He also owns two expensive homes and still receives payment for his books and movies. The man doesn't work and his claims of poverty are perhaps his most ridiculous lies of all.

Welcome to CoastGab.

stevesh

QuoteVan Praagh and Dames, as far as I can tell, make their living as con men.

Agreed.

QuoteWhitley writes novels, a handful of which have done kinda well and/or garnered movie options. I don't know how much you guys know about the book business, but this still doesn't translate into a lot of money.

I know a tad bit about the book business. Communion alone sold two million copies (hardback and paperback combined), let alone all his other titles, including the one he wrote with Art Bell, which was a best-seller and made into a movie. If he isn't financially comfortable, he has the worst agent or the worst financial adviser in the world, or both.

QuoteTo put it another way, if he was after money, he would probably be ahead financially by now if he had just spent those hours working for minimum wage at the local gas station.

Just plain wrong.

QuoteNow look at the negatives for coming forward with such claims. He has to spend the rest of his life as being the guy who got "probed" - to put it tactfully - by aliens.

There are no such negatives to a narcissistic hustler like Strieber. I think he enjoys being seen as a rape victim.

My take on Whitley Strieber is that he submitted Communion to his publisher as fiction, and some smart marketer there said, "You know, if you pretended this was true ..." and the rest is literary and con man history.

I give people like Strieber (and Van Praagh and Dames, Winkowski and Hogue, too) a little of the benefit of the doubt by thinking of them as performance artists. I judge their products and appearances on C2C on their performances rather than on the veracity of their presentations, if any.

But feel sorry for Strieber ? You must be joking. A liar who spins his tales on a grand scale is still just a liar.

SnoopDawgg

Look, I spoke my mind and I certainly appreciate your responses.

Further, I appreciate being welcomed to this forum and the opportunity to share my opinions on C2C with likeminded folks.

But I'd ask some of you to take a step back and look at what you are writing. With all due respect, CHEWMOUSE wrote that Strieber doesn't work. What's going to happen if he goes down to the local temp agency and they read the name on his resume? Are they likely to give him an assignment? If not, why? Also, with all due respect, STEVESH wrote that Strieber enjoys being perceived as a rape victim. I think if you value your metaphoric membership in the Reasonable Human Being Club, you have to back up an accusation like that. You also wrote that COMMUNION was some conspiracy amongst Strieber and multiple employees of his publisher, risking their careers on something that would be a bizarre gamble. If you are a reasonable person, you have to also back something like that up with facts.

With Dames, to me it's a different story. One can point out as a fact that none of his predictions have turned out, yet he still sells prediction services to gullible people. ITSOVER further pointed out (paraphrasing) that one of Dames' predictions was that a Space Shuttle would explode before the Killshot, and that the Shuttle program has been retired, so that's an impossibility. Also Dames' backstory strains credulity. If the Army saw any value in Dames' services or Remote Viewing in general, why would they let him go... or at the very least not prosecute him for revealing classified information (One would assume the capability to bend the physical universe would carry some sort of secrecy agreement)? The logical conclusion is that he's a flim flam man.

Here's the tl; dr version - Prove that Strieber doesn't believe what he is claiming. (I gave you a reasonable explanation in the above post as to why he would believe such extreme claims.) Do so and I will be the first to acknowledge the correctness of your position and admit my naivety. But if you can't, I think some of you need to admit to yourselves that you're being Anonymous Internet Meanies (Yes I just coined that term) and to a possible rape victim no less.

MV/Liberace!

hi, snoop.  good posts. welcome to the forums.

coaster

Remember when Strieber claimed to see drones outside his window? The same drones Linda Moulton Howe dry-humped to death on the radio? The same drones that where proven to be a hoax? Strieber is a liar, a hoaxer, and a fraud. He jumped on the alien bandwagon because he knew there was money to be made. Hes even said that the whole alien experience could of been a dream or hallucination. Anyone who actually believes Strieber got raped by aliens needs to have their head examined.
One thing I do admire about Strieber is he used this hoax to push the global warming agenda with books like The Coming Global Superstorm and Day After Tomorrow. People being more aware of the enviroment is a good thing, even if they have to hear it from a nutjob.

Juan

Quote from: SnoopDawgg on October 18, 2012, 03:43:22 PM
metaphoric membership in the Reasonable Human Being Club,

I'm not sure anyone here every claimed membership in that.

ItsOver

Quote from: coaster on October 18, 2012, 04:16:33 PM
Remember when Strieber claimed to see drones outside his window? The same drones Linda Moulton Howe dry-humped to death on the radio? The same drones that where proven to be a hoax? Strieber is a liar, a hoaxer, and a fraud. He jumped on the alien bandwagon because he knew there was money to be made. Hes even said that the whole alien experience could of been a dream or hallucination. Anyone who actually believes Strieber got raped by aliens needs to have their head examined.
One thing I do admire about Strieber is he used this hoax to push the global warming agenda with books like The Coming Global Superstorm and Day After Tomorrow. People being more aware of the enviroment is a good thing, even if they have to hear it from a nutjob.

I think you've pretty much nailed it with Strieber.  He's an opportunist.  He picks up on the current cultural trends of the moment and attempts to make a dollar from it.  He can write and has some talent so I don't really fault him for trying to make a buck.  He did well with "The Hunger," not long after Ann Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" and way before the current "Twilight" saga.  He came up with his Communion stuff when alien abduction was a fairly new paranormal topic, with folks like Bud Hopkins.  Strieber saw an opportunity with Art, especially with Dreamland and Art's interest in climate change and what he termed "The Quickening."  Strieber no doubt reached to the drones topic to see what he could milk from that.  Who knows what Strieber will try to run with next.  If he's counting on the Nooron for ideas, he be better off REALLY being abducted by aliens.  ::)

Sardondi

Wow. I had not known there was this much antipathy toward Strieber. Myself, I've always been more or less embarrassed for the man and what I had viewed as his obsession with telling every last goddam private thing in his life. I also had wondered whether at heart his books were the result of PTSD from a sexual assault either as a child or adult, but by a human or humans, not aliens. I had always thought him kind of sad and pathetic, but nothing like the kind of liar, blackguard and mountebank which frauds such as Hoagland and Dames are.

ItsOver

The biggest problem I've had with Strieber on the radio is his voice.  He has a voice made for TV.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

strieber is just another guy out there shucking and jiving to avoid real work.  godspeed.

stevesh

Quote from: SnoopDawgg on October 18, 2012, 03:43:22 PM
Also, with all due respect, STEVESH wrote that Strieber enjoys being perceived as a rape victim. I think if you value your metaphoric membership in the Reasonable Human Being Club, you have to back up an accusation like that. You also wrote that COMMUNION was some conspiracy amongst Strieber and multiple employees of his publisher, risking their careers on something that would be a bizarre gamble. If you are a reasonable person, you have to also back something like that up with facts.

Welcome to CoastGab. It's interesting that your suppositions in your original post don't require fact-checking, but mine do. Probably best to quote me completely - I said: "There are no such negatives to a narcissistic hustler like Strieber.  I think he enjoys being seen as a rape victim", in the same way that you said: "Here's what I believe. Somewhere, sometime, this guy - to not put it tactfully - got raped." No citation needed  for your assertion ?

I think my Reasonable Human Being Club membership is current and paid-up, but I don't think it requires me to only think positive thoughts about lying frauds like Whitley Strieber, nor does it prevent me from suspecting minions from a company as large as HarperCollins might come up with a scheme to separate the more gullible among us from more of their money.

You can, I think, be reasonable without being a sap.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: coaster on October 18, 2012, 04:16:33 PM

I was going to mention this situation. This was a clincher for me that Strieber makes things up. All the alien drone pictures and vids on YOUTUBE had been analyzed and found to be photoshoped. Everyone dropped the alien drone thing like a hot coal. But good old LMH and Whitley kept it up. And "coincidentally" Whitley had a sighting in Santa Monica. This was also the time when he suddenly went dimensional traveling in his pajamas simply by going into the living room. This just "coincidentally" coincided with his book 2012, which was about Reptilian beings who were dimensionally traveling her and back to their world, and intended to invade and repopulate Earth.  I assume if Whitley writes a book about the Great Spaghetti God in the sky, he will see a giant plate of spaghetti and meatballs in the sky and dutifully report it to George Noory.

b_dubb

Strieber sold millions of copies of his books AND got multiple movie deals. He is NOT hurting for money. Unless the aliens took that too when he got abducted

Probed? Did Strieber ever actually say he got probed? Been a few decades since I bothered to read Communion

stevesh

Quote from: b_dubb on November 05, 2012, 11:09:06 AM
Strieber sold millions of copies of his books AND got multiple movie deals. He is NOT hurting for money. Unless the aliens took that too when he got abducted

Probed? Did Strieber ever actually say he got probed? Been a few decades since I bothered to read Communion

I'm not sure about Communion, but Streiber has claimed more than once on C2C that he was 'raped'. Assuming he's not an hermaphrodite, that would imply anally.

ChandlersDad

According to Strieber, the instrument used on his anal canal ripped the "tubing" inside, and that he still has problems with it today, decades later, which requires ongoing medical assistance.

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: ChandlersDad on November 05, 2012, 11:20:30 PM
According to Strieber, the instrument used on his anal canal ripped the "tubing" inside, and that he still has problems with it today, decades later, which requires ongoing medical assistance.

Those Aliens do the darndest things. I could make him some Native American herbal tea that would make him empty his bowels in under 30 minutes, and take care of that ripped Anal Canal for certain. Whitley, if you're reading this

Quote from: stevesh on November 05, 2012, 01:28:18 PM
I'm not sure about Communion, but Streiber has claimed more than once on C2C that he was 'raped'. Assuming he's not an hermaphrodite, that would imply anally.

I think he usually talks about the collection of sperm in terms of rape. But I am not opposed to the idea that Whitley got turd burgled.

ufogadfly

Quote from: HAL 9000 on September 12, 2011, 12:24:08 AM

Here is the movie "A Boy and His Dog" :

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/1577168139/A.Boy.and.His.Dog.avi

With respect, Hal, please stop using light-colored fonts on a white background!  ;)

HAL 9000

Quote from: ufogadfly on January 15, 2013, 03:39:22 PMWith respect, Hal, please stop using light-colored fonts on a white background!  ;)

With respect, you're too new around here to know that not long ago, this forum had a dark theme, so light-colored characters were the norm. When CG changed to this light blue theme, the characters from older posts did not translate into corresponding dark colors as most other forums do when given a choice of theme color. Apparently a bug in the "theme translation" portion of the software.

:o

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 15, 2013, 05:20:12 PM
Apparently a bug in the "theme translation" portion of the software.

:o

it's not a bug.   the feature simply doesn't exist (which sucks).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on January 15, 2013, 05:26:34 PM

it's not a bug.   the feature simply doesn't exist (which sucks).

on reflection, there might be some way to make it happen, but it would probably be a database manipulation of some kind which i'd have to look into.  i'm not that "leet."

Just "highlight" it. 
Works for me.   :)

DAE

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on September 19, 2011, 12:12:04 AM
In my opinion he is semi-boring; he tells the same stories over, and over, and over, and then over again.

That's why I decreased my fondness for Whitley.  I like when guests are continually progressing, even if a tad quirky.  At one time I was floored by Drunvalo Melchizedek's Flower of Life material, until his research never became updated or never grew beyond his initial offerings.  Whit reminds me of Dru.

Lunger

Listening to Strieber on the FineArt Stream now and all I can think of is; "What an Asshole!"

Did you ever notice that everything always happens Whitley.

I read 'Communion' when it first came out, but based on that he is also a terrible writer.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Lunger on February 21, 2013, 11:25:40 AM
...he is also a terrible writer.

That doesn't seem to matter anymore.  As long as you can put one word after another and give it a title it can get published.  (With the right connections, of course).

Sardondi

Whitley's story seems to get better and better as time goes on. But I am struck when I listen to the AB Stream how genuine he sounds (which of course can be faked) and how emotionally labile he is. He sounds like he's going to break down sobbing at any minute.

BigDave

I believe in Aliens and the possibility of Alien abductions. In that light,I can't say Whitley is a nut. I can't imagine what it would be like to be poked and prodded by Aliens like that :o