• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Whitley Strieber

Started by Ruteger, July 26, 2010, 05:35:04 PM

onan

I have a tough time listening to Strieber. His voice... well his voice. I can't stand his spalding-gray-swimming-to-cambodia style of self importance and self discovery. That being said he has sold a crap ton more books than all of us together...

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on June 12, 2013, 05:04:37 PM
....I can't stand his spalding-gray-swimming-to-cambodia style of self importance and self discovery...
That is so perfect.

Lunger

I have a tough time listening to Strieber. His voice... well his voice. I can't stand his spalding-gray-swimming-to-cambodia style of self importance and self discovery. That being said he has sold a crap ton more books than all of us together...

I was just thinking that Strieber was the Spalding Gray of crap, but then I realized that Spalding Gray was the Spalding Gray of crap.

coaster

I'm listening to the show that was on the other day with Strieber. He was talking about his wife's illness. Still getting over a stroke, and now this. Just horrible.

This.  This is just....
This is why I so look forward to checking in here.  ::)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: coaster on July 16, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
I'm listening to the show that was on the other day with Strieber. He was talking about his wife's illness. Still getting over a stroke, and now this. Just horrible.

what happened?

coaster

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2013, 07:44:52 PM

what happened?
Looks like she has a couple brain tumors. probably fatal.

That nails it perfectly. But I do feel badly for him and for his wife Anne. I remember the night she had the stroke and you could tell from his voice how broken up Art was over the news. I hope for the best for her.

onan

Yeah Whitley wasn't my favorite host, but I certainly don't have any desire to see him or his wife suffer.

That's sad... about Anne... I hadn't heard that...

I originally came to this thread to ask if anyone knew anything/ any documentation  of the plants that were flash frozen and found in glaciers that Whitley and Art used to talk about... I've heard Whitley reference it several times over several old shows...   

henge0stone

I personally really enjoy all his shows. I enjoy hearing his many views about abduction and what it could be, how it could be related to other things. He is a very good storyteller too (since he's an author) and weaves a good tale.

Now is he in any way credible? No not at all. He didn't work for the military, wasn't privy to any kind knowledge a normal person might not have. I guess he could sorta be called a researcher but his bias is so obvious that can't be credible. Still he's interesting to listen to. Maybe something happen to him who knows but I only believe about 10 % could be possible.

AZZERAE

Aside from the early Dreamland Communion interview and The Visitor Experience show on Coast to Coast, what was THE Coast to Coast show Whitley Strieber first broke news of Communion experiences, and in-depth?

Was there ever a show dedicated to it?

I know Whitey was on A LOT, but I have never come across the show where the Communion years began...

And the Dark Matter show wasn't all that great in my opinion! :-(

henge0stone

1997-11-19 about the UFOs and weird crap in Glenrock was one of my favorite Strieber episode. The eyewitnesses and the sheer strangeness of the town and the stories made an awesome show. I remember him talking about his early experiences a bit in that show but they didn't go really in depth. I think Dark Matter was the show where he talked most about it but he was really angry in that appearance, probably because after more than a decade people were starting to get sick of his routine.

SredniVashtar

Like Ed Dames, Whitley has a creepy way of speaking that makes you feel that he is saying the same thing all the time. I don't think your credibility is exactly going to be helped by being a novelist, where you are expected to lie for a living. I heard him on one of those dull internet shows that he took over from Art Bell (can't remember the name of it now) where he had someone on he was interviewing who was critical of him and he totally lost it, so he obviously has a bit of a temper. Maybe he never got over that case of the Martian clap from whoever he was communing with.

AZZERAE

Quote from: henge0stone on February 21, 2015, 05:05:35 PM
1997-11-19 about the UFOs and weird crap in Glenrock was one of my favorite Strieber episode. The eyewitnesses and the sheer strangeness of the town and the stories made an awesome show. I remember him talking about his early experiences a bit in that show but they didn't go really in depth. I think Dark Matter was the show where he talked most about it but he was really angry in that appearance, probably because after more than a decade people were starting to get sick of his routine.

Thanks for sharing this show date with me! I don't have it, but I'm going to look around for it. I feel like Whitley always begins on a great story and then never finishes. Its actually the thing about him that keeps me interested in all his interviews-- because its like you never know where its gonna go.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 21, 2015, 05:15:25 PM
Like Ed Dames, Whitley has a creepy way of speaking that makes you feel that he is saying the same thing all the time. I don't think your credibility is exactly going to be helped by being a novelist, where you are expected to lie for a living. I heard him on one of those dull internet shows that he took over from Art Bell (can't remember the name of it now) where he had someone on he was interviewing who was critical of him and he totally lost it, so he obviously has a bit of a temper. Maybe he never got over that case of the Martian clap from whoever he was communing with.

Hahahahahaha

Whitley contracted an ETD, an "extra-terrestrial disease," the one the Martians have a slang word for: the "Venus Fly Claptrap."

henge0stone

Quote from: Azzerae on February 23, 2015, 03:08:49 AM
Thanks for sharing this show date with me! I don't have it, but I'm going to look around for it. I feel like Whitley always begins on a great story and then never finishes. Its actually the thing about him that keeps me interested in all his interviews-- because its like you never know where its gonna go.

It wasn't on the 1993-2003 archive but its on williedee's 1300 show one

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,5021.0.html

I highly recommend it, its got way more shows and guests that the other archive didn't have including tons more Dreamlands.

AZZERAE

Quote from: henge0stone on February 23, 2015, 02:31:17 PM
It wasn't on the 1993-2003 archive but its on williedee's 1300 show one

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,5021.0.html

I highly recommend it, its got way more shows and guests that the other archive didn't have including tons more Dreamlands.

Thank you very much, henge0stone!

AZZERAE

I remember on one show, Whitley was trying to explain something and he was stuttering a whole lot more than usual... and he said that he feels the words are on the tip of his tongue, but he couldn't say some of them.

Perhaps the implant he has can alter his speech, stopping him from saying certain things the Visitors don't want him to say.

SredniVashtar

I think the thing about Strieber is that he got there first, so that gives him a certain amount of 'respect'. When you listen to other alien abduction types - and I am thinking about Jim Sparks - you just think 'so what?'. We call all make up a story about getting abducted and what went on in a spaceship but it is no more valid than anybody else's if you haven't got the slightest bit of proof. I haven't read Communion, but I have heard people say that they think highly of it. Trouble was, he didn't have much to offer after that, and has to go on about other stuff that doesn't have novelty value any more. There was one thing he did about The Master of the Key, and it makes you wonder how stupid he thinks we all are if he expects to take all of his nonsense any more.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 27, 2015, 11:30:13 AM
I think the thing about Strieber is that he got there first, so that gives him a certain amount of 'respect'. When you listen to other alien abduction types - and I am thinking about Jim Sparks - you just think 'so what?'. We call all make up a story about getting abducted and what went on in a spaceship but it is no more valid than anybody else's if you haven't got the slightest bit of proof. I haven't read Communion, but I have heard people say that they think highly of it. Trouble was, he didn't have much to offer after that, and has to go on about other stuff that doesn't have novelty value any more. There was one thing he did about The Master of the Key, and it makes you wonder how stupid he thinks we all are if he expects to take all of his nonsense any more.

I also slowly realized this fact of Strieber being first over the finish line as it were!

I agree that although Sparks' story was captivating, it pales when weighed against Whitley's encounters with the Visitors.

As I was raised in a religious home, I feel slightly differently than you when it comes to proof because I have always had belief in God without ever having laid my eyes upon Him. So I tend to believe most people by going on the sincerity alone.

I respect your opinion, but I do disagree with you on Strieber's works being nonsense. I think he has a difficult time differentiating between being the Fiction Author and then switching to having to wear the true-life encounter/experiencers hat though... I tend to have faith that the creatures interacted with are real, but not from our dimension or definition of scientific reality (perhaps a bleed through or tear between a middle plateau and here).

The Fiction work is a clear separation I can navigate through, in my mind, at least. But I get how folks have difficulty with Strieber or are skeptical of his antics.

I really enjoy your perspective on all this however-- Sredni! :-)

henge0stone

Anyone remember the interview where he met a random person who went into the bathroom and came out with a glass of white liquid. Then Whitley drank it and the next thing he remembered was being in the bathroom wondering what he did :o

It was so odd, I'm like 90 % sure he was raped or calling this an alien encounter is his way of masking his first homosexual experience.

expat

No, but I remember the one when Ann went for a piss at the Magic Circle party and was sure no other ladies were in there, yet a "mystery woman" followed her out. The embarrassing part was that they proceeded to interrogate this poor woman about how she got in there. You can imagine her thinking "Who the fuck ARE these creeps?"

DanTSX

Quote from: expat on June 14, 2015, 01:21:16 PM
No, but I remember the one when Ann went for a piss at the Magic Circle party and was sure no other ladies were in there, yet a "mystery woman" followed her out. The embarrassing part was that they proceeded to interrogate this poor woman about how she got in there. You can imagine her thinking "Who the fuck ARE these creeps?"

Starchild! ;D

DanTSX

Quote from: henge0stone on June 14, 2015, 11:57:23 AM
Anyone remember the interview where he met a random person who went into the bathroom and came out with a glass of white liquid. Then Whitley drank it and the next thing he remembered was being in the bathroom wondering what he did :o

It was so odd, I'm like 90 % sure he was raped or calling this an alien encounter is his way of masking his first homosexual experience.

And his ass was sore AGAIN!

I dont think its aliens giving him mental blocks.

Jackstar

Quote from: henge0stone on June 14, 2015, 11:57:23 AM

Do you mean this one?

DanTSX

So has elron Hubbard and bill and Nancy birnes....

Yet Strieber intrigues me.  If he's has been contacted, the space aliens fucked his grape good.  Set up contactees to sound more and more loony as time goes on, and you don't have to worry about them "remembering" their encounter.....

If he just stopped developing the theme after communion, he'd be ok.  Now he just sounds like crazy ass John Lear.  Communion scared the piss out of me as a child.  The cover art shut me down, and still makes me uncomfortable.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: Azzerae on February 23, 2015, 03:08:49 AM

I believe the very FIRST interview that Art Bell had with Whitley Strieber was on DREAMLAND while Art Bell hosted. It could have been in 1995. At the time, Strieber was known as a real "diva" with a hair trigger temper. Art Bell treated him like royalty, as if Art was afraid Strieber might have a hissy fit and hang up.