• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Whitley Strieber

Started by Ruteger, July 26, 2010, 05:35:04 PM

Ruteger

Why not WS as a C2C host? He's seems more intelligent and entertaining than any three hosts of C2C these days. Of course, he's got www.unknowncountry.com, so that's where I go now to listen to the real deal.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Ruteger on July 26, 2010, 05:35:04 PM
Why not WS as a C2C host? He's seems more intelligent and entertaining than any three hosts of C2C these days. Of course, he's got www.unknowncountry.com, so that's where I go now to listen to the real deal.  ;)
i don't know.  i can recall when he took over hosting dreamland, and i found him to be rather bland and boring as a radio host.  maybe he's gotten better.

saab93driver

Quote from: MV on July 26, 2010, 07:06:34 PM
i don't know.  i can recall when he took over hosting dreamland, and i found him to be rather bland and boring as a radio host.  maybe he's gotten better.

I had the same impression.  I have dreamland setup as a live bookmark on my browser but after a few shows I never even listen to it, I just couldn't get into it.

I like to listen to radio shows vs music on long transatlantic flights which I take several times a year and also long car trips.  In my effort to look for an Art Bell replacement my brain has turned to mush now and I occasionally listen to the Rollye James Show stream and had a subscription to Hilly Rose on Fate Magazine for a while.  Both have guest hosted Coast at one time or another but I guess both flopped but are tolerable to me in small doses.  There used to be a show on internet radio  called Paranormal Radio with Captain Jack that could be pretty entertaining on C2C topics but he hasn't done anything in a while that I can find.  When I'm feeling kinky and old school I throw in a Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall episode and that can be entertaining and I always have a few on my mp3 player.

I personally can't stand Whitley Strieber. The only context I know him in is as a guest on Coast To Coast but from that imagining listening to him full-time would drive me crazy. He comes across as a snake oil salesmen with his books, the way he presents himself, and his slow dramatic style. If you think Art Chicken Littles about the weather imagine how many subjects Whitley would. However I imagine Coast To Coast would return to much more of it's roots with Whitley and he'd probably capable of some gripping radio. I also imagine that he would've been Art's pick for his replacement what with his already taking over Dreamland. However he's pretty out there for Clear Channel. I don't know maybe I need to listen to some of the shows Strieber hosted.

Saab if you really want to get old school, you could always pop some old time radio Dragnet or Lux Radio Theater episodes on your ipod. There's a great website at http://www.otr.net that I've spent many hours listening to all the archives there. "I was a communist for the FBI!" is also a favorite.

saab93driver

Great links, thanks for the tip.  I forgot all about The Inner Sanctum....

I, very occasionally, listen to Unknown Country. He does - from time to time - have interesting guests. His production quality is terrible, however. The audio levels are always way off. If I'm going to listen to it I can only do it while I'm at my computer as I constantly have to adjust the volume between him and his guest via telephone. He's a little further out-there than I personally prefer and the fact he's also a fiction writer - and seems to sell his fiction as "fictionalized accounts of what may really be happening / about to happen" makes him less credible.

I've often wondered about Whitley ... he says he first told Anne Streiber about his abduction experiences because he was afraid she would think he was having an affair on her. I've often wondered if he was and this isn't just an excuse that got way out of control and ran away from him.

As for alternatives, about 4-5 months ago I started listening to Mysterious Universe, which is a 90-minute Wednesday podcast with an optional (for $9.99/month) 90-minute weekend edition. After about a month of listening I canceled my Streamlink subscription (which I never really used anyway) I bought MU's weekend-edition subscription. It's hosted by two guys in Australia who I guess are probably in their late 20s or early 30s. They have a casual style about them and do apply some level of skepticism to the most outrageous claims. It's pretty much a Diggnation format podcast, with a summary of all the paranormal news from that week, but they usually get at least one guest on and have had pretty decent ones. They do the podcast full time so the production quality is up there. I really can't recommend it enough.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: RecoveringNoorholic on July 30, 2010, 10:48:55 PM
I've often wondered about Whitley ... he says he first told Anne Streiber about his abduction experiences because he was afraid she would think he was having an affair on her. I've often wondered if he was and this isn't just an excuse that got way out of control and ran away from him.
WOW.  that is some BRILLIANT analysis of his story.  imagine what that train ride has been like for him, from its beginning until today, if your take is correct!  HA!!  i wish the karma system were still in place.  you'd be plus a few for today.

HAL 9000

Whitley Strieber is a nutjob.

Do I read or listen to any of his bull$hit? NO! However, here is his latest missive in eBook format (epub and mobi)

The Key: A True Encounter by Whitley Strieber

From the bestselling author of Communion comes the mysterious true story of how an unknown visitor barged into Streiber's hotel room late one night--and imparted extraordinary lessons in personal development and man's fate that challenge us to rethink every assumption about the meaning of life.

At two-thirty in the morning of June 6, 1998, Whitley Streiber was awakened by somebody knocking on his hotel room door. A man came in, and everything he said was life-altering.

This is the unsettling and ultimately enlightening narrative of what happened that night. Strieber was never really sure who this strange and knowing visitor was--a "Master of Wisdom"? A figure from a different realm of consciousness? A preternaturally intelligent being? He called him the Master of the Key. The one thing of which Strieber was certain is that both the man and the encounter were real.

The main concern of the Master of the Key is to save each of us from self-imprisonment. "Mankind is trapped," the stranger tells Strieber. "I want to help you spring the trap." In a sweeping exchange between Strieber and the stranger--which takes the form of a classical student- teacher dialogue in pursuit of inner understanding--the unknown man presents a lesson in human potential, esoteric psychology, and man's fate. He illuminates why man has been caught in a cycle of repeat violence and self-destruction--and the slender, but very real, possibility for release.

In its breadth and intimacy, The Key is on par with contemporary metaphysical traditions, such as A Course in Miracles, or even with the dialogues of modern wisdom teachers, such as D.T. Suzuki and Carl Jung.

Download here: http://www.rapidshare.com/files/442197692/Whitley.Strieber.The.Key-A.True.Encounter.rar

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eddie Coyle

Whitley and Carl Jung...hmm,I think not.

When I think about it in retrospect, Christopher Walken was way too normal to play Whitley in "Communion".

Morgus

Whitley recently has been telling about a conspiracy involving this small book that originally came out about 10 years ago.
He recently discovered parts were altered/missing after publishing, so he rereleased it recently with the parts restored.
The conspiracy was some powerful secret group must not have wanted the information from the Master of the Key to get out in its original form?

b_dubb

I sometimes wonder if most of what Strieber claims is a side effect of not being adequately praised as a child. This could be applied to a lot of the C2C guests

stevesh

I've come to look at Strieber (and others like James Van Praagh and Mary Ann Winkowski) as performance artists. Their nonsense is easier to take that way, as you can judge the quality of their performances rather than the veracity (or lack thereof) of what they're saying. Have to give Strieber credit, I think, for sticking to the same story this long.

livingdead70

Well you have to consider that Whitley Strieber was a screen writer, working on movies such as Wolfen and The Hunger. After working on several so so performing movies, all of the sudden he was abducted by aliens? Right.
t

onan

Quote from: livingdead70 on September 08, 2011, 03:48:26 PM
After working on several so so performing movies, all of the sudden he was abducted by aliens? Right.

I remember reading Communion. I thought it was a much earlier writing than mid-80's... ahhh memory.

I think strieber used the vague term visitors... but yeah he was talking et's.

I wanted that story to be true... I guess he is a low rent Carlos Castaneda.

Scully

Quote from: onan on September 08, 2011, 03:55:18 PM
I remember reading Communion. I thought it was a much earlier writing than mid-80's... ahhh memory.

I wanted Castaneda's stuff to be true, too. Giving up my blankie has been hard.  :'(

Quote from: onan on September 08, 2011, 03:55:18 PM

I read Communion and at the time it scared the hell out of me. Not sure how well it holds up but back then it was a great read.

I don't take a word the guy says seriously but his writing was effective.

Quote from: HAL 9000 on September 07, 2011, 11:19:19 PM
Whitley Strieber is a nutjob.
I heard Strieber interviewed by Art once talking about his "alien abduction". He actually said on the air that the aliens shoved an electronic device up his ass in order to stimulate his prostate to give them a semen sample. He  actually said that shit! WTF???
I don't know if he is nuts or something along the lines of a disinformation agent of some sort. No, I do not believe his ufo jiveass psychobabble.
For someone that is insane, he seems to be at least functional and capable of being an author and talkshow guest. Which leads me to believe the latter.
Was Strieber ever connected with "General A"?

Frys Girl

Thanks for posting this! I take whatever Whitley Strieber says/writes as fiction. It can be enjoyed so long as you don't take it seriously.

fysisist

I also had a man knock on my hotel room door early one morning.  I also found what the man said to me to be life altering.  He said, "Turn around and put your hands behind your back.  You have the right to remain silent...".

Frys Girl

Quote from: fysisist on September 09, 2011, 03:52:51 PM
I also had a man knock on my hotel room door early one morning.  I also found what the man said to me to be life altering.  He said, "Turn around and put your hands behind your back.  You have the right to remain silent...".
LMAO. Your posts are so funny.

I think Whitley writes fiction and sells a lot of books.  Successful marketing, eh?

HAL 9000

Quote from: Treading Water on September 09, 2011, 05:46:41 PMI think Whitley writes fiction and sells a lot of books.  Successful marketing, eh?

Except that, what he claims are non-fiction, are actually fiction.

Two of Strieber's Audiobooks

Communion: http://www.rapidshare.com/files/3437978456/Strieber.Communion.mp3

Transformation: http://www.rapidshare.com/files/4215559218/Strieber.The.Transformation.mp3

Hardshell

I think that Whitley and Hoagland are a celluar gene split as in twins where both overtures are excelled in BS and the other qualities of each are excelled in fantasy which together, they compile the logic of 'fictional, pathalogical, mental, subversive distored reality'...A true mix for popularity fabrication against the masses of the pre and pro delusional...I onced mentioned to him a double contradiction he made on a subject yeilding him future monies through his sensationalisms of it and  the $$$ to be made from that work and he popped a cork on me and the 'litttle kid' anger came out of  him in a heartbeat but he had nothing to stand on in the conversation. He was wrong and he knew it! Then on I have wondered how Whitley would have taken the same situation of exposure to his falsenss. I see them both being disproved totally in the near future---which I would welcome but then it would end the entertainment we receive from Whitleys, "whose gonna be around the next corner waiting for him or even moving into his apt complex & RCH's space war.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hardshell on September 09, 2011, 09:41:50 PM
I onced mentioned to him a double contradiction he made on a subject yeilding him future monies through his sensationalisms of it and  the $$$ to be made from that work and he popped a cork on me and the 'litttle kid' anger came out of  him in a heartbeat but he had nothing to stand on in the conversation. He was wrong and he knew it!
Some further detail about this incident would be interesting to read.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on September 09, 2011, 11:01:31 PM
Some further detail about this incident would be interesting to read.

Ditto.      Big time!     Leave nothing out.   ;)

Like George, upon discovering C2C, I actually enjoyed Whitley... until I realised that he also likes the smell of his own bullshit.

My particular favourite story is that of the small being that followed him around after his abduction experience... anyone heard that?  ;D

pabigfoot

May I respectively disagree with my Coastgab friends about Whitley. I try to never miss him on coast and I have read a number of his books including Warday, Majestic, Communion, and Transformation. Yes, things get a little *far out* in some cases, but the UFO topic is just that; In some cases-as I believe Whit constantly intimates-we, as humans, cannot grasp that which we have no reference point. BTW, I always wanted to see a feature-length movie done with Warday. Warday is a great novel showing what the U.S. would be like after a limited nuclear exchange. Good day to all !

Quote from: pabigfoot on September 10, 2011, 07:13:01 AM
   May I respectively disagree with my Coastgab friends about Whitley. I try to never miss him on coast and I have read a number of his books including Warday, Majestic, Communion, and Transformation. Yes, things get a little *far out* in some cases, but the UFO topic is just that; In some cases-as I believe Whit constantly intimates-we, as humans, cannot grasp that which we have no reference point. BTW, I always wanted to see a feature-length movie done with Warday. Warday is a great novel showing what the U.S. would be like after a limited nuclear exchange. Good day to all !

I do admit, I still feel compelled to listen to hear him when he's on. He's interesting and articulate at the very least, but he does like himself a *bit* too much for me...

McPhallus

Was that the midget who smoked like a maniac and hung out in the woods?

Gotta admit, the guy knows how to tell an interesting story.

Quote from: noorysmoustache on September 10, 2011, 06:47:36 AM
Like George, upon discovering C2C, I actually enjoyed Whitley... until I realised that he also likes the smell of his own bullshit.

My particular favourite story is that of the small being that followed him around after his abduction experience... anyone heard that?  ;D

Quote from: McPhallus on September 10, 2011, 12:00:39 PM
Was that the midget who smoked like a maniac and hung out in the woods?

Gotta admit, the guy knows how to tell an interesting story.

Hahaha, yes, that's the one! Brilliant!