• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

WOTR

The professor has a list of "recommended reading" on his website.  Nothing to sell, nothing to push- just the writings of others to help people understand?

Perhaps that is why this show was amazing and honest?

RoseGirl

Is that Gumby guy still yammering? He went on ignore in a split second.

We love ya, Art. Great show. Thanks for playin' hurt tonight.

Spinner

I'm getting a

Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script /index.php/topic,8555.new.html

chefist

Quote from: Gassy Man on August 27, 2015, 12:56:17 AM
His advice on the doctorate -- though perhaps his blunt honesty might come across as friendly arrogance -- is correct.  People who think a doctorate is just another degree have a whole world of hurt waiting for them (and might at the master's level, too).

PhD = Piled higher n Deeper

Chronaut

Quote from: AL5J on August 27, 2015, 12:53:21 AM
I was born in the same hospital that Janis Joplin was. St. Mary's hospital in Port Arthur Texas.
I know a Black Irish girl who sings like Janis Joplin and looks like Audrey Hepburn.  She won’t marry me because I don’t sing like Mick Jagger and look like James Dean.  I need my custom James Dean-Jagger bot for a brain download Now dammit!

ShayP

Quote from: norland2424 on August 27, 2015, 12:53:47 AM
i hope they where good in the sack atleast to put up with that kind bs  ;D

It just mattered that they were in the sack. I was old before my time.  jeez...what is my life?  :-\

lonevoice

27 years is the new 42. 

Professor Hutter was possibly my favorite guest so far.  Well above my paygrade, but able to make his thoughts accessible if I worked at it.  He made the work worthwhile. 

Thank you also, smart people of Bellgab that made me work to understand some of your posts tonight too.  Very refreshing!

Professor Cutter even raised the bar for the callers tonight.  Interesting.

Great show, Art.  You can do this while simultaneously grieving and working on zero sleep?  Amazing.

G'night, all.

Juan Cena

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 27, 2015, 12:39:48 AM
I like Peter Davenport on there. DMRN needs to steal him and give him a hour show after Hollywood Hoags to give us UFO updates.

Or have Peter as part of Dark Matter news giving UFO updates.

nbirnes

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 27, 2015, 12:57:16 AM
We love ya, Art. Great show. Thanks for playin' hurt tonight.

Yes. Thank you! Wonderful show!!

Gassy Man

Quote from: chefist on August 27, 2015, 12:57:34 AM
PhD = Piled higher n Deeper
That's what some people say.  Beats ignorance, though.

chefist

Quote from: lonevoice on August 27, 2015, 12:58:08 AM
27 years is the new 42. 

Professor Hutter was possibly my favorite guest so far.  Well above my paygrade, but able to make his thoughts accessible if I worked at it.  He made the work worthwhile. 

Thank you also, smart people of Bellgab that made me work to understand some of your posts tonight too.  Very refreshing!

Professor Cutter even raised the bar for the callers tonight.  Interesting.

Great show, Art.  You can do this while simultaneously grieving and working on zero sleep?  Amazing.

G'night, all.

Goodnight Lone!

WanagoBleu

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 27, 2015, 12:50:51 AM
Yep. If we are indeed the collective sum of our memories and that's it, then shit's about to change for the human race. If we are supernaturally something else, a soul, then shit's about to change for the human race because when you don't die then spirituality goes obsolete.
ohhhh...I don't know, if we're immortal, there is so much to spirituality to explore. So many dimensions, beings, .....

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 27, 2015, 12:48:26 AM
Again, you're talking about memory. Alzheimer's affects the brain's ability to function. That's different from the idea of what could be called a "soul."

Also the ability of preserving the body via biotech is dependent on outside forces. The ability to prolong life only exists if the biotech continues to exist or is able to be maintained.

Yeah, but a malfunctioning brain is revealing. If you take it from the standpoint that we are the collective sum of our memories, then when those memories get obliterated by a disease, well, that's all she wrote. We are just a collection of neurons.

If you take it from the position that we are a soul, which implies some supernatural aspect to this, then that gets screwed when biotech makes us immortal, which is probably less than 50 years from now if Aubrey de Grey and others are right. The vast majority of spirituality rests on the crutch that we eventually die and go somewhere. Not all, but the vast majority. The whole point of a soul is to survive death. When you don't die, then the idea becomes obsolete.

Chronaut

Quote from: WOTR on August 27, 2015, 12:56:43 AM
The professor has a list of "recommended reading" on his website.  Nothing to sell, nothing to push- just the writings of others to help people understand?

Perhaps that is why this show was amazing and honest?
Yeah this guy is great - on nights like these I really  crave that extra hour of interview time...

Juan Cena

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 27, 2015, 12:57:03 AM
Is that Gumby guy still yammering? He went on ignore in a split second.

He was looking for Pokey.

ShayP

This has been a good time and great show.  Bummer Hoagies out because the guest/topic was awesome.  regardless....I enjoy my time with you fuckos.  :D

AL5J

Quote from: MV on August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM
Listen live to Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert:
High quality AAC stream, click here.
MP3 stream, click here.

Call Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert.
Phone:  952-225-5278
North America Skype:  mitd51
Overseas Skype:  mitd55

This thread will be unlocked just prior to show time tonight (9PM Pacific, 12AM Eastern).  Midnight in the Desert airs Monday-Friday from Midnight-3AM Eastern.  That's 9PM to midnight Pacific.

Hi MV! Great show!  73/88 & Out!

zeebo

Excellent show.  Have so many more questions I want to hear asked!  Hope this guest comes back sometime. 

Thanks Art for doing the show under the circumstances. 

Quote from: Chronaut on August 27, 2015, 12:57:53 AM
I know a Black Irish girl who sings like Janis Joplin and looks like Audrey Hepburn.  She won’t marry me because I don’t sing like Mick Jagger and look like James Dean.  I need my custom James Dean-Jagger bot for a brain download Now dammit!

I went to HS with Vanna White. A nicer sweeter girl I have yet to meet. Even to this day

GeoNemesis

This guy was pretty good. However, I'd like to suggest Art interview Ben Goertzel. He is also into AI and does a lot of public speaking, and I think is coming at this work from a slightly different perspective than this Dr. Hutter. I think Ben would be more likely to engage Art's audience's imagination than Marcus.

AL5J

Quote from: Chronaut on August 27, 2015, 12:57:53 AM
[/quote

....ok

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 27, 2015, 12:59:31 AM
Yeah, but a malfunctioning brain is revealing. If you take it from the standpoint that we are the collective sum of our memories, then when those memories get obliterated by a disease, well, that's all she wrote. We are just a collection of neurons.

If you take it from the position that we are a soul, which implies some supernatural aspect to this, then that gets screwed when biotech makes us immortal, which is probably less than 50 years from now if Aubrey de Grey and others are right. The vast majority of spirituality rests on the crutch that we eventually die and go somewhere. Not all, but the vast majority. The whole point of a soul is to survive death. When you don't die, then the idea becomes obsolete.

Memories maybe souls it seems to me. The soul maybe just that, memories of our relationships, that maybe it and they continue on after we leave this body, so neither the idea of a memory that dies correct nor a soul that never dies, just memories captured in the light and viewable from other dimensions.

Chronaut

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 27, 2015, 01:01:34 AM

I went to HS with Vanna White. A nicer sweeter girl I have yet to meet. Even to this day
Hmmm...a beauty with a big heart...that's a rare find my friend...

WOTR

Quote from: WanagoBleu on August 27, 2015, 12:59:22 AM
ohhhh...I don't know, if we're immortal, there is so much to spirituality to explore. So many dimensions, beings, .....
I lean towards the idea that it is not "us" who would be immortal, but rather a shadow or an approximation. The irrational, forgetful, imperfect "us" would cease to exist and be replaced by something else.

The argument could probably be made that it would be "us" evolved- I cling to my (possibly irrational) belief that it would be no more "us" than a clone raised in an alternate universe...