• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

K_Dubb

Similar question:  has anyone tried epazote?  I saw it listed as a seasoning for refried beans and discovered it's an herb I've never knowingly tasted.

I discovered pandan only last year -- what an excellent flavor in sweet things!

GravitySucks

Quote from: K_Dubb on March 07, 2016, 10:40:18 PM
Similar question:  has anyone tried epazote?  I saw it listed as a seasoning for refried beans and discovered it's an herb I've never knowingly tasted.

I discovered pandan only last year -- what an excellent flavor in sweet things!

Yes. Down here we call it Mexican tea. A lot like oregano, but stronger and a little spicy. People down here use oregano if they don't have epazote.

K_Dubb

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 07, 2016, 11:05:17 PM
Yes. Down here we call it Mexican tea. A lot like oregano, but stronger and a little spicy. People down here use oregano if they don't have epazote.

Thanks, didn't realize they were interchangeable.  Would you put it in chili?

GravitySucks

Quote from: K_Dubb on March 07, 2016, 11:08:32 PM
Thanks, didn't realize they were interchangeable.  Would you put it in chili?

It works in chili. But it is stronger than oregano.

maureen

try epazote in a quesadilla... cheese on a wheat tortilla;  or a cream of bean soup with epazote....lovely flavour!!

K_Dubb

Quote from: maureen on March 08, 2016, 03:18:50 PM
try epazote in a quesadilla... cheese on a wheat tortilla;  or a cream of bean soup with epazote....lovely flavour!!

That is an excellent suggestion, Maureen, thank you.

pate

Quote from: albrecht on March 07, 2016, 10:09:42 PM
Let us know how the corned beef goes. Nothing better for the St.Pat's day hangover and for the pre-day breakfast before drinking. Interesting about the salt-peter! A way to keep the highjink 'down' traditionally for the celebration?
Ps: not for this but anyone's thoughts on Oregano vs Mexican Oregano?  Im finding I like the Mex stuff even on Italian food!

The corned beef abides...

It has been abiding for a week at least, think I brined it on the 2nd or third.

Methinks the saltpeter meme is more of a placebo effect than reality for those of us "exposed" to the rumor.  Not Sure, not being chAir Force the females in my service were not "up" to my civvie bangable standards, as if that would have made a difference...

Bacon, Pastrami and Corned Beef all use the dreaded and feared "pink salt."  Think Pink, yo?  I encourage anyone interested in memes to check out Lady Gaga's "meat curtains";  with the dress, I digress...  Drapes, rugs, landing strips, hardwood flooring.  Oopsie!  I am in danger of getting off-topic, I need to get back to IFR.

This is Corned Beef v1.0b.  I am not afraid.  I hear botulism is a hell of a trip when you take the wrong turn, but then I am hard-o'-hearing.  What?

Oxygen is the enemy of botulism, methinks?  Google that stuff, keyword botulism, Not Sure.

Before I go off half drunk and attempt to put icing on the carrot cake I feel I should address the Oregano question.

This may seem a left-handed answer or even Socrotastic: do you prefer Corriander or Cilantro?  As Mr. Nathaniel Ferret Bedford Kansticutt may have/hain't sed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8l39_INy3I

If I say it thrice...  Not Sure.

ediot: Dang-on (if yer a gentle mountain stream I'm), dunn furgoat the pic!

pate

Geez, I half forgot about this chronicle.

The Corned Beef turned out awesome, not too salty and I think I ate the last bit of it a week or so ago.

I purchased two heads of Cabbage for the St. Pat's festivities, and ended up only using a half or quarter of that to eat on the day, something possessed me (I suspect the demon Jameson) to attempt a batch of Sauerkraut.  I figured I'd give it three weeks, which makes tomorrow the day to eat or can it.

By can it, I mean do the whole preserves thing.  Or I suppose I could throw it away.

The cabbage has been rotting away happily for some time now, although there have been a few instances where I had to skim some moldy stuff off the top of the happy ferment....

I think I have what the damn hippies call a "vinegar mother," which would die/be-kilt in the canning process.  I wonder if I could pitch it into the 10+ year old batch of wine my dad tried to make to turn the mess into red wine vinegar, apparently he likes the drinking process better than the making...

The kraut smells like kraut, & I am unafraid.  Lawd hep me, eye keed!

If savage Irish and Vietnamese have been eating rotted cabbage for centuries, I feel safe in my hipster douche mimicry.

I have said too much!

pate

Quote from: chefist on July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM
I was asked that I start a cooking thread for folks here.  I think it is a good start as we can share ideas for the MITD launch parties that are going on around the country!

Consulting my notes I get:\

Um

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/refreshing

ediot: anyone want to hear about the, nah.

Nothing... nefer

Dr. MD MD

Well, it's been about six months since the whole Hoagland fiasco went down and still I haven't seen episode one of the soon to be smash Internet cooking show, The Useless Eater. I was told chefist would be doing it when I suggested it back then. Here's some inspiration, if you're having trouble getting started:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOgG_RNLcA

;)

albrecht

Quote from: pate on April 10, 2016, 11:33:45 PM
Consulting my notes I get:\

Um

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/refreshing

ediot: anyone want to hear about the, nah.

Nothing... nefer
So how did the kraut turn out? Say compared to the store bought stuff?

ge30542

Lark's Tongue in Aspic, mmmmm!

jazmunda

Anyone know anything about pickling gherkins? A friend wants to know.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on April 12, 2016, 10:01:36 PM
Anyone know anything about pickling gherkins? A friend wants to know.

A recipe...yes...an innuendo, maybe!

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on April 12, 2016, 10:02:32 PM
A recipe...yes...an innuendo, maybe!

Care to share? The recipe ... and some innuendo.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on April 12, 2016, 10:03:18 PM
Care to share? The recipe ... and some innuendo.

LOL...ok...pickles!

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-dill-pickles-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193350

the key is growing your own cucumbers! That is what I do...and , I grow my own dill, garlic, peppers, rosemary, etc...all that goes into the jar!

I made 10 jars last year with the Armenian cucumbers I grow...my daughter had those eaten in a month! LOL

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on April 12, 2016, 10:07:13 PM
LOL...ok...pickles!

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-dill-pickles-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193350

the key is growing your own cucumbers! That is what I do...and , I grow my own dill, garlic, peppers, rosemary, etc...all that does into the jar!

I made 10 jars last year with the Armenian cucumbers I grow...my daughter had those eaten in a month! LOL

If I want to spice it up should I role play add chilli peppers?

We're still talking about food right?

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on April 12, 2016, 10:10:37 PM
If I want to spice it up should I role play add chilli peppers?

We're still talking about food right?

OMG yes! put the peppers in there! I do that and so do many!

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on April 12, 2016, 10:27:18 PM
OMG yes! put the peppers in there! I do that and so do many!

My grandmother used to make it like that and I'm kicking myself that I never got her recipe before she passed.

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on April 12, 2016, 10:28:38 PM
My grandmother used to make it like that and I'm kicking myself that I never got her recipe before she passed.

YouTube! you can come 99% close doing it yourself! Just try!

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on April 12, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
YouTube! you can come 99% close doing it yourself! Just try!

I know there is plenty of recipes online but with this type of thing I like to ask strangers I know online. Yeah that makes sense. :P

ge30542

Chefist, what size gherkin do you like to work with?

pate

Quote from: ge30542 on April 12, 2016, 11:10:35 PM

Chefman, I take a schwing at this one?

Quote from: pate
How early did you plant the cucumbers?

Nefermynd.

If you grew them from seed, I fear that your "plant zone" might get out of 'whack'

tINIEST, are nothing to be ashamed of (unless you don't have enough to fill a pint jar, heh!)

My advice is to watch the blooms and harvest accordingly, if you want lots of bread 'n' butter pickles, & I say too much...

Mini0ts don't care too much about how big they are when you drop them into the brine.

-pate

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on April 12, 2016, 10:07:13 PM
LOL...ok...pickles!

the key is growing your own cucumbers! That is what I do...and , I grow my own dill, garlic, peppers, rosemary, etc...all that goes into the jar!

Pickling my pickle today.

chefist

Quote from: ge30542 on April 12, 2016, 11:10:35 PM

Lol just saw this! Armenian sized!

whoozit

Where can I get Chefist and what dishes can I make with it?