• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Star Trek: Discovery

Started by jazmunda, February 12, 2017, 04:56:29 AM

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Taaroa on September 25, 2017, 10:13:58 AM
It might be a bad Star Trek intro, but I always liked the whole "humanity's journey to the stars" theme that it had (despite the absence of Yuri Gagarin).

I meant the into song itself. ENT wised up and went for a lyric-less version in season 3. I agree, the visuals were spot on. 

Taaroa

Quote from: Lord Grantham on September 25, 2017, 11:25:09 AM
I meant the into song itself. ENT wised up and went for a lyric-less version in season 3. I agree, the visuals were spot on.

Lyrically it probably wasn't the best either, but it still had that whole theme I was talking about. Apparently it's been used by shuttle crews a few times:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_of_the_Heart#Russell_Watson_cover_version

Lord Grantham

I caved. I had to see it. I subscribed.

Episode 3 is much more Star Trek than the pilot. The new captain is a mysterious badass, and the Discovery is a nice looking ship. I'm looking forward to see what this season is all about. 

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 02, 2017, 05:42:48 PM
I caved. I had to see it. I subscribed.

Episode 3 is much more Star Trek than the pilot. The new captain is a mysterious badass, and the Discovery is a nice looking ship. I'm looking forward to see what this season is all about.

There's a new series? I'll have to check it out. I discovered The Orville last Friday and binge watched the first 4 episodes. I can't wait till they put out the fifth episode. Imagine Star Trek if it was written by the guy who does Family Guy. Because it is.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on October 02, 2017, 06:06:44 PM
There's a new series? I'll have to check it out. I discovered The Orville last Friday and binge watched the first 4 episodes. I can't wait till they put out the fifth episode. Imagine Star Trek if it was written by the guy who does Family Guy. Because it is.

I didn’t like the first episode of The Orville, but it got better after that.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 02, 2017, 06:12:36 PM
I didn’t like the first episode of The Orville, but it got better after that.
I found it to be quirky without being camp. You gotta love a show where they use the word 'dick' in every episode.  :D

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on October 02, 2017, 06:18:37 PM
I found it to be quirky without being camp. You gotta love a show where they use the word 'dick' in every episode.  :D

I loathe any episode of Star Trek that uses the holodeck to let the writers just be lazy and not write about scifi. I wasn’t happy to see them pick up on that aspect. It was short and humorous so it was ok. Hope they don’t overuse it.

trostol

up til episode 3...The Orville was way more Trek than Discovery was..Discovery made up a lil ground with episode 3 but it still...just feels off from Trek

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 02, 2017, 06:28:22 PM
I loathe any episode of Star Trek that uses the holodeck to let the writers just be lazy and not write about scifi. I wasn’t happy to see them pick up on that aspect. It was short and humorous so it was ok. Hope they don’t overuse it.

They've used it twice but both times it was short. The second time was the cowboy/three amigos program.

Quote from: trostol on October 02, 2017, 06:38:20 PM
up til episode 3...The Orville was way more Trek than Discovery was..Discovery made up a lil ground with episode 3 but it still...just feels off from Trek
Orville feels Trek to me except for MacFarlane's irreverent touches. The father (Jeffrey Tambor) complaining about his diverticulitis was amusing and different from anything you would see on Star Trek. MacFarlane bringing up his ex wive's infidelity every chance he gets is also funny. Well, as funny as infidelity could get considering he brings it up at the worst times. I also love the music/score for the show. It is reminiscent of the music from Star Trek to me.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: trostol on October 02, 2017, 06:38:20 PM

If more people start watching we can start talking about the "s**** drive". Which is interesting. It'll be neat to see how that could relate to things we've seen in other Trek series.

trostol

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on October 02, 2017, 07:58:17 PM
Orville feels Trek to me except for MacFarlane's irreverent touches. The father (Jeffrey Tambor) complaining about his diverticulitis was amusing and different from anything you would see on Star Trek. MacFarlane bringing up his ex wive's infidelity every chance he gets is also funny. Well, as funny as infidelity could get considering he brings it up at the worst times. I also love the music/score for the show. It is reminiscent of the music from Star Trek to me.

i can not stand Seth..but he has done a good job with Orville..even with keeping his character out of the limelight too..the last episode with the bioship was classic Trek at its best

TigerLily

Just watched the pilot ST:D (heh heh) and the third The Orvile. I thought STD, the tv show, was awesome. Im still considering if I like the new Klingon look. Maybe better than a bunch of buttheads but all those prosthetics might get in the way of any real acting. The Crouching Tiger lady makes a great captain and the latest casualty from Walking Dead is Commander Michael. I was bummed when WD killed her off so really glad to see her resurrected on STD. Planning to binge the whole first season when it's finished.

And I'm really enjoying The Orville. It's a really nice combination of goofy humor, decent special effects and nice sci-fi storytelling. Good job Seth. I knew you wouldn't let us down

trostol

Quote from: TigerLily on October 04, 2017, 01:49:31 PM
Just watched the pilot ST:D (heh heh) and the third The Orvile. I thought STD, the tv show, was awesome. Im still considering if I like the new Klingon look. Maybe better than a bunch of buttheads but all those prosthetics might get in the way of any real acting. The Crouching Tiger lady makes a great captain and the latest casualty from Walking Dead is Commander Michael. I was bummed when WD killed her off so really glad to see her resurrected on STD. Planning to binge the whole first season when it's finished.

And I'm really enjoying The Orville. It's a really nice combination of goofy humor, decent special effects and nice sci-fi storytelling. Good job Seth. I knew you wouldn't let us down

Discovery isn't bad..but they stole my idea for a series based on...well you will see lol

Lord Grantham

Fuck it, SPOILERS from here on out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oIpBzNUcI

We quantum mechanics now.

Lord Grantham

Finally getting caught up on the first half of the first season. "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" is a fun episode. That Disco party looked like a good fucking time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsU6_eSG4k4

cweb

I like the nod to real-life mushroom expert (and Coast guest) Paul Stamets.

If you haven't watched this, do. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqWstVnRjQ

Lord Grantham

I'm glad I got up to speed in time.

trostol

episode 10 was the best one of the season so far

Morgus

That was interesting in the last episode in the mirror universe where they discovered the USS Defiant was there and from their "future"
That is also what happened in the "Enterprise" series in its 2 part episode in the mirror universe. The Defiant was more advanced than the starships they had then.
The Defiant moved to the mirror universe into the past when it disappeared in the classic Star Trek episode "The Tholian Web"

Lord Grantham

I like the reimagined mirror uniforms. The gold armor is a cool detail.

Jackstar

Literally, the only nice thing I have to say about this show is, "thank God I don't fucking watch it."

I'd rather spend an evening learning to line dance. Carry on.

trostol

the MU saved this show...still doesn't feel very Star Trek to me though...

Lord Grantham

Quote from: trostol on January 21, 2018, 11:46:10 PM
the MU saved this show...still doesn't feel very Star Trek to me though...

My bet is that what we've seen so far isn't "our" universe.

trostol

the MU portion of this season was great..gotta see how they wrap this first season up with the last 2 episodes...now that they are back in Prime Universe

Lord Grantham

Quote from: trostol on January 28, 2018, 11:32:44 PM
the MU portion of this season was great..gotta see how they wrap this first season up with the last 2 episodes...now that they are back in Prime Universe

My bet is a whole lot of wibbly wobbly to close out the season. Not like that's a bad thing or anything.

Lord Grantham

OR the emperor is going to go HAM on the Klingons. Which I'd also be cool with.