• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

Some news briefs from The Ottumwa Tri-Weekly Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa) January 23, 1916.
(I happened to notice that the Library of Congress building is closed today due to heavy snow.)

Rix Gins

Yet another item from the Ottumwa.  (I didn't know Jeff (from Mutt and Jeff fame) took sides politically.)

Rix Gins

A nasty ("Ouch!) item from the Ottumwa.

In January 1916 the Duplex Theater located at 3075 East Grand Boulevard in Detroit was only a month old.    It has two screens and 1500 seats and was one of the very first theater's to have more than one screen.

Advertisement's

The theater would close in 1922.   I am not entirely sure why but it looks like there was a fire of some sort:

Today the location of this cool structure is an empty lot - currently up for sale:

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 04:50:28 PM

Today the location of this cool structure is an empty lot - currently up for sale:

What a shame.

We have a good one here I think.

In 1916 the Barley Motor Car Company was building automobiles at the factory located at the corner of Reed Avenue and Factory Streets in Kalamazoo, Michigan.   The factory was the previous site of the Michigan Buggy Company which had gone under in 1914.   The new model introduced in 1916 was the called the Roamer.   The name was derived from a prominent thoroughbred race horse of the day.  The Roamer was no Model T - it was a high end machine with a nickel plated grill that was modeled after Rolls-Royce.   It was a four-door touring car with a 24-hp 6-cylinder Continental engine.

The sales hook was "America's Smartest Car"

Barley would soon add a number of more models and by 1918/1920 the Roamer's were quite stunning:

Sadly in 1922 the company would be forced to turn direction and look more towards the lower end of the auto market.  The Roamer line was discontinued and
a new more modest product line simply called Barley would be launched.

1923 Barley

This new product line would be a failure.  In 1924 the company was reorganized and launched a new product line called Pennant which was targeted as a Taxi and meant to compete with Checker [also built in K-Zoo].  By 1929 the Great Depression would hit and Barley Motor would be no more.

The Barley factory still stands but appears to be defunct.   

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 06:32:45 PM

The Barley factory still stands but appears to be defunct.

Great looking building.  Sometimes these old, dilapidated structures "speak to me" more than the ones that have been modernized.  By the way, nice "galloping horse" shaped cloud at the upper left.

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 23, 2016, 06:58:54 PM
Great looking building.  Sometimes these old, dilapidated structures "speak to me" more than the ones that have been modernized.  By the way, nice "galloping horse" shaped cloud at the upper left.

Good Eye Ball!!!!!!!!     I didn't notice it but maybe that is old Roamer himself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roamer_%28horse%29

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 07:02:04 PM
Good Eye Ball!!!!!!!!     I didn't notice it but maybe that is old Roamer himself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roamer_%28horse%29

What a horse!  The owner drops dead from a heart attack and poor Roamer breaks a leg two hours later and is euthanized.  Please cheer us up with more cool Michigan building pics.  ;) 

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 23, 2016, 07:09:04 PM
What a horse!  The owner drops dead from a heart attack and poor Roamer breaks a leg two hours later and is euthanized.  Please cheer us up with more cool Michigan building pics.  ;)

Says the dude that just dropped Ypres on us

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 12:09:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUK9czXOQCQ
Speaking of Ypres - these little youtube blurbs are excerpts from the book Thirty-odd Feet Below Belgium: An Affair of Letters in the Great War 1915-1916

QuoteWhen Geoffrey Boothby was seconded to the Royal Engineers in 1915, he was twenty- one and Edith Ainscow was eighteen. They had spent only four days together before Geoffrey was sent to the Front and the subterranean struggle below the Ypres Salient, in tunnels that were narrow, dark, flooded, and in deadly danger from the German workings close by. During the next 18 months, as their letters passed to and fro, they fell in love. As Edith wrote her last letter, in May 1916, Geoffrey was due for leave: 'I can't really believe that you're coming yet but I hope and hope and hope. Do, do be careful just for one week.....'

pate

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 23, 2016, 07:04:00 PM
Here is a stark photo showing damage to St. Martin's Cathedral and the Cloth Hall at Ypres.

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/2014/01/23/23-january-1916-cloth-hall-and-st-martins-cathedral-ypres/

That photo reminded me of the WWII pictures of the Cathedral at Koln (Cologne), and also reminded me of my visit to the former East German areas of Germany.  I was struck by how many old Gothic churches in former East Germany were partially destroyed, and still haven't (or at least hadn't by 2006) been rebuilt.

Apologies for referencing something 50 years ago.  I shall strive to avoid "half-measures" in the future in this thread.

(I tried to hit the 100 year mark, but apparently bracketed 25 years ago with C.S. Lewis & Larry McMurtry.  I honestly thought "no half-measures" was some sort of WWI reference, but I am too tired to practice Google-fu much more in search of this elusive quotation that I believe predates even Lewis.  /self-reported for run-on sentence 'n bad grammar )

pate

Apparently (if Wikipedia is to be believed), German Lt. General von Fuchs on January 20, 1917 (doh! 99 years ago give or take a day) said something about "half-measures" in reference to a second attack during the Battle of the Somme.

I am to tired/lazy to attempt German Google-fu at this time, and therefore shall take Wiki's wurd for it.

I cannot win for losing in this 100 years ago game.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 07:19:09 PM
Speaking of Ypres - these little youtube blurbs are excerpts from the book Thirty-odd Feet Below Belgium: An Affair of Letters in the Great War 1915-1916

Those tunnels were a story unto themselves and much has been written about them.  The Germans had tunnels being made that were headed the other way.  Sometimes one tunnel could hear the other tunnels noise and then all hell would break loose.   PS Above comment about the racehorse came out wrong. The "what a horse" statement was made to cover all it's life...not just the strange circumstance of his death.  Just to be clear.  ;)   

Quote from: pate on January 23, 2016, 07:34:16 PM
Apparently (if Wikipedia is to be believed), German Lt. General von Fuchs on January 20, 1917 (doh! 99 years ago give or take a day) said something about "half-measures" in reference to a second attack during the Battle of the Somme.

I am to tired/lazy to attempt German Google-fu at this time, and therefore shall take Wiki's wurd for it.

No problem Pate.......   Welcome to the Nerdery

Rix Gins

Quote from: pate on January 23, 2016, 07:34:16 PM

You're doing great pate.  I join Walks in welcoming you. And don't worry about anything.  We don't stand on ceremony in this thread. 

Rix Gins

Here is a photo of an electric train that roared through Montana, 100 years ago...tomorrow.  Now I'm off by a day.  lol

https://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/electrification/hamiltonphotos/hamiltonphotoshistoricevents.htm

Cool Train!!!!!!!!!!

Well - if we can jump ahead a day.

Jack Brickhouse was born on January 24th, 1916.  He was a long time broadcaster for the Cubbies.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/01/23/hey-hey-happy-100th-jack-brickhouse/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HomVW1Hk3vE

pate

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 23, 2016, 07:41:35 PM
... We don't stand on ceremony in this thread.

I do not have any prima-facia (sp) evidence to support this, but wouldn't people have stood during ceremonies 100 years ago?

Certainly, military personnel would have stood at attention during Ceremony?

Not Sure.  Although, my journeys through the intar-tube Rabbit Hole (or Hasenholz, as I like to call it) led me to this very interesting site that some of our Anglish brethren across the "pond" might find interesting.  Although lacking full dates to include years, and having some .html issues (at least on my virus-laden machine);  it is quite the entertaining and informative website about the general timeframe addressed in this thread.

I do love long sentences.

I almost forgot to include the above referenced web-portal of note:  http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.co.uk/  quite the modern multi-media experience to be had there!  Seems to be a work in progress.  I do hope the site author finds the time to complete it.

Cheers!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 07:55:25 PM

Well - if we can jump ahead a day.

Jack Brickhouse was born on January 24th, 1916.  He was a long time broadcaster for the Cubbies.

Hey! Hey! 

I grew up watching Jack, and vaguely remember when he also broadcast Sox games before they left WGN for the UHF station (can't remember if it was 32 or 44). I also just found out that he called Willie Mays' legendary catch in the 1951 WS while doing radio for NBC.  He could be annoying, especially in his later years, but he was a consummate pro and a colorful character who was able to make a lot of really bad Cubs teams sound exciting.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 23, 2016, 07:19:09 PM

I'm not always the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, but Edith's plea to Geoffrey to be careful for one more week and the tombstones on the cover make me think the story doesn't end well.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 23, 2016, 09:19:11 PM
I'm not always the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, but Edith's plea to Geoffrey to be careful for one more week and the tombstones on the cover make me think the story doesn't end well.

We'll see!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 23, 2016, 09:13:55 PM
Hey! Hey! 

I grew up watching Jack, and vaguely remember when he also broadcast Sox games before they left WGN for the UHF station (can't remember if it was 32 or 44). I also just found out that he called Willie Mays' legendary catch in the 1951 WS while doing radio for NBC.  He could be annoying, especially in his later years, but he was a consummate pro and a colorful character who was able to make a lot of really bad Cubs teams sound exciting.

Jack Brickhouse and the Cubs... Hey! Hey! Preceded Harry Carey's Holy Cow!

As I remember it, Chicago had two UHF stations, 26 and 39. I think the Sox went to 39.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 23, 2016, 09:19:11 PM
The official various cemeteries are impressive and sad. But I find going to some local cemetary in some random town more so. It is crazy and sad. Get off randomly,  to whatever village or random stop, and go to churchyard. England, France, Germany, etc and look at grave dates. That we still have wars!!  but that is our way. I wish that we would at least have tributes and graves and monuments. These days death, of all types, seems more 'burn em' and move on. Yah, I know Carlin and the graveyard n golf; waste of space but still I say parts of history and how people valued each other.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 23, 2016, 09:28:36 PM
Jack Brickhouse and the Cubs... Hey! Hey! Preceded Harry Carey's Holy Cow!

As I remember it, Chicago had two UHF stations, 26 and 39. I think the Sox went to 39.

It was 26 and 32 originally, and 44 a year or so later. PM me if you want to wax nostalgic some more so we don't derail the thread.  Train wrecks in 1916 tended to be horrific!

pate

Quote from: albrecht on January 23, 2016, 09:32:14 PM
I wish that we would at least have tributes and graves and monuments

Nab-Daggit, alby!  Now my thyme masheen is about 200yr-ish out of calibration!

11ish Day of January in the Year of Our Lord 1818, AD (published, written?):

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

I am doing serious damage to this thread, Prohibition cannot come to my town soon enough!