• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What is in my Father's notebook?

Started by Walks_At_Night, October 13, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 05, 2019, 04:06:40 AM
This'll put some hairs on your pasty, pigeon chest.

Yikes!  I'm awake!

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 05, 2019, 04:06:40 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfHAsfTKrw

This'll put some hairs on your pasty, pigeon chest.
Yowsers! No wonder they branded the candy this way! Good find.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on May 05, 2019, 04:10:34 AM
Anxiety and stress have been shown to raise blood pressure... Worrying about your blood pressure can elevate it. You should follow the advice of Strangelove (to paraphrase) "How I learned to stop worrying and ingest the ammonium chloride".

Anyhow, just add some "salted licorice" to your next amazon order. There is lots to choose from. Or you can order from a specialty online store. For the "uninitiated" I would suggest schoolkrijt. They are soft and the chloride is not overpowering. They have a nice, sweet coating, and the saltiness is not as pronounced as many of the other versions. I think most people would like them. When you get to the more hardcore candy, the reactions that I have seen tell me that many people do not appreciate them.  :(

*Your research on ammonium chloride should also have shown that it can be used in cough syrups. It's amazing, wonderful stuff.

** If you want the more extreme flavours, search out salmiak.

***Last edit... I finally found them. I had taken mine out of the original packaging as it was a 1KG bag and put it into a jar (almost gone.) So I didn't know what the name for the perfect drops of sugar mixed with salt were (licorice flavour- but no "chewiness.") They are called Zoethoutjes

If you find a Dutch shop, or go there, you can find many brands in bulk and can buy by the plastic baggie- sorta of a coned type bag. I think the strong salmiak stuff. But there also are some good anise-based varieties, I think from Italy? And the various strengths- zout, dubble zout, etc. I recall Swedish "kids"make some kind of drink. Take cheap vodka and soak in the candy. Wait and you get something that approximates the famous Finnish libation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki_Koskenkorva 

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2019, 11:05:36 AM
If you find a Dutch shop, or go there, you can find many brands in bulk and can buy by the plastic baggie- sorta of a coned type bag. I think the strong salmiak stuff. But there also are some good anise-based varieties, I think from Italy? And the various strengths- zout, dubble zout, etc. I recall Swedish "kids"make some kind of drink. Take cheap vodka and soak in the candy. Wait and you get something that approximates the famous Finnish libation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki_Koskenkorva

I can't than you enough. I had thought that the candy was as good as it can get... Now I find that I can make it alcoholic? That is an experiment for next week if I get down to the Dutch store.  :)

To bring this back to WAN- Do you imagine this is what the Dutch torpedo men would drink?  ;)  :P

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on May 05, 2019, 11:16:43 AM
I can't than you enough. I had thought that the candy was as good as it can get... Now I find that I can make it alcoholic? That is an experiment for next week if I get down to the Dutch store.  :)

To bring this back to WAN- Do you imagine this is what the Dutch torpedo men would drink?  ;) :P
Oude Genever- smuggled aboard, tax-free along with smelly, cheap, small cigars- I suspect.

Page 65 is a mechanical drawing of the torpedo Igniter. 

Page 65

The first appreciable combat operation that my Dad took part in was Operation Torch - the invasion of North Africa.  It would be the United States's
first incursion into this area since the Barbary Wars of the early 1800's.   In a weird twist, Dad would not fight the Japanese, the Germans or even the Italians (although he would tangle with all three eventually) in his first combat but instead he would tangle with the French.  Weird but true...............

Vichy France was basically the southern portion of France that was not occupied by the Germans and it also included most of France's overseas territories. 
Not officially a part of the Axis powers, they were nonetheless pretty much under the German thumb.  The idea behind Torch was to open a second front
behind the German and Italian forces operating in Libya and Egypt and it was hoped that the French military forces would not actively engage the allied forces
in combat.  Yet fight they did.  Dad took part in what is known as the Naval Battle of Casablanca - which took place between November 8th and 16th, 1942.
It also would be the only surface action he would take part in against enemy capital ships. 

We will examine this more in detail but obviously the US Navy wins the battle - although the French do get a few licks in.

D-Day at 75. 

Thanks Dad.  I'm sure the grunts on the beach appreciated your ships efforts.