A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Rico999

I don't think Wells is too secure in his job yet.  His continual reference to Snorge as "the Captain" is bad enough, but he's really taking the Noory script further with his  own non-interview style.   He defined himself Saturday night as the "moderator" between Deyo and Quayle.  And do any of you recall the point in the show where Quayle was jabbering away and Wells tried -- to no avail -- to break in on him? 

Does Wells actually agree with everything his guests say?  I doubt that, but you wouldn't get that impression listening to him.   Hell, I remember that program where Ian got all over Quayle -- to Quayle's displeasure.   In fact, Ian's best quality is his desire to probe the guest for more information than they were prepared to give (in Quayle's case, it's answering questions about the veracity of his claims). 

This was Art's great talent, of course -- along with the other great radio interviewers you can name.

The Premrat/Noory corporate formula for the program though is to let the guest say whatever THEY want and not ask any tough questions -- in fact, agree with them as much as possible, no matter how far away from perceived reality the guest wants to go.  It's not OK to ask them anything out of their comfort zone, which is probably defined by the producer and guest before the broadcast.   Above all, don't show any intellectual curiosity -- make sure to have guests and regular contributors that reflect the hosts worldview more often than not. 

Wells seems to be into this broadcast style all the way.  He doesn't seem to have too many original ideas, does he?

And medical issues aside, I think that's one of the reasons Punnett is doing one night a month now instead of the Saturday night broadcast.   He just can't play their game 100%.

CoastCanuck

Upcoming shows from C2C website lists John B. Wells as host for Saturday (his regular turn), Sunday (in lieu of Knapp?) and next Friday (no Noory)...  Interesting

astroguy

I finally got around to listening to when he had Quayle and Deyo on ... wow.  The amount of utter falsehoods and vitriol spouting from both of them was ... wow.  Obv. Quayle was worse than Deyo, but I didn't know that Deyo was an expanding Earth believer à la Neil Adams.  ::)

The caravan to midnight... Coast is in for the ride I'd guess

Quote from: astroguy on May 18, 2012, 06:35:23 PM
I finally got around to listening to when he had Quayle and Deyo on ... wow.  The amount of utter falsehoods and vitriol spouting from both of them was ... wow.  Obv. Quayle was worse than Deyo, but I didn't know that Deyo was an expanding Earth believer à la Neil Adams.  ::)

Balls to the wall insanity

basswood

Quote from: Rico999 on May 14, 2012, 12:56:17 PM
I don't think Wells is too secure in his job yet.  His continual reference to Snorge as "the Captain" is bad enough, but he's really taking the Noory script further with his  own non-interview style.   He defined himself Saturday night as the "moderator" between Deyo and Quayle.  And do any of you recall the point in the show where Quayle was jabbering away and Wells tried -- to no avail -- to break in on him? 

Does Wells actually agree with everything his guests say?  I doubt that, but you wouldn't get that impression listening to him.   Hell, I remember that program where Ian got all over Quayle -- to Quayle's displeasure.   In fact, Ian's best quality is his desire to probe the guest for more information than they were prepared to give (in Quayle's case, it's answering questions about the veracity of his claims). 

This was Art's great talent, of course -- along with the other great radio interviewers you can name.

The Premrat/Noory corporate formula for the program though is to let the guest say whatever THEY want and not ask any tough questions -- in fact, agree with them as much as possible, no matter how far away from perceived reality the guest wants to go.  It's not OK to ask them anything out of their comfort zone, which is probably defined by the producer and guest before the broadcast.   Above all, don't show any intellectual curiosity -- make sure to have guests and regular contributors that reflect the hosts worldview more often than not. 

Wells seems to be into this broadcast style all the way.  He doesn't seem to have too many original ideas, does he?

And medical issues aside, I think that's one of the reasons Punnett is doing one night a month now instead of the Saturday night broadcast.   He just can't play their game 100%.

Great analysis, Rico999, I agree 100%.  The first time I heard Wells, he cracked me up but the more I hear the less I can listen.  It's rare I can even listen to more than a few minutes of any show anymore that's not hosted by Ian Punnett.

Scully

Quote from: CoastCanuck on May 18, 2012, 05:38:17 PM
Upcoming shows from C2C website lists John B. Wells as host for Saturday (his regular turn), Sunday (in lieu of Knapp?) and next Friday (no Noory)...  Interesting

Yes, Knapp mentioned on his last show that he wouldn't be doing his next regular show.  He gave no reason why.  Also, I heard Noory mention that Wells would be taking Knapp's night this Sunday.

I'm sickened to hear that Wells will also be hosting next Friday.  :(

ziznak

Great... two whole nights of security and insecurity... Wells would be a little more entertaining than Snore's on a Friday but... that's two nights in a row two weeks in a row.  Scary!

WOTR

Quote from: Scully on May 20, 2012, 12:14:22 AM

Yes, Knapp mentioned on his last show that he wouldn't be doing his next regular show.  He gave no reason why.  Also, I heard Noory mention that Wells would be taking Knapp's night this Sunday.

I'm sickened to hear that Wells will also be hosting next Friday.  :(
Thanks.  Now I will know that there is no point in tuning in tomorrow either.  I just mentioned it in the Noory thread... two minutes tonight.  That is all that I could take.  I do not think that I have listened to more than 5 minutes of Noory if you add it all up over the last week.  Slowly coast is becoming a distant memory for me and I often forget to even tune it in.  Part of me wishes that they would just let Ian and Knapp go and I could put the entire thing behind me instead of tuning in to see what the topic is or who the host is.  If I know that it is going to either be a mind numbing Noory or a paranoid (and intellectually stunned) Wells I will be able to forget Coast in a month flat.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: WOTR on May 20, 2012, 04:27:01 AMPart of me wishes that they would just let Ian and Knapp go and I could put the entire thing behind me instead of tuning in to see what the topic is or who the host is.  If I know that it is going to either be a mind numbing Noory or a paranoid (and intellectually stunned) Wells I will be able to forget Coast in a month flat.

Yep, yep, yep.

I've pretty much passed the point where I'll be fooled by the topic listing.  I went for a long time with Noory because I'd fall for that.  "Oooh, that looks interesting," I'd think.  Then of course Noory would ruin it.

Noory free since the end of March now, I tune in only for Knapp and the rare glimpses we get of Ian.  With Knapp gone this month and Ian's appearance over, the rest of May is a Wasteland.  Eliot was wrong by a month. 

Sleepwalker

I only listen to Coast when Ian hosts.  The rest of the time I listen to Phil Hendrie.  At least he's good for an occasional laugh.  Wells is completely unbearable.

VtaGeezer

Those thinking Wells isn't the future of C2C are ignoring reality. His exposure is increasing. Tonight, he gets another slot and hosts one more in his parade of toxic misfits; another 9/11 truther.  It's very discouraging that local affiliates haven't dropped this extremist malignancy.

b_dubb

Coast Death Spiral continues with Noory and Welles. Tune in because you don't know any better. Or because you're a fucking nutter

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Scully on May 20, 2012, 12:14:22 AM

Yes, Knapp mentioned on his last show that he wouldn't be doing his next regular show.  He gave no reason why.    :(

Wells said last night that Knapp is in NYC receiving yet another Peabody award... 

VtaGeezer

Quote from: CoastCanuck on May 20, 2012, 05:00:26 PM
Wells said last night that Knapp is in NYC receiving yet another Peabody award...
Yes...for a local news series on the LV housing collapse.

Sleepwalker

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 20, 2012, 10:57:31 AM
Those thinking Wells isn't the future of C2C are ignoring reality. His exposure is increasing. Tonight, he gets another slot and hosts one more in his parade of toxic misfits; another 9/11 truther.  It's very discouraging that local affiliates haven't dropped this extremist malignancy.

Well said.  Extremist malignancy is exactly what Coast to Coast has become.  I found this definition of douchebag at urbandictionary.com: An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears.

It would apply equally to John B. Wells and his guest tonight, Sander Hicks.

I tried to visit Sander Hicks website but it would appear Coasties have overloaded it at the moment.  I Googled him and found this article.  http://observer.com/2010/07/21/the-lonely-truth-quest-of-sander-hicks/

slipstream

I tend to like Wells.  The guy is genuine.  I don't think he is any kind of great talk show host.  If I remember correctly he started his career as a disc-jockey.  Very few disc jockeys learn to be good talk show hosts.  If they run out of something to say another tune is just a second away.  Therefore, Wells doesn't have a lot of experience or training for this position.

Having said that he can certainly can make improvements.  I do think he has talent.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the opportunity of doing a 5 day a week show, so he cannot really get his shtick down.  Once a week he comes to the studio and has to fill 4 hours. It really can't be that easy.  I sensed some nervousness when he started hosting regularly. 

Wells does let his guests run on at times instead of having a more engaging exchanges.  If you dislike Ian then you might like Wells, because he does let his guests talk.  However, he needs to be able to read the discussion better so he can jump in at appropriate times, or otherwise play a more active role while not being a pest.

The beginning of the show is the most important.  Most of the time Wells has failed to engage the listener, so that the audience will feel motivated to continue to listen.  Very earlier in his Saturday night slot the introduction to the show was unprepared, and therefore lousy.  He has gotten better over the last couple months. So, he still needs to improve his opening presentation.

Overall, I find Wells to be a likable personality.  He doesn't take himself too seriously, and has corrected himself when he says something stupid or nonsensical. Hopefully in time he will make the improvements and adjustments, so he can be a successful Coast to Coast host.

stevesh

I don't think Wells is any better than Noory, and I get tired of his constant religious references, but if he continues the policy of not taking phone calls when the guest is there as he did last night, he might grow on me.

slipstream

Quote from: stevesh on May 21, 2012, 03:22:26 AM
I don't think Wells is any better than Noory, and I get tired of his constant religious references, but if he continues the policy of not taking phone calls when the guest is there as he did last night, he might grow on me.

I listened to George host the show in the last week.  The man seemed absent from the conversation with the guest.  It was like he was not paying very close attention at all.  In contrast, Wells seems to be all there, but not sure exactly what to say next.   

b_dubb

Quote from: slipstream on May 21, 2012, 04:58:47 AM

I listened to George host the show in the last week.  The man seemed absent from the conversation with the guest.  It was like he was not paying very close attention at all.  In contrast, Wells seems to be all there, but not sure exactly what to say next.
I feel like this applies to Welles equally

Lovely Bones

. . . which is interesting, because one thing I've noticed in listening to linden's much appreciated FineArt stream is how free-wheeling Art was about taking calls and reading faxed/fast-blasted messages from listeners, whenever and wherever the mood struck him, sometimes in the first 15 or 20 minutes of a guest's start. 

I never really noticed this back in the day, I guess because I wasn't comparing Art to anyone, just listening to Art and enjoying the ambience.  But it's such a contrast now to the prescribed and formatted way Snoory does things.  Of course, Simple George could never pull off Art's style and panache. 

Anyway, before I stray too far, what Art did and how he did it made the program, IMO.  Wells could only pull it off if he had a clue how to manage the triangulation among caller-guest-host.  Doubt he could do this.   

Art's strength was in being present in the moment and connected.  This is also Ian's strength, but Ian, as much as I love the guy, gets tangled up in his fear that things will spin out of control if he relaxes into it. 

Morgus

I noticed when John B. Wells took some open line phone calls in the first hour last night, he got a large percentage of overly religious nuts.
Wells mentioned he was hosting Friday night as well with some open lines, so expect more of the same.  :(

Quote from: slipstream on May 21, 2012, 03:07:44 AM
I tend to like Wells.  The guy is genuine.  I don't think he is any kind of great talk show host.  If I remember correctly he started his career as a disc-jockey.  Very few disc jockeys learn to be good talk show hosts.  If they run out of something to say another tune is just a second away.  Therefore, Wells doesn't have a lot of experience or training for this position.

Having said that he can certainly can make improvements.  I do think he has talent.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the opportunity of doing a 5 day a week show, so he cannot really get his shtick down.  Once a week he comes to the studio and has to fill 4 hours. It really can't be that easy.  I sensed some nervousness when he started hosting regularly. 

Wells does let his guests run on at times instead of having a more engaging exchanges.  If you dislike Ian then you might like Wells, because he does let his guests talk.  However, he needs to be able to read the discussion better so he can jump in at appropriate times, or otherwise play a more active role while not being a pest.

The beginning of the show is the most important.  Most of the time Wells has failed to engage the listener, so that the audience will feel motivated to continue to listen.  Very earlier in his Saturday night slot the introduction to the show was unprepared, and therefore lousy.  He has gotten better over the last couple months. So, he still needs to improve his opening presentation.

Overall, I find Wells to be a likable personality.  He doesn't take himself too seriously, and has corrected himself when he says something stupid or nonsensical. Hopefully in time he will make the improvements and adjustments, so he can be a successful Coast to Coast host.

I think I am with you on this, Slipstream.  Pretty silly to expect Wells to be at the same level as Art or Ian after only a few dozen shows - about the equivalent of one month of Art when he was doing 6 or more shows a week.  If folks were to go back to early, early Art shows, I doubt they would find them to be uniformly excellent.  Art, Ian, Rush, Knapp, whoever it is who floats your boat, chances are they took years to hone their game, and reach the top of their craft.  I gave Noory a couple of years (mostly when he was a fill in, and then the main guy during one of Art's earlier retirements) before giving up on him, and I'm going to do the same for Wells.  The folks who immediately trashed him remind me of sports fans who jump all over young draft picks when they struggle for a bit when they get called up to the bigs. IMHO, many of the basic building blocks for long term success are in evidence with John (some of which you pointed out):
Doesn't take himself too seriously
Seems genuinely interested in a wide variety of topics
Comes across as pretty affable
Fantastic pipes for late night
Best bumper music of all the current hosts (much more variety, great deep album cuts, etc.)

No doubt lots of folks will immediately point out many flaws from show x or show y, and most will probably be right.  Just like with a young ball player, hockey player, whatever (guy can't pitch a complete game, too many defensive turnovers, can't believe we traded up to get this bum, blah,blah,blah).  I am much more interested in his development curve, though, and how he is next year. 

Johnnie B did some accents last night. English, Russian, and then spoke a little german, 'Setzen Sie sich' all within the space of a few minutes. I must say I was impressed.

astroguy

I will agree that Wells seems at least more genuine in what he says/believes than George.  George will change his beliefs for whatever guest he has.  BUT, while I follow WND to see what the VERY conservative crazies think, I don't want it on Coast.  As others have pointed out and I recently listened, the show with Quayle and Deyo was just ... words don't work to describe it.  And while that was worst than most, all of his shows have a crazy world is ending / all scientists are wrong / yay Jesus theme to them.

sleeplessinca

I would be so happy if the cap'n got dumped overboard and Wells sailed us away into the mystic.  I like the visual of the dreamship or whatever he calls it.  Works for me.

Snoorey has sooooo had it.  The support hosts all pay homage to Snoorey -  think they kinda have to.  I like the guy and love his Art Bell-ian voice quality. 

Fascinating about this Wells fellow.. Either love or hate and it seems like no middle ground.. I think we should take an instapoll or whatever Coast calls it.. I want to hear Linda Howe on the 'mothership' before I take a side..

WOTR

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on May 21, 2012, 04:23:11 PM

I think I am with you on this, Slipstream.  Pretty silly to expect Wells to be at the same level as Art or Ian after only a few dozen shows - about the equivalent of one month of Art when he was doing 6 or more shows a week.  If folks were to go back to early, early Art shows, I doubt they would find them to be uniformly excellent.  Art, Ian, Rush, Knapp, whoever it is who floats your boat, chances are they took years to hone their game, and reach the top of their craft. 
The major problem is that I am expected to stick with him while he hones his craft.  If I recall correctly, Art started when he was 13 (and became more popular after 4 decades of practice.)  Rush, Knapp and even Glen Beck (love him or hate him) all had to earn their way to an audience.  Wells was handed, as he says, millions of his closest friends as listeners.  There is no way that an amatuer with no experience should be allowed to inflict himself on an audience while he practices finding something to say during the long pauses.

I recently was talking with a concrete finisher and asked how somebody learns to run one of the ride on power trowels.  These are the machines that weigh thousands of pounds, have a 100HP motor, are 13 feet across and do the final finish on concrete.  He told me that the only way is to practice.  Now, if I am paying ten million for a 100 000 sq ft warehouse, I do not want it to have the final finish performed by somebody who is practicing.  Let the guy hone his skills on a 2000 sq ft truck bay where a slightly uneven floor and a cracking finish do not really matter and leave the fine work where 1/4 inch over 5 feet matters to an experienced hand.  Let Wells practice his schtick by inflicting himself on a small local market until he is ready to go national.  Handing him a million listeners to torture while he practices is insane...

KnyeGuy

Coast To Coast has been dying slowly for a long time, so at this point I don't really care if they hand the show over to someone who ideally should 'qualify himself to a smaller local market first.' Nah.
I like John Wells. I'd listen to the weekday shows too if he took over. I don't agree with everything he says, and he is no Art Bell, but he does a damn better job than Noory.

I also like the fact that he takes on conspiratorial topics instead of the lame astrological/numerological junk.

John B is decent and has potential.