3 (4.3%)
George Noory
10 (14.3%)
Other source
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ringthane on December 05, 2010, 03:50:28 AM
I'll bet you my Dick Cheney decoder ring for your Valerie Plame poster.
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

onan

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on December 05, 2010, 04:20:04 AM
Quote from: ringthane on December 05, 2010, 03:50:28 AM

Other news: from 2002-2008 you couldn't watch a minute of news without breathless reporting of  'another grim milestone'; apparently, Cindy Sheehan/troop casualties are only useful bludgeons against Republican administrations:

http://www.icasualties.org/oef/

Lest we forget.

Wikileaks -- who wants to bet there's info regarding information similar to climategate and WMDs being moved into Baqa'a Valley? I'll bet you my Dick Cheney decoder ring for your Valerie Plame poster.

touché!

It's a shame that Sheehan is the contention point on a clustertype war. Her original warrant was valid in my opinion. Being a Viet Nam era Vet I am quite sensitive to being led into war for less than honest reasons. But yeah I aint too frikken happy with what we are doing in both Iraq and Afghanistan (and who knows where else) under this administration. I hate being a hypocrite but as much as I dont want us in either location I am leaning towards a fond thought of the mideast glowing a faint green light for the next century. Yeah its real late and I havent slept...

ringthane

wikileaks -- love it in principle, but there is no doubt in my mind there's nothing benevolent/innocent with the timing of the release.

Please grab your tinfoil hats --

We have a European debt crisis with ongoing unrest and potential for riots/anarchy.

We have our own US debt crisis, the USD circling the drain and the Federal Reserve apparently in power and not the executive branch. We have unemployment benefits ready to expire. Tax hikes that could cause 'those rich greedy bastards' to grab their profits now before the end of the year and cause a shock to the market. We have a president -- like him or not -- that's facing pressure from both his supporters and the lunatrons on the other side of the fence that think he was born on Neptune.

We have an ascendent China that we owe 800+ billion to, and we continually flip them the bird by printing more money and exporting our inflation abroad. We have a China whose military is coming into power in 2014. And a China whose army is filled with tens of millions of underpaid and pissed off young men getting tired of cleaning their AKs.

and lookee here, here's a big heaping pile of hurt called wikileaks we can dip into at any time to add fuel to the fire. Something stinks about this. It goes beyond Iraq being a clusterfuck and Hilary being Hilary.

I can't help but feel the world's in a similar timeframe as we were back in the interwar period. From WWI to WWII, we had aristocracies fade and empires partitioned, countries decline (France/England), countries ascend (US), countries collapse (Germany), mutate (Russia).

We're going to finally understand the French in 20-30 years, I think. We're going to talk about how great we used to be. Sitting in a bar, unemployed, watching a Chinese flag being planted on Mars' Utopia Planitia.

ringthane

Quote from: onan on December 05, 2010, 05:13:13 AM
It's a shame that Sheehan is the contention point on a clustertype war. Her original warrant was valid in my opinion. Being a Viet Nam era Vet I am quite sensitive to being led into war for less than honest reasons. But yeah I aint too frikken happy with what we are doing in both Iraq and Afghanistan (and who knows where else) under this administration. I hate being a hypocrite but as much as I dont want us in either location I am leaning towards a fond thought of the mideast glowing a faint green light for the next century. Yeah its real late and I havent slept...

The Cindy Sheehans of America are being ignored because the left no longer need them. Grieving mothers, along with their sons sent overseas, have a limited shelf life in politics.

Quote from: ringthane on December 05, 2010, 05:36:22 AM
wikileaks -- love it in principle, but there is no doubt in my mind there's nothing benevolent/innocent with the timing of the release.

Please grab your tinfoil hats --

We have a European debt crisis with ongoing unrest and potential for riots/anarchy.

We have our own US debt crisis, the USD circling the drain and the Federal Reserve apparently in power and not the executive branch. We have unemployment benefits ready to expire. Tax hikes that could cause 'those rich greedy bastards' to grab their profits now before the end of the year and cause a shock to the market. We have a president -- like him or not -- that's facing pressure from both his supporters and the lunatrons on the other side of the fence that think he was born on Neptune.

We have an ascendent China that we owe 800+ billion to, and we continually flip them the bird by printing more money and exporting our inflation abroad. We have a China whose military is coming into power in 2014. And a China whose army is filled with tens of millions of underpaid and pissed off young men getting tired of cleaning their AKs.

and lookee here, here's a big heaping pile of hurt called wikileaks we can dip into at any time to add fuel to the fire. Something stinks about this. It goes beyond Iraq being a clusterfuck and Hilary being Hilary.

I can't help but feel the world's in a similar timeframe as we were back in the interwar period. From WWI to WWII, we had aristocracies fade and empires partitioned, countries decline (France/England), countries ascend (US), countries collapse (Germany), mutate (Russia).

We're going to finally understand the French in 20-30 years, I think. We're going to talk about how great we used to be. Sitting in a bar, unemployed, watching a Chinese flag being planted on Mars' Utopia Planitia.

That's what I keep saying, but I'm getting really tired of all the forum bans accumulated over the years. Most people don't care man.... they just don't care.

Marc.Knight

Speaking of President Obama for a moment...  I support him on many issues, and disagree with him on many issues, but it has been disheartening to observe the slow draining away of his initial enthusiasm and idealism.  It appears that much of his creative energy is gone, and the philosophical cohesiveness of the people who initially supported him has diminished proportionately. 

Certainly, outside forces are at work to reduce his influence, but he also tended to alienate himself from many people with the way he has represented this country internationally. 

Am I wrong about these observations?

onan

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 22, 2011, 07:59:43 PM
Speaking of President Obama for a moment...  I support him on many issues, and disagree with him on many issues, but it has been disheartening to observe the slow draining away of his initial enthusiasm and idealism.  It appears that much of his creative energy is gone, and the philosophical cohesiveness of the people who initially supported him has diminished proportionately. 

Certainly, outside forces are at work to reduce his influence, but he also tended to alienate himself from many people with the way he has represented this country internationally. 

Am I wrong about these observations?

Interesting observation. I tend to concur. But I must ask the question, with all the problems that Obama inherited including the exascerbation of smaller issues into larger ones, why is he being held to a higher standard than Bush? I find it (and maybe this is just my bias) interesting how Obama is framed with comments from talking heads that suggest he is failing.

I do not believe that the Bush administration was featured in that light--even with all the obvious wtf moments during his terms.

I really think that if Obama could walk on water the next news cycle would say Obama can't swim.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on March 22, 2011, 08:15:25 PM

Interesting observation. I tend to concur. But I must ask the question, with all the problems that Obama inherited including the exascerbation of smaller issues into larger ones, why is he being held to a higher standard than Bush? I find it (and maybe this is just my bias) interesting how Obama is framed with comments from talking heads that suggest he is failing.

I do not believe that the Bush administration was featured in that light--even with all the obvious wtf moments during his terms.

I really think that if Obama could walk on water the next news cycle would say Obama can't swim.

Most of the talking heads that I have seen are biased ideologues, with no motivation to base their comments on truth.  Obama is not perfect, but I think his thoughts, plans and especially ideals were miles above the comprehension of supposed allies, such as Pelosi, etc...  I think that, like most with his leaning toward intellectualism, he has had to change his approach to communicate more effectively with those around him, especially his political cohorts. 

For anyone, the presidency is an 'on-the-job training' and 'learn as you go' experience, therefore, his perceived indecisiveness and discernment over decisions is being cast in the light of failure.  It is far from it.  We have a thinker in the presidency, and people aren't used to that.

onan

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 22, 2011, 08:29:05 PM

Most of the talking heads that I have seen are biased ideologues, with no motivation to base their comments on truth.  Obama is not perfect, but I think his thoughts, plans and especially ideals were miles above the comprehension of supposed allies, such as Pelosi, etc...  I think that, like most with his leaning toward intellectualism, he has had to change his approach to communicate more effectively with those around him, especially his political cohorts. 

For anyone, the presidency is an 'on-the-job training' and 'learn as you go' experience, therefore, his perceived indecisiveness and discernment over decisions is being cast in the light of failure.  It is far from it.  We have a thinker in the presidency, and people aren't used to that.

Pretty much as always your insights are compelling. I don't have any good answers to why there seems to be dwindling enthusiasm and support other than it is very tiring to continue to clean all the mud being thrown. And it must be very disenheartening to see the public be so confused in their choices at the polls. One day health care reform is considered popular with the general public a few months later it is not. I dunno but I suspect it is the media spinning its manipulations.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on March 22, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

Pretty much as always your insights are compelling. I don't have any good answers to why there seems to be dwindling enthusiasm and support other than it is very tiring to continue to clean all the mud being thrown. And it must be very disenheartening to see the public be so confused in their choices at the polls. One day health care reform is considered popular with the general public a few months later it is not. I dunno but I suspect it is the media spinning its manipulations.

Since 9/11 I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of mainstream media - with its headfirst dive into almost wholesale partisan tainted reporting.  Ironically, I have found that my little local public radio station has provided much more of a calm(ing), circumspect commentary on world affairs. 

I believe that 9/11, as a political temblor, radiated anti-democratic perturbations throughout our society, ...e.g. some facets of the Patriot Act, police powers, unfounded wars (Iraq); and... biased, overly-politicized mainstream media.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 22, 2011, 08:57:52 PM

I believe that 9/11, as a political temblor, radiated anti-democratic perturbations throughout our society, ...e.g. some facets of the Patriot Act, police powers, unfounded wars (Iraq); and... biased, overly-politicized mainstream media.

Just a typical part of American History repeating itself. The same(actually worse) anti-democratic tendencies accompanied the Civil War,Spanish-American War,WWI, WWII, The Cold War...hysteria,paranoia and sheep-like thinking are imbued in the "American Way"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 22, 2011, 08:57:52 PM

Since 9/11 I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of mainstream media - with its headfirst dive into almost wholesale partisan tainted reporting.  Ironically, I have found that my little local public radio station has provided much more of a calm(ing), circumspect commentary on world affairs. 

Over the last couple of years, I have found al jazeera English to be a rather dependable, respectable news source.  Oh, and no, they're not run by terrorists.

EvB

anagrammy

Quote from: Michael V. on March 23, 2011, 12:25:02 AM
Over the last couple of years, I have found al jazeera English to be a rather dependable, respectable news source.  Oh, and no, they're not run by terrorists.

No kidding.  How refreshing to have interviews of a man-on-the-street where the street is located where the action is.  Yesterday I was watching Al Jazeera heard a number of reports from Libyans, for example.  Flip over to CNN and they are interviewing a Norwegian strolling down a street in New York.  WTF?

During 9-11, my best source of news was Portugal.  I saw live video clips that actually stayed on the air.  Many people don't know that Portugal is a connection point for African travelers meeting European or Americans.  They have the best airfare/hotel rates for worldwide conferences.

Not that I've ever been, you understand, but was once planning a romantic hookup with an imaginary internet beau, who when I told him I would meet him in Cape Town on my (imaginary) yacht, he had an imaginary emergency surgery.  But Portugal is for real--check it out.

Anagrammy

Eddie Coyle

Oink fucking oink,not surprised by this shit. I'm particularly annoyed by the wonderful Massachusetts State Police at this moment. Ornery,provocative and making nearly $100,000 per year by being the biggest pricks they can be.

EvB

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 22, 2011, 07:49:14 PM
   Oink fucking oink,not surprised by this shit. I'm particularly annoyed by the wonderful Massachusetts State Police at this moment. Ornery,provocative and making nearly $100,000 per year by being the biggest pricks they can be.

Ain't that the truth.  And, it is now illegal to film a cop on duty n this state. they somehow snuck that one through based on the law that says both partis must be notified to record a phone call.  No shit. 

anagrammy

And what about the surveillance filming of people like you and me going about our daily business buying groceries, doing our banking?  Why isn't video illegal too?  They will answer, "because it solves crimes."  Well, isn't excessive police brutality a crime in Massachusetts?

I was counting on the video to bring justice to law enforcement.

This law is unfair and just plain evil.  Let's have some transparency!

Anagrammy

Eddie Coyle

Cops are essentially tax collectors more often than not. Endless bullshit malum prohibitum enforcement. Parking is a big one in overcrowded Boston, we have brigades of Boston Cops,Municipal Cops,State Troopers and various traffic agencies basically roaming the streets looking for "violators" of absurd statutes. Endless opportunities for them at the overtime troughs, making $48 an hour.

EvB

Quote from: anagrammy on June 22, 2011, 08:35:33 PM

Well, isn't excessive police brutality a crime in Massachusetts?

Anagrammy

Theoretically, YES - but since film is the best way to convince a jury that police action was "excessive" - we don't allow film.

How's that for fucked up?  If the process of putting this law in place had been even translucent, let alone transparent, the people of the Bay State would never have stood for it. that's why it was snuck in as an interpretation of another law.

Bastards.

onan

This is a bit too advertizy for me, but it does have some info.

The Government's War on Cameras!

Cops have a tough job... sometimes. Cops can be fanatical mostly they aren't.

I often wonder though if anyone has actually analyzed the cost for police as opposed to their results. I doubt it is cheap or of high performance. That being said, no police is a worse choice.

b_dubb

NWA said it best: fuck the police

Usagi

Quote from: b_dubb on June 25, 2011, 12:25:15 PM
NWA said it best: fuck the police

And, see... this is why I want a post rating system.  This one gets my vote.  ;)

anagrammy

Quote from: Usagi on June 25, 2011, 12:47:46 PM
And, see... this is why I want a post rating system.  This one gets my vote.  ;)

Ah--that's not actually a post rating system, that's a "like" button.  I like that.

Anagrammy

Usagi

Curious about the two people on this poll who voted that they get their news updates from George Noory.  :o

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Usagi on June 25, 2011, 01:59:12 PM
Curious about the two people on this poll who voted that they get their news updates from George Noory.  :o

A pair of wise-asses...I HOPE.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 25, 2011, 02:24:04 PM
  A pair of wise-asses...I HOPE.

Uhhh... maybe this one wise-ass, twice :)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 25, 2011, 02:30:16 PM

Ahh-thank you...that's very comforting. I feared the worst.

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 25, 2011, 02:30:16 PM

Yeah, I knew it all along............That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)