• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

chefist

I heard on Tom Leykis that the minimum (could be more depending upon how much music you want access to) monthly payment for the music is $5,000...so that is 1000 subscriptions JUST for the music license...then you have to pay the Stream Guys, MW internet, etc, etc.....

They are doing this on a shoestring start-up budget...the fact they are getting a mobile app this quick is pretty exciting! Hopefully they will get the RSS soon as well. 

Quote from: dan7800 on August 03, 2015, 09:22:32 AM
It's been 2 weeks, they've already promised a mobile app. The show is AMAZING. Things are going in the right direction. Step back and let Keith do his job.

This isn't about the quality of the show or about a measly $5/month. Quite frankly, I have no hope in a mobile app if it's Keith handling it when he took the most inconvenient option possible on uploading shows to the website for subscribers. Those that just brush aside complaints like these are only doing Art a disservice.

chefist

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on August 03, 2015, 09:39:32 AM
This isn't about the quality of the show or about a measly $5/month. Quite frankly, I have no hope in a mobile app if it's Keith handling it when he took the most inconvenient option possible on uploading shows to the website for subscribers. Those that just brush aside complaints like these are only doing Art a disservice.

Art is looking for a programmer for the mobile app...he posted an inquiry yesterday...I'm not sure on BG who has that type of experience...

Freyja

Quote from: serenity on August 03, 2015, 07:51:13 AM
.... And all I see is a bunch of us thinking we know more than the guys that are in the business. Of course Art and Keith probably haven't thought  of all this, they have NEVER done this before. (sic)

*venomous sarcasm *

Actually....they have NEVER done THIS before....providing a free live show plus paid for streaming archives on demand.

A business is a business regardless of what the product is.

One can have an outstanding product/service, however if procurement, delivery and customer satisfaction doesn't follow suite, success of said product/service is at risk. 

Add to that, what is the value proposition to the customer/listener for the price increase at this time?  A seamless RSS feed to archives for any device would be one.

Announcing a price increase of 59.8%  for new subscribers after Aug. 20, only 2 weeks into the show without addressing some of these issues which clearly are issues to some existing paid subscribers, is risky IMO.

I have posted what I have, because I want Art and Keith to succeed and not as a criticism for all the work that has been put into bringing Art and MITD to the air live or post.   

Art is great, MITD is great. That said, they are never going to be able to improve their current service offering for paid subscribers if all they are hearing is blind adulation.

Quote from: chefist on August 03, 2015, 09:43:41 AM
Art is looking for a programmer for the mobile app...he posted an inquiry yesterday...I'm not sure on BG who has that type of experience...

Anyone but Keith for the mobile app. Yes, there are plenty of bright minds on BellGab, but why does Art have to use this site as a means to contact an attorney, producer, programmer, or a landscaper? It comes off as taking advantage of people who have followed him for years and are eager to make his life easier.

jerry

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Art's Parts store accept CC payments?  If it can, shouldn't the MitD Subscriptions too?

cweb

The way it was presented initially by Art, I saw the $5 as an "introductory price" for the early adopters. Support the show early on and we'll charge you a bit less. $7 is more than reasonable, still!

I wouldn't be surprised if the $5 price had them operating at a slight loss and the $7 price is what brings them into the black. Even if that's not the case, the money could be covering app development and/or scaling up the operation.

This is largely a labor of love, but one with costs being covered. There's no stated intent to create an empire or topple Coast. If those things happen, great. Until then, let's focus on the task at hand: have fun and take a ride!

Quote from: jerry on August 03, 2015, 10:31:08 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Art's Parts store accept CC payments?  If it can, shouldn't the MitD Subscriptions too?

It's a Cafe Press site so it's most likely their (Cafe Press') payment gateway with the addition of a PayPal option. I say this because I was shopping there this morning. The combined shipping cost reduction led me to believe that CP was handling the entire transaction.   

boxman

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on August 03, 2015, 09:16:59 AM
That is Keith's response to everything. "Well I've never used an RSS feed." "Well I've never used anything but a Wordpress How To website."

They're not going to change anything unless enough people complain.
And that is why constructive criticism is a good thing. No matter how much of a fan you are you should speak up if there is a issue, so that they are at least aware of it. Something like for example the RSS issue is not something that will break their bank to fix and I bet there are people here who could help out as well.
That being said Keith has done alot of good work getting the show back on the air.

chefist

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on August 03, 2015, 10:29:31 AM
Anyone but Keith for the mobile app. Yes, there are plenty of bright minds on BellGab, but why does Art have to use this site as a means to contact an attorney, producer, programmer, or a landscaper? It comes off as taking advantage of people who have followed him for years and are eager to make his life easier.

I would hope he would pay for the service of course. I do this all the time in my business...instead of going to an engineering firm that will charge me $100,000 for a piece of equipment, I find a talented engineer that does it on the side and we get the project done for $25,000...

It seems that UFO sightings have been rampant since Art's return. A coincidence?  8)

What bothers me is that very little forethought went into this project even though they had nearly two years to take it all in. The DMDN website is atrocious and difficult to navigate which, coming from a supposed "tech guy" like Keith who has another website that looks like a mediocre angelfire page (see: http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/), comes as no surprise. For the Bellarinas that have been adamant that they will not subscribe as long as Paypal is the only payment option, how many others that don't use the site feel the same way?

QuoteNOTICE: Your email address as recorded here, must match your email address on your PayPal account, otherwise your monthly payment will not be received here. Your email addresses MUST MATCH, Thank You. - krowland

Art and Keith are leaving money on the table by not acting faster, just like WhiteCrow said earlier. The thing is, the account system of DMDN is built with Paypal in mind (check your username) so unless a major overhaul is done, there won't be other ways to pay in the future and certainly not with Keith's dismissive attitude on the subject. That goes for complaints over the lack of an RSS feed as well, which is why people are riled over an announcement of a price increase two weeks into the new show when there are still systemic flaws. It has nothing to do with the actual dollar amount to subscribe or quality of the show, just everything else.

nika01

Wow, what a collection of armchair quarterbacks.

I dont have any issues with anything that has been done. Everything works, most of the time, the price is right.  I think what some people don't realize is that the whole MITD thing is a labor of love first, not economics or technology. Sure, there are things that could be better, but in the end who really cares. You can listen to AB for free, download podcasts, etc. Making useful suggestions is a good thing, bitching about how things are not the way you would do it is counterproductive and hurtful to people that have given a lot of themselves to make this all possible.

Asadora

The paranormal news is included in the playback and I'm very happy about that:)

So, Art and Keith...wherever you are, thank you very much:)
And yes, I'm a Time Traveler again with no intention of leaving - ever-:)

It's not often in this world when one or just a few people that complain about something actually get heard and are given what they wanted.
That to me is worth the $5 or £3.41 a month.
Looking forward to tomorrow morning to hear tonight's show - gonna make my coffee taste sooo much better!

Yay:)
:D

dan7800

Quote from: nika01 on August 03, 2015, 11:55:24 AM
Wow, what a collection of armchair quarterbacks.

If people don't like it, why don't they write their own website and app and provide it to Keith Art? With the knowledge of everyone here, I bet they can create something better in about 20 minutes.

nika01

Quote from: dan7800 on August 03, 2015, 12:02:49 PM
If people don't like it, why don't they write their own website and app and provide it to Keith Art? With the knowledge of everyone here, I bet they can create something better in about 20 minutes.

Yes, and solve the JFK mystery, provide bones of Jimmy Hoffa, and even a few bits of the crashed Roswell saucer.........

saucerlike

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 03, 2015, 12:50:48 AM
It's because if you've ever run afoul of paypal for any reason and had an account suspended then you can't ever use that credit card number associated with that account to pay for anything ever again using a paypal gateway. I don't get the lack of a second gateway thing, it's an easily solved problem.
OK, that situation I can understand.  But otherwise I use it w/my card like any other processing page.  I must be missing something here.

ItsOver

I'm happy.  Hell, I'm thrilled.  I get to listen to Art Bell 5 nights a week.  Actually 6, if I tune into "Somewhere in Time."

nika01

Quote from: ItsOver on August 03, 2015, 12:23:39 PM
I'm happy.  Hell, I'm thrilled.  I get to listen to Art Bell 5 nights a week.  Actually 6, if I tune into "Somewhere in Time."

Get yourself one of these to fix your glasses problems, and your life will be golden

dan7800

Who will be Art's guest tonight?

ItsOver

Quote from: nika01 on August 03, 2015, 12:30:38 PM
Get yourself one of these to fix your glasses problems, and your life will be golden
How long ago was it Art was selling cassettes for his show?  Call me easy to please.  You can listen to the show live for no charge.  Crap, podcasts are advanced technology and just icing on the cake for me.  ;)

EarthAlien007

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

Is it Paul?

Ms. C

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on August 03, 2015, 01:05:47 PM
Is it Paul?
I'd been wondering that myself since last night ... (I thought I saw a comment or two from gabblings that mentioned him.) 

Surmo

Quote from: DanTSX on August 03, 2015, 06:32:29 AM

A week ago I would had told you that you hand not have had Art this good since 2003.  But after two weeks, I'm inclined to say that you haven't have heard Art this good EVER.   This is literally his finest hour.

The most cogent point I've seen made in a long time.

My biggest fear was the caller pool would not be up to the job.  And while is is still a bit uneven, all in all it has been pretty good so far, indicating the pool itself is large enough, and the intellect of the callers is high enough.  Compare these callers to the ones the other show gets.......

lonevoice

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM

BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

I'm hoping it's a guy who decides on a Monday that Art Bell should be interviewed by John Bachelor, heard live on several hundred terrestrial stations, streamed on iHateArt radio, and four days later makes it happen.  Maybe a guy who has a proven track record of procuring his own guests, ones that deliver engaging interviews of the sort that Art Bell fans appreciate. 

Yeah, that guy.  That's who I'd pick if he was available, and count myself lucky indeed.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Meister_000 on August 03, 2015, 03:07:24 AM
I had an email exchange with Keith two weeks prior to Art's return regarding the well known problems with PayPal and the need for an alternate payment method, and he essentially blew me off with "well I've never had any problems".

Same here with the same result. It's a very simple problem to fix, go to the local bank and have them set up a gateway.

Surmo

Quote from: lonevoice on August 03, 2015, 01:25:54 PM
I'm hoping it's a guy who decides on a Monday that Art Bell should be interviewed by John Bachelor, heard live on several hundred terrestrial stations, streamed on iHateArt radio, and four days later makes it happen.  Maybe a guy who has a proven track record of procuring his own guests, ones that deliver engaging interviews of the sort that Art Bell fans appreciate. 

Yeah, that guy.  That's who I'd pick if he was available, and count myself lucky indeed.

A lot of smart people posting comments on BellGab lately.......  I'd second that choice, though its probably more like 32nd that choice......

lonevoice

Quote from: Surmo on August 03, 2015, 01:29:56 PM
A lot of smart people posting comments on BellGab lately.......  I'd second that choice, though its probably more like 32nd that choice......
Hi, Surmo!  If anyone has guessed correctly, they're probably not going to get Art's gold star because I doubt he's going to be spending his time scrolling through walls of text.  :)

Tonight's guest is a bit of a mystery.  How fun!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: lonevoice on August 03, 2015, 01:25:54 PM

I would triple that motion.

Surmo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 03, 2015, 01:36:06 PM
I would triple that motion.

Now that we three have spoken, it must be so!

Let it be written.  Let it be done.