• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 03, 2019, 02:28:36 PM
It has always puzzled me that pancakes should be ranked so highly in our cuisine.  There is nothing to them:  the lingonberries come in a jar, and the pancakes (more like thick crepes to Americans) are so basic that consulting a recipe, let alone citing one, is laughable.  Just thin flour and eggs with whatever liquid you have on hand (milk, cream, brandy -- I've even used water) until it is runny enough to cover the bottom of a frying pan, and fry in butter.

It would be hard to top Sardinefest 2019 -- Rix's complementary libations were beyond potent, you were a beast at the Halling, and my ode in praise of the noble cod was met with only a few sniggers -- but Mrs. Corliss's sursild might just do it.

I still carry a mild headache after that wonderful celebration.  I consider it to be a fond reminder of a wild and happy time spent with friends.   

Rix Gins

Bremen, Ga.  1/5

Reached here this
evening - saw G & H
and stopped with
Pearl wed. night.
The weather has been
fine so far will
write you when I
get located.  Write me
general delivery Arcadia Flo
                         John

Rix Gins

No extra forks and spoons at this place.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 11, 2019, 12:34:32 AM

No extra forks and spoons at this place.

That is the second restaurant you've shown using multicolored ball jugs (mostly) as table decoration -- I believe the first was in California.  I always wondered why ebay has so many of them available.  It sure livens up the place.  I am guessing (hoping, really) that all that water was needed to blunt the edge of some powerful seaside cocktails.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 10, 2019, 01:02:56 AM

Bremen, Ga.  1/5

Reached here this
evening - saw G & H
and stopped with
Pearl wed. night.
The weather has been
fine so far will
write you when I
get located.  Write me
general delivery Arcadia Flo
                         John
Somewhat like "Wall Drug" one used to see signage, especially on barns and billboard, along highways "SEE ROCK CITY." I miss that there aren't more roadside attractions, that are often cheesy, a gimmick, or promise some weird stuff- or just a nice view. I think air conditioning, better mileage, less vacation time, more 'super highways,' cheaper air travel, and ipods/etc mean less stopping to see "places."

Rix Gins

I used to pass through this area in the past.  If this postcard has a stamp cancellation date of I think, December 30, 1910, then nothing much has changed, at least from the direction that the photograph was taken.  In modern days, Riverside Park is still there on the right, I'm thinking it has grown bigger over the years.  There is a swanky resort of sorts on the other side of the river.  They offer jet boat rides every summer.  There is also an interstate freeway that runs along those hills to the left.  That wrinkle in the postcard actually kind of reflects where the freeway is.

Rix Gins

What...yet more multicolored ball jugs on some of the tables?

Thursday

Thought you needed
one more card so here
it is.  Wondering how
you enjoyed the Keys
and wishing we were
with you.  Our friends
arriving by plane Sat.
at 1:59 - Have asked
them to save a room
here for them  Always CSB

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 14, 2019, 02:05:26 AM

What...yet more multicolored ball jugs on some of the tables?

Thursday

Thought you needed
one more card so here
it is.  Wondering how
you enjoyed the Keys
and wishing we were
with you.  Our friends
arriving by plane Sat.
at 1:59 - Have asked
them to save a room
here for them  Always CSB

This one is helpfully dated, too!  The place has all the charm of a hospital cafeteria but, back in 1960, those glass dividers and all that formica must have been terribly sleek and modern.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 14, 2019, 07:26:36 AM
This one is helpfully dated, too!  The place has all the charm of a hospital cafeteria but, back in 1960, those glass dividers and all that formica must have been terribly sleek and modern.

Oddly enough, I noticed another postcard on this week's postcard auction that looks exactly like the one above, but St. Clairs isn't printed on the back.  Not sure which name came first, St. Clairs or Boulevard.

Rix Gins

These mountains are very
high.  We can see
them from our house.
In this view the range which is 15 miles long is cut off by near
islands but we can see all of 4
or 5 miles.  The sunset is correct as
when it is good, it is like this.

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 16, 2019, 01:15:27 AM
Oddly enough, I noticed another postcard on this week's postcard auction that looks exactly like the one above, but St. Clairs isn't printed on the back.  Not sure which name came first, St. Clairs or Boulevard.

It looked just as snazzy on the outside as well.

Seems as if there is a hot yoga place at that address today.  Too bad......

There is a Boulevard place in Miami Beach but most of the reviews are one star:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34439-d11946369-Reviews-Boulevard_Hotel_Cafe-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Rix,

Here is another one to keep your eyes peeled for - the Turkey Roost

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Roost-restaurant-1-mile-N-of-Kawkawlin-MI-vintage-Postcard-/123811404579?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Used to eat there as a kid with my Grand Parents.  Happily it is still there and basically unchanged.  Well the phone booth is gone
and they used to have a Tom locked in a cage out front, so you could see your meal's uncle as you walked in. Was in the area with my family a couple of years back.  Had to stop!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2019, 04:47:42 AM

Seems as if there is a hot yoga place at that address today.  Too bad......

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34439-d11946369-Reviews-Boulevard_Hotel_Cafe-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Those huge outdoor wall sconces are something else!  They've redecorated, too:  the ball jugs are gone, the glass dividers have become confettied, the pierced copper can lights (probably with little stars and moons on them) have vanished, and the mix-'n'-match chairs are now a uniform powder-blue naugahyde.

Here I am assuming St. Clair's came later because that is usually how it works but, style-wise, I honestly couldn't tell you which is the earlier interior, which grieves me to no end.

K_Dubb

These folks gave it three stars, though, and they don't look like the kind who just hand them out like candy.

starrmtn001

The very early days of where I used to live.
Mt Baldy, California.

Quote from: StarrMountain on July 16, 2019, 11:18:19 AM
The very early days of where I used to live.
Mt Baldy, California.

That's very nice Starr.   No Zeppelin overhead though.  My place of origin has a zeppelin.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2019, 04:24:53 PM

That's very nice Starr.   No Zeppelin overhead though.  My place of origin has a zeppelin.

Dammn, MC5, The Nuge, and now Zeppelin?

starrmtn001

If it makes you feel better, one of the residents used to occasionally "Barnstorm" Mt Baldy Village in his Mustang.  Pissed some of the "old timers" off, but I got such a rush from that engine.  Oh Baby!  Sadly, I never found out who he/she was.  I would have loved to be on board on one of those runs. ;) ;D

WOTR

That is a really interesting postcard. It is really close to the engraving on an alto sax that I have... The Martin searchlight (I seem to recall it was made around 1935?)

This is not mine (mine is in silver), but shows the skyline, the searchlights, and an airplane (or flying saucer?) in the engraving. Beautiful sax (and eerily similar to your picture.)

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2019, 04:47:42 AM

I am almost done reading all 28 pages of the reviews posted for the hotel connected to the restaurant. I think every Bellgabber would appreciate some of the descriptions used to describe this dump. I suppose when a single room right on the beach runs under $60 per night, you cannot be shocked to find bedbugs, roaches, drunks and bullet holes. Or that it may not include coffee, soap, bed lamps or towels...

It is funny. Probably a decade ago I walked past that hotel around 10:00 on a Friday or Saturday night. the restaurant was busy, and I almost went in for a drink. I'm sure I have a picture of it as it really did look like a cool "art deco" throwback (with it's neighbouring hotel.)

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g34439-d101434-Reviews-or80-Boulevard_Hotel-Miami_Beach_Florida.html#REVIEWS

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 25, 2019, 12:29:15 AM

Cugie -- oh I love him!  It's a toss-up between this one and Aquellos ojos verdes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouuiIYO0Oc

Dream, dream while I lull you
With the spell of this song I made for you.
Sleep, sleep calmly, my sweet
While I watch with passion the night pass by.

I wish that nothing would ever separate us
Because my love and my life and my everything is you, mujercita ideal.
Sleep, sleep while I lull you
With the spell of this prayer I sing for you.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 25, 2019, 08:55:06 AM
Cugie -- oh I love him!  It's a toss-up between this one and Aquellos ojos verdes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouuiIYO0Oc

Dream, dream while I lull you
With the spell of this song I made for you.
Sleep, sleep calmly, my sweet
While I watch with passion the night pass by.

I wish that nothing would ever separate us
Because my love and my life and my everything is you, mujercita ideal.
Sleep, sleep while I lull you
With the spell of this prayer I sing for you.

Oh, that was great, K!  Did you know that Desi Arnaz was a singer for Xavier for awhile?  I'm not too sure if Cugat payed his people a livable wage.  When Desi announced that he was starting his own band, Cugie said, "You're gonna starve."  Desi threw his arms up and shouted, "I'm starving right now!"

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 26, 2019, 12:36:13 AM
Oh, that was great, K!  Did you know that Desi Arnaz was a singer for Xavier for awhile?  I'm not too sure if Cugat payed his people a livable wage.  When Desi announced that he was starting his own band, Cugie said, "You're gonna starve."  Desi threw his arms up and shouted, "I'm starving right now!"

I did not know!  I can totally see him saying that, too.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 16, 2019, 05:14:16 AM
Rix,

Here is another one to keep your eyes peeled for - the Turkey Roost

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Roost-restaurant-1-mile-N-of-Kawkawlin-MI-vintage-Postcard-/123811404579?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Used to eat there as a kid with my Grand Parents.  Happily it is still there and basically unchanged.  Well the phone booth is gone
and they used to have a Tom locked in a cage out front, so you could see your meal's uncle as you walked in. Was in the area with my family a couple of years back.  Had to stop!

Thanks, Walks.  I'll keep an eye out for it.