• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on December 19, 2011, 07:31:20 AM
You farted while (forgive me, whilst) driving? You should have done the mushrooms, instead? You're involved with Loudon's son, Rufus? I have absolutely no idea. Do tell!

First of all, I am by no means condoning irresponsible drug abuse. read that sentence carefully.

The above song has been a favourite of mine for half my life, but sat. night I got to act it out. I don't know if it was twelve years exactly but it was my first acid trip this century. It's very hard to find here, so we had to wait till someone made it themselves (yikes) but it was worth the wait. I wish I had some amusing stories to tell, but the best I can do is a disjointed memory of throwing up in my friends garden amongst the snow and the moonlight, then realising I could hear the next-door neighbour shovelling snow, signalling the end of saturday night and the grim dawn of The Morning After.

KIDS!! don't try this at home, unless you have plenty of weed and Devo.

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on December 19, 2011, 09:43:21 AM
First of all, I am by no means condoning irresponsible drug abuse. read that sentence carefully.

The above song has been a favourite of mine for half my life, but sat. night I got to act it out. I don't know if it was twelve years exactly but it was my first acid trip this century. It's very hard to find here, so we had to wait till someone made it themselves (yikes) but it was worth the wait. I wish I had some amusing stories to tell, but the best I can do is a disjointed memory of throwing up in my friends garden amongst the snow and the moonlight, then realising I could hear the next-door neighbour shovelling snow, signalling the end of saturday night and the grim dawn of The Morning After.

KIDS!! don't try this at home, unless you have plenty of weed and Devo.

Aw! A heart-warming tale of your first acid trip, just in time for Chanukah! But even better than Devo:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Dare To Be Stupid

Quote from: BobGrau on December 19, 2011, 09:43:21 AM

A glorious return for the holidays.

Home made acid is pretty brave of you.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on December 19, 2011, 06:24:44 PM
Aw! A heart-warming tale of your first acid trip

(ahem) no, the first time was in 1992, when I was 15. My idiot friends decided to combine it with some heavy solvent abuse. I watched aghast as they started screaming and ran off into the dark. not so heart warming. this is an example of the 'irresponsible drug abuse' that I mentioned above.

I stopped sometime in the late nineties due to some bad experiences like the above, which is why I'm so pleased that saturday went without a hitch (even vomiting into the snow was simply funny and interesting to observe).

Can't wait till next decade  :D

PS Dare to be stupid was in Transformers: the movie when I was a kid, and I used to hate it! I didn't know devo then, though.

Midnight Express 8-Bit

I guess this counts as music.  It's cool either way.   8)

b_dubb

i learned about a month ago that the guy i used to share a cubicle with at work is in a punk band

http://youtu.be/dRIy-mos-Fw

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on December 20, 2011, 11:48:06 AM
PS Dare to be stupid was in Transformers: the movie when I was a kid, and I used to hate it! I didn't know devo then, though.

After I posted my reply, I was worried you might think I was indirectly referring to your experiences as stupid. Let me assure you that I was not. Despite Transformers, I have been told, by anime freaks, that Weird Al's animation in the video is way fabulous and psychedelic. Musically, it's Devo combined with Flock of Seagulls - a fantastic parody of both.

A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away) [1982]

Avi

Shiver me timbers! The amazing, multi-instrumentalist, multiple-genre composer and song-writer, Joan Armatrading:

down to zero " joan armatrading live at rockpalast 1980

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on December 28, 2011, 04:58:54 AM
Shiver me timbers!

Shiver me 'timbres'?

...sorry.

Actually, whilst checking that 'timbre' is definetley a word I came across this little gem -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I recently took the bold step of buying some half-decent music software - with the intention of playing with people's minds - so this popped up at just the right time. Ole!

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on December 28, 2011, 05:20:52 PM
Shiver me 'timbres'?

...sorry.

Actually, whilst checking that 'timbre' is definetley a word I came across this little gem -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I recently took the bold step of buying some half-decent music software - with the intention of playing with people's minds - so this popped up at just the right time. Ole!

Are you sure you've laid off the acid? Actually, I apologize for my pirate-speak, but we snooty musicians pronounce timbre a la mode francaise, i.e., "tambruh." Now, you and your music software can successfully infiltrate the smoky back rooms where musicologists and psycho-acousticians mingle.

"Ole!" almost makes one long for the acid-loving heyday of explosive organs, even before my time. Organ players are a different breed, but on that note (heh-heh): What is a burning piano good for? Setting an organ on fire. Why is an organ better than a piano? It burns longer. How many organists does it take to change a lightbulb? Five. One to change the bulb, and the other four to contemplate how E. Power Biggs would have done it.

Here is the song, psycho-acoustically declared, to play with people's minds:

Yoko Ono - Why

BobGrau

the esteemed Mr Jenkinson on man/machine relations (part 1)

Squarepusher interview by Mary Anne Hobbes Part 1 of 2

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on January 05, 2012, 02:44:01 PM
the esteemed Mr Jenkinson on man/machine relations (part 1)

And here I thought you were trying to discourage people from irresponsible drug abuse. Of course, I am a priest of the acoustic-all-the-way temple, even though I must occasionally truck with the electric.

Rush - 2112 / Overture - The Temples Of Syrinx

Mr. Roboto- Styx

And this is why:

Lindsey Buckingham "Big Love" Live Acoustic Performance

BobGrau

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on January 06, 2012, 05:46:59 AM
skip to 4.45 for some hot bass love action

Love action? Nah... this is very sexy:

Esperanza Spalding - Sunlight - Austin Limits 2009 -.avi

Esperanza Spalding - Overjoyed

Now, the musicologist will shut up.

Avi

Thanks, Bob! Wow! That was horrific in a way that I, a musicologist, cannot even begin to describe. Is Peter Hamilton still living? Someone needs to kill him. I would write more, but I feel my head beginning to implode.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on January 14, 2012, 07:56:04 PM
Thanks, Bob! Wow! That was horrific in a way that I, a musicologist, cannot even begin to describe. Is Peter Hamilton still living? Someone needs to kill him. I would write more, but I feel my head beginning to implode.

I like it! I didn't live through the full horror of disco first time round, tho.

Some friends of mine are having some, er, disco style refreshments tonight so i've just sent them that link  :P

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on January 14, 2012, 11:35:42 PM
I like it! I didn't live through the full horror of disco first time round, tho.

You young whipper-snappers have lost your way. See, if you really wanted to annoy your parents, you would have no truck with rap and hip-hop. It would be disco all the way. I was appalled by it simply because my old, dope-smokin' hippy father liked it (well, enough to wear a gold necklace on his hairy-ass chest). Disco is sadly deranged whitey funk. Oh, that's right. You're British.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on January 15, 2012, 03:31:42 AM
You young whipper-snappers have lost your way. See, if you really wanted to annoy your parents, you would have no truck with rap and hip-hop. It would be disco all the way. I was appalled by it simply because my old, dope-smokin' hippy father liked it (well, enough to wear a gold necklace on his hairy-ass chest). Disco is sadly deranged whitey funk. Oh, that's right. You're British.

Goldie Lookin Chain - Fresh Prince of Cwmbran

Avi

You know I try to avoid lard. But since you went there:

Din Din Aviv and Yael Naim - Mashmauyot

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on January 15, 2012, 07:52:03 AM
You know I try to avoid lard. But since you went there:

Din Din Aviv and Yael Naim - Mashmauyot

dude looks like Art Bell