• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

trostol

Quote from: Chronaut on January 16, 2016, 10:49:05 PM
I’m not a fan of lynch mobs or band wagons, and I’m not going to line up to praise MV or anyone else.

I think that sometimes you have to put on your “big boy pants” and grok that when bad things happens, usually everyone involved shares some of the blame.

The recent blowback actually has nothing to do with Art Bell going off the air after the recent stalker incidents at his home.  If that’s all that had happened, the vast majority of his fans would’ve expressed concern and patience through this.  The blowback he’s received is a cumulative frustration over his previous departures from hosting his shows.  And that’s unfortunate, because his decision to take a hiatus while his family feels imperiled isn’t a valid reason to burn his house down, and in fact, he deserved some measure of compassion and support after being stalked and apparently even intimidated by gun shots at his home.  I don’t think that anyone would’ve expected the intense animosity that he’s been subjected to since his latest departure under these conditions, least of all Art, so it must’ve struck him as a miserable shock delivered at an already terrible time.

MV, your position when the blowback started was very passive aggressive â€" perhaps because you felt personally disappointed by Art’s latest announcement to depart the show, I don’t know, but you chose to sit back and let slip the dogs of war.  Inaction is an action; some of the blame for what has happened since rests upon your shoulders.

A lot of really horrific stuff has been said around here lately.  Innocent people have been dragged into it.  And some of the worst types of people on the planet have basked in the vile atmosphere here.  Art shares some of the blame for that, because his fans have been remarkably loyal and supportive for a long time, and his history of retirements makes many of them feel disposable if not outright betrayed.  But MV also shares some of the blame for leaning back and watching “THE Art Bell Fan Forum” turn into a cesspool of rage directed not only at Art, but also at Heather, and even invoking his most painful and totally unrelated personal experiences involving his family.

I don’t condone Art’s roundabout and conditional threat of legal action, but I understand it.  Many of Art’s fans feel betrayed by his long history of sudden “retirements,” and I understand that.  But imagine how he must feel reading through the hundreds of pages of hateful and often way over the top attacks against him.  He saw this place as a prickly but “vaguely lovable” source of support and a certain level of camaraderie.  Image how he must’ve felt watching this namesake site turned into a shooting gallery against him, where no blow is considered too low.  With my home and career in ruins, an unknown gunman on the loose, and my last refuge for a friendly social media fix turned viciously against me, I’d probably be looking for a way to grab hold of a reign as well.

So I won’t be raising any torches, or raising any glasses, to anyone tonight.

thats a load...Art is a grown man and for him to let a few trolls outshine the vast majority of the well wishers..those that understood the situation and to continue to blame a handful of trolls and taking their word more to heart than the support he got..well thats just on him..and yes ..some of what was said to both him and Heather was pushing the line..but in the end..this is a forum..that supported him..hell even went above and beyond to get him back on the air and yet..were cast aside

why should a largely unmoderated site suddenly become one when someone got butthurt and was constantly doing things that made 0 sense in the overall story he told? hell last night Heather even had some of the facts..changed when she was telling a caller about what happened

DeltaBravo

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 16, 2016, 11:16:14 PM
A poor attempt at damage control.
"Sycophants Delight"

channer1

I’m not a fan of lynch mobs or band wagons, and I’m not going to line up to praise MV or anyone else.

I think that sometimes you have to put on your “big boy pants” and grok that when bad things happens, usually everyone involved shares some of the blame.

The recent blowback actually has nothing to do with Art Bell going off the air after the recent stalker incidents at his home.  If that’s all that had happened, the vast majority of his fans would’ve expressed concern and patience through this.  The blowback he’s received is a cumulative frustration over his previous departures from hosting his shows.  And that’s unfortunate, because his decision to take a hiatus while his family feels imperiled isn’t a valid reason to burn his house down, and in fact, he deserved some measure of compassion and support after being stalked and apparently even intimidated by gun shots at his home.  I don’t think that anyone would’ve expected the intense animosity that he’s been subjected to since his latest departure under these conditions, least of all Art, so it must’ve struck him as a miserable shock delivered at an already terrible time.

MV, your position when the blowback started was very passive aggressive â€" perhaps because you felt personally disappointed by Art’s latest announcement to depart the show, I don’t know, but you chose to sit back and let slip the dogs of war.  Inaction is an action; some of the blame for what has happened since rests upon your shoulders.

A lot of really horrific stuff has been said around here lately.  Innocent people have been dragged into it.  And some of the worst types of people on the planet have basked in the vile atmosphere here.  Art shares some of the blame for that, because his fans have been remarkably loyal and supportive for a long time, and his history of retirements makes many of them feel disposable if not outright betrayed.  But MV also shares some of the blame for leaning back and watching “THE Art Bell Fan Forum” turn into a cesspool of rage directed not only at Art, but also at Heather, and even invoking his most painful and totally unrelated personal experiences involving his family.

I don’t condone Art’s roundabout and conditional threat of legal action, but I understand it.  Many of Art’s fans feel betrayed by his long history of sudden “retirements,” and I understand that.  But imagine how he must feel reading through the hundreds of pages of hateful and often way over the top attacks against him.  He saw this place as a prickly but “vaguely lovable” source of support and a certain level of camaraderie.  Image how he must’ve felt watching this namesake site turned into a shooting gallery against him, where no blow is considered too low.  With my home and career in ruins, an unknown gunman on the loose, and my last refuge for a friendly social media fix turned viciously against me, I’d probably be looking for a way to grab hold of a reign as well.

+ 1000

AvDaBr

"A lot of really horrific stuff has been said around here lately." 

"Lately" goes back a ways you know.  The only thing that's changed is the target of the vitriol.  It's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.     

norland2424

now this made me laugh

i think we are all at our best
when we talk about where to get a good steak !

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on January 16, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
now this made me laugh

yeah..all he has on his page is yes men really..all they ever do is praise and pray for him

Chronaut

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 11:04:24 PM
thats a load...Art is a grown man and for him to let a few trolls outshine the vast majority of the well wishers..those that understood the situation and to continue to blame a handful of trolls and taking their word more to heart than the support he got..well thats just on him..
You’re talking about his recent statement about not returning because of the heavy trolling of late.  Yeah I wasn’t talking about that.  But I agree that it’s weird and disappointing that he seems to be more concerned with the rubbish that a few adolescent dipshits spew, than the outpouring of thoughtful words of support from his rational and long-standing fans.  Perhaps in time he’ll see things in their proper perspective.

and yes ..some of what was said to both him and Heather was pushing the line..but in the end..this is a forum..that supported him..hell even went above and beyond to get him back on the air and yet..were cast aside
I’d say “over the line” rather than “pushing the line,” but nevertheless:  I don’t see his latest hiatus as “casting aside” his fans.  I just don’t take it that personally.  If he’d hung up the mic over a painful bunion, yeah that would’ve felt dismissive.  But an armed lunatic prowling around the place at random moments?  I don’t hold that against him.

why should a largely unmoderated site suddenly become one when someone got butthurt and was constantly doing things that made 0 sense in the overall story he told? hell last night Heather even had some of the facts..changed when she was telling a caller about what happened
There have been things said here that shouldn’t be tolerated on any chat forum, imo.  It’s cowardly and inexcusable to take shots at kids and lost loved ones.  Especially when you’re targeting a known individual from the comfy anonymity of a message board.  If everyone here was anonymous, it would be a different situation, and I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone saying anything.  But the asymmetry introduces a balancing problem.

I didn’t hear the show last night so I can’t speak to any of the “inconsistencies in the story” that you mentioned.  But I don’t buy the “it’s all an act” hypothesis.  I know that it’s fashionable for people to want to be “wise to the REAL truth,” but I don’t see any indication of deceit here.  Just the ugly reality that America still has too many psychos with firearms, and people in a bad situation make mistakes and misstatements, as people tend to do.

trostol

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on January 16, 2016, 11:32:05 PM
i think we are all at our best
when we talk about where to get a good steak !

mmmm...steak...what cut is the better question...a nice porterhouse

norland2424

and they call us crazy here on bellgab  ??? ???

trostol

Quote from: Chronaut on January 16, 2016, 11:32:40 PM
You’re talking about his recent statement about not returning because of the heavy trolling of late.  Yeah I wasn’t talking about that.  But I agree that it’s weird and disappointing that he seems to be more concerned with the rubbish that a few adolescent dipshits spew, than the outpouring of thoughtful words of support from his rational and long-standing fans.  Perhaps in time he’ll see things in their proper perspective.
I’d say “over the line” rather than “pushing the line,” but nevertheless:  I don’t see his latest hiatus as “casting aside” his fans.  I just don’t take it that personally.  If he’d hung up the mic over a painful bunion, yeah that would’ve felt dismissive.  But an armed lunatic prowling around the place at random moments?  I don’t hold that against him.
There have been things said here that shouldn’t be tolerated on any chat forum, imo.  It’s cowardly and inexcusable to take shots at kids and lost loved ones.  Especially when you’re targeting a known individual from the comfy anonymity of a message board.  If everyone here was anonymous, it would be a different situation, and I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone saying anything.  But the asymmetry introduces a balancing problem.

I didn’t hear the show last night so I can’t speak to any of the “inconsistencies in the story” that you mentioned.  But I don’t buy the “it’s all an act” hypothesis.  I know that it’s fashionable for people to want to be “wise to the REAL truth,” but I don’t see any indication of deceit here.  Just the ugly reality that America still has too many psychos with firearms, and people in a bad situation make mistakes and misstatements, as people tend to do.

no..by all means i am not saying it was an act..but the story that Heather told last night was different from what we were originally told was all i was stating..in the end the changed details may mean nothing..just struck me as funny as it was..different

as for the "trolls" it comes down how ya handle them on a personal level..either just let them be and they will get bored..or engage them which they thrive on

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on January 16, 2016, 11:35:50 PM
and they call us crazy here on bellgab  ??? ???

lol wow

and did the first guy wanna go on a butt hunt?

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 11:37:30 PM
lol wow

and did the first guy wanna go on a butt hunt?

i think so lol, anyone want to join the art bell militia ?

So i dont have 2 hours to catch up on the last week of Hellgab drama. Can someone fill me in on the status of the show and what is going on in here. ?

yea  the new thread    Join the art bell militia !

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 16, 2016, 11:16:14 PM
A poor attempt at damage control.

Agreed, Duke. I'm truly sorry to say it's a refrain he's repeated so often it no longer has any impact. 

Hope all's well!  Are you listening to our friend up north tonight?

MV/Liberace!

Downgraded to "Homeless HIV Mode."

Chronaut

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 11:36:08 PM
no..by all means i am not saying it was an act..but the story that Heather told last night was different from what we were originally told was all i was stating..in the end the changed details may mean nothing..just struck me as funny as it was..different

Hopefully someone will post the specifics so I know what you're talking about - I really don;t want to wade through another open lines show....they've been pretty rotten lately.

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 11:36:08 PM
as for the "trolls" it comes down how ya handle them on a personal level..either just let them be and they will get bored..or engage them which they thrive on

Yeah, you're right.  Calling out the last one and threatening to sue was literally the worst thing he could've done, viz:  "Hey everybody, look how significant I am - I got called out by a celebrity!!"  Ugh.  I think we tend to forget that Art's of a different generation and never really got savvy with the wild and woolly ways of the interwebs.  That, and his impulsive character, makes him the perfect troll bait.

turbo turbo turbo   lol

trostol

Real friends don't turn on their friends, I know it stings but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Let them go if possible and focus on all the people who truly see you and support you!

i like how those "friends" on his page believe he A. knows who they are and B. would do anything to help them if they needed it..

Chronaut

Quote from: MV on January 16, 2016, 11:44:19 PM
Downgraded to "Homeless HIV Mode."

Hey - hey man - can you spare a little methadone?  God bless you.

trostol

Quote from: Chronaut on January 16, 2016, 11:45:24 PM
Hopefully someone will post the specifics so I know what you're talking about - I really don;t want to wade through another open lines show....they've been pretty rotten lately.

Yeah, you're right.  Calling out the last one and threatening to sue was literally the worst thing he could've done, viz:  "Hey everybody, look how significant I am - I got called out by a celebrity!!"  Ugh.  I think we tend to forget that Art's of a different generation and never really got savvy with the wild and woolly ways of the interwebs.  That, and his impulsive character, makes him the perfect troll bait.

the first part she said the car was seen driving up and shooting at Art's compound

second i believe she implied the guy by the side of the house ..that art got a good look at him and had a description...

then on the one where Art had to go to the ground..she left out the or firecracker part that Art had said..she just said it was a 22