• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

trostol

Quote from: PrairieGhost on August 26, 2015, 11:23:48 PM
I know this is exactly robots/AI but anyone else love Metropolis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcReykfvqi4

still never have sat down to watch it..keep meaning to lol

Dr_Blue

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:25:03 PM
We already do it. It's just a matter of how it's framed. It will start as a medical technology then it will become an entertainment technology and then it will evolve into an educational/intelligence tech.
Perhaps the financial as in paying with chip?

We already have computers starting to compute on the femto scale. They are in their infancy, but they are there. Given Moores modified law of information progress, I question whether our slow and very big biological/chemical brains can keep up with enhancements. Transcendence on the other hand, maybe so.

trostol

hmm..i might have to go watch Sarah Conner Chronicles now..didnt know the singer from Garbage was in it

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:21:45 PM
Well, also in that we're closer to a biotechnological revolution than we are in creating a truly superintelligent AI. We'll be able to enhance our own intelligence a decade or so before we can get an AI that surpasses current human intelligence. One field is moving faster than that other.

That's up for debate.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 11:26:13 PM
  Perhaps the financial as in paying with chip?

Funny enough, that will be a harder sell to the human race. We can do it now, just put a chip in someone's finger like you would inside a pet. But security is not something that people will go that far with initially. It must be sold as a medical technology or an entertainment tech. And it will be.

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:25:41 PM
still never have sat down to watch it..keep meaning to lol

I bought the version recovered from Argentina a few year's back, and still haven't watched it.

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:27:07 PM
hmm..i might have to go watch Sarah Conner Chronicles now..didnt know the singer from Garbage was in it

she is? who is she on the show?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 11:27:42 PM
That's up for debate.

It is, but look, we're going to need one hell of a computer for superintelligent AI. At this stage, we can't even look at a "quantum computer" and agree that it's actually a quantum computer. Yet we can have paralyzed people operate robotic arms through a brain/computer interface.

zeebo

Message on a future consciousness computer: "Down for nightly maintenance/dreaming".

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:27:07 PM

Shirley Manson.  :)

I think she's extremely hot.  just sayin.

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 11:30:46 PM
Shirley Manson.  :)

I think she's extremely hot.  just sayin.

indeed..its the red hair

Bradsmith313

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 26, 2015, 11:28:39 PM
I bought the version recovered from Argentina a few year's back, and still haven't watched it.
It's good . . . .

Zenman

How is it that Art is yet more lucid after lack of sleep, and I pretty much resemble an intoxicated zombie if I don't get my 8 hours?

AL5J

Quote from: Dr_Blue on August 26, 2015, 11:12:16 PM
Didn't Hawking warn that AI robots may be the death of us?

Was that your TimeTraveler msg he answered? If so, well done!!!

Juan Cena

Vienna, Australia?

Leo's Norryisms are escalating.

Robert

As long as we're talking sci-fi, the model apparently in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is of AI as such an emergent phenomenon.  It is stated that somewhere along the way to its expansion to a certain # of components, it "woke up" -- although it is implied that just this one operator, the narrator, noticed the transition.  Then when it suffered damage after its functions were distributed to various locations, it lost awareness.  But then it was rebuilt to beyond its pre-damage capcity, yet apparently did not regain consciousness, suggesting a path dependence of the process; the narrator suspects that the machine was comatose.

inuk2600

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:30:12 PM
It is, but look, we're going to need one hell of a computer for superintelligent AI. At this stage, we can't even look at a "quantum computer" and agree that it's actually a quantum computer. Yet we can have paralyzed people operate robotic arms through a brain/computer interface.

A big problem with enhancing intelligence is the brain is messy as hell. It will poduce lots of uninteded and hard to debug consequences. It will keep failing while AI will keep steaming forward.

trostol

great song..again another one that FNM did very well

Juan Cena

Commodores bumper music with a AI topic? How deliberate was that?

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:37:30 PM
great song..again another one that FNM did very well

I was thinking the exact same thing man!  wow.  I dig their version of Lady gaga's Poker Face too.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert on August 26, 2015, 11:36:48 PM
As long as we're talking sci-fi, the model apparently in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is of AI as such an emergent phenomenon.  It is stated that somewhere along the way to its expansion to a certain # of components, it "woke up" -- although it is implied that just this one operator, the narrator, noticed the transition.  ...

Great book.  There's a line where he says he didn't used to believe in such things, until he "met a computer with a sense of humor".

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: inuk2600 on August 26, 2015, 11:37:05 PM
A big problem with enhancing intelligence is the brain is messy as hell. It will poduce lots of uninteded and hard to debug consequences. It will keep failing while AI will keep steaming forward.

I'm not so sure. Definitely the brain is messy, but it's also really good at training itself to do things. Whereas AI will only get messier from here on out. Messy may well mean "conscious".