• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

School shooting Miami area 20180214

Started by Juan, February 14, 2018, 03:53:26 PM

MessengerOne

It seems to me that the same money that pays our teachers could also pay a trained security guard and a metal detector at the front door of our schools.I also realize the argument will be that we wont be able to fund it ,but it also seems to me our communities waste our tax money on nonsense that doesn't improve our lives at all.We can improve the situation without dismantling the second amendment .

albrecht

Heard Ole Dammegard on some random show saying Cruz photo reminded him of Tracy.

albrecht

Quote from: albrecht on March 07, 2018, 09:12:18 PM

Heard Ole Dammegard on some random show saying Cruz photo reminded him of Tracy.
Two SWAT officers responded to the Parkland rampage uninvited. They’ve been punished.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article203903054.html

SWAT officers from other jurisdiction who responded to scene punished? Ok, I get idea of quality communications, traffic concerns, etc but considering the local PDs were either cowards or even told to "stand down" and considering it is at a school you are going to punish police who actually wanted to help and stop it? Consider the "optics," at a minimum!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-reg-florida-school-shooting-standing-mute-20180308-story
Cruz is "standing mute," which effectively enters a "not guilty" plea, even though prior his lawyer, Finklestein, said they would plea guilty if the death penalty was taken off the table. 

albrecht

Quote from: albrecht on March 08, 2018, 05:17:19 PM
Two SWAT officers responded to the Parkland rampage uninvited. They’ve been punished.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article203903054.html

SWAT officers from other jurisdiction who responded to scene punished? Ok, I get idea of quality communications, traffic concerns, etc but considering the local PDs were either cowards or even told to "stand down" and considering it is at a school you are going to punish police who actually wanted to help and stop it? Consider the "optics," at a minimum!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-reg-florida-school-shooting-standing-mute-20180308-story
Cruz is "standing mute," which effectively enters a "not guilty" plea, even though prior his lawyer, Finklestein, said they would plea guilty if the death penalty was taken off the table.
Add another person who was well aware of Cruz's craziness and plans but apparently done nothing:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article204450699.html

Uncle Duke

http://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Interesting article out of Boston's Northeastern University, tends to put things into perspective.  Surprising coming out of a school and region known for liberal views.  Would really like to hear a competent, unbiased host interview the professor who did the study.  Guess that eliminates C2C as a possibility.

Gd5150

Add these to the list of “guns to ban on our way to canning the 2nd amendment”.

The silent but deadly 9 and 10 shooters.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 15, 2018, 08:25:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cc6LVoIEF8
What is funny is that many, including many in the GOA, JPFO, etc consider the NRA sell-outs to the anti-gunners. Strange-but-true.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: albrecht on March 15, 2018, 09:26:11 PM
What is funny is that many, including many in the GOA, JPFO, etc consider the NRA sell-outs to the anti-gunners. Strange-but-true.

I am one of those people and it's why i will never join the NRA, they suck.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on March 15, 2018, 09:28:10 PM

I am one of those people and it's why i will never join the NRA, they suck.

You won't join the NRA because that requires you giving them money you don't have.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 15, 2018, 10:07:35 PM
You won't join the NRA because that requires you giving them money you don't have.

why are you so angry mudsharks, art? is it because tyrone left you? is it because of your ham face? is it because people make fun of you at the drive thru window?

Up All Night

Although an 18 year old can Vote... They don't have the Wisdom to #MAGA !!!

albrecht

https://wsvn.com/news/local/authorities-brother-of-parkland-shooting-suspect-arrested-at-school/

"Deputies said Cruz “surpassed all locked doors and gates and proceeded to ride his skateboard through school grounds.” The incident was captured on security cameras on campus."

Up All Night

David Hogg’s Sister Complains Her School Now Feels Like A ‘Prison’

Parkland students returning to school complain: ‘Feels like a prison;’ ‘invasion of privacy’

https://thenationalsentinel.com/2018/04/03/parkland-students-returning-to-school-complain-feels-like-a-prison-invasion-of-privacy/

Security changes announced March 21, 2018 by the Superintendent Robert W. Runcie for the Broward County school district where the Feb. 14th Parkland Shooting occurred.

Dear Broward County Public Schools Families:

Across our community, our hearts remain with Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and all of those impacted by the February 14, 2018, tragedy.

Over the past several weeks, we have received many inquiries regarding the District’s efforts to fortify school campuses and enhance safety protocols. We want to assure you that the safety and security of our students and employees remain our highest priorities. In addition to the District’s ongoing efforts, the recent signing of Senate Bill 7026 (the School Safety Bill) into law, provides our District with additional resources to support this critical work. Below are details on safety and security measures Districtwide.

Safety and Security Measures â€" Now and Ongoing
• All safety protocols for routine school operations are being reinforced at all schools. This includes requiring students and staff to wear identification badges while on campus; locking classroom doors at all times; locking and securing exterior doors and gates throughout the day; being vigilant in monitoring the campus throughout the day; and conducting emergency preparedness and response training for faculty, staff and students on a regular basis.
• The District actively conducts code red training, which is the foundation of active-shooter training, throughout the school year at all schools. We are working with law enforcement agencies to evaluate the protocols and frequency of code red training and drills for all schools for the next school year.
• The District is in the process of upgrading real-time surveillance camera systems at all schools. The work will be completed by June 2018. This work is being funded through the District’s current capital budget funding sources.

Safety and Security Measures â€" To be Completed
• The District has expedited the completion of Single Point of Entry measures for campus visitors, which use fencing and door systems to limit access to one entrance. This work will be completed at all schools by the end of this calendar year or the first quarter of 2019 at the latest. This work is being funded through the District’s current capital budget funding sources.
• With the approval of recent legislation, the state will provide the District with approximately $8.5 million to place a minimum of one School Resource Officer in each school beginning in the 2018/19 school year.
• With the approval of recent legislation, the state will also provide the District with approximately $6 million to expand mental health services beginning in the 2018/19 school year.
• The District will develop a Districtwide Security Risk Assessment for all schools by August 2018 and compete for a share of a $98 million statewide allocation to fund, in whole or in part, the costs associated with improving the physical security of school buildings. The state anticipates awarding grant funds to approved school districts in the first quarter of 2019.
• The District will convene working groups and task forces to garner suggestions from citizens in our communities.

Keeping our students, staff and schools safe is the responsibility of everyone in our community. We encourage parents and families to reinforce with their children â€" if you see something, say something.

While we cannot change the heartbreaking and senseless act of violence at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, by working together, we can change the future. All students deserve safe schools. We are proud of our students’ determination to effect positive change in this country â€" and for the incredible support from the Broward community and across the country.

Thank you for your ongoing support during this difficult time, as we continue to recover from this tragedy.

Sincerely,
Robert W. Runcie
Superintendent, Broward County Public Schools

paladin1991

Quote from: Up All Night on April 05, 2018, 03:05:43 AM
David Hogg’s Sister Complains Her School Now Feels Like A ‘Prison’

Parkland students returning to school complain: ‘Feels like a prison;’ ‘invasion of privacy’

So they all go to Catholic school now?  At least they will be able to read and write when they 'get out.'

albrecht

"Coward of Broward" arrested....

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/News/2019/June/FDLE-Arrests-Scot-Peterson-for-child-neglect,-negl 

Not sure how this will pan out. Some case law already says police have no specific duty to protect a person. 444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981 (Warren v D.C.)  But maybe due to his official position and job detail to protect the general people in the school?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on June 04, 2019, 04:40:24 PM
"Coward of Broward" arrested....

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/News/2019/June/FDLE-Arrests-Scot-Peterson-for-child-neglect,-negl 

Not sure how this will pan out. Some case law already says police have no specific duty to protect a person. 444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981 (Warren v D.C.)  But maybe due to his official position and job detail to protect the general people in the school?

I saw this earlier today and must admit to being surprised.  I am curious what the perjury charge is about? 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 04, 2019, 05:59:42 PM
I saw this earlier today and must admit to being surprised.  I am curious what the perjury charge is about?
Yes, that is curious because according to the brief stuff I've read he had, wisely on his behalf*, refused to testify or give statements. He has talked to a few news outlets but that is not under oath or in some kind of official process- so even if he lied in those rare interviews I don't see perjury. Arguably also a "misperception of facts" can get a person out of a perjury even when under oath,

In general I give some deference to police, or anyone, involved in a chaotic situation like this but it would appear that he acted badly and could've lessened the carnage had he engaged, especially since, apparently, he advised other officers not to do so.  And his job specifically was to protect the school. He wasn't a bystander or even a local cop who happened upon the situation.

* many police are well aware of the danger or talking to any police, in a hearing, in court, etc.  Many ways that even a totally honest, innocent person can get into trouble.

ps: It is not a good time to have a name like Scot (or Scott) Peterson....