• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

WeinerInHand

Being out on the road, you will quickly discover that a balanced meal is key to maintaining good health.

WeinerInHand

R's Place in Morris, Illinois. Home of the Ethyl Burger.
3lbs. of meat. If you eat it, with the toppings on that plate, within an hour, it's free!

You also get your picture on the wall

Lilith

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 05:40:06 AM
3lbs. of meat. If you eat it, with the toppings on that plate, within an hour, it's free!

OMG!  That looks DELICIOUS!!!

Spookcat

You also get your picture on the wall

Did you make it??

WeinerInHand

Quote from: brig on December 01, 2018, 06:27:30 AM
OMG!  That looks DELICIOUS!!!

You would think that bread would be kinda gimmicky just to have something to serve the meat on but it was some of the best bread I've ever eaten!

WeinerInHand

Heavy rain on I-75 north out of Atlanta. 52F.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 07:00:26 AM
No! Three meals and I had to throw the rest away!
The fixins' they gamed ya with the damned fixins'!

:-\

WOTR

Does the beer come with it as a part of the deal?  If so, that seems like it is cheating with the carbonation...

WeinerInHand

Quote from: WOTR on December 01, 2018, 03:21:33 PM
Does the beer come with it as a part of the deal?  If so, that seems like it is cheating with the carbonation...

I didn't even think about accepting that challenge - much to the dismay of everyone around me!

pate

What kind of smokes are those by the Fries?  I almost want to say Pall Mall, but the pack doesn't look red enough...

WeinerInHand

Quote from: pate on December 01, 2018, 05:34:41 PM
What kind of smokes are those by the Fries?  I almost want to say Pall Mall, but the pack doesn't look red enough...

32 bucks a carton in Missouri!

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 05:42:50 PM
32 bucks a carton in Missouri!

Now we can get into the debate of how to pronounce them!

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2018, 05:45:34 PM
Now we can get into the debate of how to pronounce them!

My dad pronounced them as y'all, so I use that.
I've never heard it said the other way unless in a debate like this one!

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
My dad pronounced them as y'all, so I use that.
I've never heard it said the other way unless in a debate like this one!
Pell Mell per their own advertising and the way the posh Brits call the area (apparently related to it was originally a French name, or something?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCyPdEIdOA

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2018, 05:54:46 PM
Pell Mell per their own advertising and the way the posh Brits call the area (apparently related to it was originally a French name, or something?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCyPdEIdOA

My Dad served in the Pacific Theater and I think he picked them as his brand there.
After seeing the definition, I am guessing it was to describe them in playful banter.

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 05:58:33 PM
My Dad served in the Pacific Theater and I think he picked them as his brand there.
After seeing the definition, I am guessing it was to describe them in playful banter.

Interestingly you would appear to fit what wiki says about pronunciation of the product.
During the era of cigarette advertising on television and radio, the commonly accepted pronunciation of the brand was /ˌpɛlˈmɛl/.[9]  However, after the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banned cigarette advertising, the American pronunciation shifted to /ˌpælˈmæl/. Older smokers who heard the commercials often still use the older pronunciation, as do smokers from the United Kingdom â€" the cigarette and the street in London are pronounced the same.

pate

Yep, Missouri has one of the cheapest cigarette taxes in the country...

I smoke a Pall Mall on occasion, I also like Lucky Strikes (IT'S TOASTED!), but my goto brand is American Spirit Full Flavors.  I think I pay ~$60 a carton at Costco for them.  Which pisses me off, I started smoking them in Santa Fe in the early nineties before RJR bought them out, at that time Camels were about $2.00/pack and the Spirits were $1.75.  Some Indians (feather not dot) told me about them, and where I could pick them up.  That was my brand while I was in New Mexico, only came in soft pack and only in full flavor.  They showed up in Kansas City sometime in the late 90s, at a significantly higher price and all the hipster douches smoke them now.

Fuck you RJR!  Bring back the cool non-hippy trading cards.  I have a bunch of those somewhere...

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2018, 06:04:01 PM
Interestingly you would appear to fit what wiki says about pronunciation of the product.
During the era of cigarette advertising on television and radio, the commonly accepted pronunciation of the brand was /ˌpɛlˈmɛl/.[9]  However, after the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banned cigarette advertising, the American pronunciation shifted to /ˌpælˈmæl/. Older smokers who heard the commercials often still use the older pronunciation, as do smokers from the United Kingdom â€" the cigarette and the street in London are pronounced the same.

I deliver to a place around Boston called Peabody.
I pronounced it Pee Body.
A guy kidded me and demanded that I say Peh-buh-dee several times until I got it right! lol

WeinerInHand

Quote from: pate on December 01, 2018, 06:07:21 PM
Yep, Missouri has one of the cheapest cigarette taxes in the country...

I smoke a Pall Mall on occasion, I also like Lucky Strikes (IT'S TOASTED!), but my goto brand is American Spirit Full Flavors.  I think I pay ~$60 a carton at Costco for them.  Which pisses me off, I started smoking them in Santa Fe in the early nineties before RJR bought them out, at that time Camels were about $2.00/pack and the Spirits were $1.75.  Some Indians (feather not dot) told me about them, and where I could pick them up.  That was my brand while I was in New Mexico, only came in soft pack and only in full flavor.  They showed up in Kansas City sometime in the late 90s, at a significantly higher price and all the hipster douches smoke them now.

Fuck you RJR!  Bring back the cool non-hippy trading cards.  I have a bunch of those somewhere...

I'll buy Camel Wide Lights every once in awhile. Also, Marlboro Edge are a damn fine smoke!
You can buy American Spirit at most stores in Ohio that have a large selection.

albrecht

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 06:12:46 PM
I deliver to a place around Boston called Peabody.
I pronounced it Pee Body.
A guy kidded me and demanded that I say Peh-buh-dee several times until I got it right! lol
Oh yeah, regional pronunciations are a sure-fire way to identify a non-local and sometimes they defy explanation.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2018, 06:20:42 PM
Oh yeah, regional pronunciations are a sure-fire way to identify a non-local and sometimes they defy explanation.

Indeed!

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 30, 2018, 11:27:38 PM
Don't judge me!!!

Maybe they'll "Murphy Brown" her old sitcom. In the new version, they have to close shop due to Trump's trade war with China.  ;)

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 01, 2018, 06:34:47 PM
Maybe they'll "Murphy Brown" her old sitcom. In the new version, they have to close shop due to Trump's trade war with China.  ;)

Well, they'll have some digging to do because she died seven or eight years ago! 🤣

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 06:38:25 PM
Well, they'll have some digging to do because she died seven or eight years ago! 🤣

She had an ensemble with her, though. Her character committed suicide by Vicodin overdose when Trump won the election.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 01, 2018, 07:06:32 PM
She had an ensemble with her, though. Her character committed suicide by Vicodin overdose when Trump won the election.

Hahaha - clever!

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 01, 2018, 07:07:57 PM
Hahaha - clever!

The Clintons' good friends produced both that show and "Evening Shade". You just know that they would pull a "Roseanne" of some kind.