• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Movies that looked great but wound up being terrible

Started by bateman, March 07, 2017, 05:02:05 PM

Jackstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbqNb2PFKKA

Quote from: fagI wanna be the Hulk!

Quote from: another fagNo, I wanna be The Hulk! Also, you're supposed to capitalize the participle to a proper name!

Quote from: yuge fagBoys, boys, relax... I Know how we can all be (t)he HulK, and still make a (((K)))illing!

Fags.

aldousburbank

That stupid crap Adaptation with slug Nicolass Cage. Started out strong but quickly turned to two craps as dude limply portrays identical twin douches. Co-starring people I refuse to remember. NC's best acting was in WTC when he barely portrayed a face covered in dust and stuck in rubble. I don't mean to sound resentful or hatey but I am.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on March 07, 2017, 08:45:43 PM
Heads up ... The new movie "Alien: Covenant" is actually "Prometheus 2".  :-\
Crap.  I don't believe anything related to the franchise will ever top the first Alien.  Another "one and only."

Taaroa

Quote from: ItsOver on March 09, 2017, 12:48:53 PM
Love this movie of his.
What about this? Pretty great all around except for the scenes with the kid.

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 09, 2017, 12:12:38 PM
I don't mean to sound resentful or hatey but I am.

Have you tried black cumin seed oil? Asking for a friend with some product to move.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on March 09, 2017, 12:50:38 PM
Crap.  I don't believe anything related to the franchise will ever top the first Alien.  Another "one and only."

100% agree. Even Aliens was shit compared to the original. Also, The Hunger is the shit! Great movie!

aldousburbank

Quote from: Jackstar ℗ on March 09, 2017, 05:21:24 PM
Have you tried black cumin seed oil? Asking for a friend with some product to move.

Mine only cumin white.

Dr. MD MD

That stupid crap Adaptation with slug Nicolass Cage. Started out strong but quickly turned to two craps as dude limply portrays identical twin douches. Co-starring people I refuse to remember. NC's best acting was in WTC when he barely portrayed a face covered in dust and stuck in rubble. I don't mean to sound resentful or hatey but I am.

No! Watch it again. Anything written by Charlie Kaufman is great! I love that movie!  :D

zeebo

That stupid crap Adaptation with slug Nicolass Cage. Started out strong but quickly turned to two craps as dude limply portrays identical twin douches. ...

Thank you for saying this, and providing me safe space here to agree with you.  That movie is one of those critics' darlings art-house faves, but I just found it annoying and tedious.  However I believe the same screenwriter also wrote both Being J. Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which I did like.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 09, 2017, 05:59:10 PM
Thank you for saying this, and providing me safe space here to agree with you.  That movie is one of those critics' darlings art-house faves, but I just found it annoying and tedious. 
:'(
Quote from: zeebo on March 09, 2017, 05:59:10 PM
However I believe the same screenwriter also wrote both Being J. Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which I did like.
:)

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 09, 2017, 05:56:52 PM
No! Watch it again. Anything written by Charlie Kaufman is great! I love that movie!  :D

I can not violate my vow to never watch another Nicolas Cage movie.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on March 09, 2017, 06:11:33 PM
I can not violate my vow to never watch another Nicolas Cage movie.

Fair enough...even if that is one of his best roles since his work in lower budget movies in the 80s.  ;)

bateman

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 09, 2017, 06:16:01 PM
Fair enough...even if that is one of his best roles since his work in lower budget movies in the 80s.  ;)

Vampire's Kiss is an American classic.  ;D

https://youtu.be/kfcJUl39iiA

Life of Pi

WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!

I was on board, so to speak, until the Island of Misfit Meerkats, and the subsequent revelation that there was no tiger, and that the hyena was really Gerard Depardieu. Although the last one doesn't strain credulity too much.

Kolchak

Quote from: zeebo on March 07, 2017, 08:45:43 PM
Heads up ... The new movie "Alien: Covenant" is actually "Prometheus 2".  :-\

Another heads up: Prometheus was MAGNITUDES better than Alien Covenant.

Quote from: Taaroa on March 09, 2017, 11:56:24 PM
So is the Wickerman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

No offense but that version of The Wicker Man sucked.  Watch the original with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee.  That one is a classic.

ItsOver

Quote from: Kolchak on May 20, 2017, 03:48:41 PM
Ugh.  Most of the critics seem to like it so indeed it must be crap.

Taaroa

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2017, 04:01:31 PM
No offense but that version of The Wicker Man sucked.  Watch the original with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee.  That one is a classic.

I don't take offence, but the remake is a classic bad film and is only known for how terrible it is. Sort of like The Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo_5ZKcYROw

ItsOver

Quote from: Kolchak on May 20, 2017, 03:48:41 PM
Did you actually see Alien Covenant?  Anyone, yet?  FX was showing "Prometheus" last night.  Fortunately, a thunderstorm interrupted the satellite signal so I didn't endure much of it.

whoozit

Quote from: ItsOver on May 21, 2017, 06:08:36 AM
Did you actually see Alien Covenant?  Anyone, yet?  FX was showing "Prometheus" last night.  Fortunately, a thunderstorm interrupted the satellite signal so I didn't endure much of it.
I saw it last night.  It was OK, but I found it disappointing overall.

ItsOver

Quote from: whoozit on May 21, 2017, 06:10:04 AM
I saw it last night.  It was OK, but I found it disappointing overall.
Thanks!  I fully expect disappointment, as well.  Did "wham, bam" violence and action override most of anything else, such as plot or character development?  I'll most likely hold off on watching until it's on DVD or the cut-rate theaters.   

Epaphroditus

I have no interest in movies that blame humanity for being human , for beinfg as militant atheist that Ridley Scott claims to be he sure resembles the old testament bastard .

ItsOver

Quote from: Epaphroditus on May 21, 2017, 06:34:01 AM
I have no interest in movies that blame humanity for being human , for beinfg as militant atheist that Ridley Scott claims to be he sure resembles the old testament bastard .
Speaking of old testament bastards, why has Letterman decided to go with the Dead Seas Scrolls-look?

whoozit

Quote from: ItsOver on May 21, 2017, 06:15:25 AM
Thanks!  I fully expect disappointment, as well.  Did "wham, bam" violence and action override most of anything else, such as plot or character development?  I'll most likely hold off on watching until it's on DVD or the cut-rate theaters.
No.  There was more action than Prometheus, but a lot of it was cheesy cartoonish action that made me feel like I was watching a comic book movie.  I think it's a mistake to make a movie to try to flesh out unanswered mysteries from prior movies.  Apparently most people have better imaginations than script writers.   That's about all I'll say here because I don't want to spoil it for people that haven't seen it yet.

ItsOver

Quote from: whoozit on May 21, 2017, 08:19:10 AM
No.  There was more action than Prometheus, but a lot of it was cheesy cartoonish action that made me feel like I was watching a comic book movie.  I think it's a mistake to make a movie to try to flesh out unanswered mysteries from prior movies.  Apparently most people have better imaginations than script writers.   That's about all I'll say here because I don't want to spoil it for people that haven't seen it yet.
Sounds like it would make my trash list.  Most of today's Hollywood seems to rely upon group-think teams of writers.  I'd much rather have something from a creative, eccentric mind that isn't trying to cater to the mainstream.  RS isn't what he used to be, either.  If he is, he sure hasn't been showing it.