• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Albums You Love Front To Back

Started by ponyboysunset, October 04, 2017, 04:18:59 PM

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 04, 2017, 10:04:16 PM
Talk about a band that is underrated.  It is a crime that they are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Excellent choice.  My pick from them is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ja4u8_RGQ

Man, you've got that right!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 04, 2017, 10:07:18 PM
He had that one too and, of course, Nights.

Nights In White Satin stands as their greatest recording. Talk about haunting.  I have a neat story that I'll relay.  It is from the books that The Conjuring is based on.  The kids in the family loved to play that song whenever it was on the radio.  This was around the time it was a hit for the second time in '72 and'73.  Turns out the ghosts loved it too.  They came home from eating out one night to hear Nights In White Satin playing on the radio.  The thing is the radio was not plugged in yet the music still came out of it.  I don't think I'd be quite so scared after that sort of thing if I had lived in that house.  Great story no matter how you slice it.

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 04, 2017, 10:13:56 PM
Nights In White Satin stands as their greatest recording. Talk about haunting.  I have a neat story that I'll relay.  It is from the books that The Conjuring is based on.  The kids in the family loved to play that song whenever it was on the radio.  This was around the time it was a hit for the second time in '72 and'73.  Turns out the ghosts loved it too.  They came home from eating out one night to hear Nights In White Satin playing on the radio.  The thing is the radio was not plugged in yet the music still came out of it.  I don't think I'd be quite so scared after that sort of thing if I had lived in that house.  Great story no matter how you slice it.

Yikes! :o  Well, at least the ghosts had good taste. ;)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 04, 2017, 09:59:57 PM
The best thing Macca has done in the last 18 years is Run Devil Run.  It is basically a covers album but it is great with David Gilmour, Mick Green, and Ian Paice as the sidemen.  I've been pretty disappointed with most of Macca's music since.  He's trying too hard to be hip and stay relevant.

Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs..   :D

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 04, 2017, 10:18:37 PM
Yikes! :o  Well, at least the ghosts had good taste. ;)

That was not the only time the song would come out of the radio at odd times. After all the crap they went through with the really dark stuff, recognizing the love the spirits had for that song would make me feel a bit better.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2017, 10:24:54 PM
So many BOC albums are great the whole way through. As are other concept albums:

Do you mean Blue Oyster Cult?

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 04, 2017, 10:27:19 PM
https://youtu.be/u4gKPoPkac0
Ha! Was going to post Autobahn in some techno thread someone started! An interesting band and the whole scene of that Kraut rock and then how it developed into disco, dance, and weird horror-movie scenes. Germans and Euros in general! A weird bunch!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2017, 10:32:34 PM
Yep, great stuff.

I think this is still my all time favorite of their's but mostly just for side one. Though I enjoy their entire catalogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-EDsPGnaY

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 04, 2017, 10:37:38 PM
I think this is still my all time favorite of their's but mostly just for side one. Though I enjoy their entire catalogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-EDsPGnaY
Ha! When I was down in Htown last week helping some family "remediate" and tear shit out after feet of water for weeks after the flood I got sick of 'The Eagle FM' repeating songs and went to the youtubes and played that album onto my bluetooth speaker and knocked shit out. BOC is bad ass and one of the better bands for full album listening. Back in the day the FM rock local used to play full albums at night. A good thing that should be done again. Classical, rock, opera, etc should be played in way it was composed and intended.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 04, 2017, 10:39:25 PM
And, of course . . . . ;D

https://youtu.be/jugd9S4oBvQ

Maybe only other DJs would get this but Stairway To Heaven such a funny, potentially problematic song at a dance. Why? Well, it starts out as a slow dance ballad for about the first 5 and half minutes and then there's a transition and then it's a fast rocking song for the last 2 minutes. Everything's great for those first 5 and half but when that transition hits no one knows what the fuck to do and it's such mish mash of people trying different things that sometimes I actually had to turn my back on the audience so I wouldn't appear to be laughing at them. Good times!  ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 04, 2017, 10:47:08 PM
Maybe only other DJs would get this but Stairway To Heaven such a funny, potentially problematic song at a dance. Why? Well, it starts out as a slow dance ballad for about the first 5 and half minutes and then there's a transition and then it's a fast rocking song for the last 2 minutes. Everything's great for those first 5 and half but when that transition hits no one knows what the fuck to do and it's such mish mash of people trying different things that sometimes I actually had to turn my back on the audience so I wouldn't appear to be laughing at them. Good times!  ;D

It's not really a dance song.  Is it? ;D

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 04, 2017, 10:51:49 PM

That probably didn't stop bands from trying to cover it at dances. lol.  Before my time.  I was in school in the early 80's when new wave was the thing.

I'm going to go with Houses of the Holy as my record though IV is probably the best.  I also oddly enough like In Through The Out Door. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 04, 2017, 10:51:49 PM

No but it almost always gets requested. Cruel irony!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 04, 2017, 10:55:06 PM
Before my time.  I was in school in the early 80's when new wave was the thing.

No it's not. I'm sure you've been at lots of dances and weddings where it was played.  :D

I only stopped DJing about a decade ago and it was still getting request a lot up till then. It probably still does.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 04, 2017, 10:55:06 PM
That probably didn't stop bands from trying to cover it at dances. lol.  Before my time.  I was in school in the early 80's when new wave was the thing.

I'm going to go with Houses of the Holy as my record though IV is probably the best.  I also oddly enough like In Through The Out Door.

Like The Beatles, they never released a bad album.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 04, 2017, 11:02:15 PM
Like The Beatles, they never released a bad album.

I have a hard time with Presence.  I want to like it but the melodies just aren't there for me. I lose interest after half the album. I'll give it another try sometime soon.  I do agree with you when it comes to the rest of their work.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 04, 2017, 11:01:01 PM
No it's not. I'm sure you've been at lots of dances and weddings where it was played.  :D

I only stopped DJing about a decade ago and it was still getting request a lot up till then. It probably still does.

I'm talking about high school dances and dance clubs.  High school dances usually had cheesy songs like Endless Love, Lady(K. Rogers) and that sort of thing.  Clubs played new wave with heavy emphasis on what would later be called electronica.

MV/Liberace!

Pink Floyd - Animals

Led Zeppelin III

GravitySucks

Quote from: mv on October 04, 2017, 11:13:04 PM
Pink Floyd - Animals

Led Zeppelin III

Any that were recorded while you were alive?