• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

ItsOver

Sure, C2C with Jorch sucks beeyond beeleef and Art's still waiting it out before he returns or quits again, but there is some good news for all of us misfit geeks, nerds, and Jorch haters.  MST3K is back on the airwaves with Retro TV and the MST3K crew is still in action with RiffTrax.  A few of us (Camazotz, Robert G's Ghost) were discussing  MST3K returning on the movies thread so I thought I'd open a thread dedicated to all things MST3K and related.  Kind of a nice break from discussing the infinite number of ways Jorch sucks.

I caught the old MST3K crew's riff of "Sharknado" last Thursday.  It was pretty damn hilarious and brought back good memories of watching MST3K on Saturdays.  I was blissfully ignorant of Rifftrax and MST3K folks doing live riff broadcasts for cinemas across the country until about a week ago.  The first surprise on Thursday night was how many fellow Misties showed-up to take in the riffing of "Sharknado."  It was packed.  A good-natured, fun-loving crowd, though, which made the event even more enjoyable.  The broadcast was out of a local theater in Minneapolis (surprise! ;)  ) and started with a short devoted to the wonders of springs.  Yes, regular, good 'ol springs.  Appropriately, it was entitled "Springs."  I think even Jorch might get it.  Anywho, it was beyond hilarious and the crowd ate it up.  A good warm-up for the disaster known as "Sharknado." 

The riffing of "Sharknado" was as good as I remembered for about any MST3K episode and the crowd was laughing for virtually the entire session of "torture."  As the Rifftrax promo says "making bad movies good or great or something like that.  It's been awhile since I've seen a movie crowd having such a good time.  Kind of like a Rocky Horror showing without all the "look-at-me!" screwballs and acting-out shenanigans.  Anyway, I highly recommend it.  There's going to be a re-showing this Tuesday night at select theaters.  Also, the MST3K guys will be doing their thing with the Matthew Broderick "Godzilla" in August.  They could no doubt do a great job just riffing Broderick even without the big lizard.

To close things out, Retro TV will be showing the MST3K episode "The Corpse Vanishes" tonight, 8pm EST.  I hope anybody interested has success tuning in to a nearby Retro station, if you're doing OTA TV.  Yes, it's almost movie sign!  Oh, and Jorch sucks.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM
Sure, C2C with Jorch sucks beeyond beeleef and Art's still waiting it out before he returns or quits again, but there is some good news for all of us misfit geeks, nerds, and Jorch haters.  MST3K is back on the airwaves with Retro TV and the MST3K crew is still in action with RiffTrax.  A few of us (Camazotz, Robert G's Ghost) were discussing  MST3K returning on the movies thread so I thought I'd open a thread dedicated to all things MST3K and related.  Kind of a nice break from discussing the infinite number of ways Jorch sucks.

I caught the old MST3K crew's riff of "Sharknado" last Thursday.  It was pretty damn hilarious and brought back good memories of watching MST3K on Saturdays.  I was blissfully ignorant of Rifftrax and MST3K folks doing live riff broadcasts for cinemas across the country until about a week ago.  The first surprise on Thursday night was how many fellow Misties showed-up to take in the riffing of "Sharknado."  It was packed.  A good-natured, fun-loving crowd, though, which made the event even more enjoyable.  The broadcast was out of a local theater in Minneapolis (surprise! ;)  ) and started with a short devoted to the wonders of springs.  Yes, regular, good 'ol springs.  Appropriately, it was entitled "Springs."  I think even Jorch might get it.  Anywho, it was beyond hilarious and the crowd ate it up.  A good warm-up for the disaster known as "Sharknado." 

The riffing of "Sharknado" was as good as I remembered for about any MST3K episode and the crowd was laughing for virtually the entire session of "torture."  As the Rifftrax promo says "making bad movies good or great or something like that.  It's been awhile since I've seen a movie crowd having such a good time.  Kind of like a Rocky Horror showing without all the "look-at-me!" screwballs and acting-out shenanigans.  Anyway, I highly recommend it.  There's going to be a re-showing this Tuesday night at select theaters.  Also, the MST3K guys will be doing their thing with the Matthew Broderick "Godzilla" in August.  They could no doubt do a great job just riffing Broderick even without the big lizard.

To close things out, Retro TV will be showing the MST3K episode "The Corpse Vanishes" tonight, 8pm EST.  I hope anybody interested has success tuning in to a nearby Retro station, if you're doing OTA TV.  Yes, it's almost movie sign!  Oh, and Jorch sucks.

Excellent idea!  The theater broadcasts sound like a blast.  I'm going to have to see if they do that anywhere in my neck of the woods.  Do you know what chain owns the theater where you saw it?  Thanks!

ItsOver

Here you go, RGG.

http://www.fathomevents.com

Hopefully, you can find a nearby theater.  The one I was at was a Cinemark The tickets aren't cheap at around $12, but it was the best 12 bucks I've spent recently.  If you're a MST3K fan and want several hours of laughing, I highly recommend it.  No endless movie promos, coming attractions or Carnivora commercials to put up with either, other than the next RiffTrax showing.  Good times, good times!

As I mentioned, you can still catch "Sharknado" next week and "Godzilla" is next month.  Looking at the RiffTrax site, it looks like they only do several shows a year, so catch them while you can.  Let hilarity ensue!

coaster

I'm a huge fan of MST3K and Rifftrax. The last one I saw from Rifftrax was "Guy From Harlem" It was hilarious.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 12, 2014, 12:32:08 PM
Here you go, RGG.

http://www.fathomevents.com

Hopefully, you can find a nearby theater.  The one I was at was a Cinemark The tickets aren't cheap at around $12, but it was the best 12 bucks I've spent recently.  If you're a MST3K fan and want several hours of laughing, I highly recommend it.  No endless movie promos, coming attractions or Carnivora commercials to put up with either, other than the next RiffTrax showing.  Good times, good times!

As I mentioned, you can still catch "Sharknado" next week and "Godzilla" is next month.  Looking at the RiffTrax site, it looks like they only do several shows a year, so catch them while you can.  Let hilarity ensue!

Thanks, IO!  Looks like there is a local showing, and the theater is just five minutes from my house.  We have movie sign!

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 12, 2014, 12:50:21 PM
Thanks, IO!  Looks like there is a local showing, and the theater is just five minutes from my house.  We have movie sign!
You're welcome, RGG.  Have a great time!  I'm still chuckling and the "Springs" short was great, too.  Just like any MST3K riffing of some the oldie shorts.  I still remember them doing the car salesman training short. :))

I wish I'd known about RiffTrax's showings at theaters earlier, Coaster.  I'm glad I'm in on it now.  Next month, it'll be time to laugh at a big lizard and the boy it chased. :)

I don't want anything to do with any wiseacre guys and robots taking advantage of innocent movies or anything like that there you're talkin' about. And Matthew Broderick is just fine by me and my liking and everything he has to put up with from the little wifey there and considering his relationship with Godzilla and all whoever else is affected. And so "no, thank you" to your little get together in August to put down a fine Jurassic Park type film just so that you may feel elevated and such like that.

Good day, sir!

I said, Good day!

[attachimg=1]

coaster

Quote from: ItsOver on July 12, 2014, 01:02:46 PM
You're welcome, RGG.  Have a great time!  I'm still chuckling and the "Springs" short was great, too.  Just like any MST3K riffing of some the oldie shorts.  I still remember them doing the car salesman training short. :))

I wish I'd known about RiffTrax's showings at theaters earlier, Coaster.  I'm glad I'm in on it now.  Next month, it'll be time to laugh at a big lizard and the boy it chased. :)
"Springs" was one of their best shorts.

Attempts to tune in to Retro TV's OTA signal remain unsuccessful; but I have Corpse on DVD and will watch at appropriate time tonight so as to be present in the virtual communion aboard the SOL.  But please recap any interesting/relevant commercials shown during Corpse that are tied to MST3K or Riff Trax.

Perhaps Shout! Factory will purchase some commercial time eventually.

Note to the curious:

Retro TV's affiliate listing/OTA broadcast areas/channels and schedules can be found here:

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates--schedules.html

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 12, 2014, 01:11:18 PM
I don't want anything to do with any wise acre guys and robots taking advantage of innocent movies or anything like that there you're speakin' 'bout. And Matthew Broderick is just fine by me and my liking and everything he has to put up with from the little wifey there and considering his relationship with Godzilla and all whoever else is affected. And so "no thank you" to your little get together in August to put down a fine Jurassic Park type film just so that you may feel elevated and such like that.

Good day, sir!

I said, Good day!

[attachimg=1]
Sarah?  Sarah Jessica?  Is that you?  It's hard to tell the difference between you and your no talent hubby.  Unless I see you in person and then I know he's "The Pretty One." Is it really true you'd never let a lizard come between you and your true love?  Hey, I know you're a really cheap date, anyway.  I've seen your photo hanging in a chili parlor.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the chili that turned my stomach. ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 12, 2014, 01:29:33 PM
Attempts to tune in to Retro TV's OTA signal remain unsuccessful; but I have Corpse on DVD and will watch at appropriate time tonight so as to be present in the virtual communion aboard the SOL.  But please recap any interesting/relevant commercials shown during Corpse that are tied to MST3K or Riff Trax.

Perhaps Shout! Factory will purchase some commercial time eventually.

Note to the curious:

Retro TV's affiliate listing/OTA broadcast areas/channels and schedules can be found here:

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates--schedules.html
Sorry to hear no joy with the Retro. I put my tin foil cap on my rabbit ears today and verified I can still get Retro so I'm good for launch tonight to the SOL. 

I'll try to do a recap, especially if there's anything noteworthy not contained in just any 'ol Corpse or similar type roadkill presentation.  Damn, where's Valdez when you need him? ;)

I just got Sarah Jessica purged from my mind.  I think I'm ready for some Hamdingers.

jazmunda

I would pay good money to hear MST3K do their thing to an episode of C2CAM with George Noory.

saucerlike

I can only imagine the mst3k crew doing c2c.  It would rule so hard you couldn't even fathom it.  I'm gonna have to check if those flicks are being shown somewhere near me in PA.  I couldn't forget seeing space mutiny & the final sacrifice for the 1st time, I laughed til it hurt.  There's still a ton of originals I need to watch on Netflix. 

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on July 12, 2014, 04:07:31 PM
I would pay good money to hear MST3K do their thing to an episode of C2CAM with George Noory.
Yes, this has come up before, Jaz.  What could be better than an MST3K proper treatment of Jorch.

The hurdle would be getting PremRat's agreement.  Apparently, RiffTrax has been doing the Kickstarter deal to get enought money for the licensing agreement for doing things like "Godzilla," which was over $100k.  If the suits at PremRat had any damn sense at all, they'd recognize the gold mine they're setting on with C2C with Jorch and work some deal with RiffTrax for working over Jorch.  I'm sure Jorch would shit a brick but think of the all-mightly dollar, PremRat!

Quote from: saucerlike on July 12, 2014, 04:42:30 PM
I can only imagine the mst3k crew doing c2c.  It would rule so hard you couldn't even fathom it.  I'm gonna have to check if those flicks are being shown somewhere near me in PA.  I couldn't forget seeing space mutiny & the final sacrifice for the 1st time, I laughed til it hurt.  There's still a ton of originals I need to watch on Netflix.

Save your money.  They put most, if not all, of their eps on YouTube in the not too distant past.

Quote from: jazmunda on July 12, 2014, 04:07:31 PM

I would pay better money to hear them do Caravan to Midnight.  That would be cruel sport indeed.

[attachimg=1]

"Help me...Spock!"

ItsOver

Ah, yes.  It's so good to see those numbered SOL doors doing their thing once again on the tube. I wasn't aware tonight's episode was a Bela Lugosi effort.  Geesh, and to think, "Plan 9" was yet to come.

No RiffTrax commercials or anything unexpected tonight, beyond the usual "hey, we know you're a whacko or almost senior citizen" commercials tonight.  Joel started out with the good 'ol invention exchange of a "chiro-gyro," which was somewhat amusing.  I forgot what the Mad's had to offer.

It's still the "Pre-Real-Tom Servo," so a lot is still missing there.  Highlights you ask?  I'd say it was "all that, for just a little maple syrup" or maybe "I've been up all night with dead people!" or maybe "I find my coffin more comfortable than a bed."

Joel was his usual form, especially as he stood to clean all the suits on-screen with a big scrub brush.  Joel, you big knucklehead, you. .

It was all good.

Might I propose that the haunting Torgo theme be used to introduce Simple George from now on?

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2014, 09:14:57 PM
Might I propose that the haunting Torgo theme be used to introduce Simple George from now on?

reported (to The Master)

I appreciate the commercials recap, I O.  Was wondering if they would advertise  Sharknado or the like. I believe Retro TV is in for a pleasant surprise when they start crunching the numbers/ratings. I am predicting the acquisition of more MST3K episodes and an increasing number of affiliates.

It doesn't matter if you have them on DVD or can watch them on YouTube.  Viewing them on the "original" tube is pure, ritualistic magic. I hope Retro TV figures this out and the quality of commercials will greatly improve, both in relevancy and quality, as demand for those slots increase.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 12, 2014, 09:14:57 PM

I will second that, and further propose that if anyone with Photoshop skills would be kind enough to create a Jorchgo (Jorgo?) the favor would be greatly appreciated and result in much happiness.

Caravan to Mitchell

[attachimg=1]

nextgen.fm

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 12, 2014, 08:28:30 PM
I would pay better money to hear them do Caravan to Midnight.  That would be cruel sport indeed.

[attachimg=1]

"Help me...Spock!"
omg he does look like spock

ItsOver

Quote from: missing transmission on July 13, 2014, 06:53:56 AM
Caravan to Mitchell

[attachimg=1]
Ha, ha, Mitchell!  Can Wells belch at will and substitute multiple 6-packs for "proper tea?"

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 12, 2014, 09:35:20 PM
I will second that, and further propose that if anyone with Photoshop skills would be kind enough to create a Jorchgo (Jorgo?) the favor would be greatly appreciated and result in much happiness.

Of course!  Jorgo, The Ultimate Creeper!  This image will, as a minimum, come to mind one Thursday night of the month, when poor LMH is subject to.... Jorgo, The Ultimate Creeper!  "Lady in Red...."

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: ItsOver on July 13, 2014, 02:47:10 PM
Of course!  Jorgo, The Ultimate Creeper!  This image will, as a minimum, come to mind one Thursday night of the month, when poor LMH is subject to.... Jorgo, The Ultimate Creeper!  "Lady in Red...."

[attachimg=1]

LMAO!  Perfect!

PerfectTommy

Quote from: missing transmission on July 13, 2014, 06:53:56 AM
Caravan to Mitchell

[attachimg=1]

How about Final Caravan?

"The last thing a proper tea sees"

Uncle Duke

I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the guys riffing "shorts" more so than movies.  Most were 1950s efforts that were so corny as to make even "Leave It to Beaver" seem edgy.  My favorite was one that explained why it wasn't a good idea to use gasoline as a cleaning solvent.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 14, 2014, 08:50:58 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the guys riffing "shorts" more so than movies.  Most were 1950s efforts that were so corny as to make even "Leave It to Beaver" seem edgy.

I always enjoyed them, too.  It was a brilliant idea to include them.

QuoteMy favorite was one that explained why it wasn't a good idea to use gasoline as a cleaning solvent.

What? You mean it isn't???

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 14, 2014, 08:50:58 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the guys riffing "shorts" more so than movies.  Most were 1950s efforts that were so corny as to make even "Leave It to Beaver" seem edgy.  My favorite was one that explained why it wasn't a good idea to use gasoline as a cleaning solvent.
Ha, yes.  I loved most of shorts.