• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2015, 09:10:02 PM
I'll be taking you word for it Paper*Boy. ;)

The First Half of yesterday's game, with the starters playing against an NFL starting defense, it was worse than imagined.  And all I saw of it were the highlights and stats

starrmtn001

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 30, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
The First Half of yesterday's game, with the starters playing against an NFL starting defense, it was worse than imagined.  And all I saw of it were the highlights and stats
I don't watch football, at least by myself.  I'm depending on you guys to keep me abreast of the ups and downs, the ins and outs. ;)

gabrielle

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2015, 09:20:35 PM
I don't watch football, at least by myself.  I'm depending on you guys to keep me abreast of the ups and downs, the ins and outs. ;)

And Gals.....I presume!   Star....football is an amazing sport...the strategies are very interesting....kind of like chess.

eddie dean

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2015, 04:41:42 PM
That was quite fun Eddie.  I still don't know samsquanch about football, but I'm sure you and all of the football people here will "tutor" me in Saturday night chat. ;D

Quote from: Ms. C on August 30, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
Same here, thanks Eddie and Curtis.

My pleasure, thanks for supporting the show!! :)
We will do our best to get you up to speed about football & the pick-em pool before the season starts Sept 10th.
When the regular seasons starts, we will go through our pool picks one by one on the air and talk about each matchup.
If anyone has a question about any of this,  let us know or better yet, give us a call on the show. We'd be happy to help.

eddie dean

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 30, 2015, 09:15:48 PM

I missed that game as well. The NFL Network is replaying it today at 9pm PT & tomorrow at 1pm PT.  I Look forward to see how Manning adjusts to Gary Kubiak's system.

It didn't help that SF was playing against the revamped Denver defence run by Wade Phillips :)   It's only going to get worse for SF. playing 6 games against the NFC West & the stout defence in that division.
It sucks to see the 49'ers, a team who had a bright future & almost won the super bowl 2 years ago, become completely irrelevant in the NFC West.

starrmtn001

Quote from: gabrielle on August 31, 2015, 04:32:50 PM
And Gals.....I presume!   Star....football is an amazing sport...the strategies are very interesting....kind of like chess.
Oh, I like chess. ;D

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2015, 09:20:35 PM

Football is great for TV, with the close-ups and instant replay

I would suggest people interested but new to the game go out and see a game or two.  On TV the cameras mostly follow the ball so we don't get to see the defense much - how they set up, how they react to the offense, what they do to try to disrupt the offense, etc - and we don't see a lot of what the rest of the offense is doing - the blocking, the routes the receivers run, etc, same goes for special team plays - punt and kick coverage and how they set up the returns

College football can be especially entertaining, the fans more enthusiastic, and the tickets are cheaper (depending on which team are in your local area).  Even high school football is ok, but it's better if you have some tie to the team

Quote from: eddie dean on August 31, 2015, 05:53:56 PM
... It sucks to see the 49'ers, a team who had a bright future & almost won the super bowl 2 years ago, become completely irrelevant in the NFC West.

The 49ers have lost over half their 2014 starters to free agency, retirements, and being released for domestic violence.  That level of turnover has to be unprecedented in the NFL. 

I put this together for myself the other day - it's how the team has done year by year since Eddie D lost the team to his sister Denise York as part of a 2000 family legal settlement:

Eddie had been owner from 1977, and during those years the 49ers won 5 Super Bowls.

The 49ers records from 2000 to date under the York regime:

2000 6-10
2001 12-4 (0-1 in playoffs)
2002 10-6 (1-1)
2003 7-9
2003 2-14
2005 4-12
2006 7-9
2007 5-11
2008 7-9
2009 8-8
2010 6-10

2011 13-3 (1-1)
2012 11-4 (2-1)
2013 12-4 (2-1)
2014 8-8

Jim Harbaugh was head coach 2011-2014.  He lost a power struggle with the GM, and apparently lost the locker room as well last year.  He turned around the University of San Diego's program in 3 years there, and Stanford's (!) in the 4 years he was there.  Apparently that's his pattern.  I'm confident he will get Michigan's program back on track, but who knows how long he lasts

None of the above gives confidence for the future, the Harbaugh years appear to be an aberration, we'll see.

gabrielle

Please address the Fred Hackson cut.....the skies are crying ! :'(

eddie dean

Quote from: gabrielle on September 01, 2015, 03:21:03 PM

That's the Bills loss. On the bright side, (for Jackson anyway), he is visiting w/ the Seahawks today. If they sign him, he & Lynch will be a nasty RB combination. The hawks certainly have taken advantage of the Bills discarded RBs. Look what they did with Lynch, 2 trips to the Super Bowl & a shit ton of Skittle sales! ;)

chefist

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 31, 2015, 08:39:59 PM

College football can be especially entertaining, the fans more enthusiastic, and the tickets are cheaper (depending on which team are in your local area).  Even high school football is ok, but it's better if you have some tie to the team

I agree...I started watching college ball again when I gave up subscription TV a few years back.  I'm amazed at how many college games you get OTA for free! So I'm a fan again...any given Saturday there are great games with ranked teams...and the crowd energy is just the best!

Juan

Does Blaine Gabbert still duck if a defensive player is within 15-yards?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Juan on September 01, 2015, 06:23:27 PM

Those ducks he throws barely go 15 yards.

gabrielle

Quote from: eddie dean on September 01, 2015, 05:22:34 PM
That's the Bills loss. On the bright side, (for Jackson anyway), he is visiting w/ the Seahawks today. If they sign him, he & Lynch will be a nasty RB combination. The hawks certainly have taken advantage of the Bills discarded RBs. Look what they did with Lynch, 2 trips to the Super Bowl & a shit ton of Skittle sales! ;)

I am still suffering PTSD...I saw Rb...and thought Rob Johnson....then came the shoe lace incident...
I agree...the Bills have made an error...Bum Philips' ghost perhaps......or the hex .....maybe Blanche knows?

Quote from: gabrielle on September 01, 2015, 03:21:03 PM

He was one of the oldest RBs in the league last year, and was expendable when the Bills got LeShawn McCoy.  If they needed cap room, his salary was an easy target.  Someone will pick him up

Quote from: Juan on September 01, 2015, 06:23:27 PM

That instinct may keep him alive if he goes in to play behind that SF OL

akwilly

Quote from: gabrielle on August 31, 2015, 04:32:50 PM
If football is like chess then hockey must seem like ballet to you.

gabrielle

Quote from: akwilly on September 01, 2015, 08:44:45 PM

Hmmmm... not sure what to say to that...but I think I agree

cweb

Quote from: gabrielle on September 01, 2015, 06:41:59 PM
I am still suffering PTSD...I saw Rb...and thought Rob Johnson....then came the shoe lace incident...
I agree...the Bills have made an error...Bum Philips' ghost perhaps......or the hex .....maybe Blanche knows?
Once McCoy was acquired, Fred's goose was cooked. Rumor has it that Rex Ryan wanted him gone from the get-go. Don't think it was personal.

I hate to see Fred go, but this inevitably happens with any beloved Bills RB. Remember Thurman going to Miami?

akwilly

Quote from: cweb on September 02, 2015, 04:48:28 PM
Once McCoy was acquired, Fred's goose was cooked. Rumor has it that Rex Ryan wanted him gone from the get-go. Don't think it was personal.

I hate to see Fred go, but this inevitably happens with any beloved Bills RB. Remember Thurman going to Miami?
I hope he signs with Seattle. He seems like the kind of guy that would be a good locker room presence even if maybe his playing days are winding down.

Juan

Week 4 preseason games tonight - I can't wait to see all the practice squad players.

eddie dean

Final week of the preseason starts and ends today.

Last chance for young players to make the 53 man roster.

Most interesting battle: Tebow vs Barkley. Both will play a half but it's reported they will play a quarter at a time. 1 & 3 Barkley, 2 & 4 Tebow.
This is Tebow's last chance to make the roster as 3rd string QB.
That game (Eagles vs Jets) will air live on NFL Network at 4pm PT
Will he make the squad?

akwilly

Quote from: eddie dean on September 03, 2015, 04:39:37 PM
Final week of the preseason starts and ends today.

Last chance for young players to make the 53 man roster.

Most interesting battle: Tebow vs Barkley. Both will play a half but it's reported they will play a quarter at a time. 1 & 3 Barkley, 2 & 4 Tebow.
This is Tebow's last chance to make the roster as 3rd string QB.
That game (Eagles vs Jets) will air live on NFL Network at 4pm PT
Will he make the squad?
I think there must be something about Tebow that we don't know. Maybe he is uncoachable or something becouse how is it that he can't make a roster and there are tons of shit QBs in the league.

akwilly

Tebow is tearing it up. If he dosn't get the job over Barkley then something is wrong

starrmtn001

Quote from: akwilly on September 01, 2015, 08:44:45 PM
Bloody ballet and chess . . . . . . . . . . . ok.  Think I'm getting it now. :o

jazmunda

Americans are finding out what it feels like to get in the way of Aussie Haynes.

https://youtu.be/MBjUJ4yaiCE

eddie dean

Quote from: akwilly on September 03, 2015, 05:37:39 PM
I think there must be something about Tebow that we don't know. Maybe he is uncoachable or something becouse how is it that he can't make a roster and there are tons of shit QBs in the league.

It's an issue of consistency. Tebow has problems recognizing the defense & going through his WR reads. If his first WR is covered he panics & instinctively wants to run the ball. He hesitates when throwing timing patterns and his ability to fit the football into a small window or throw to a certain space on the field is questionable.

I root for the guy. I'm a Broncos fan & I witnessed his incanny abilities to win close games in the 4th qtr. 2011 was a fun ride & because of what he did as the starter that year, I will always be a fan.