• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

St. Louis to Stop Airing Snoory!

Started by stlcoastfan1985, March 05, 2013, 04:35:35 PM

Well it's official. Folks here in the St. Louis area are about to lose the Snoorster! As overjoyed as I am to hear that a station is actually dropping him as opposed to picking him up, what strikes me as weird is that the one that's doing it is his secondary flagship station of all things, not to mention the one that really gave him his big radio showbiz break. (If there is such a thing.) No definite reasons yet as to why they've decided to drop him, nor do we know if there is another station in town that will be picking him up, but the thing that I'm wondering is will he still broadcast from KTRS when he's in STL. Not surprisingly though, this isn't an earth shattering breaking news story, so the only details I've heard were from another show on this afternoon and a brief blurb of it on our local newspaper's site linked below.

I'm guessing that the reason for KTRS dropping him is due to his contract running out, as is the case so many times why other shows leave certain stations. However could it possibly (and hopefully) be that this is the first of many stations to start seeing the light (as well as their ratings sheet) and ridding themselves of the infection that is Jorch Snoory in place of better, more intellectually stimulating programs for nocturnal listeners? One can only dream on I guess, but either way, it still strikes me as amazing that after all these years they'd be letting him go.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/noory-s-coast-to-coast-am-leaving-ktrs/article_652757c1-3d19-5af9-99d5-c930d11b5e42.html

"We don't have much depth." -Art Bell 

Juan

I thought he broadcast from The Cave in St. Louis.  I figured Cheap Channel had bought an ISDN line and built a little studio for him.

LOL! Actually the studios are "high atop the golden towers of Westport Plaza." I think it just makes him feel that much better about himself when he knows he's not broadcasting from a tiny double-wide out in the middle of the Nevada desert. Yet he can't fill his entire fan club into a space as big as that.

Here's a neat idea that I just thought of, could the management at KTRS have heard of Art Bell's rumored comeback and have decided to clear the airspace awaiting in angst anticipation like the rest of us for his triumphant return??? Maybe that's a little bit too much to hope for.  :-\

Juan

It's less than a month away - April 2.

Eddie Coyle

Noory Sucks.

But John Grayson may suck worse.

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 05, 2013, 04:35:35 PM
Well it's official. Folks here in the St. Louis area are about to lose the Snoorster! As overjoyed as I am to hear that a station is actually dropping him as opposed to picking him up, what strikes me as weird is that the one that's doing it is his secondary flagship station of all things...

Haw haw haw, I love it.  Maybe when he goes to St Louis he can broadcast from what's left of the boarded up and abandoned Marrakesh Cafe and Oasis Bar..

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 05, 2013, 04:35:35 PM
... the one that really gave him his big radio showbiz break...

That place should have been dismantled - brick by brick, earth salted, and kept as a weedy dirt lot with a tiny faded sign of apology posted in the front.

I actually never knew about the restaurant, but it actually doesn't surprise me that he'd go out on a limb in taking up that business venture. Even less surprising is the fact that it didn't last very long. Every joker and person of even limited fame with a dime in their pocket thinks they can open a restaurant. Why should Snoory be any less different?

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 05, 2013, 05:34:53 PM
I actually never knew about the restaurant, but it actually doesn't surprise me that he'd go out on a limb in taking up that business venture. Even less surprising is the fact that it didn't last very long. Every joker and person of even limited fame with a dime in their pocket thinks they can open a restaurant. Why should Snoory be any less different?

Apparently it was in a town called Brentwood, in the late '80s

George actually said he could be successful because he 'knew people' in the restaurant business (according to some magazine interview he did talking about it).   

What an ego.  For a person that has apparently never been successful at anything.  Except coming up with excuses and spin.  And getting people to invest with him and hire him.

Brentwood is a suburb of STL. I thought you were saying though he tried opening the restaurant just recently.

I'm sure Snoory "knows" people. That's part of the reason why he got the job he has now. And considering his legal record, I'd say he's known a few too many people along the way that have realized what a douche he is (especially outside of this website) and I wouldn't be surprised if that trend starts to rise to the level of actually hurting him.

As you note, KTRS was where he got his start, so this is a huge fail, gigantic actually.

Falkie2013

May I suggest a setup such as this for Snoory's next broadcast studio. I think I see a secret door right in front of me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on March 06, 2013, 06:43:43 AM
Do we have confirmation?

I haven't heard anything to that exact nature, but the article says it will be by the end of April. I'll fill you all in w/more details if I hear any. There's no mention of it on the KTRS website, but I have written the station asking for a general explaination. I doubt they'll actually tell me anything different, but we'll see.

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on March 06, 2013, 06:45:12 AM
As you note, KTRS was where he got his start, so this is a huge fail, gigantic actually.

LOL! Yeah, I never thought of it that way! Ironic isn't it?

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 06, 2013, 08:50:17 AM
May I suggest a setup such as this for Snoory's next broadcast studio. I think I see a secret door right in front of me.

That's pretty good Falkie. But I think I'd rather see him broadcast from a hot, dirty, unpumped, overflowing construction site port-a-potty that's been sitting out in the sun on a July day! The show's been in the crapper ever since he took it over, so why not actually broadcast it from one?

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 06, 2013, 12:30:09 PM

That's pretty good Falkie. But I think I'd rather see him broadcast from a hot, dirty, unpumped, overflowing construction site port-a-potty that's been sitting out in the sun on a July day!...

George would lke that too.

"They're buildin' me a studio in a port-uh-potty outside in thuh sun, an' as soon as they fill it wif raw sewage we'll be able to use it"

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 06, 2013, 01:50:28 PM

George would lke that too.

"They're buildin' me a studio in a port-uh-potty outside in thuh sun, an' as soon as they fill it wif raw sewage we'll be able to use it"

Hahahaha.... ;D ....."So Tommy, how's thuh raw sewage 'fill'n go'n?"

LeslieV

Reading the article, the program will move to 97.1 FM which will cut way down on the coverage area.  Many times on trips traveling I-70, I would tune to 550AM to hear Art during the long nights drive.

The same thing happened in Colorado Springs, they moved C2C to a FM station and very low power AM station.  In Denver it moved to a sports talk station and many times, the sports program runs way over into C2C so no sense even listening.

Looks like the word is out in the ratings game.

I bet noodle brain pumps this as wow, gee, we are picking up a new station in STL.  Of course limited coverage on FM and I doubt heard 50+ miles away on the interstate.

Are you talking about the article I posted? It didn't say he would definitely go there, but that it would be the best logical choice. However 97.1 is very Fox News themed w/Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, etc. and they currently play Red Eye Radio overnight, so I doubt they would drop it in favor of Snoory. (At least I hope they don't!) And yes, 97.1 does not have that wide of a range outside the STL area, but it's really the only other talk station unless KMOX picks him up. I would think that might actually be more of a possibility since KMOX is 50,000 watts, and goes well beyond KTRS's range.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: LeslieV on March 06, 2013, 05:06:35 PM
Of course limited coverage on FM and I doubt heard 50+ miles away on the interstate.

i live just south of st. louis, so obviously i've made many trips there for various things over the years.  there was a time when i'd listen to 97.1 while driving up there.  the station is now stale/awful and generally not unique in any way (compared to a typical, cookie cutter talk station).  i no longer tune in.  when i did, the signal wasn't even of the 50 mile variety. 

it's a small station.

Juan

KTRS-AM 550 is owned by the St. Louis Cardinals and CH Holdings.  It is only 5,000 watts day and night, not a powerful signal.

KFTK-FM 97.1 is owned by Emmis Communications, so the change of stations is a change of ownership, too. It's 100,000 watts, so it should actually have better coverage than the AM station - though maybe not at night. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 06, 2013, 07:28:07 PM
KTRS-AM 550 is owned by the St. Louis Cardinals and CH Holdings.  It is only 5,000 watts day and night, not a powerful signal.

KFTK-FM 97.1 is owned by Emmis Communications, so the change of stations is a change of ownership, too. It's 100,000 watts, so it should actually have better coverage than the AM station - though maybe not at night.

I'll take a 5kw day/night signal on an awesome AM frequency over 100kw of FM anything.

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 06, 2013, 07:28:07 PM

Yeah, it's funny that the Cards partly own KTRS, yet they broadcast on 1120 KMOX. They did however from 2006-10, but went back to KMOX. I guess because they gave them a better deal. That, and the long history the Cards have with KMOX. (Not to mention the 50,000 watts and 10x farther distance at night than KTRS.) I've been in upsate New York and have been able to pick up KMOX at night, which is why I think if Snoory were smart, he'd work out some kinda deal with them.

It's funny though, KFTK may have a stronger signal but honestly, it doesn't come in as clearly as KTRS day or night! I think it might be cause there's too many stations close to KFTK. You've got KHIT's 96 on one side and Y98 on the other, so there's more chance of overlapping. (Especially if you've got an old dial radio!) There's nothing close to KTRS other than a weak sports channel on 590 which can't even make it over a tall building, so I'm guessing the interference is less on AM. That and the fact that I think KFTK drops it's signal a little bit at night as most FM stations do, so that might also attribute to the weaker signal. Another reason why Snoory would be stupid to sign w/KFTK. Overall, it's quite a congested market of stations on the FM dial here in the Gateway City, but there's really nothing over on AM besides KTRS and KMOX. A Catholic station and an oldies station way up on the dial, but that's about it.

KMOX has always prided itself as being the "Voice of St. Louis" and has been well known for it's range far outside the city, so as much as I'd hate to see the big Jorch itch still appear on any other channel here, if it were me KMOX would be my best choice. 

Quote from: MV on March 06, 2013, 07:55:14 PM
I'll take a 5kw day/night signal on an awesome AM frequency over 100kw of FM anything.

I'm with you MV! I don't know what it is, but there's something about the sound and feel of a good crisp, clear AM signal that FM just can't match!   

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on March 06, 2013, 08:24:11 PM
...if it were me KMOX would be my best choice.

i assure you... kmox will most certainly not end up carrying coast to coast.

Quote from: MV on March 06, 2013, 08:26:38 PM

i assure you... kmox will most certainly not end up carrying coast to coast.

Oh, I doubt it too, and I hope they DON'T! I'm just saying that I think we all know the old Nooron will make another idiotic decision here. Might actually end up hurting him in the long run too, so I'm all for it! Plus, I think KMOX has way more class than to defile their station's good name and reputation with him.

Falkie2013

Quote from: ItsOver on March 06, 2013, 02:23:08 PM

Hahahaha.... ;D ....."So Tommy, how's thuh raw sewage 'fill'n go'n?"

So now it comes full circle.

From boiling pits of sewage with JC and Art Bell to boring pit of sewage with Snoory and Tommy.

Using my remote control viewing skills I learned from thousands of hours of Coast listening, I see a cartoon forming.

I see an outhouse or a port -a - potty.

I see a walrus with a big mustache in the port a potty holding a microphone.

I see a man named Tommy turning a valve attached to a big hose leading into the port-a-potty.

It's getting cloudy now.

Ask again later ...

" East of the Rockies line. This is Tommy. What did you want to talk to Snoorge about ? "

[attachment deleted by admin]

That's the exact same link I put up HorrorReporter.