• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Horror Movies!

Started by ksm32, October 28, 2015, 09:33:10 PM

Lt.Uhura

Netflix has a rather pitiful offering of horror films, so I'm thinking I'll stop in at my local video store.  They have some decent hard to find foreign films which I often like.

Has anyone seen this one from Spain?  Evidently Quarantine was a remake of this original. 

[REC]

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/REC_(film)

chefist

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 29, 2015, 01:43:27 PM
Netflix has a rather pitiful offering of horror films, so I'm thinking I'll stop in at my local video store.  They have some decent hard to find foreign films which I often like.

Has anyone seen this one from Spain?  Evidently Quarantine was a remake of this original. 

[REC]

Agreed

ItsOver

A somewhat bizarre German flick I caught several weeks ago at a local artsy theater was "Goodnight Mommy."  Not too bad.  Beware, though, it is subtitled.  Another fairly decent horror movie is "It Follows.  Worth a Redbox rental.

bateman

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 01:38:12 PM
If you like Japanese horror movies- Reincarnation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0b_n3f1kY

If we're doing Japanese movies... Audition.

bateman

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 29, 2015, 01:43:27 PM

[REC]

Quarantine was practically a shot for shot remake so I didn't bother with the original, should I give it a shot?

Without Warning 1980
Phantasm 1979
Psychomania 1973
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror 1981
Tales from the Crypt 1972

bateman

I enjoyed the hell out of the first Scream too. That might be my #5, displacing The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: bateman on October 29, 2015, 02:08:12 PM
Quarantine was practically a shot for shot remake so I didn't bother with the original, should I give it a shot?

The director of [REC] mentioned Quarantine avoided the "religious themes" of his film.  I'm going to give it a try if I can find it.

pyewacket

Quote from: bateman on October 29, 2015, 02:06:57 PM
If we're doing Japanese movies... Audition.

I've heard of this movie, but I don't have the nerve to watch it. Things seen that cannot be unseen - I can do without.  :o You're braver than I am, Bateman.  ;)

analog kid

I watch Idle Hands every Halloween. Maybe for lack of anything better to watch, but it's comedy horror and I wish there were more movies like it.

Return of the Living Dead and the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead are favorites.

bateman

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 02:16:40 PM
I've heard of this movie, but I don't have the nerve to watch it. Things seen that cannot be unseen - I can do without.  :o You're braver than I am, Bateman.  ;)

It always popped up on the "best horror movies of all time" lists and I was determined to find it. I watched it exactly once. It's brilliant, but ridiculously disturbing.

ItsOver

Quote from: bateman on October 29, 2015, 02:20:54 PM
It always popped up on the "best horror movies of all time" lists and I was determined to find it. I watched it exactly once. It's brilliant, but ridiculously disturbing.
It sounds more disturbing than "Saw."  Excellent.

bateman

Quote from: ItsOver on October 29, 2015, 02:32:01 PM
It sounds more disturbing than "Saw."  Excellent.

I think it is, yeah.

bateman

Great scene from 'Let Me In', remake of the Swedish 'Let the Right One In'. Better than the original.

http://youtu.be/2yBH6lhRBOQ

pyewacket

Quote from: bateman on October 29, 2015, 02:20:54 PM

I had seen Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door supposedly based on a true story and that was bad enough.

How about the After Dark Horrorfest movies- The Gravedancers, Unrest, and Wicked Little Things?

pyewacket

Quote from: analog kid on October 29, 2015, 02:20:54 PM
I watch Idle Hands every Halloween. Maybe for lack of anything better to watch, but it's comedy horror and I wish there were more movies like it.

If you like comedy horror- you might like The Frighteners staring Michael J. Fox.

pyewacket

One of the craziest horror movies I've seen was Wes Craven's People Under the Stairs.

Another good one was the 1973 made for TV movie, Don't be Afraid of the Dark starring Kim Darby. A remake starring Katie Holmes came out in 2011.

onan

Lair of the White Worm has some creepy moments.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on October 29, 2015, 12:59:39 PM
Here's a couple of "odd" movies.

"Remote Control" - Yeah, it's got Kevin Dillon but to hell with him.  It has Jennifer Tilly and the hottie valley girl Deborah Goodrich.  The first time I stumbled upon this bizarre '80s flick was late at night, ages ago.  I felt like James Woods in "Videodrome."

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space" - Noory must hate this one so it has to be good.

"The Return of the Living Dead" - Goofy, fun horror.

A few years ago I stumbled across an amazing "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" T-shirt on the clearance rack at a local head shop.  My daughter kringes whenever I wear it, but her 3 yr old daughter loves the shirt!

Oh, my vote to "Angel Heart" as well.

Eddie Coyle

In a previous life I was Bad Ronald.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 29, 2015, 05:02:31 PM
A few years ago I stumbled across an amazing "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" T-shirt on the clearance rack at a local head shop.  My daughter kringes whenever I wear it, but her 3 yr old daughter loves the shirt!

Oh, my vote to "Angel Heart" as well.
I remember eyeing a Killler Klown t-shirt a few years back and almost got it.  There are no coincidences.

ksm32

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 02:16:40 PM

Audition, is some dark shit, man :o  There really should be a new genre for movies like this. Morbid/Disturbing :-\

bateman

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 02:53:01 PM
I had seen Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door supposedly based on a true story and that was bad enough.

After reading the synopsis, there is no way I'm watching that. Jesus Christ.

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 02:53:01 PM
How about the After Dark Horrorfest movies- The Gravedancers, Unrest, and Wicked Little Things?

I could give these a shot.

Have you seen The Descent? "Best thriller since Alien" is not inaccurate. 

https://youtu.be/WhZj0Q9rq9E

VtaGeezer

"Return of the Living Dead" (The dancing naked chick gave it uncommon gravitas for the genre).
"The Mummy's Curse" (1944)
"Paranormal Activity"  ...one of the few flicks that actually made my hair stand up.
"Alien"
"The Thing" (1951 orig.)
"Johnny Guitar"...Joan Crawford was actually scarier than any made-up monster.

bateman

Quote from: ksm32 on October 29, 2015, 06:59:18 PM
Audition, is some dark shit, man :o  There really should be a new genre for movies like this. Morbid/Disturbing :-\

Audition is just the beginning of that shit. The one at the very end of the rabbit hole is August Underground, which I wouldn't even recommend Googling. I won't watch it.

bateman

Quote from: pyewacket on October 29, 2015, 03:17:46 PM
One of the craziest horror movies I've seen was Wes Craven's People Under the Stairs.

Oh god, the nightmares from that one...

bateman

I enjoyed the 1999 remake of House on Haunted Hill, at least the first 3/4 of it. The ending blows.

Uncle Duke

Anyone mention "Human Centipede"?  A very disturbing film, difficult to sit through after a while.