• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Who actually listens anymore?

Started by ziznak, May 26, 2012, 11:45:37 PM

ziznak

I have been tuning in lately... even if i think it's gonna suck I check in and then am quickly put to sleep.  Anybody been listening?

ManiacMatt

Only if it's Ian or G. Knapp. I listen to Wells if the topic is good. I get too annoyed by Noory's lack of understanding and insight and every other dumb thing he does.

stevesh

I listen every night but Saturday. In my defense, I'm in the car from 1:00 to 5:00 AM six nights a week, and the alternatives here are worse than Noory. I find myself switching to music stations more and more lately, though, but because of the guests rather than Noory's incredibile incompetence. I'm burned out on the 'speerchool' stuff like angels, magic, talking to the dead and all the fundementalist Christian claptrap. It's all such bullshit, and impossibly boring.

Ben Shockley

I haven't "actually listened" much since late 2001, when Art went full-on warmonger.  After that, and since Georgie took over, it's been mostly background muzak to whatever else I was doing late at night.

Quote from: stevesh on May 27, 2012, 05:41:40 AM
I listen every night but Saturday. In my defense, I'm in the car from 1:00 to 5:00 AM six nights a week, and the alternatives here are worse than Noory...
If you don't mind saying, Stevesh -- what takes you out during those hours?  It sounds similar to when I did a courier route ~

Edit:  "warmonger" in re Art Bell -- change to "chickenhawk warmonger."

ziznak

pretty sure he's dealing drugs or pimping ho's

stevesh

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 07:07:41 AM
I haven't "actually listened" much since late 2001, when Art went full-on warmonger.  After that, and since Georgie took over, it's been mostly background muzak to whatever else I was doing late at night.
If you don't mind saying, Stevesh -- what takes you out during those hours?  It sounds similar to when I did a courier route ~

Edit:  "warmonger" in re Art Bell -- change to "chickenhawk warmonger."

Delivering The Wall Street Journal (which may, in some folks' opinion, be worse that the drug/ho thing). Pretty decent part-time job, though.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: stevesh on May 27, 2012, 08:22:10 AM
Delivering The Wall Street Journal (which may, in some folks' opinion, be worse that the drug/ho thing). Pretty decent part-time job, though.
Much like a courier gig.   No one breathing down your neck, except for whatever time/volume demands you have... just you and the vehicle and the radio.   It's great.

ziznak

Quote from: stevesh on May 27, 2012, 08:22:10 AM
so you actually have an excuse to listen.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: ManiacMatt on May 27, 2012, 12:12:24 AM
Only if it's Ian or G. Knapp. I listen to Wells if the topic is good. I get too annoyed by Noory's lack of understanding and insight and every other dumb thing he does.

Ditto.  I listen to Ian and Knapp pretty much regardless of topic because both have frequently surprised me by taking not-so-promising-sounding topics and making them engaging (for me, at least).

Noory has the opposite effect.  I'll see promising-looking topics, and like clockwork, he decimates them.  I started feeling like Charlie Brown having Lucy pull the football away just at the moment he'd fall for trusting her. 

stevesh

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 08:26:28 AM
Much like a courier gig.   No one breathing down your neck, except for whatever time/volume demands you have... just you and the vehicle and the radio.   It's great.

Exactly. The only issues I ever have is every three months when the local police departments switch shifts and the officers who have been on first shift go on third. Many of them haven't been on that shift before, and they aren't accustomed to our (newspaper and pizza delivery folks) driving on both sides of the street, etc., and we get stopped a few times until they figure it out. One guy pulled me over two nights in a row, and when he saw it was me the second night, he said "Ha! Caught you again!", and drove away.

Zircon

If you listen on the radio it can get annoying. I understand that advertising is necessary to broadcast. But we get what, the news on the half hour for 6-7 minutes plus another 5 minutes of the same commercials also twice per hour. And then before he starts each segment he gives you a 30 second spurt and then more commercials. What do we get ... around 30-32 minutes per hour.?

Art Bell was even worse as he often broke on the quarter hour with a couple of minutes of the same old shit commercials about some growth hormones or whatever.

Graham Handcock, Michio Kaku, Seth Shostak, conspiracy theory, alternate history, astronomy, reputable UFO investigators (NOT "Dr" Lazar con artists) and futurists are welcome in my book.

THOSE THAT CAN POUND SAND => those that say we'll be buddies with aliens as we save the planet with green technology and learn about our planes of existence from our alien betters, bullshit vampires since it is a current craze in Hollywood plus zombies and Big Foot bullshit.

pate

Nothing new on the UFOshit, I'd rater hoor Dave.

(red-eye shun)