• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Me Decade: Movies, TV

Started by Nucky Nolan, November 13, 2012, 12:24:18 AM

HorrorRetro

The House that Would Not Die is a good one! 

Just in time for the holidays, here is a '72 Spelling-Goldberg production of Home for the Holidays.  It's not your usual feel-good holiday fare.  8)

Home For the Holidays TV 1972 1.wmv

Jasmine

Here's a gem of a made-for-TV film from 1974. Peter Graves in Where Have All The People Gone? The story of a family vacationing in California's Sierra Mountains, and surviving a deadly solar flare that wipes out pretty much all of the Earth's population. Peter, along with his son and daughter, make the arduous and terrifying journey back to Los Angeles, where their mother (and Pete's wife) departed for the day prior to the solar flare strike.

It's a damn good one. I love it. Enjoy!

Where Have All The People Gone? (Full Movie) (1974)

Where Have All the People Gone? (1974)

Jasmine

Home For The Holidays is a great flick. Thanks for that.

Here's another Christmas themed flick from 1974. Black Christmas, a Canadian produced slasher flick that started it the genre. This film was made four years prior to John Carpenter's Halloween, and Carpenter shamelessly ripped off a lot from this great horror movie. Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, John Saxon, Andrea Martin, and others make up the great cast.

A maniac psycho sneaks into a girls' college fraternity house...and the nightmare begins...

This one still creeps me out. Enjoy!

Black Christmas (Full Movie) (1974)

Black Christmas (1974) Full Movie [Blu Ray]

Jasmine

From 1972, an ABC made-for-TV film, The Screaming Woman, starring Olivia de Havilland.

From IMDB: The Screaming Woman. A wealthy former mental patient goes home to her estate to rest and recuperate. While walking the grounds one day she hears the screams of a woman coming from underneath the ground who has been buried alive. Her family, however, refuses to believe her story, and sees the incident as an opportunity to prove the woman's mind has snapped so they can take control of her money.

The ending to this film creeps me out to no end. Enjoy, kiddos!

The Screaming Woman (Full Movie) (1972)

The Screaming Woman (1972) Full movie

Jasmine

Also from 1972, another ABC Movie of the Week - made-for-TV flim, The Victim, starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

A wealthy woman (Liz) is trapped during a storm in a house with no electricity or phone. A killer has murdered her sister, stuffed the body in the basement, and is now after her.

The Victim (Full Movie) (1972)

The Victim - Elizabeth Montgomery (1972) Full movie

Jasmine

Here's a made-for-TV film from 1975, Conspiracy of Terror, starring Michael Constantine.

A husband-and-wife detective team investigate the existence of lethal Satanic cults in a suburbia, while the husband battles with his Orthodox Jewish parents who haven't forgiven him for marrying a Gentile woman.

Conspiracy of Terror (Full Movie) (1975)

Conspiracy of Terror (1975)

Jasmine

Here's a TV movie from 1978, The Ghost of Flight 401. Based on the actual 1972 crash of a jumbo jet in the Florida Everglades.

An aircraft crashes in the Florida Everglades, killing 101 passengers. After the wreckage is removed, salvageable parts from the plane are used to repair other aircraft. Soon passengers and crew on those aircraft report seeing what they believe to be the ghost of the wrecked airplane's flight engineer.

I read the book by John Fuller. Pretty spooky.

The Ghost of Flight 401 (Full Movie) (1978)

The Ghost of Flight 401 (TV 1978)

Jasmine

From 1972, a made-for-TV suspense film, When Michael Calls. Was also called "Shattered Silence". Starring Ben Gazzara, Elizabeth Ashley and Michael Douglas.

From IMDB: When Michael Calls Helen (Elizabeth Ashley) keeps on receiving phone calls from a child, who claims being her nephew Michael - but Michael died 15 years ago! In these calls he scolds on acquaintances, who then die in suspicious accidents. Soon Helen fears she is to be the next victim.

"Auntie my Helen!? I'm Dead!"

When Michael Calls/Shattered Silence (Full Movie) (1972)

WHEN MICHAEL CALLS aka SHATTERED SILENCE (1972) Full Feature

Jasmine

Here's a made-for-TV film (ABC Movie of the Week) from 1971, The Last Child. Starring Michael Cole.

From IMDB: The Last Child. In a badly-overpopulated future, where each couple is only allowed one child and people over 65 are forbidden medical care, a young couple, pregnant with their second child (the first died shortly after birth) try to escape to Canada.

The Last Child (Full Movie) (1971)

The Last Child - Michael Cole (1971) Full movie

Jasmine

ABC Movie of the Week from 1973. The Bait. Starring Donna Mills. Love this one!

Donna Mills plays an undercover policewomen trying to to trap a homicidal rapist.

The Bait (Full Movie) (1973)

The Bait - Donna Mills (1973) Full Movie

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 14, 2012, 11:47:35 AM
The kid who prefers to read,write and do numbers games than fingerpaint is clearly a kook. Get him away from the others before they pick up those bad habits.

Rodney Allen Rippy

That's quite a coincidence (and they do exist). That's what my kindergarten and elementary school teachers said about me. I wish that was a joke! BTW, speaking of Rippy (and I do at least once a day), do you recall an unfortunate White version of him, named Mason Reece?

Jasmine

One more upload tonight. This VERY disturbing made-for-TV suspense film was based on a true story. The daughter of a wealthy family is kidnapped and imprisoned underground in a coffin, while her family and the police search for her.

The Longest Night (Full Movie) (1972)

The Longest Night (1972) Full Movie

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 14, 2012, 06:53:16 PM
That's quite a coincidence (and they do exist). That's what my kindergarten and elementary school teachers said about me. I wish that was a joke! BTW, speaking of Rippy (and I do at least once a day), do you recall an unfortunate White version of him, named Mason Reece?

Mason...who was in the Van Halen "Hot For Teacher" video in '84, as the adult version of Waldo in the "what happened to " portion at the end of the video. Last I heard/seen of him was on Howard Stern circa 1992 when he became a celebrity wackpacker for a brief spell.

I started the rumor that Rodney Allen Rippy is now Shabazz X Lacks and was a featured speaker at the Million Man March. It didn't quite reach urban myth status..but why not try again.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Jasmine on November 14, 2012, 06:33:17 PM
Here's a made-for-TV film (ABC Movie of the Week) from 1971, The Last Child. Starring Michael Cole.

From IMDB: The Last Child. In a badly-overpopulated future, where each couple is only allowed one child and people over 65 are forbidden medical care, a young couple, pregnant with their second child (the first died shortly after birth) try to escape to Canada.

The Last Child (Full Movie) (1971)

The Last Child - Michael Cole (1971) Full movie

Nice find!  That's a new one for me.  Sounds kind of like Zero Population Growth (ZPG), 1972. 

Z.P.G. Trailer

Jasmine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 07:08:34 PM
Nice find!  That's a new one for me.  Sounds kind of like Zero Population Growth (ZPG), 1972. 

Z.P.G. Trailer

I only discovered The Last Child a short while ago. I really enjoyed it. My brother alerted me to it. Hope you enjoy it, HorrorRetro! And yes, reminiscent of Zero Population Growth.

Did you ever see the one I just uploaded, The Longest Night? VERY creepy-crawly.

Jasmine

This one is a little different. Here's a hilarious clip from the Bewitched episode Samantha's Power Failure.

From YouTube: The Witches' Council decides to take away Samantha's powers when she refuses to give up her mortal marriage. Uncle Arthur and Serena show their support for Samantha by forfeiting their powers as well.

In this scene, Uncle Arthur and Serena go to work as mortals at an ice cream making company.

Bewitched: Samantha's Power Failure Excerpt

Bewitched: Samanthas Power Failure 5.25 [2/2]

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 14, 2012, 07:05:12 PM
        Mason...who was in the Van Halen "Hot For Teacher" video in '84, as the adult version of Waldo in the "what happened to " portion at the end of the video. Last I heard/seen of him was on Howard Stern circa 1992 when he became a celebrity wackpacker for a brief spell.

I started the rumor that Rodney Allen Rippy is now Shabazz X Lacks and was a featured speaker at the Million Man March. It didn't quite reach urban myth status..but why not try again.

Thanks for the update. I hope that his looks improved with age. He was the only child that my mother and grandma referred to as ugly. I heard that he now does a local cable access show for California skinheads (kidding).

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Jasmine on November 14, 2012, 05:28:49 PM
a deadly solar flare that wipes out pretty much all of the Earth's population

That sounds like George Noory's version of "Debbie Does Dallas".

(Not) Noory: "The kill shot was the money shot!"

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Jasmine on November 14, 2012, 06:12:21 PM
A husband-and-wife detective team investigate the existence of lethal Satanic cults in a suburbia, while the husband battles with his Orthodox Jewish parents who haven't forgiven him for marrying a Gentile woman.

What happens when a scriptwriter combines "McMillan & Wife" with "Bridget Loves Bernie"? BTW, the former series featured a plot about one of those groovy devil-digging cults.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 14, 2012, 07:25:45 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope that his looks improved with age. He was the only child that my mother and grandma referred to as ugly. I heard that he now does a local cable access show for California skinheads (kidding).
He got scarier with age, and didn't appear to grow beyond 5'2". His facial features were Down Syndromic to a degree.
       I'm speading that rumor.

Meggini

Thank you so much for posing these links, Jasmine and HorrorRetro. I thought I'd never have the chance to watch these movies. My childhood friend down the street would talk about scary they were, but we were never allowed to seem them. (I was so jealous!)

I should probably just watch them in bed with my Kindle Fire... with the lights out.

Jasmine

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 14, 2012, 07:36:37 PM
What happens when a scriptwriter combines "McMillan & Wife" with "Bridget Loves Bernie"? BTW, the former series featured a plot about one of those groovy devil-digging cults.

LOL! Good 70's TV series combo ya came up with there. Oh! McMillan and Wife has a groovy, far out devil cult episode, ya say? I'll have to source that. Thanks.

And, HorrorRetro...The Waltons had a POLTERGEIST episode? The WALTONS? You're putting me on, right?

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 14, 2012, 07:46:14 PM
       He got scarier with age, and didn't appear to grow beyond 5'2". His facial features were Down Syndromic to a degree.
       I'm speading that rumor.

Didn't he die after downing a pack of Pop Rocks with a can of Coke? He was in Vietnam at the time.

slipstream

The writing on TV shows before 1988 (with exception) was so much better.

Jasmine

Quote from: Meggini on November 14, 2012, 07:54:25 PM
Thank you so much for posing these links, Jasmine and HorrorRetro. I thought I'd never have the chance to watch these movies. My childhood friend down the street would talk about scary they were, but we were never allowed to seem them. (I was so jealous!)

I should probably just watch them in bed with my Kindle Fire... with the lights out.

You're very welcome, Meggini. I'm sure you'll enjoy them, and yes, watching them in bed in the dark is the best! I find these films to be comfort food, as weird as that sounds. I just love the look and feel of the 70's. I also dig old 30's and 40's films, too.

HorrorRetro introduced me to some 70's made-for-TV stuff I had never laid eyes on, and I enjoyed them.

I'll upload some more shtuff tomorrow...and I'm sure HorrorRetro will, too.

Turn off those lights, Meggini, and enjoy the flicks!

Jaz

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 14, 2012, 08:03:10 PM
Didn't he die after downing a pack of Pop Rocks with a can of Coke? He was in Vietnam at the time.
But he was resurrected and was on the Wonder Years and then became Marilyn Manson and married David Geffen.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 14, 2012, 08:16:17 PM
   But he was resurrected and was on the Wonder Years and then became Marilyn Manson and married David Geffen.

I stand corrected. I thought that was the kid from the Life Cereal commercials. We all now know and love that picky kid as Alice Cooper. I know that's anachronistic, but the kids won't know the difference.

Juan

Those buried alive stories in the early seventies were prompted by the 1968 true case of Barbara Jane Mackle, a 20-year old Emory University student, who was kidnapped and buried alive northeast of Atlanta.  She was put in a fiberglas box with water, sedatives and a couple of air tubes.  She was the daughter of a wealthy Florida real estate developer. 

The kidnappers demanded money and received half a million dollars. They telephoned vague directions to Barbara Jane's location, and the FBI finally found her after she had been buried for three days.  It was quite a notorious case at the time.  It gives me chills to think about it.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Jasmine on November 14, 2012, 07:58:56 PM
LOL! Good 70's TV series combo ya came up with there. Oh! McMillan and Wife has a groovy, far out devil cult episode, ya say? I'll have to source that. Thanks.

And, HorrorRetro...The Waltons had a POLTERGEIST episode? The WALTONS? You're putting me on, right?

Yep, the squeaky clean Waltons had a poltergeist up on Walton's Mountain.  ;D  I think the episode is called the Changeling.  The episode used to be on YouTube, but now I can only find clips.  :-[

Jasmine

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 14, 2012, 08:55:29 PM
Those buried alive stories in the early seventies were prompted by the 1968 true case of Barbara Jane Mackle, a 20-year old Emory University student, who was kidnapped and buried alive northeast of Atlanta.  She was put in a fiberglas box with water, sedatives and a couple of air tubes.  She was the daughter of a wealthy Florida real estate developer. 

The kidnappers demanded money and received half a million dollars. They telephoned vague directions to Barbara Jane's location, and the FBI finally found her after she had been buried for three days.  It was quite a notorious case at the time.  It gives me chills to think about it.

An exceedingly chilling and notorious case, indeed. I read the account of this horrific kidnapping in a Reader's Digest article when I was 10 years old. I believe the article was entitled "83 Hours Till Dawn". It literally gave me nightmares, and watching the 1972 TV film here, "The Longest Night" was equally disturbing.