• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

McPhallus

You've heard his spoof of Art Bell, right?  It's on Youtube if you haven't.  It's very short, but he does a good job of nailing him.  I've heard him bash the topic of UFOs a few times, but if you listen closely, Savage's belief systems contains an element of the supernatural.

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 05, 2011, 01:05:55 AM
I think Savage is jealous of the mainstream, major success of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, and Noory. Instead of attacking L, H, or B, Savage should switch to idiot Noory. Guess Noory is that much of a non factor in the radio business.

Savage is entertaining. That`s why he`s so successful. He has a way of talking to his audience that appeals to them without coming off as too condescending, even though he IS terribly arrogant and self-centered.

I don`t like it when he goes off on a far-right tangent, but I just LOVE his stories and random thought streams.

morphiaflow

I don't agree with Savage much in his political or social views, but he is indeed entertaining, and intelligent, and does tell great stories. He stands out from the neocon windbag shill pack as the one I could probably have a real conversation with about things OTHER than politics--and I think part of why he stands out from that pack is that he's not part of it. He stands UP to it. He wants no connection to it. I love it when he goes off on Limbaugh (the windbag) or Hannity (the Leprechaun) especially when he notes that they and others have stolen his material and that they never, ever acknowledge him for anything. (He's also the only one on that side of the fence to give ANY credence to environmental and animal welfare concerns). So even though I don't agree with him much, I like and respect him.

Having said that my respect for him has been sorely tested recently. In the buildup to the hurricane on the east coast a few weeks ago, he was deriding all the panic/preparation as far left liberal paranoid fear-mongering meant to further the nanny state, including the recommendations that people evacuate their homes in preparation for the storm, and that the "real men" of his father's generation toughed out such natural disasters and all the mayors and governors were overreacting by erring on the side of caution. THAT, I have to say, was a bit much for me. I won't necessarily stop listening to him, but I'll always have that caveat now.

OilyManatee

A local station carried him a few years ago, and I listened on my way to work (a 20 minute ride). I enjoyed his energy, it was fun hearing him pissed off. Yes, he was eager for war and he rode the good cop bad cop party game, but there were some entertaining times he completely dropped politics.

McPhallus

OMG, this guy is fucking awful.  Whenever I hear that weird East Coast accident, I know I'm in for sanctimonious, humorless blathering peppered with gratuitous doses of swinging from Savage's nut sack.  I can't listen to two minutes of him

Eddie Coyle

He sounds like a Dan Ackroyd bit on SNL. He truly is awful and one-note. "OH-Bawma is a Commu-nissed"

fabucat

Quote from: McPhallus on September 26, 2011, 04:16:17 PM
OMG, this guy is fucking awful.  Whenever I hear that weird East Coast accident, I know I'm in for sanctimonious, humorless blathering peppered with gratuitous doses of swinging from Savage's nut sack.  I can't listen to two minutes of him
Kuehner used to have a local show here in DC which was Gawdawful.  He was a total bigot of course, but he didn't do it with flair, the way Savage does.  He'd have on this lady as a special guest from some think tank called something like "The American Freedom Institute."  The lady was on a lot and was practically his only guest.  Turns out said lady was Kuehner's wife and she was the one and only employee of this "Think Tank."  Kuehner also trashed Limbaugh aplenty and claimed that he was a lot better.  He also warned Limbaugh that he was going to take him down and take his place.  I hate Limbaugh's politics, but even this pinko realizes that Rush is a real radio talent, while Kuehner is just the talk radio analog of male impotence.  He lost his show soon thereafter, probably because he drove away his natural audience when he slandered their hero.  Totally retarded move.  Kuehner still writes editorials for the Washington Times, if any of you care. 

K

The General

His accent is weird.  I can't figure out if he's foreign or has a speech impediment.  That's not any east coast accent I've ever heard.

M Knight

Quote from: The General on September 27, 2011, 09:10:54 AM
His accent is weird.  I can't figure out if he's foreign or has a speech impediment.  That's not any east coast accent I've ever heard.

He sounds a lot like Grandpa Munster.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on September 27, 2011, 09:10:54 AM

Canadian, the son of European immigrants from what I've heard. Sounds like a SCTV creation.

fabucat

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 27, 2011, 02:10:34 PM
   Canadian, the son of European immigrants from what I've heard. Sounds like a SCTV creation.

The strains of Southpark's "Blame Canada" are beginning to play in my head!

The General

Savage is my guy, I love his radio show, but lately... 

I really have been let down with some of his antics.  A few weeks ago, before Cain dropped out of the race, Savage promoted Cain's appearance on his show for a few days, saying that there would be a major announcement from Cain during the interview.  There was none.  It was a just a ratings pitch.  The interview was pedestrian and there was no major announcement of any kind.  Savage tried to spin it later saying that the major announcement was that he wouldn't consider a VP slot.  How is that a major announcement?  Savage never used to do that kind of thing.

Then, just this week, he promoted on his website over the weekend that he was going to offer 1 Million dollars to Gingrich to drop out of the race, Drudge put it up as a main headline for a few hours, it was a big buzz... then Monday's show came and went without even a mention of the Million dollar offer.  WTF Savage?  He's starting to piss me off. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on December 14, 2011, 03:13:02 PM

Then, just this week, he promoted on his website over the weekend that he was going to offer 1 Million dollars to Gingrich to drop out of the race, Drudge put it up as a main headline for a few hours, it was a big buzz... then Monday's show came and went without even a mention of the Million dollar offer.  WTF Savage?  He's starting to piss me off.

Savage, from what I can tell, is nearing the end of his run and these stunts you reference may be a sign. He turns 70 in March and despises Masters/TRN and wouldn't surprise me if he discontinues his show in the coming months. He seems burnt out- the Gingrich offer was a publicity stunt that flopped. It's telling that Savage and his nemesis Beck are in league trying to sink Gingrich by any means possible.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 14, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
      Savage, from what I can tell, is nearing the end of his run and these stunts you reference may be a sign. He turns 70 in March and despises Masters/TRN and wouldn't surprise me if he discontinues his show in the coming months. He seems burnt out- the Gingrich offer was a publicity stunt that flopped. It's telling that Savage and his nemesis Beck are in league trying to sink Gingrich by any means possible.
You might be right.  But he's so unpredictable and moody, that it's hard to tell if he's just in a slump or if he really is winding down.  I thought he was winding down when he got kicked off TV.  I thought the UK ban would be the end of him.  But he keeps going on and on and on.  I thought when his mother died 8 years ago that he would slowly wind down.  So I don't know.  But he's not getting any younger and he's going to wrap it up sometime.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on December 14, 2011, 05:10:32 PM
You might be right.  But he's so unpredictable and moody, that it's hard to tell if he's just in a slump or if he really is winding down.  I thought he was winding down when he got kicked off TV.  I thought the UK ban would be the end of him.  But he keeps going on and on and on.  I thought when his mother died 8 years ago that he would slowly wind down.  So I don't know.  But he's not getting any younger and he's going to wrap it up sometime.
That's the thing...there have been about five occasions since 2002 where it seemed he was on the verge of leaving. It's his schizophrenic nature, highs and lows-come without warning and then everything is fine again.

I haven't listened to him since last winter, but I'm guessing he's still ambivalent on Ron Paul. Savage turned on Buchanan after the "Unnecessary War" book in 2008, and since Ron Paul shares Buchanan's foreign policy vis a vis Israel, Savage will never fully endorse him.

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 15, 2011, 12:03:38 AM
         That's the thing...there have been about five occasions since 2002 where it seemed he was on the verge of leaving. It's his schizophrenic nature, highs and lows-come without warning and then everything is fine again.

I haven't listened to him since last winter, but I'm guessing he's still ambivalent on Ron Paul. Savage turned on Buchanan after the "Unnecessary War" book in 2008, and since Ron Paul shares Buchanan's foreign policy vis a vis Israel, Savage will never fully endorse him.
Actually he's warmed up to Ron Paul a lot.  He said of the last few debates that he found himself cheering for Bachman and Paul. 

QuestingElf

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 17, 2011, 11:40:21 AM
   Savage's fans should google the phrase "Vital Signs"...

Ironically, "Vital Signs" is a song by the group that shares a name with another prominent talk show host -- Rush!  (Talk about "The Spirit of Radio," esp. as Savage now boasts being #2 in online streaming.)

Incidentally, my favorite line from this song which is quite Savage-esque is the ending chorus, "Everybody got to elevate from the norm."  (Including that one time when singer Geddy Lee mistakenly sings "evelate.")

Bob and Doug's Geddy Lee?? 

The General

Quote from: The General on December 15, 2011, 01:04:13 AM
Actually he's warmed up to Ron Paul a lot.  He said of the last few debates that he found himself cheering for Bachman and Paul.
Geez, nevermind.  He's been doing everything he can do discredit Ron Paul this week. That's Savage for you.  He's fluid like that. 

EnterDragon

Whenever Savage brings up an alternative topic he claims he will try not to make his show sound like a night time radio show, and he always mentions a topic that was spoken about on C2C the night before! Savage is a C2C fan I think.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on December 30, 2011, 12:32:52 PM
Geez, nevermind.  He's been doing everything he can do discredit Ron Paul this week. That's Savage for you.  He's fluid like that.

The war drums towards Iran(and Syria) are beating louder lately, and that brings Savage's fundamental differences with Paul to the fore. That's probably fueling it..

testpattern

Wowzee... I had never heard of "Vital Signs" before now. But I had always figured that there was a self-loathing aspect to his venomous anti-gay ranting, particularly since he had earlier ties with the Berkeley crowd (in the 60s). Funny that he works for self-loathing people as well- the "Masters" are actually "Obermeister" in lineage, but never care to discuss their Jewish background. Guess the same goes for "Wiener".

I have many times listened for entertainment purposes, but feel the guy is full of shit and likely clinically insane. Sadly, age is only going to make it worse.   

McPhallus

I noticed he's now doing those "work from home" ads (aka Herbalife) and reading the same script those ads always use.  Shame!

The General

Quote from: testpattern on March 27, 2012, 02:47:30 AM
Wowzee... I had never heard of "Vital Signs" before now. But I had always figured that there was a self-loathing aspect to his venomous anti-gay ranting, particularly since he had earlier ties with the Berkeley crowd (in the 60s). Funny that he works for self-loathing people as well- the "Masters" are actually "Obermeister" in lineage, but never care to discuss their Jewish background. Guess the same goes for "Wiener".

I have many times listened for entertainment purposes, but feel the guy is full of shit and likely clinically insane. Sadly, age is only going to make it worse.
Any other Jews you hate, or just these guys?

aldousburbank

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 14, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
      Savage, from what I can tell, is nearing the end of his run and these stunts you reference may be a sign.

Savage has done the savage thing, from what I can tell.  He did it well.  I would not be surprised if he played it smart and put away the microphone while it's still warm and alive.  I really enjoy his show  because of the obvious fact that he's off his nutsack.  I hated him at first, how he choked down every caller with his own brash filibuster.  Eventually I came to recognize that he resembles my best friends; overly-alive people with whom I disagree mostly, but enjoy at the times of my choosing.

testpattern

Quote from: The General on March 27, 2012, 06:05:57 AM
Any other Jews you hate, or just these guys?

Wow, you certainly turned that it into something absurd. Pointing out that someone is self-loathing is just that; it means nothing more. Hatred is not something I harbor for anyone, much less based upon one's heritage (or sexuality for that matter). I will admit that I do have little patience with people who make unwarranted, asinine, accusatory statements, however.

The General

Quote from: testpattern on March 31, 2012, 03:58:46 AM
Wow, you certainly turned that it into something absurd. Pointing out that someone is self-loathing is just that; it means nothing more. Hatred is not something I harbor for anyone, much less based upon one's heritage (or sexuality for that matter). I will admit that I do have little patience with people who make unwarranted, asinine, accusatory statements, however.

I just found it really interesting that you would zero in on the Jewish aspect.  I find it telling.  And the way you frame it, as though they are "Secret Jews."  Both HAVE discussed it, at length, and have not hidden it as you were trying to indicate, nor would they.  The concept of the self-loathing Jew is just an entirely bogus bit of rhetoric usually used by a fellow Jew to marginalize a political opponent, or a slander used by an anti-semite.  It is an inflammatory term when ascribed to Jews, and it dates back to 1930's Germany.  So I'm not sure why you would be surprised at my reaction.

Zircon

Quote from: M. Knight on March 17, 2011, 12:02:00 PM
It is wax.

Wax huh? Whoever did up Michael is a damn good mortician.

Zircon

Michael Weiner is a typical leftist who went right because there was more money to be made by adopting the conservative platform. He is in bad need of a therapist as he is a fucking psychotic loud mouth.

analog kid

Quote from: QuestingElf on December 26, 2011, 01:26:51 AM
Ironically, "Vital Signs" is a song by the group that shares a name with another prominent talk show host -- Rush!  (Talk about "The Spirit of Radio," esp. as Savage now boasts being #2 in online streaming.)

Incidentally, my favorite line from this song which is quite Savage-esque is the ending chorus, "Everybody got to elevate from the norm."  (Including that one time when singer Geddy Lee mistakenly sings "evelate.")

Didn't they just force Rush to stop playing their music during his show?