• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
Quote from: El Chorro on April 21, 2018, 12:02:38 AM
Art will always appear the bad guy in their relationship. It's just the difference in their public personalities. I know MV asked George in the last Bellgab why it seemed Art was the angrier one, and George said he'd respond one day. There may be behind-the-scenes valid reasons, but to the casual listener Art comes off poorly...especially now that George is killing with kindness. They're like the Snow and Heat Misers.

Probably because Art didn't care for George's handling of the show, and George had no reason not to be on good terms.

ONeill

Quote from: Morgus on April 20, 2018, 12:01:32 AM
Seems like instead of Hoagie they got his coauthor Mike Bara instead?

Whoever thought of this fraudulent fuckturd as a good guest for Art's tribute is a true genius. As I recall Dave writes blurbs for his fantasy novels sold as science books, that's the genius in question likely.

I would have expected Ian to make an appearance, for a variety of reasons. 

Even if he had plans he couldn't get out of (in the middle of the night?), he could have recorded something.  Seems strange.

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 21, 2018, 01:46:23 AM
I would have expected Ian to make an appearance, for a variety of reasons. 

Even if he had plans he couldn't get out of (in the middle of the night?), he could have recorded something.  Seems strange.

He was on the night after Art died.

Jojo

Quote from: grano salis on April 20, 2018, 01:33:12 AM
I will gladly put you and your gainful employment  in my thoughts and prayers...
Please include me too!

Dateline

Trivia:

What did Norry and Art have in common:

1.  They both hosted Coast.

2.  They both had alleged stalkers.  Norry's alleged stalker was in love with him, and Art's not so much.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dateline on April 21, 2018, 12:35:30 PM
Trivia:

What did Norry and Art have in common:

1.  They both hosted Coast.

2.  They both had alleged stalkers.  Norry's alleged stalker was in love with him, and Art's not so much.
Firecrackers have feelings, too.

Uncle Duke

Listened to the the AB tribute show this afternoon, thought it was well done overall.  A few comments:

1). I had never heard either the guy flying into Area 51 or Mel's Hole segments, only heard of/about them.  I can't believe anyone took them seriously at the time they were broadcast.

2). I was deeply touched by Bell's telling of the death of Ramona.  C2C staff is to be commended for playing that segment.

3). I had also never heard/heard of the story of Bell gluing his lips together.  Another example of the double standard here for AB and GN I've mentioned in the past.  Had George glued his lips together while doing C2C live, it would be a constant source of ridicule with endless memes and the odd avatar.  Conversely, had Bell burned himself on a Pizza Roll, the site would have been populated with a number of "get well Art" messages and would have not been used to poke fun at him.

4) It will be interesting to see if Heather comments on Brinkley's claim that the Area 51 foolishness was Bell's idea.  I said it was immediately after hearing about it.

5) Art Bell was the finest radio interviewer I have ever heard, I doubt there will ever be another like him.

RIP Art Bell

ShayP

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 21, 2018, 05:23:11 PM
Listened to the the AB tribute show this afternoon, thought it was well done overall.  A few comments:

1). I had never heard either the guy flying into Area 51 or Mel's Hole segments, only heard of/about them.  I can't believe anyone took them seriously at the time they were broadcast.

2). I was deeply touched by Bell's telling of the death of Ramona.  C2C staff is to be commended for playing that segment.

3). I had also never heard/heard of the story of Bell gluing his lips together.  Another example of the double standard here for AB and GN I've mentioned in the past.  Had George glued his lips together while doing C2C live, it would be a constant source of ridicule with endless memes and the odd avatar.  Conversely, had Bell burned himself on a Pizza Roll, the site would have been populated with a number of "get well Art" messages and would have not been used to poke fun at him.

4) It will be interesting to see if Heather comments on Brinkley's claim that the Area 51 foolishness was Bell's idea.  I said it was immediately after hearing about it.

5) Art Bell was the finest radio interviewer I have ever heard, I doubt there will ever be another like him.

RIP Art Bell

Duke, I'm somewhat surprised you haven't heard the segments you mentioned.  Nonetheless, regarding #3, you have a valid point.  Noory wouldn't get the same treatment as Art.  There are reasons why though.  I doubt there is any reason to list the opinions as to why because this entire thread has touched on them over many years...as you well know.

Playing #2 was great.  I thought the entire tribute was good.  Better than expected.

Art Bell was one of a kind and one can't help but think he could've done even more, and I'm not talking MITD either.  He could've done anything involving radio at any level.  I wonder why he never taught the craft on a technical basis.  Maybe he did and I am not aware of it.

Indeed, he was a fine interviewer.  I will agree with you as him being the finest I've ever heard.

Cheers Uncle Duke!

albrecht

RIP Art Bell
3) Norry had a few times where he tried some self-depreciating stories to engage himself with the audience but, as you say, they weren't effective for many here and were ridiculed and laughed at.
Examples:
1) pizza roll incident
2) stepping into a deep, water-filled pothole in Austin (some joke that Alex pushed him.) This bit was further extended to include him having to hang out in the hotel room without clothes while Tommee went out to buy in some new clothes.
3) accidentally shaving off half of his mustache ("his trademark.")
There likely were some more but those off the top of my head.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ShayP on April 21, 2018, 06:33:15 PM
Duke, I'm somewhat surprised you haven't heard the segments you mentioned.  Nonetheless, regarding #3, you have a valid point.  Noory wouldn't get the same treatment as Art.  There are reasons why though.  I doubt there is any reason to list the opinions as to why because this entire thread has touched on them over many years...as you well know.

Playing #2 was great.  I thought the entire tribute was good.  Better than expected.

Art Bell was one of a kind and one can't help but think he could've done even more, and I'm not talking MITD either.  He could've done anything involving radio at any level.  I wonder why he never taught the craft on a technical basis.  Maybe he did and I am not aware of it.

Indeed, he was a fine interviewer.  I will agree with you as him being the finest I've ever heard.

Cheers Uncle Duke!

A great deal of the late 90's I spent out of the country, and when I was here I heard only the last hour of most shows as I was getting ready for work. I bought my CCWitness only after George took over C2C.  Since retiring and then finding all the internet channels (at least eight at last count) that play old Bell shows, I have gotten to hear a fair sampling of them, but usually for no more than an hour or so at a time. I'm not a binge guy, and wouldn't have the time to do so even if I was. 

As for Norry v. Bell, I think Noory's biggest fault for many after taking over C2C was he wasn't Art Bell.  It was, and remains for many, a classic case of what I call Gene Bartow Syndrome.  Heather is a victim of this a well.  Not saying the two of them don't have their shortcomings, but when you are measured against a legend it's tough sledding. 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 21, 2018, 07:44:32 PM
A great deal of the late 90's I spent out of the country, and when I was here I heard only the last hour of most shows as I was getting ready for work. I bought my CCWitness only after George took over C2C.  Since retiring and then finding all the internet channels (at least eight at last count) that play old Bell shows, I have gotten to hear a fair sampling of them, but usually for no more than an hour or so at a time. I'm not a binge guy, and wouldn't have the time to do so even if I was. 

As for Norry v. Bell, I think Noory's biggest fault for many after taking over C2C was he wasn't Art Bell.  It was, and remains for many, a classic case of what I call Gene Bartow Syndrome.  Heather is a victim of this a well.  Not saying the two of them don't have their shortcomings, but when you are measured against a legend it's tough sledding.
I agree, mostly. I had the opposite experience. I listened to Art in the 90's and then was out of the country for much of the 2000's and so when got back cranked up the old radio and was "WTF with this new host, Norry?" Following a legend is hard. Norry shows up and what more is really a concern for a bankrupted, or near so, media empire considering the late night market?

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2018, 08:26:22 PM
I agree, mostly. I had the opposite experience. I listened to Art in the 90's and then was out of the country for much of the 2000's and so when got back cranked up the old radio and was "WTF with this new host, Norry?" Following a legend is hard. Norry shows up and what more is really a concern for a bankrupted, or near so, media empire considering the late night market?
Were you and Duke out of the country because there was a lack of jobs here?  Thats what happened to a relative of mine.

Whe the C2CAM website says an old Bell.show is on from 6PM to 10PM, how do I know what channel to turn my radio to?

Juan

Gene Bartow syndrome is exactly correct. Not every institution can find a Joe B. Hall.

CoolTen10

RIP Art Bell

Clyde Lewis will be the next AB.

grano salis

I had never heard either the guy flying into Area 51 or Mel's Hole segments, only heard of/about them.  I can't believe anyone took them seriously at the time they were broadcast.

I was deeply touched by Bell's telling of the death of Ramona.  C2C staff is to be commended for playing that segment.

Art Bell was the finest radio interviewer I have ever heard, I doubt there will ever be another like him.

RIP Art Bell

I have to thank you Duke for bringing up Art's broadcast  about  Ramona's death.  That was for me, the high point of the C2C tribute.  Art's telling of her passing answered a good many questions I had previously about her death.  They must have had a terrific time together as he was building his Dreamland and C2C empire and in their life's journey in general.  Prior to being on this site and listening to MVs interview with Art circa 2016, and one other vicarious source, I also had no idea that Ramona had been a career broadcaster herself.

Back in the 90s during family trips to the 100+ year old "cabin" in a remote part of Colorado, we would listen to Chancellor broadcasting tapes.  Family favorites were Father Malachi, MIB, John Lear (Learjet progeny), Nick Beigich--largely due to his claims about alien "bases" in the remote Rockies near Santa Fe.  The combination of remote exquisite high mountain scenery, meteor showers and lonely narrow roads + Art's mellifluous broadcast voice and provocative guests was innocently addictive.   

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jojo on April 22, 2018, 02:03:39 AM
Were you and Duke out of the country because there was a lack of jobs here?  Thats what happened to a relative of mine.

Whe the C2CAM website says an old Bell.show is on from 6PM to 10PM, how do I know what channel to turn my radio to?

I can't speak for my friend albrecht, but I was out of the country because of too much job here.

You ever think George gets a little jealous that no one will make a "Ultimate George Noory Collection" archive of tapes?

ShayP

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on April 22, 2018, 01:38:01 PM
You ever think George gets a little jealous that no one will make a "Ultimate George Noory Collection" archive of tapes?

His Mom probably has been recording them since day one. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on April 22, 2018, 02:37:32 PM
His Mom probably has been recording them since day one.

She taught him how to play baseball

Sean92008

Quote from: CoolTen10 on April 22, 2018, 06:50:32 AM
Clyde Lewis will be the next AB.
He's a Mormon Kool Aid drinker, the flavor is grape.

Sean92008

3). I had also never heard/heard of the story of Bell gluing his lips together.  Another example of the double standard here for AB and GN I've mentioned in the past.  Had George glued his lips together while doing C2C live, it would be a constant source of ridicule with endless memes and the odd avatar. 

The point is that Art was immediately making note of it on air, willing to laugh at himself, that connection he made with us was part of the package. 

To visualize it in the theater of the mind, it's vaudevillian.  What a klutz!

That, along with the well-read and genuinely conducive host, connecting his guests with his audience, well it was comedy.

If he were as intellectually lazy as Snoory, it would have been a different story.

To analogize, it's funny when Paul McCartney forgets the intro to a song... It's not when the guy you hired to play your wedding forgets a song...

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on April 22, 2018, 02:03:39 AM
Were you and Duke out of the country because there was a lack of jobs here?  Thats what happened to a relative of mine.

No. Far from it, the amount of jobs here allowed me the opportunity to work and live abroad.

albrecht

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 22, 2018, 05:34:36 PM
The point is that Art was immediately making note of it on air, willing to laugh at himself, that connection he made with us was part of the package. 

To visualize it in the theater of the mind, it's vaudevillian.  What a klutz!

That, along with the well-read and genuinely conducive host, connecting his guests with his audience, well it was comedy.

If he were as intellectually lazy as Snoory, it would have been a different story.

To analogize, it's funny when Paul McCartney forgets the intro to a song... It's not when the guy you hired to play your wedding forgets a song...
I seem to recall a night in which Art said he was eating a light bulb?

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on April 22, 2018, 05:39:26 PM
I seem to recall a night in which Art said he was eating a light bulb?
As do I.  And that stunt was dumb.

ItsTelly

Quote from: Dateline on April 21, 2018, 12:35:30 PM

Noory had a stalker?  First I heard of this..please do tell?

Telly

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on April 22, 2018, 05:47:46 PM
As do I.  And that stunt was dumb.
Even the greats have their nights. It was something some "morning zoo" show might do, pretty lame.