• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

USSC Justice Scalia Dead at 79

Started by VtaGeezer, February 13, 2016, 04:13:01 PM

VtaGeezer

Found dead at a TX resort.  This will mean thermonuclear appointment war, and its likely McConnell won't allow a vote unless a Repub wins in Nov.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 13, 2016, 04:13:01 PM
Found dead at a TX resort.  This will mean thermonuclear appointment war, and its likely McConnell won't allow a vote unless a Repub wins in Nov.

No kidding. I'm shocked.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 13, 2016, 04:15:27 PM
No kidding. I'm shocked.
I mean McConnell won't EVER allow a confirmation vote unless its by a Republican.

onan

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 13, 2016, 04:18:41 PM
I mean McConnell won't EVER allow a confirmation vote unless its by a Republican.

We can hope for another heart attack.

onan

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 13, 2016, 04:22:14 PM
Yeah, Obamas.

Yeah, maybe, but I'm betting Mitch is closer to the grim reaper.

Well this will certainly change the tone of the Election.  This election is more critical than ever.  A conservative must win.

Jackstar

I'll miss him. I certainly didn't agree with him often, but his personality was an interesting one.

It was awfully considerate of him to die on a Saturday.

Too bad.   Good man...........

As I recall he was confirmed 98 to 0.  Some how I suspect his replacement won't breeze thru so easily

Quote from: onan on February 13, 2016, 04:23:53 PM

Yep. Don't get me wrong.  I won't cry if McConnell bites the dust but if he will fight Obama on this matter, I hope he will hold out until January.  I'm devastated.  He was a great scholar and justice.

onan

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 13, 2016, 04:26:53 PM
Yep. Don't get me wrong.  I won't cry if McConnell bites the dust but if he will fight Obama on this matter, I hope he will hold out until January.

To be candid, I am quite sure his family is grieving. And for that, I have some sympathy for them. But I will never forgive him for his position on money and speech. I will always remember the connections to money he had. He wasn't a good supreme court justice.

Rix Gins

Quote from: onan on February 13, 2016, 04:23:53 PM

Or Ruth "Bad Girl" Ginsburg.

onan

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 13, 2016, 04:32:00 PM

Ruth does have 10 years on Mitch, with the ~8 year advantage to Ruth, it might be a tie. Close call definitely goes to Mconnell.

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 13, 2016, 04:32:00 PM

Have no fear - Ruth's immortal.  Nothing phases her - colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, bad heart - she just keeps on ticking.

Quote from: onan on February 13, 2016, 04:29:46 PM
To be candid, I am quite sure his family is grieving. And for that, I have some sympathy for them. But I will never forgive him for his position on money and speech. I will always remember the connections to money he had. He wasn't a good supreme court justice.

I don't recall that decision very well but I concede to your point on that.  However, he made many excellent decisions and for that I am grateful.

Rix Gins

So, can we expect a first ever appointment to the Supreme Court by executive action?

Has there historically (hysterically) ever been a president who's had so many appointees blocked or stalled?  Food for thought....

ge30542

The last thing I want is Obama appointing another Justice.

ge30542

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 13, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
So, can we expect a first ever appointment to the Supreme Court by executive action?
HA! Excellent! It is surely just around the corner.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 13, 2016, 04:59:50 PM
Has there historically (hysterically) ever been a president who's had so many appointees blocked or stalled?  Food for thought....

Sure.....    Check out Grover Cleveland or even more recently G.W. Bush.

ge30542

Debate tonight. Candidates try and "out-conservative" each other.
Johnny Carson once had a funny line, "Alan Alda and Phil Donahue are backstage having a fist fight over who's more sensitive".

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 13, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
Not unless another Bush is elected.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 13, 2016, 05:10:29 PM
Sure.....    Check out Grover Cleveland or even more recently G.W. Bush.

According to a 2013 WSJ report, 35 of 52 GW Bush appointees were confirmed; 30 of 42 Obama appointees were confirmed.  Statistically pretty close.  The federal government has been turned into acidic molasses with growing divisiveness.

Roswells, Art

He's the one that voted in favor of Citizens United? Ug. Does anyone here think that was a good idea?

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 13, 2016, 05:23:01 PM
According to a 2013 WSJ report, 35 of 52 GW Bush appointees were confirmed; 30 of 42 Obama appointees were confirmed.  Statistically pretty close.  The federal government has been turned into acidic molasses with growing divisiveness.

No argument there. 

albrecht

I wonder how they killed him. Looking forward to conspiracy theories. It is a shame that a single court holds so much power over society, in that I agree with Jefferson, but will be interesting times when it comes to appointments. I also hope all autopsy information is made public.

onan

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:38:43 PM
I wonder how they killed him. Looking forward to conspiracy theories. It is a shame that a single court holds so much power over society, in that I agree with Jefferson, but will be interesting times when it comes to appointments. I also hope all autopsy information is made public.

I was actually betting on a shotgun accident.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 13, 2016, 04:25:50 PM
Too bad.   Good man...........

As I recall he was confirmed 98 to 0.  Some how I suspect his replacement won't breeze thru so easily

I agree.  A potent pivot point across the board during the election and beyond.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on February 13, 2016, 05:40:15 PM
I was actually betting on a shotgun accident.
Same here. Where was Cheney?
I hope they release the autopsy and details and I look forward to some callers/guests on C2C, MITD, etc with some elaborate theories.
I do find it 'interesting' that his death happened so soon after the decision to temporarily block Obama's 'war on coal' EPA demands and the possibility of the Court later killing it and what that would mean for his 'warming' change agreement discussed in Paris a bit ago.

What a shock. Antonin Scalia was one of my favorite Justices of all-time. A rock ribbed conservative, a man of God, and an interesting character. May God bless his soul.

Now, let's see if Caesar Obama executive orders Bill Ayers into the Supreme Court.