• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

The great Chris Hedges speaks about celebrities. He says they are used by the corporate oligarchy to distract the people!

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20090713_the_man_in_the_mirror

In celebrity culture we destroy what we worship. The commercial exploitation of Michael Jackson’s death was orchestrated by the corporate forces that rendered Jackson insane. Jackson, robbed of his childhood and surrounded by vultures that preyed on his fears and weaknesses, was so consumed by self-loathing he carved his African-American face into an ever-changing Caucasian death mask and hid his apparent pedophilia behind a Peter Pan illusion of eternal childhood. He could not disentangle his public and his private self. He became a commodity, a product, one to be sold, used and manipulated. He was infected by the moral nihilism and personal disintegration that are at the core of our corporate culture. And his fantasies of eternal youth, delusions of majesty, and desperate, disfiguring quests for physical transformation were expressions of our own yearning. He was a reflection of us in the extreme.

His memorial serviceâ€"a variety show with a coffinâ€"had an estimated 31.1 million television viewers. The ceremony, which featured performances or tributes from Stevie Wonder, Brooke Shields and other celebrities, was carried live on 19 networks, including the major broadcast and cable news outlets. It was the final episode of the long-running Michael Jackson series. And it concluded with Jackson’s daughter, Paris, being prodded to stand in front of a microphone to speak about her father. Janet Jackson, before the girl could get a few words out, told Paris to “speak up.” As the child broke down, the adults around her adjusted the microphone so we could hear the sobs. The crowd clapped. It was a haunting echo of what destroyed her father.

The stories we like best are “real life” storiesâ€"early fame, wild success and then a long, bizarre and macabre emotional train wreck. O.J Simpson offered a tamer version of the same plot. So does Britney Spears. Jackson, by the end, was heavily in debt and had weathered a $22 million out-of-court settlement payment to Jordy Chandler, as well as seven counts of child sexual abuse and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent in order to commit a felony. We fed on his physical and psychological disintegration, especially since many Americans are struggling with their own descent into overwhelming debt, loss of status and personal disintegration.

The lurid drama of Jackson’s personal life meshed perfectly with the ongoing dramas on television, in movies and in the news. News thrives on “real life” stories, especially those involving celebrities. News reports on television are mini-dramas complete with a star, a villain, a supporting cast, a good-looking host and a dramatic, if often unexpected, ending. The public greedily consumed “news” about Jackson, especially in his exile and decline, which often outdid most works of fiction. In “Fahrenheit 451,” Ray Bradbury’s novel about a future dystopia, people spend most of the day watching giant television screens that show endless scenes of police chases and criminal apprehensions. Life, Bradbury understood, once it was packaged, scripted, given a narrative and filmed, became the most compelling form of entertainment. And Jackson was a great show. He deserved a great finale.

Those who created Jackson’s public persona and turned him into a piece of property, first as a child and finally as a corpse encased in a $15,000 gold-plated casket, are the agents, publicists, marketing people, promoters, script writers, television and movie producers, advertisers, video technicians, photographers, bodyguards, recording executives, wardrobe consultants, fitness trainers, pollsters, public announcers and television news personalities who create the vast stage of celebrity for profit. They are the puppet masters. No one achieves celebrity status, no cultural illusion is swallowed as reality, without these armies of cultural enablers and intermediaries. The producers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles made sure the 18,000 attendees and the television audience (even the BBC devoted three hours to the tribute) watched a funeral that was turned into another maudlin form of uplifting popular entertainment.

Advertisement

The memorial service for Jackson was a celebration of celebrity. There was the queasy sight of groups of children, including his own, singing over the coffin. Magic Johnson put in a plug for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Shields, fighting back tears, recalled how she and a 33-year-old Jacksonâ€"who always maintained that he was straightâ€"broke into Elizabeth Taylor’s room the night before her last wedding to “get the first peek of the [wedding] dress.” Shields and Jackson, at Taylor’s wedding, then joked that they were “the mother and father of the bride.”

“Yes, it may have seemed very odd to the outside,” Shields said, “but we made it fun and we made it real.”

There were photo montages in which a shot of Jackson shaking hands with Nelson Mandela was immediately followed by one of him with Kermit the Frog. Fame reduces all of the famous to the same level. Fame is its own denominator. And every anecdote seemed to confirm that when you spend your life as a celebrity, you have no idea who you are.

paladin1991

Sobitch (an old flip endearment), if you are a hybrid, who fucked the animal?   Mom or dad?  And were you birthed, welped, hatched or shat?

Asking for a friend.

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 28, 2016, 10:44:59 PM
Sobitch (an old flip endearment), if you are a hybrid, who fucked the animal?   Mom or dad?  And were you birthed, welped, hatched or shat?

Asking for a friend.

Um, I was actually born human. I'm just dressing up. Grrr. in Batman Begins, it is said one must more of a man in the eyes of an opponent. My opponents are Aswangs/Alpha Draconians, evil humans, and etc!

Here's my linkedin profile to know more about me!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevin-galasinao-97b2aab2

My guess is if Michael Jackson was still alive, KevinIsAHybrid  would probably be right at home at Jackson's Neverland.  Jackson would be enthralled with him. I can see MJ questioning him about all of his hybrid secrets and wanting to learn more.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 31, 2016, 09:08:30 AM
My guess is if Michael Jackson was still alive, KevinIsAHybrid  would probably be right at home at Jackson's Neverland.  Jackson would be enthralled with him. I can see MJ questioning him about all of his hybrid secrets and wanting to learn more.

Grrr, I would rip his dick off! And dance and stomp on him while singing thrilla!

Happy Halloween!

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on October 31, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
Grrr, I would rip his dick off! And dance and stomp on him while singing thrilla!

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween to you too, my friend. At least you won't have to bother putting on a costume. :D ;)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 31, 2016, 09:33:54 AM
Happy Halloween to you too, my friend. At least you won't have to bother putting on a costume. :D ;)

I'm going to dress up in Remembrance in honor of Canada's troops! I'm Filipino Canadian! I hate how the corporate oligarchy uses soldiers as chess pawns!

paladin1991

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on October 31, 2016, 09:03:37 AM
Here's my linkedin profile to know more about me!

Ummmm, yeah.  I think we all know enough about you without having to read your profile on linkedin.  What college do you go to?  I am going to contact the school admin and have them send over campus security to 'check your welfare.'

paladin1991

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on October 31, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
Grrr, I would rip his dick off!

And what?  Save it for a snack?

Jackstar

Janet Reno: dead from two plane crashes to the back of the head.

Ruled a suicide. RIP, #JusticeForElian

comaphobe

janet reno, you were a pig.

Juan

Janet Reno who put people in jail for many years by getting juries to fall for Satanic child abuse in the 80s.

albrecht

Janet Reno, dead. Condolences to Janet Napolitano.

Is this yet another convenient death amongst those around the Clintons?  Was she planning a November surprise for Hilary's campaign or some other disclosure?

Probably not, but it's the first thought people who lived through the first Clinton regime will have.

MV/Liberace!

rot.  i hope she suffered at the end.

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 03, 2016, 11:48:48 PM
Ummmm, yeah.  I think we all know enough about you without having to read your profile on linkedin.  What college do you go to?  I am going to contact the school admin and have them send over campus security to 'check your welfare.'

Actually I left BUMber Humber College. That schools sucks though. Those evil staff screw with the students.

One of the reasons I'm a superhero known is to strike FEAR into the profesors!

They're lucky I don't kidnap them and rewilding North America with dangerous animals like lions and tigers so I would hav them eaten!

Um, everybody thought I kept on turning up the HEAT!

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 03, 2016, 11:49:34 PM
And what?  Save it for a snack?

I'd feed it to an endangered dangerous animal! GRRR!

GravitySucks

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on November 07, 2016, 05:36:35 PM
Actually I left BUMber Humber College. That schools sucks though. Those evil staff screw with the students.

One of the reasons I'm a superhero known is to strike FEAR into the profesors!

They're lucky I don't kidnap them and rewilding North America with dangerous animals like lions and tigers so I would hav them eaten!

Um, everybody thought I kept on turning up the HEAT!

Kidnapping people is not nice. A self-respecting hybrid would not do that.

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 07, 2016, 05:39:56 PM
Kidnapping people is not nice. A self-respecting hybrid would not do that.

Grrr, I actually paid more than the average student. I completed the Pathways program!

[/img]

See, I passed that English placement test to be in English class. But the lady in the office said they FORGOT  to put me in the class. Grrr!

THEY STOLE MY MONEY!

THEY'R LUCKY I DON'T STEAL THEIR LIVES!

BEHOLD PLEISTONCENE REWILDING. I LOSE FAIITH IN SOCIETY, IN THE HUMN RACE! I FEEL LIKE BEING AMONG GOOD LIFEFORMS!

Even my professors died, it wouldn't celebrity deaths because those fartists artists aren't famous!

Go to my linkedin profile to know their names!

With an army of animals, North America would be mine!

paladin1991

Quote from: mv on November 07, 2016, 11:12:23 AM

Yep.  She put together the material and lists that would brand so many Americans 'Domestic Terrorists.'  Me included.

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 07, 2016, 06:57:13 PM
Yep.  She put together the material and lists that would brand so many Americans 'Domestic Terrorists.'  Me included.
You're right. I take back my condolences to Janet Napolitano.

Quote from: mv on November 07, 2016, 11:12:23 AM

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

ItsOver

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on November 07, 2016, 05:53:00 PM
...With an army of animals, North America would be mine!

Well, hell, of course.  That's always the case.

Quote from: Jackstar on November 07, 2016, 03:52:31 AM
Janet Reno: dead from two plane crashes to the back of the head.

Ruled a suicide. RIP, #JusticeForElian

Pig
Hack
Coward
Fascist
Thug
Murderer

In other words, a typical Clinton Cabinet member

WOTR

You won't find me posting here often... But Leonard Cohen.  :(

In honour of the recent election in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMxKgNbATo

Too many posts in this thread this year.

Memorable man, Leonard Cohen. 

WOTR

Quote from: Étouffée on November 10, 2016, 08:10:57 PM
Too many posts in this thread this year.

Memorable man, Leonard Cohen.
I believe that his reaction to the death of Marianne was recorded here on BG earlier this year.  He wrote in late July  'Well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine,"

I guess he knew the truth.