• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "Exposing PseudoAstronomy" Podcast

Started by astroguy, January 04, 2013, 12:51:45 AM

eeieeyeoh

Quote from: astroguy on February 02, 2014, 02:21:32 PM
The forum was called "CoastGab" when I originally joined several years ago.  Only when Art announced his return was it renamed.  I started this thread when I was encouraged to do so by members here.  I have maintained it since.  I don't see any reason to close it.  Don't like it, don't read it.

Sounds typical from the anti-George Noory Sucks crowd.

astroguy

Quote from: eeieeyeoh on February 02, 2014, 02:38:10 PM
Sounds typical from the anti-George Noory Sucks crowd.
I'm not anti-George Noory, nor anti-(George Noory Sucks).  I'm neutral with respect to him.  I think that he has some strong points and some not so strong.

eeieeyeoh

Quote from: astroguy on February 02, 2014, 03:13:33 PM
...  I think that he has some strong points ...

Please list the strong points.
I'd like a philosophical point of view Doctor.
Also the heads up about the 300 Hz high pass filter.

astroguy

Strengths:  Good at marketing himself and very clearly enjoys his work.  He also has a good radio presence and a soothing voice.

What do you mean about a 300 Hz high pass filter?  I just plotted a spectrum of my audio and I do see a dip of about 10 dB around 350 Hz, but it's a notch.  This was post noise removal though ... I need to find a new place to record because I'm surrounded by computer fans so always have to record a noise section and then remove it.  I am not a sound engineer by any means, though.

FWIW, I actually originally joined the forum because I was searching "The Googles" after a particularly credulous interview of Hoagland and I wanted to see if anyone was buying his crap.  I came here via stumbling upon the Is Richard C. Hoagland 100% delusional or only 99%? thread and mainly posted there for awhile.

1par·o·dy noun \ˈper-ə-dē, ˈpa-rə-\
: a piece of writing, music, etc., that imitates the style of someone or something else in an amusing way

And Lord knows I was amused. Why don't we give Astroguy a break here? It was a brilliant show, very funny, and it had to take time to get it just right. I would have been rolling on the floor laughing instead of taping, so I have nothing but admiration for the self-control of everyone involved. 

area51drone

I am really sorry, I tried to listen to episode 100 but the audio quality on your download sounds like you are in a tin can and I can't get through the first 10 minutes.   You have interesting content but I just can't stand bad audio.   Not sure why this is happening - I listened to some other casts and your audio was okay?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on February 03, 2014, 04:38:39 AM
1par·o·dy noun \ˈper-ə-dē, ˈpa-rə-\
: a piece of writing, music, etc., that imitates the style of someone or something else in an amusing way

And Lord knows I was amused. Why don't we give Astroguy a break here? It was a brilliant show, very funny, and it had to take time to get it just right. I would have been rolling on the floor laughing instead of taping, so I have nothing but admiration for the self-control of everyone involved.

^^^ This. Stuart is a good guy Eeieeyio: It's well worth listening to his previous podcasts to get the handle on him. And I've no idea what the nonsense about high pass filters is about. The output was fine.

b_dubb

Quote from: eeieeyeohSounds typical from the anti-George Noory Sucks crowd

if i were "anti-George Noory Sucks" i would be pro noory.  i'm not.  not really anti GN either.  i just think he's really bad at his job.  like ... reeeeeeeaaally bad

astroguy

area51drone -- Not sure.  I do need to find a better place to record, and EIEIO mentioned a 300 Hz cut-off, but when I plot out the spectrum of the audio, it doesn't look that way.  Perhaps I need to look into a different encoder.  Check out episode 1 ... THAT was tinny.

Unscreened Caller, York -- Thanks!

saucerlike

How could anyone not know that was a parody...?  I laughed out loud multiple times @episode 100.  Anyways, I haven't noticed anything about the audio that would keep me from listening.  And, I haven't listened to a lot of your shows, but of what I've heard I like it.  I found the episode on peer review pretty fascinating, always wondered what it's like to be a real scientist with real credentials and what it's like day to day.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: saucerlike on February 03, 2014, 04:02:39 PM
How could anyone not know that was a parody...?  I laughed out loud multiple times @episode 100.  Anyways, I haven't noticed anything about the audio that would keep me from listening.  And, I haven't listened to a lot of your shows, but of what I've heard I like it.  I found the episode on peer review pretty fascinating, always wondered what it's like to be a real scientist with real credentials and what it's like day to day.

I think most people know it's a parody; The ones who don't are being deliberately obtuse or they have bought so far into the whole CT BS they will believe anything wacko, is serious stuff.

astroguy

Quote from: saucerlike on February 03, 2014, 04:02:39 PM
Thanks!!

ziznak

Quote from: astroguy on February 03, 2014, 04:42:04 PM
Thanks!!
yeah I noticed some sort of crazy production goin on... you are actually writing and recording little bits now? 

astroguy

Quote from: ziznak on February 04, 2014, 12:34:52 AM
yeah I noticed some sort of crazy production goin on... you are actually writing and recording little bits now?
Maybe I'm tired, but what are you asking?

area51drone

Quote from: astroguy on February 03, 2014, 01:55:57 PM
area51drone -- Not sure.  I do need to find a better place to record, and EIEIO mentioned a 300 Hz cut-off, but when I plot out the spectrum of the audio, it doesn't look that way.  Perhaps I need to look into a different encoder.  Check out episode 1 ... THAT was tinny.

I think you're over analyzing it.  Don't view it through some spectrum analysis tool, just listen to it.   You should be able to post-process it and make it sound better before you release it.

FWIW, I found the material that I heard in episode 100 to be sort of "read".  It's difficult to have a conversational tone to reading.   If you are going to do something like this, and you want to do it well, you really need to put yourself in the shoes of Noory, write down bullet points and shoot from the hip, I think.   No offense.  I got the jokes, I just didn't think it was extremely well executed.

I'm a harsh critic though, and I haven't done 100 episodes of material, so WTF do I know.  Regardless, I applaud your effort.

astroguy

Interesting ... the only part I read was the opening 4-minute monologue.

area51drone

Quote from: astroguy on February 04, 2014, 12:52:49 AM
Interesting ... the only part I read was the opening 4-minute monologue.

That's the part I listened to! :)

ziznak

I'm just saying you have some tricks up your sleeve lately.  I know you write out a lot of your show already but there were a few things in there that were deliberate and separately produced... you putting a stand-up set together ? comedy goes well with some of the "space cadets" that you cover so I like it. turn it up.

you can really tell if you listen to your early stuff and then this latest 100th episode extravaganza!

eeieeyeoh

Quote from: astroguy on February 02, 2014, 11:29:59 PM
What do you mean about a 300 Hz high pass filter?  I just plotted a spectrum of my audio and I do see a dip of about 10 dB around 350 Hz, but it's a notch.  This was post noise removal though ...

Perhaps I was too harsh about 100th episode. I guess when listening, I was expecting more revelations of mysterys behind the "pseudo" part that direction of show seemed aimed in concept. I guess the science background philosophical interviewer of guests this time wasn't the plan.

A quiet studio to record your voice is by far the best way to sound natural like you're in the same room w/me. There really is no effective way to remove noise that's already in a signal or recording w/o seriously reducing the natural quality. Filters also add other distortions also most notably phase distortion defeating the majority of technology that went into microphone to have linear phase and amplitude response. A good windscreen won't reduce the quality of mic output, reduces wind and breath "pops", and already built into many microphones. Anything lower than a tone your voice can sustain in relation to a piano can be attenuated also to minimize noise if you bump mic or other room/building low frequency noise.

Also the SPL or loudness level of your voice seems to be lower than your guests at times. Sort of like instead of sitting around a table w/you and your guest, you moved over to the next table. It was all understandable when I'm near my loudspeakers, but in other room you sounded more distant and more difficult to hear.

I'm still looking forward to listening to episode 101 and some more of the older ones having enjoyed some already.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: astroguy on February 22, 2014, 04:47:00 PM
Chualar crop circle
Was claimed by many as "real."
Or, was it a stunt?

Episode 101, "The Chualar Barley Field Crop Circle and Reporting on it by Linda Moulton Howe" has been posted.

Another excellent podcast Stuart; Alarming that 25% of Americans think the Sun goes around the Earth though...

astroguy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 23, 2014, 03:49:27 AM
Another excellent podcast Stuart; Alarming that 25% of Americans think the Sun goes around the Earth though...
Thanks. And yes.

awake

Stuart,
Loved new episode, the whole idea that an advanced civilization would travel to our little planet and then leave us a cosmic "temporary tattoo" as a calling card is baffling.  The really interesting part of crop circles might be the a look at the people who are spending great deals of time "investigating" these pranks.

Regarding the survey, I'm a bit skeptical.  I get requests to participate in such things but I rarely take the time to do so, and tend to believe that I am not alone in my lack of participation.  I hope that people with viewpoints outside the mainstream are more likely to participate in a survey which would give a voice to their outlook, and that such surveys over represent the opinion of outliers. I know that people who develop polls say that they account for this but only Nate Silver, [size=78%]http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/[/size], was correct during the last election cycle so maybe they are off on this as well?[size=78%] [/size]

If this is not the case, then the percentage of 'Mericans who feel Earth is 6,000ish years old is catastrophically high.  Please see:  [size=78%]http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/06/01/gallup-poll-46-of-americans-are-creationists/[/size]

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 23, 2014, 03:49:27 AM

and here i thought the sun was some dude in a flaming chariot drawn by flaming horses...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: wr250 on February 24, 2014, 10:21:23 AM
and here i thought the sun was some dude in a flaming chariot drawn by flaming horses...

It is, isn't it?

astroguy

I think the poll is reasonably accurate given its consistency for as long as I've been seeing its results (many, many years) and my own bias about how stupid the general population is.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: astroguy on February 24, 2014, 03:32:11 PM
I think the poll is reasonably accurate given its consistency for as long as I've been seeing its results (many, many years) and my own bias about how stupid the general population is.

Now you're going to say angels and unicorns aren't real aren't you?

just checked this podcast out for the first time today (after seeing this thread)- really enjoyed it

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: astroguy on February 24, 2014, 03:44:26 PM
No comment.

Apartments on Mars? That has to be true.. A science advisor said so.