• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why do you still listen?

Started by jazmunda, April 08, 2014, 06:38:21 PM

jazmunda

We were discussing this on the GabCast yesterday. Why oh why, if you think that this hack George Noory sucks, do you continue to subject yourselves to such a fate night after night after night? Are you sadists? Or are you secretly in love with the mustachioed buffoon?

McPhallus

Quote from: jazmunda on April 08, 2014, 06:38:21 PM
We were discussing this on the GabCast yesterday. Why oh why, if you think that this hack George Noory sucks, do you continue to subject yourselves to such a fate night after night after night? Are you sadists? Or are you secretly in love with the mustachioed buffoon?

I actually don't.... I haven't since Art came back, and when he left again I didn't go back.  It didn't bother me when the new episodes became increasingly hard to find on YouTube.  Noory would occasionally, in spite of himself, have an interesting guest from time to time who would manage to say something interesting despite Noory's interviewing ("Even a broken clock.....")

ItsOver

I don't listen.  I battle him daily on this forum.  Someday victory will be ours.

I stopped listening to Noory months ago. There are better things out there on the radio at night, like dead air.

jazmunda

Quote from: ItsOver on April 08, 2014, 06:46:07 PM
I don't listen.  I battle him daily on this forum.  Someday victory will be ours.

Is there a tax deductible fund where we can send money to this most worthy of causes?

Nostalgia really. Takes me back to when I first discovered the show about a decade and my college years listening to it in the car going for smoke breaks from studying.

And Not much else on after midnight around here besides sports talk (UGH) and typical radio fare.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on April 08, 2014, 07:00:47 PM
Is there a tax deductible fund where we can send money to this most worthy of causes?
Just send any donations to MV.  I appreciate his efforts to provide us with this most excellent forum in support of our worthy cause.  GNS.  Art Bell uber alles!

bigchucka

It increases my chance of learning something from what I hear if I'm actually hearing something... If I got more interesting things to listen to, I listen to that.  If I think something might be interesting, I catch it live of find it later.

aldousburbank

I haven't listened to The George for longer than it's been since I've killed a man. And it's been a long time since I've killed a man. Were I to listen, I might kill again, and my first sentence would then again be true.

BobGrau

Haven't listened for at least a year, not even for a laugh. I've even been skipping the gns thread recently. Does that mean he's sucking less, or more?

zeebo

It's on reliably at 10pm Pacific Time every night, which is when I like to listen to live radio.  Usually it sucks, but often in a weirdly entertaining way.  Sometimes reading the GNS posts increases this warped entertainment.  Sometimes decent guests will overpower the host suckage.  Often I turn it off after twenty minutes and flip on a podcast or read a book. 

Of course I would prefer if Art was on, or G. Knapp, or someone new.  I like some of the podcast hosts I hear, but I still have a nolstalgic love of late night live radio which I can't seem to shake.  I'm utterly turned off to political talk shows so I don't have many choices.  I am however trying to migrate over to a DMRN-ish schedule but haven't quite been successful yet. 

What do all you guys do?  Obviously you wish c2c could be back in it's old form, but since that's fantasy how do you get your entertainments on?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: zeebo on April 09, 2014, 01:38:44 AM

What do all you guys do?  Obviously you wish c2c could be back in it's old form, but since that's fantasy how do you get your entertainments on?

So based on that; Listening to George Noory is better than nothing? Sticking wasps up my arse would be a step forward if he was the alternative. Masochism or like him or irrationality, has to be one or more of the three to make a conscious decision to listen to him.

1. Time Frame
This is a good time frame for me, I am still awake and thinking and this in the background winds me down. Anytime before 11pm and I listen to something else.

2. Consistency
Its always on with a live show. I listen to plenty of prerecorded radio of other shows, but I do enjoy a live show once in a while.

3. AM radio is convenient
A few times a week I am in my car late at night so I listen while driving. The rest of the time it is on in the background in the garage or while I am cleaning or washing dishes. I wouldn't leave a computer or a CD player on all the time, but an AM radio is fairly easy to leave on 24/7.

The news is repeats and not live. NPR is full of complainers and unskilled hosts and repeats.  I'm not interested in listening to 10 minutes of an audio book or news story while I wash dishes or do the laundry. Ten minutes of C2C, laugh, turn it off, works for me.

George speaks for about 4 minutes of every hour (40 minutes of programming). It is astonishing the amount of head scratchers, malapropisms, and general silliness  he pulls out in such a short talk time. If the show were just George talking, I wouldn't listen.

4. It fills up some of the loneliness all of us late-night people experience.

If you are sincere about understanding this, you should probably examine some of the things you quit listening too and never looked back on.
C2C would be one of those, but how about some other things?

For example, I don't watch or listen to basketball, and I haven't for something like 11 years. The tipping point for me was the organization of the game; I hate the last 30 minutes of commercials and free throws. I watched the Kings-Lakers playoffs in 2002 and felt the entire sport was rigged. So I just left and never came back.

I used to watch some world soccer with some friends, but after I moved and the friends were gone, I never watched or listened to soccer again.

Maybe C2C is like that for all of you, Art was your friend, and when your friend left you just lost all interest.

What are some of the things you have quit listening to, and what was the tipping point?

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 09, 2014, 06:37:24 AM

What are some of the things you have quit listening to, and what was the tipping point?

ummm *whispered tone* my wife

Grov505th

I used to listen as a time burner, It started when I was working nights and it helped pass the time. Then it turned into comedy and then I stopped.
tipping point was the cost  ( and like onan the wife said enough was enough)

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on April 08, 2014, 06:46:07 PM

YES!!!!!!  ITSOVER IS LEADING THE CHARGE!!!!!  You can't change things by running away.  And, as most of us who listen know, there ARE some great guests who TAKE OVER the interview......and, it's a great listening experience.  It happens.

zeebo

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 09, 2014, 04:40:00 AM
So based on that; Listening to George Noory is better than nothing? Sticking wasps up my arse would be a step forward if he was the alternative. Masochism or like him or irrationality, has to be one or more of the three to make a conscious decision to listen to him.

There are people on radio & tv who I actually have a visceral revulsion to.  People I can't look at or listen to in any way shape or form for any time.  People I really do loathe.  I can understand why some people hate Noory at that level, but for me I just don't quite have that level of disgust over the guy. 

Instead I see him as a bumbling fool who's fairly tolerable and in spite of his goofiness has occasionally entertaining shows - sometimes unintentionally entertaining, but the result is the same.  Of course I'd love to have a show I'm really truly passionate about like back in the golden age of Art, but I haven't found it yet, so I make do with what's available, and when it really sucks I turn everything off and read books.  That's why I've always got a stack of like 10 books next to my bed, there's alot of suckage out there, so I end up reading alot.

UFQuack

Nice try to get some of us to stop picking on him but I'm going to still photoshop his head on anything I can think of.

phrodo

I don't listen to Dave .. used to have Streamlink to pick and choose shows - mostly SIT ... but cancelled when the booking wars started during the brief Dark Matter era... if it can be called an era... maybe a burp or blip?

I prefer Dreamland ... and listen to the few available archives of those interspersed with VERY old/early C2C Art archives.

Sure wish there were Area 2000 archives available - never heard any of those if there are.

zeebo

Quote from: UFQuack on April 09, 2014, 11:28:28 PM
Nice try to get some of us to stop picking on him but I'm going to still photoshop his head on anything I can think of.

Haha this made me laugh.  Always like seeing Noory-head photoshop creativity.

TheSheriff

I listened for about 6 months after he took over from art, that was it.

I can't believe nothing's been done to eradicate noory from the airwaves. What was great about art was that he allowed the audience to get completely immersed in these people's stories, even if you knew damn well that they were talking bull. His questions were natural and the conversation flowed, whereas with George, you could stick a soundboard on the air every night and not notice the difference.

Quote from: TheSheriff on April 11, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
whereas with George, you could stick a soundboard on the air every night and not notice the difference.

That's right.

http://youtu.be/Oy0E5eZfVAU

bsbishop

Put me in the "I don't" camp.

Over the last few years it was going downhill and I was pretty tolerant of it but even I was thinking, "This is shit. Give me ghosts, demons, UFOs, weird shit. Don't give me the power of finding leaves in the forest - shit!"

Then Dark Matters came along and, had it not been for that, I probably would have given up on C2CAM sooner rather than later. When Dark Matters hit, suddenly, C2CAM was all about interesting things again. There was a full month of it. It wasn't as good as Dark Matters but it was better than anything that had been on C2CAM in years. Dark Matters left and C2CAM fell into the same old routine that I hated before.

Sometime late last year I heard Dave Schrader guest host and he mentioned Darkness Radio and I started listening to that. I flushed C2CAM shortly after that but I heard David Paulides was going to be on so I thought, "That's usually pretty good with the creepy stories." Noory screwed it all up. I think I've turned it on one time since then and it was some stupid shit and I turned it right back off.

It's not spooky. It's not enjoyable. It's not even stupid-funny. It's just shit.

wr250

Quote from: TheSheriff on April 11, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
you could stick a soundboard on the air every night and not notice the difference.

you mean theres a real live person doing that and not a soundboard?

RedMichael

Now and then I will listen to a show where the topic/guest outweighs my annoyance of noory.

Other than that, mainly the guest hosts. Knapp is always solid.

Jackstar

QuoteRe: Why do you still listen?

Know thy enemy.

George Drooly

Why do we still listen?

Fuck, why does he still host?

I listen because the subjects and the guests are often interesting enough to cover over Noorey's insincerity and dullness.    But I really miss having an engaged host.