• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

b_dubb

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 05:50:01 PM
Just installed the Obi 100 using Google Voice...works great! got a home phone again for FREE...after my magic Jack subscription ran out last year...

thanks MV!
I need to do this.

MV/Liberace!

I plan to simplify my holiday shopping this year by buying everybody a couple of these:
https://www.snappower.com/select-charger/

cweb

Quote from: MV on October 12, 2015, 08:46:20 PM
I plan to simplify my holiday shopping this year by buying everybody a couple of these:
https://www.snappower.com/select-charger/
Interesting idea and a novel design. I'd be concerned if there was a short in the charger, but it sounds like they may have a safety circuit in there?

Wonder if they'll modify this idea and go wireless at some point. Also if any municipalities have codes regarding in-wall USB chargers. Sockets like that have existed for a while now, but usually you were replacing the whole outlet and not simply the plate.

albrecht

Quote from: analog kid on October 14, 2015, 05:53:55 PM
From the show "Limitless"

Speaking of which every show/movie shows some spy, criminal, or government agency "copying" someone's harddrive by putting some USB into their computer (usually after breaking into the building.) And it takes seconds. Do the government/hackers have THAT much better technology than us? How can one copy a whole harddrive (they are getting quite big) onto a USB stick in seconds?

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on October 15, 2015, 03:17:43 PM
Speaking of which every show/movie shows some spy, criminal, or government agency "copying" someone's harddrive by putting some USB into their computer (usually after breaking into the building.) And it takes seconds. Do the government/hackers have THAT much better technology than us? How can one copy a whole harddrive (they are getting quite big) onto a USB stick in seconds?
they dont. its all holywood bs.

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on October 15, 2015, 06:38:35 PM
....huzzah for $micro$oft

And somehow my loathing for windows bumps up another notch.

MABUSE

My personal technology gripe o' the month:
proprietary audio formats.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(
**M**

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on October 15, 2015, 06:26:28 PM
they dont. its all holywood bs.
I figured, but thanks none the less for an answer to what, I already reckoned, a dumb question!

Quote from: MABUSE on October 15, 2015, 09:59:27 PM
My personal technology gripe o' the month:
proprietary audio formats.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(
**M**
Blah ha ha ha    Agreed !

cweb

Ugh.

So my Lenovo laptop is starting to experience an increased amount of disk errors. About every other time I boot up Windows it's bitching about something. I've had a (thankfully minor) program get corrupted.

Since I'm warrantied, I get to deal with their support people to try and get a new drive... But having read some of their support forums, the replacement drive might not be too fantastic either.

I'm thinking after the machine comes back, I might just swap out their shitty drive with an SSD and use their drive as a tertiary backup in an enclosure. Ugh.... Fuck Lenovo.

(So glad I got my old desktop running again. Thanks Xubuntu!)

wr250

Quote from: cweb on October 20, 2015, 07:31:52 AM
Ugh.

So my Lenovo laptop is starting to experience an increased amount of disk errors. About every other time I boot up Windows it's bitching about something. I've had a (thankfully minor) program get corrupted.

Since I'm warrantied, I get to deal with their support people to try and get a new drive... But having read some of their support forums, the replacement drive might not be too fantastic either.

I'm thinking after the machine comes back, I might just swap out their shitty drive with an SSD and use their drive as a tertiary backup in an enclosure. Ugh.... Fuck Lenovo.

(So glad I got my old desktop running again. Thanks Xubuntu!)
just put in the ssd. the drive you will get (if they dont make you send in the whole thing) will be a refurb.

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on October 20, 2015, 07:48:55 AM
just put in the ssd. the drive you will get (if they dont make you send in the whole thing) will be a refurb.
Had a feeling that would be the case... thanks!

On the plus side, maybe I'll experiment with a new Linux distro on the other partition this time!

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on October 22, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
samsungs newest offering:
sequential writes of 1,800MB/s, while sequential reads come in at a mind-numbing 5,500MB/s .
http://hothardware.com/news/samsung-demos-crazy-fast-pcie-nvme-ssd-at-56-gb-per-second-showcases-16tb-ssd-at-dell-world
Wow. When you look across the SSD manufacturers though, I believe Samsung is the only one that makes all or nearly all of their components for the drives. Including things like firmware. I've read really positive things about their EVO and PRO series SSD drives.

wr250

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 24, 2015, 04:30:14 AM
This material would also stop 'TEMPEST' attacks dead in their tracks. Kewl. Thanks for the post. :)
you would also not be able to get art on the radio either.and your cell wont work.

onan

Quote from: wr250 on October 24, 2015, 05:14:05 AM
you would also not be able to get art on the radio either.and your cell wont work.

So? win-win?

onan

Quote from: wr250 on October 24, 2015, 02:48:07 PM
no art and no cell. lose-win

Still get Art with hard line, right?

And no cell, frikken hallelujah.

wr250

Quote from: wr250 on October 22, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
samsungs newest offering:
sequential writes of 1,800MB/s, while sequential reads come in at a mind-numbing 5,500MB/s .
http://hothardware.com/news/samsung-demos-crazy-fast-pcie-nvme-ssd-at-56-gb-per-second-showcases-16tb-ssd-at-dell-world
Yup, I came across these in the rumor mill a while back.
Quote from: cweb on October 23, 2015, 06:31:54 AM
Wow. When you look across the SSD manufacturers though, I believe Samsung is the only one that makes all or nearly all of their components for the drives. Including things like firmware. I've read really positive things about their EVO and PRO series SSD drives.
Correct on both counts.
What I like about these drives is that there is a PCI-e model (which will always be faster than an ssd.) The price is very competitive compared to the competition, especially for the size. Samsung has always made high quality flash & memory products.
Product info:http://techiejournal.com/samsungs-16-terabyte-ssd-to-hit-the-shelves/.

wr250

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 25, 2015, 08:36:20 AM
Yup, I came across these in the rumor mill a while back.Correct on both counts.
What I like about these drives is that there is a PCI-e model (which will always be faster than an ssd.) The price is very competitive compared to the competition, especially for the size. Samsung has always made high quality flash & memory products.
Product info:http://techiejournal.com/samsungs-16-terabyte-ssd-to-hit-the-shelves/.
i just ordered a 850 EVO in the 250GB flavor. its a sata 3 ssd. the one i am using has 0% life left.
on sale at newegg for 75 bux.

Quote from: wr250 on October 25, 2015, 08:50:18 AM
i just ordered a 850 EVO in the 250GB flavor. its a sata 3 ssd. the one i am using has 0% life left.
on sale at newegg for 75 bux.
Pretty good price for 600 MB p/second transfer speed. Good choice too. I've read nothing but good reviews on the 840 & 850 EVO.

wr250

http://www.osnews.com/story/28918/DoJ_to_Apple_iOS_is_licensed_so_we_can_force_you_to_decrypt

due to  apple's licensing scheme (the user does not own the software, only leases it) the DOJ has determined that it can force apple to decrypt the data on any ios device, via a warrant. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 25, 2015, 09:11:18 AM
Pretty good price for 600 MB p/second transfer speed. Good choice too. I've read nothing but good reviews on the 840 & 850 EVO.

My first external hard drive was purchased for an AT&T 6300

It was 20MB.  MB, not GB. It cost me $960 with the expansion chassis.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2TB mini external drive for $79.

Anybody want to buy a box of Zip disks?

Art

I can't get my perpetual motion machine to work.  >:(