• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on July 15, 2017, 07:51:14 PM
Tuned into FS1 for another game but got to watching the Yankee/Redsox game. It is still going on. Top 16th and the Rangers/KC game is almost over and this still going. Though NY has taken a lead. Boston playing "under protest" from some crazy long umpire/homeoffice replay reviews.

There was a Cubs game at Pittsburgh that had a weird umpire/replay situation to start the game.

Anthony Rizzo hit a monstrous leadoff home run that went into the river. It was a towering drive down the right field line that was hooking foul. The first base umpire ruled it fair.

The umpires held a conference and overturned the call ruling it foul based on the home plate umpire.

Then they called for an umpire discretion review.

The review was inconclusive and just said the ruling stands.

If they had called for the review before overturning the originall call it would have remained a home run.

The Cubs didn't protest, but if it had remained a home run, Rizzo would have had a record for the most consecutive games for a home run by the leadoff hitter to start his career as a leadoff hitter.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 15, 2017, 08:00:42 PM
There was a Cubs game at Pittsburgh that had a weird umpire/replay situation to start the game.

Anthony Rizzo hit a monstrous leadoff home run that went into the river. It was a towering drive down the right field line that was hooking foul. The first base umpire ruled it fair.

The umpires held a conference and overturned the call ruling it foul based on the home plate umpire.

Then they called for an umpire discretion review.

The review was inconclusive and just said the ruling stands.

If they had called for the review before overturning the originall call it would have remained a home run.

The Cubs didn't protest, but if it had remained a home run, Rizzo would have had a record for the most consecutive games for a home run by the leadoff hitter to start his career as a leadoff hitter.
This was the ruling that caused for the rest of the game to be played "under protest." Though even at the time announcers/fans were wondering why so long and even what was being discussed/reviewed. There was another long "discussion" earlier, I think. But this was the cause for the "under protest" by the Sox. No interference on the play umps say.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/242309064/red-sox-protest-after-holliday-baserunning/?topicId=27118122

albrecht

3000 for Adrian Beltre!!!
And nice to see Bagwell and Pudge into the Hall of Fame!

albrecht

Even though a loss for Rangers. I love Bartolo Canon. Friggin guy still able to pitch a whole game? His debut in the big leagues was against Eddie Murray and is still playing with effectiveness?! Crazy stuff. And I love being able to see a throw-back: big, fat "barrel-chested" old dude pitcher.

Can't stand the players that are arrogant jerks.  Best photo of the season:

Fuck you, Bryce

Gd5150

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2017, 09:38:51 PM
Even though a loss for Rangers. I love Bartolo Canon. Friggin guy still able to pitch a whole game? His debut in the big leagues was against Eddie Murray and is still playing with effectiveness?! Crazy stuff. And I love being able to see a throw-back: big, fat "barrel-chested" old dude pitcher.

"Big Sexy" he's the best.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2017, 05:53:30 PM
Catcher Butera gets a lesson in Physics here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1uHSr_78s

Can you imagine catching Aroldis Chapman?

I played against a kid named David Clyde in HS. He was throwing 100+ as a senior. 18 days after graduating he started his first game for the Texas Rangers.

https://youtu.be/yJTkgVhh7A8

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 06:10:22 PM

I played against a kid named David Clyde in HS. He was throwing 100+ as a senior. 18 days after graduating he started his first game for the Texas Rangers.

Yeah I remember David Clyde.   He was rushed and then as I recall the dreaded torn rotator cuff got him.   

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 06:10:22 PM

https://youtu.be/yJTkgVhh7A8
That is one heck of impressive HS record! Sad used up too much, too soon.
Btw, in the initial youtube freeze-frame he looks like Jerry Reed.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 12, 2017, 07:06:58 PM
You might be correct

The ball also has a larger circumference, and moves more when pitched. It's a more natural motion, so pitchers don't hurt their arms and can pitch a lot more games.

Every one of the pitches in that video was illegal.  Technically the rear foot has to be in contact with the rubber when the ball is released, and those were far from it.  It's actually not really possible to be on the rubber, so they allow a bit of ''foot drag'', but those ''crow hops'' were blatant.  The longer the stride, the faster the pitch.

Where I grew up, most people played fast pitch, and the old guys played slo-pitch.  Of course lots of kids played little league too.  When I moved down here I was shocked to find out only the girls played fast pitch.  Not sure why.

GravitySucks

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 12, 2017, 08:43:36 PM
The ball also has a larger circumference, and moves more when pitched. It's a more natural motion, so pitchers don't hurt their arms and can pitch a lot more games.

Every one of the pitches in that video was illegal.  Technically the rear foot has to be in contact with the rubber when the ball is released, and those were far from it.  It's actually not really possible to be on the rubber, so they allow a bit of ''foot drag'', but those ''crow hops'' were blatant.  The longer the stride, the faster the pitch.

Where I grew up, most people played fast pitch, and the old guys played slo-pitch.  Of course lots of kids played little league too.  When I moved down here I was shocked to find out only the girls played fast pitch.  Not sure why.

Most softballs are 12”. In Chicago, we played both 12” slow and fast pitch and 16” slow pitch. 16” was the ball of choice for picnics and such because the only players that needed a glove were the pitcher, catcher and first base.

I never saw a 16” used anywhere else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-inch_softball

GravitySucks

c’mon Cubs. 3 more outs.

2 more outs.

1 more out.

Yes!!!!!!

Thank goodness.  I hate Bryce Harper so much.

albrecht

'STROS! FUCK YA! And you know MLB and tv conglomerates wanted a "coast" series. Well, they got it- and so-called "Third Coast" gonna win it all!!

Quote from: albrecht on October 21, 2017, 09:31:35 PM
'STROS! FUCK YA! And you know MLB and tv conglomerates wanted a "coast" series. Well, they got it- and so-called "Third Coast" gonna win it all!!

So it's the old NL West showing up.  Nice!

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 21, 2017, 09:34:45 PM
So it's the old NL West showing up.  Nice!
Yeah, I didn't like when "they" moved Houston to AL, so even better when Stros win it all in a bit! Screw the tv, screw MLB management, go 'STROS!!!

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 21, 2017, 09:31:35 PM

Came sooooo coose to having the Cubs and Astros. Oh well.

It was kind of unique in that the 4 final teams represented the 4 largest cities. That was good for MLB but you sure could the announcers favored NY.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 21, 2017, 09:39:11 PM
Came sooooo coose to having the Cubs and Astros. Oh well.

It was kind of unique in that the 4 final teams represented the 4 largest cities. That was good for MLB but you sure could the announcers favored NY.
There could be other theories but I will leave those alone, for now, since I'm happy!

Gd5150

Good for Houston, they need this. Let’s hope America’s team finishes the job.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 21, 2017, 11:31:18 PM
Good for Houston, they need this. Let’s hope America’s team finishes the job.

First team to win a pennant in both the American and National Leagues.  Now hope they can get their first ring.

Zetaspeak

The Cubs really went out with a whimper. Respect the Dodgers most of the season they were in a league above the rest

GravitySucks

Quote from: Zetaspeak on October 22, 2017, 05:12:04 PM
The Cubs really went out with a whimper. Respect the Dodgers most of the season they were in a league above the rest

This is the first time in nearly 50 years that both teams in the WS have over 100 wins. I am obviously rooting for the Astros now, but with LA having home field advantage, their pitchers will probably outhit the Astros pitchers... which is fine... the Astros have not gotten much production from their DH all year.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 22, 2017, 05:27:18 PM
This is the first time in nearly 50 years that both teams in the WS have over 100 wins. I am obviously rooting for the Astros now, but with LA having home field advantage, their pitchers will probably outhit the Astros pitchers... which is fine... the Astros have not gotten much production from their DH all year.

You are most welcome.

Signed,
          Detroit

trostol

game 2 has been..wild

DILLY DILLY!!!!

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 25, 2017, 10:37:09 PM
FUCK YA! Go Stros! BEAT LA!

Oh yeah! Houston is rockin tonight. Astros in 5 baby!!!

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 25, 2017, 10:47:02 PM
Oh yeah! Houston is rockin tonight. Astros in 5 baby!!!
Minute Maid is going to be insane for these games!