• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Imconfused, June 22, 2016, 01:58:16 PM

Imconfused

Vote Here:

Yay ot Nay?

VtaGeezer

They'd better consider carefully..Brexit means the EU rules will no longer be a moderating excuse when Muslims demand Sharia from Parliament. 

Imconfused

The vote is coming down tomorrow.  And it's a big deal,  so yeah,  they better consider.

Imconfused

The polls close down at 10 PM.

I wonder how long it'll take them to count it or is it gonna be almost instant like it is in the US?

I also heard the vote is not binding anyway so what's the point,  really?  Oh well,  I guess we will find out tomorrow.

albrecht

Quote from: Imconfused on June 22, 2016, 07:33:40 PM
The polls close down at 10 PM.

I wonder how long it'll take them to count it or is it gonna be almost instant like it is in the US?

I also heard the vote is not binding anyway so what's the point,  really?  Oh well,  I guess we will find out tomorrow.
They estimate results will be known 7am (local time.) Also, it is important to note that they extended the time period for voter registration because polls said that younger people, often not registered, are more likely to support "stay" (they claimed the extended registration was due to 'technical problems' but....)

On the good side, unlike so many other referendums, bond issues, etc the language on this one is very clear and easy to figure out:
"The referendum question will read:
“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

Voters will have the option of putting an “x” next to one of two answers:

“Remain a member of the European Union.”

“Leave the European Union.”"

The polls being so close I wonder if this could end up being a British version of "hanging chads" with questions of "is this mark a cross or not?"

Leave.  I'm fed up with globalism.  Plus I've always believed it is better to keep politics as local as possible.  People in Germany could care less about British needs and vice versa.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 22, 2016, 08:51:45 PM
Leave.  I'm fed up with globalism.  Plus I've always believed it is better to keep politics as local as possible.  People in Germany could care less about British needs and vice versa.

agreed, but i'll be surprised if they leave.  also, the jo cox murder came at just the right time, conveniently enough, to sway opinion against the leave movement which was gaining momentum prior to her death.

albrecht

Quote from: MV on June 22, 2016, 11:20:01 PM
agreed, but i'll be surprised if they leave.  also, the jo cox murder came at just the right time, conveniently enough, to sway opinion against the leave movement which was gaining momentum prior to her death.
If polls are to believe right after the "UK" vote was slightly benefited, but polls. Still all say so close. And, as I mentioned, how counted? Will a check be counted as a cross, etc? And the change the voter registration period help the controllers in Brussels, Luxembourg, and Strasbourg? It will be interesting for sure! Like the Scot vote, or the various others- Catalonia, Flemish etc issues it would not surprise me if interventions and payments even. Call it conspiracy but we will see. (And, I'm not sure it is even legal by Art 50?) But, like Lisbon etc wouldn't surprise me if more votes (and money in advertising) if a "leave vote" and a "do over."

Jackstar

More rigged than the Americas' Cup sails.

TigerLily

Quote from: MV on June 22, 2016, 11:20:01 PM

Yes. It's always lovely when murder is convenient.  I have a few murders planned. Just waiting for the most convenient time to carry them out. I think the timing is almost right. Soon. Very soon

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: TigerLily on June 23, 2016, 12:04:58 AM
Yes. It's always lovely when murder is convenient.  I have a few murders planned. Just waiting for the most convenient time to carry them out. I think the timing is almost right. Soon. Very soon

not sure i get your point.

TigerLily

Quote from: MV on June 23, 2016, 12:35:21 AM
not sure i get your point.

You will.  Praise MV

Up All Night

The "QUEEN" is for the BREXIT.

Stand By Your Queen . . .

Imconfused

Well,  here we go folks.  Today is the day.

Vote yes for Brexit and get the hell out.  However I don't believe for a second that (((they))) will let them leave.  Not gonna happen.  UK plays too much an important part in this clownfest called the EU.   

It's gonna be interesting to watch,  tho.  And when it doesn't happen people will forget very soon and everything is gonna be "alright". 

Somebody said we will not find out till tomorrow. 

I vote for whatever cucks the UK the quickest so they can be an example to the US.

Imconfused

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 23, 2016, 08:09:26 AM
I vote for whatever cucks the UK the quickest so they can be an example to the US.

You might have a point there,  but unfortunately I'm a pessimist so I don't think cucked UK would make any waves in the US.  But you never know.   

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Imconfused on June 22, 2016, 07:33:40 PM

I also heard the vote is not binding anyway so what's the point,  really?

yeah, i've been hearing that bandied about in the last couple of days, which was news to me. 

i don't think it matters much, anyway.  the brits seem largely fine voting for politicians who bow down to islam and who support the notion of unchecked immigration, and i think that's a much heavier problem for them than their inclusion in the EU.  having said that, i'm no fan of globalism or centralized power, so i'd be happy to see the brexit movement succeed.

Imconfused

Somebody has to start this "exodus",  otherwise Europe is fucked.  Why not Britain?

But like I said:  Neeever gonna happen - unfortunately.   

Imconfused

Isn't here anybody from Britain that can tell us what's happening over there?

Like riots,  hanging chads or that (((they))) ran out of ballots.

Where is YorkshirePud when you need him?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Imconfused on June 23, 2016, 12:12:56 PM
Isn't here anybody from Britain that can tell us what's happening over there?

Like riots,  hanging chads or that (((they))) ran out of ballots.

Where is YorkshirePud when you need him?

I believe their press is restricted from any election reporting until the polls close. They are permitted to say that the weather is very nasty.

albrecht

CNN, for once, actually had an interesting side-note on the issue. Will Spain move on Gibraltar if the UK exits the EU. I'm not sure what "move" would mean, Spain has wanted it back for centuries but the local population wants to stay in the UK. Both the UK and Spain are a member of NATO also so I wouldn't think Spain would militarily try to regain the territory. Plus the UK has a much better military and the Spanish economy is in shambles. Any war would also alert the Catalonians and Basque to reassert their independence and complicate things. So I'm guess Spain would try some legal maneuvers and seek international body to somehow tell the UK to give them Gibraltar? Or do they think that the UK post-exit would be more open to negotiations on a hand-over, sort of like HK?

There are rumblings going on that the Brits decided to stay in the EU.  However, the papers once said Dewey defeated Truman.  We'll see how it pans out.  Too close to call at this point.