• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

elbee

and in the first hour whn he had that DMT moron on (the guys who specializes in underground bases but never says a word about them?) he didn't catch where he was in South America - neither did I, a competent host would say

Wait a minute, why don't you tell us where you are at the moment, not George - he just asked questions like, are they happy there?

ARE "THEY" HAPPY THERE?!

Who the F*ck are "THEY"? do you think there subhuman George?!

aldousburbank

Quote from: EgoFartSnooryBoy on May 23, 2011, 12:47:37 PM
and in the first hour whn he had that DMT moron on

Is it just me, or does the thought of discussing DMT with George sound as inappropriate as would be discussing sex with him,just slightly less creepy?  Eeeww.  Stick with the angels and turmeric guy.

anagrammy

OK, all kidding aside and don't read my signature on this comment.

We've had a lot of fun with the wide variety of goofs Noory makes.  He's a human being, vain and flawed, just like the rest of us.  I think he works hard getting by with his minimal education, lack of real interest, and lack of insight.  Reminds me of an average girl some studio pimped out to be a starlet, you know, all fake boobs and makeup, the hair, the clothes and really without talent.  Paris Hilton comes to mind.  You want to just say, "Go--get out of the way and they continue to mug the camera til you want to scream WHY?"

All of the above factoids are but venial sins in the market place.  There is one mortal sin that we have discussed on and off, but which I am noticing is increasing.  George is getting better at some of the small things, you have to give him that, but Christ-on-a-crutch, he is getting way worse at the conversational type interview Art was so good at and Knapp pulls off regularly.

You simply cannot just read questions from a list.  There is no engagement, no energy in that and ESPECIALLY in the weird news category, it just does not work.  George has tried to improve his interviewing by speaking more enthusiastically since listeners have criticized his "list question" method as reflecting lack of interest in what the guest is saying.  I used to hold that opinion myself, but listening carefully when a (admittedly rare) significant statement is made by a guest or caller, George is flummoxed.  Is it stage fright?  Has he been threatened and is he scared of making a mistake?  Or is it a form of narcissistic self-consciousness in which the interviewer is unable to get into the story sufficiently to ask the next logical question?

The listeners are looking to Noory to represent them.  And time after time, he just doesn't. 

Another possible explanation is that his fundamental value of not making the guest feel uncomfortable conflicts with his job to represent the listener and question what's been said.  The perfect example of this is the replay of the show when Sylvia Brown said the Virginia miners who died would be found and they were ok. 

It's as if he senses something important has been said and does not within himself know how to handle it.  Art was the consummate master at this.  If someone unloaded bullshit on him, he would laugh and you could even hear the volume lower as he leaned back and laughed at the ceiling.  He would then say, "Well, you of all people ought to know"  or my personal favorite "if the picture is a forgery, the whole story is a lie, isn't it?"  or even the global  "Why in the world would you come to that conclusion?"  THANK YOU, Art, I would think, that's exactly my reaction too!

An edge.  Maybe not politically correct but when you are talking to insomniacs and night workers, having an edge is a requirement.

Anagrammy

Quote from: anagrammy on May 23, 2011, 11:31:00 PM

...It's as if he senses something important has been said and does not within himself know how to handle it.  Art was the consummate master at this.  If someone unloaded bullshit on him, he would laugh and you could even hear the volume lower as he leaned back and laughed at the ceiling.  He would then say, "Well, you of all people ought to know"  or my personal favorite "if the picture is a forgery, the whole story is a lie, isn't it?"  or even the global  "Why in the world would you come to that conclusion?"  THANK YOU, Art, I would think, that's exactly my reaction too!...

Anagrammy

Examples of some of the very best aspects of AB's C2C IMO.  I just loved it when stuff like this would happen.  Art could make me laugh my ass off when he did it.  And he did it well.

On a side note...... I just tuned in to C2C & Snoors for the first time in 6 or 7 months(<<forgot that part), Ian and Knapp shows aside, and I swear within the first five seconds I heard the word angel.  I'll go back to the AB stream.

"Grand Opening.....

...Grand Closing!!!"

Quinn

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 24, 2011, 01:24:59 AM
On a side note...... I just tuned in to C2C & Snoors for the first time (Ian and Knapp shows aside), and I swear within the first five seconds I heard the word angel.  I'll go back to the AB stream.
Yep. I couldn't take it anymore, so I got an internet radio and have been listening to the CoastGab stream. Absolute heaven! It's like the difference between champagne and really watery, yet bitter beer.

Quote from: Quinn on May 24, 2011, 01:35:52 AM
Yep. I couldn't take it anymore, so I got an internet radio and have been listening to the CoastGab stream. Absolute heaven! It's like the difference between champagne and really watery, yet bitter beer.

So true.  But isn't that comparison a little harsh on watery, bitter beer?

valdez

You simply cannot just read questions from a list...There is no engagement, no energy...

A short segment with one of c2c smartest guys, Sir Charles Shults.  I just like the way he talks.  I also like spiritual medium James Vann Praagh.  I think he's the real thing, and it's sad that he has to suffer through a Noory interview.  After an Ian/Knapp weekend it hurts my head to hear George ask questions that have already been answered, or that cannot be answered, or that lead nowhere.  Memo to producer Tom: "Year of the Cat" is an Art Bell bumper.  Period.  Memo to Prophet of Impending Doom, Harold Camping, who has redone the math and now concludes the end of the world will be on October 21, 2011:  shove it.

Al Stewart
...in a country where they turn back time...

fysisist

You simply cannot just read questions from a list.  There is no engagement, no energy in that and ESPECIALLY in the weird news category, it just does not work.  George has tried to improve his interviewing by speaking more enthusiastically since listeners have criticized his "list question" method as reflecting lack of interest in what the guest is saying.  I used to hold that opinion myself, but listening carefully when a (admittedly rare) significant statement is made by a guest or caller, George is flummoxed.  Is it stage fright?  Has he been threatened and is he scared of making a mistake?  Or is it a form of narcissistic self-consciousness in which the interviewer is unable to get into the story sufficiently to ask the next logical question?

The listeners are looking to Noory to represent them.  And time after time, he just doesn't. 

I hesitate to disagree with a veteran CoastGabber and you have undoubtedly listened to more C2C shows than me, but I think you got it right in your first paragraph, he doesn't really listen much less really care.  Why, I don't know.  Education, intelligence, etc, etc?  At this point I just have to assume that he sees he's making all kinds of cash, his audience seems to generally love him, and he does it all without any effort, so he's concluded that he's just a talented and charismatic guy, the chosen one, so to speak.  That is the arrogance I hear in Noory.  He's a legend in his own mind.  I never even hear him refer to the "great Art Bell" anymore, like he used to a few years ago.  He's the man now.  He's the biggest turd in the bowl.

Saffy

QuoteHe's the biggest turd in the bowl.

And someone forgot to flush.

anagrammy

Quote from: fysisist on May 24, 2011, 01:18:42 PM
I hesitate to disagree with a veteran CoastGabber and you have undoubtedly listened to more C2C shows than me, but I think you got it right in your first paragraph, he doesn't really listen much less really care.  Why, I don't know.  Education, intelligence, etc, etc?  At this point I just have to assume that he sees he's making all kinds of cash, his audience seems to generally love him, and he does it all without any effort, so he's concluded that he's just a talented and charismatic guy, the chosen one, so to speak.  That is the arrogance I hear in Noory.  He's a legend in his own mind.  I never even hear him refer to the "great Art Bell" anymore, like he used to a few years ago.  He's the man now.  He's the biggest turd in the bowl.

We agree, actually.  My first impression is not nullified by later realizations.  They are added upon, i.e., he is not actually interested, does not care to engage the guest, AND is painfully self-conscious, with the addition of the hubris of the annointed.  I actually became slightly nauseated a couple of months ago when they had one of the usual pimped up guests licking all over him and he asked the guy to repreat the self-glorifying praise (I kid you not) THREE times.  Then...as I am gasping for air...then did the same damn thing to the next guest.

So, yeah, we are definitely on the same page.  I suspect it will make no difference now because George is a mendicant for ego strokes and promises in return to "be there" for the new audience.  One is reminded of the Peter Sellers movie "Being There" and the vacuous stare of the gardener (dentist) turned TV star (radio host). 

Hey!  May Lou! Coast to Coast is on, p'down yer cats and turn up t'the radio!

Anagrammy

Roger

I think attention deficit disorder (ADD) might apply.

Definitely not ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder): look at
the guy!  If pot is not a component of the disorder, then the sleepy-dog
look is probably a disfunction of the thyroid glands (thyroid/parathyroid).

Not to mock that.  For some people, a single phrase might send them off
to their internal world and may not even be aware of what was said for the
past five minutes.  Then adaptive behavior taking over, which has to be
applied to appear to be relevant . . . rather than saying: huh? what were
you saying? I was involved with my own internal thinking processes? (I speculate)
they might look at their list of questions and preamble it with an 'uh-huh'
or 'hmmm, I see' and proceed with the question.

I wouldn't suggest this at all as a blatant mockery so much as a sympathetic
element for analysis.

Could be we are being far too harsh with someone with an actual dis-ability.

George, Ian: two people with disabilities who, yet, have fulcrumed them
somehow into a means of a living.

Do we say: good for you! (Awwww, aint they cute! who's going to pick on
a disabled couple?) Or do we simply ask: okay: you overcame your
disabilities thus far, now how about picking up on what makes interesting
radio?  How about studying what made Art Bell (and others) great when he
(or they) was(were) great?

Just 'phoning it in' is pure bullshit.

What makes me sick is that no one seems to be able to say: I fucked up,
or I repent or even ask: what am I missing?  Why am I not as great as
Art?

For that matter: why didn't Art ask himself: why am I so intriguing?

What do I do good, what do I do not so good?

When Art was good: very good.  When Art was bad: very, very bad.

There's a principle missing here. An essence missed.

When it was good, the momentum of what it engendered, alone, carries
forward despite not much being added to impel it much,  much further
and deeper than has obtained, ere now.

valdez

William Thomas on the dangers of cell phones.  George wonders if they might be the cause of all these tornadoes.  Richard Minter commandeers the rest of the night talking about terrorism, the middle east, and specifically of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, 911 mastermind, murderer of Daniel Pearl, water board enthusiast, and big fan of the colonels chicken, so much so that his nickname was KFC.  On top of all the things George does to screw up an interview, he is now on the verge of perfecting his "ask a question, then ask another question before the first question is answered" routine.  Minter was unfazed, brushing off George's landmines of mediocrity as easily as he brushed off all those silly "building 7" controversies. One of the better shows of the year.

Eric Holder Blames Congress for Blocking Trial for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
Khalid in happier times. 

Roger

Hmm. Pretty good interview. No mention of ufos. No 'ho hum' phasing out
or evidences of reading a liquid-crystal screen.  Relevant questions.

Relevant expert on intelligence matters, relevant ingoramus on issues of
intertainment.

C2C ergo is 'CIA to CIA wannabes'? rather than what really matters?

Entertainment!?

Fascinating.

How can such an obvious idiot become a relevant interviewer, an informed
interviewer when most of the time he is utterly flumuxed by any guest?

I have to agree with valdez here, despite how odious he is otherwise: one
of the better shows of the year.

Amazing.

Information.

How probative, utlimately, it all is can only be determined by study.

El Kragen

Quote from: valdez on May 25, 2011, 04:37:10 AM
     ...On top of all the things George does to screw up an interview, he is now on the verge of perfecting his "ask a question, then ask another question before the first question is answered" routine.  Minter was unfazed, brushing off George's landmines of mediocrity as easily as he brushed off all those silly "building 7" controversies. One of the better shows of the year.

lol... love this line ;D

fysisist

Quote from: anagrammy on May 24, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
We agree, actually.  My first impression is not nullified by later realizations.  They are added upon, i.e., he is not actually interested, does not care to engage the guest, AND is painfully self-conscious, with the addition of the hubris of the annointed.  I actually became slightly nauseated a couple of months ago when they had one of the usual pimped up guests licking all over him and he asked the guy to repreat the self-glorifying praise (I kid you not) THREE times.  Then...as I am gasping for air...then did the same damn thing to the next guest.

So, yeah, we are definitely on the same page.  I suspect it will make no difference now because George is a mendicant for ego strokes and promises in return to "be there" for the new audience.  One is reminded of the Peter Sellers movie "Being There" and the vacuous stare of the gardener (dentist) turned TV star (radio host). 

Hey!  May Lou! Coast to Coast is on, p'down yer cats and turn up t'the radio!

Anagrammy

I'll say this, if Georgie could turn a phrase like you Anagrammy, and had even one-tenth the vocabulary, he'd be worth listening to.  If he had any sense, he'd hire you to write for him, although I'm quite hopeful that you would say NO!

aldousburbank

I like this:  We all get together to have our own coastgab private radio network.  I would pay at least what I used to for Coast Streamlink to hear Annagrammy's All Night Open Lines Rant and Roll and Lifeways Consultation.  Onan's What the Fuck Are You Thinking Hour would be excellent.  I volunteer my own full moon open lines segment which I would call Speaking of Tweaking, dedicated to the all night chemically imbalanced and criminally insane demographic in which I use my charm and fucked up desert scorpion wit to talk jumpers off the ledge, or get them on it, as the case may require.

elbee

Its actually pretty easy - we set up a talk stream live account and we have a call in podcast!
LETS DO IT!

I will do a weekly, George Noory - Man or Mustache? show

aldousburbank

Yes,
I think Michael V. has a good foot in the door here- I enjoy his podcasts much more than C2C.

elbee

and PLEASE someone PM me a Demonoid invite code!

Roger

Very entertaining to have a machine let loose.

Living people, perhaps, amused little on command or some frank lessing out:
this is a machine!

What do they say? How do they respond?

I presume this is supposedly mockery of intuition.

Pretty good joke, watching living folk arguing with a machine or
'golem'.

Why not talk to that clever fellow and ask: what you doin', and why?

'Think this is "entertaining" or "entertainment"?

A lover of running will do anything to get some cause or reason to run.

Roger

My dad once told me, in response to my ennunciation
that he must have been popular in highschool because he
was (as ir seemed to me at that moment) such a nice guy.

'Maybe,' he retorted, 'but for me to be a "nice guy, thus
far means there would have to be about 20 or so various
words anyone like me would have to get rid of.

"The chief amongst which is 'prison' or 'imprisonment.'"

You try and figure my old man out.

As for me?: gonna be thinking about that some time, fer sure.

jinwicked

Quote from: anagrammy on May 24, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
I actually became slightly nauseated a couple of months ago when they had one of the usual pimped up guests licking all over him and he asked the guy to repreat the self-glorifying praise (I kid you not) THREE times.  Then...as I am gasping for air...then did the same damn thing to the next guest.

He does this with genuflecting callers as well.

valdez

RCH says that today NASA will announce that the moon has as much water as the earth.  He really likes to stick his neck out.  God bless him.  Stephen E. Braude spoke about paranormal stuff, and there were a couple of moments when George was actually forming long complex thoughts, and I was impressed, but then he did something that worried me.  We here at this fine forum have pointed out and joked about him asking the same question twice, but he usually changes the wording to some degree when he does this, but tonight he did it (about multiple personalities and it's relation to people who channel the dead) using the same words.  I could tell Braudi was stunned.  So was I.  It wasn't funny.  It could be something as innocuous as him not paying attention to his index cards, or, as someone pointed out in this thread a while back, he may have a problem.
  Roger, your dad seems like a real nice guy.  If my dad had gotten all dressed like that to go fishing, and came back with that guppy, he'd be one angry bastard. 

How old is Noory? (not his hair, but he himself) clearly the hours he keeps is a young man'a game or a night owl by trade. Maybe he's just always tired.....?? Could it be that simple? That or early Alzheimer's 

Scully

Quote from: HorrorReporter on May 26, 2011, 05:05:56 AM
How old is Noory? (not his hair, but he himself) clearly the hours he keeps is a young man'a game or a night owl by trade. Maybe he's just always tired.....?? Could it be that simple? That or early Alzheimer's

Noory will be 61 next month.  I wonder if he ever sleeps.  Every picture I've seen of him has that really tired bassett hound expression.

Just when I think he's definitely going into Alzheimers, though, he seems to pull himself together .  The other night when he told us we could all live without a pancreas, he actually corrected himself.  Said he was thinking of an appendix.  Well, they do sound similar ...  ::)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Scully on May 26, 2011, 11:00:33 PM

Noory will be 61 next month.

I remember a show where Noory had on an author who'd written about RFK's assassination and the author said "June 4, 1968 was the California primary and Robert Kennedy was in Los Angeles.." only to be interrupted by George intoning with "that's my birthday" like he was an eight year old...the interview died right there as the author seemed to realize he was dealing with a fool.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 26, 2011, 11:25:37 PM
     I remember a show where Noory had on an author who'd written about RFK's assassination and the author said "June 4, 1968 was the California primary and Robert Kennedy was in Los Angeles.." only to be interrupted by George intoning with "that's my birthday" like he was an eight year old...the interview died right there as the author seemed to realize he was dealing with a fool.

George really sucks!

BobGrau

Quote from: Digitech on April 08, 2011, 09:09:42 PM
I heard the portion of the show with Lionel Fanthorpe. He was a good guest and interesting, though a bit cheesy.

George seemed out of it though -- More than usual I mean. He seemed surly and acted like he had something else on his mind. It was maybe the most disconnected from the guest and program that I've heard him. The show felt as though Lionel Fanthorpe was the host and George was just a producer or something who would occasionally speak into his microphone to introduce a caller.

if only.