• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Game of Thrones

Started by morgana213, September 27, 2015, 04:56:57 PM

morgana213

Do any of you watch Game of Thrones?  If you do, what do you think about it?  Will the good guys ever win?

Caruthers612

Quote from: b_dubb on September 29, 2015, 08:40:43 AM
John Snow lives

Fuck Jon Snow. Just make sure Sansa Stark is alive, warm, well-fed and comfortable. Jesus Christ, 5'11" of red-haired, big-boobed yumminess...

zeebo

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 29, 2015, 04:22:03 PM
         Fuck Jon Snow. Just make sure Sansa Stark is alive, warm, well-fed and comfortable. Jesus Christ, 5'11" of red-haired, big-boobed yumminess...

No way, I need me a Ygritte type.  Much more practical when the winter comes, and you can dispense with all those courtly manners.

morgana213

I am rooting for the Dragon Queen along with her dragons! 

chefist

Quote from: b_dubb on September 29, 2015, 08:40:43 AM
John Snow lives

Only if Sam comes back and saves him! Or he turns into a white walker and Sam converts him back into human form...but this show has never brought back a death that I can remember...I think the point is that life sucks and then you die...sometimes rather quicker than you thought...

b_dubb

Quote from: chefist on September 30, 2015, 03:51:04 PM
Only if Sam comes back and saves him! Or he turns into a white walker and Sam converts him back into human form...but this show has never brought back a death that I can remember...I think the point is that life sucks and then you die...sometimes rather quicker than you thought...
What about that dude the Hound cut in half in single combat and then his buddy chanted over him and then everyone shit themselves when he was still alive and healed up?

Caruthers612

Quote from: b_dubb on September 30, 2015, 04:06:05 PM
What about that dude the Hound cut in half in single combat and then his buddy chanted over him and then everyone shit themselves when he was still alive and healed up?

I believe the Mountain came back to life, eh? Wasn't that his 8' purple corpse carrying Cercei at the end of season 5? Now, someone who's also read the books, which I have, help me out here. I don't remember that or Cercei's sorcerer friend who resurrects people being in book 5, do you? I think they may have just invented that for the series. And for those wot ain't read the books, I will not spoil anything here, only say that there's more between heaven and earth than is dreamed of in your hemorrhoid cream--assuming you have an old tube of it in your cupboard as most of us do.

Caruthers612

Quote from: morgana213 on September 30, 2015, 03:46:27 PM
I am rooting for the Dragon Queen along with her dragons!

I keep hoping Daenerys will mistake my face for a bicycle seat.

Am I the only one who thought that was awful? Like I feel that episode was an insult to viewers. It looked awesome, I liked the dark tone the episode had.  A lot of people thought it filmed to dark, like literally they couldn’t see anything. But there were a lot of issues.

1. Why did they leave the field wide open surrounding Winterfell.
2. The last second “saves” of main characters
3. The worse use of tactics I have ever seen for allegedly battle hardened commanders
4. The Knight King being a complete moron. The previously showed a bunch of giants and undead polar bears. Where the heck where they?
5. Nothing fit into the lore the series has built for 7 seasons
6. No one we cared about died, meaning key figures will die in a meaningless fight for the irons throne. With the Undead Army defeated Cersei by comparison doesn’t look so bad. It is sort of a let down.
7. Both dragons survived as they were seen in trailer for next week. So I don’t know some pay swords are going to have the moral or even ability to fight them. The last attempt against Dragons we got the. “ I think we can hold them off” line in reference to three dragons.

There are many other reasons I hated the episode.

VC

The Knight King's "shattering" was the worst incomplete mythology and lore "untold story" that ended too abruptly without overall meaning or deeper understanding to give real depth to GoT. It seems empty and hollow. It doesn't seem to connect any further into the last three episodes, and that's the only way there will be any redemption for the arc of everything GoT. Does the Knight King's now meaningless mythology just die with him w/o further repercussions? That sucks!

Epaphroditus

Disagree...

This recent episode was a thousand times better than Avengers Endgame , GoT has always been about the human experience with the Night King as filler for unthinking tards .

The real drama now begins with each of the remaining factions having to make real choices about survival , personally I believe Sansa will make the most unexpected move .

GoT could really pretty piss of the tards by revealing in the final moments that the whole series was simply the imagination of Bran .

VC

Give Ace of Clubs a big kiss and hug with yourself. ;)

Most GoT YT reviewers say otherwise about your love and acceptance for the zombie apocalypse dumb ass tarded knight king ending. One example among the vast majority of YT GoT reviewers in disagreement w/your take about the KK:

https://youtu.be/6iyMR_HLxGE

All YT GoT reviewers seem to be against the KK's hollowed-out meaningless ending, since there's not one YT reviewer that supports your positive viewpoint that its purpose is to magnify Cersei's ending and the remaining story w/o KK depth of understanding leaving it shallow and empty.

My post above does allow for redemption on this whole matter, since Bran might still play some role connecting more meaning back into the role of the KK w/the Children of the Forest in future episodes. Bran seems to be the only remaining magical visionary left that did not do much in this last episode that might still fill-in more details. Bran was totally dumbed down in this last episode too just acting like bait and thanking Theon. Total BS.

With 3 remaining episodes maybe Bran will finally do something more informative to the mythology and arc of the story, so it's possible the KK's hollow ending has redeeming qualities after the fact.

Of course, maybe we won't give a shit, because we're going to be wowed more by the ending. I hope so. I don't want the ending to be THE Walk of Shame, which is but one example of GoT's outstanding dramatic brilliance!

When show runners ran out of source material, the show suffered quality.

VC

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 01, 2019, 12:05:26 PM

The way George RR Martin came to accept and even approve of this situation was to publicly state there were now two different versions of GoT. Obviously, implying only his version will be authentic canon, but he seemed perfectly accepting that HBO will do its own thing acknowledging it will be different. He implied they have creative license to go beyond any generalities or outlines he has for his final two books.

Heck, I think his version of the books will be quite different than HBO's if he ever finishes the books. His health is certainly in question, so Martin better consider there are serous time limitations that he does not control. He doesn't have to die to lose his brain's ability to finish his two GoT books. I think it's more than 50/50 he won't finish, because his health is already failing him for some time now.

VC

Article snippets:

Winter is coming. Eventually. When it's ready. But not this year. Maybe next.

Here, in link below, for your dark-humored amusement and chagrin, is a history of George R.R. Martin promising to finish The Winds of Winter:

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/the-winds-of-winter-a-soul-crushing-history-of-geo/2900-2318/

"The Winds of Winter is not finished. It'll be done when it's done." That's what 70-year-old author George R.R. Martin has been telling his legions of patient fans, in numerous ways, for going on eight years. Martin, of course, is the author of A Song of Ice and Fire, the fantasy book series that HBO adapted into Game of Thrones. He is, needless to say, a notoriously slow writer.

When Game of Thrones debuted on HBO in April 2011, four out of seven planned books were already on shelves. Fans hoped Martin would finish writing all seven books before the TV show caught up to him, and the fifth book, A Dance with Dragons, was released in July 2011. But since then, there have been no new novels in the core series. We're still waiting on the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, not to mention the seventh book after that, A Dream of Spring. And meanwhile, the show not only caught up with the books--it passed them. And the show's final season is set to air in 2019.

As one might have suspected, Fire and Blood is arriving first; it will be out November 2018. As for The Winds of Winter, Martin confirmed it has been delayed again, and will not be released in 2018.

And that brings us up to the present day. Maybe 2019 will be the lucky year. If not 2019, maybe 2020. And don't forget, there's still one more book left after The Winds of Winter. We get to do this all over again for A Dream of Spring.

When The Winds of Winter does finally come out, we have faith it will be worth the wait. In the meantime, godspeed you, Maester Martin.

ItsOver

Ha!  I'm really with it.  I haven't watched one episode of GOT or seen one Avengers movie.

I did enjoy "The Battle of Britain" last night, though.  Really great to see some actual aircraft, rather than the cartoonish CGI.  Fantastic aerial photography.

VC

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 01, 2019, 12:05:26 PM

I did not realize the Night King is not even a character in the GoT books. WTF?

Here is what GRRM wrote about it, so it seems this is a character that HBO created for its purposes:

As for the Night’s King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

So no, the “Night King” isn’t a title passed down for the ruler of the White Walkers, nor is the legendary “Night’s King” still fighting today. It makes sense the show would want to give the character a name/title though.

pate

They are all on a mailing list, and Ed McMahon is greeting them with a check...

apogees

Kidnostad3

Shit!  Queen Cersei is down to her last dragon.  What next?

Epaphroditus

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 06, 2019, 01:49:48 PM
Shit!  Queen Cersei is down to her last dragon.  What next?

Queen Cersi sits on the Iron Throne and never had any dragons but plenty of brain .

Season has turned into cluster ...k

Evil queen Danny gets offed by her lover John. Blah blah blah

It feels rushed sloppy and full of .... well they forgot excuses.

Epaphroditus

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 10, 2019, 10:51:28 PM
Season has turned into cluster ...k

Evil queen Danny gets offed by her lover John. Blah blah blah

It feels rushed sloppy and full of .... well they forgot excuses.

Dany and Cersi are the only reason I watch the show , I refuse to believe that after the trials the writers have put Dany thru that they would now kill her off instead of putting her on the Throne as only The Breaker of Chains deserves .

I expect in these final two weeks that Sansa will further manipulate the males into trying to prevent Dany , likely John will either die because of Sansa or be saved by Dany .

GOT has always surprised with death .

Epaphroditus

While not loving the last episode , Dany making that turn was brilliant writing .

The only people who trusted her were those she saved , the rest one by one turned on her including John so she decided if she could not be Queen then nobody would... Understandable

Sadly , now they set up her death in Marvel or George Lucas style .

For the final episode I would love to see Arya return to Gendry , the only two who truly deserve each other .

albrecht

Quote from: Epaphroditus on May 13, 2019, 12:30:34 AM
While not loving the last episode , Dany making that turn was brilliant writing .

The only people who trusted her were those she saved , the rest one by one turned on her including John so she decided if she could not be Queen then nobody would... Understandable

Sadly , now they set up her death in Marvel or George Lucas style .

For the final episode I would love to see Arya return to Gendry , the only two who truly deserve each other .
No judgement but there is a reason they call it "programming."  Nothing new, of course, but, maybe better with CGI more sex/violence, etc than the older stuff? Funny this guy doesn't even mention about cliff-hangers being a STAPLE in the beginning of the media. 

https://youtu.be/J5G6Y4v6fCI 

MV/Liberace!

I've never seen an episode of GOT.  I have no idea what it's even about.  When the series is entirely finished, I'll check it out. 

I no longer am willing to be strung along season by season, episode by episode, waiting for these shows to squeeze out an episode.  It's excruciating.  I'm glad I'll get to binge watch this one (if I like it). 

The Sopranos made people wait forever (up to two years?) for new seasons to air.  Better Call Saul is taking a similar approach.  Glad I got into The Sopranos after it was finished.  I made a mistake being impatient to see BCS.  Now I'm right there with all of the other rubes awaiting season 5.  I didn't follow my own rule with BCS.  Ugh.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Liberace! on May 13, 2019, 01:27:13 AM
I've never seen an episode of GOT.  I have no idea what it's even about.  When the series is entirely finished, I'll check it out. 

I no longer am willing to be strung along season by season, episode by episode, waiting for these shows to squeeze out an episode.  It's excruciating.  I'm glad I'll get to binge watch this one (if I like it). 

The Sopranos made people wait forever (up to two years?) for new seasons to air.  Better Call Saul is taking a similar approach.  Glad I got into The Sopranos after it was finished.  I made a mistake being impatient to see BCS.  Now I'm right there with all of the other rubes awaiting season 5.  I didn't follow my own rule with BCS.  Ugh.

There's some really dodgy acting on GoT, particularly from the younger cast members. They cleverly try and make you forget it by hiring lots of older, experienced actors in secondary roles but if there are scenes with only the young ones it can be pretty dire. It's a daytime soap with dragons, basically.

I gave up on Saul after Season 3. They got stuck between two stools and are more interested in making Saul/Jimmy sympathetic, but it doesn't work and you get whole seasons where hardly anything happens. I'm guessing that there are two groups of writers with different ideas and they're struggling to make it coherent. It's a shame because they have a good cast (although they are terrible with women) and it feels like a waste.