• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

A good telescope that can take pictures?

Started by henge0stone, August 07, 2016, 07:21:15 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: henge0stone on August 07, 2016, 07:21:15 PM
anyone know any?

http://protelescope.com/telescopes-with-cameras?automatic_type=39
These telescopes have a built in camera that can relay what you are seeing onto your computer monitor.  A good idea really as you can take still shots and/or videos.  Otherwise, I don't think there is a telescope out there that can take a photo by it's self.  Good idea though...a telescope that could shoot out a glossy Polaroid like photo, after you have pressed a certain button.  If you don't want to go the above computer route, camera shops and online science or telescope sites sell camera adapters and mounts that put your camera onto the telescope's slot where the eye piece lens is.  These have been around for years but still remain somewhat pricey IMHO.  Good luck.

norland2424

Quote from: jaz on August 07, 2016, 07:50:36 PM
For perversion or star gazing or both?  8)

Hahah i wanted to make that joke  ;D

trostol

Quote from: henge0stone on August 07, 2016, 07:21:15 PM
anyone know any?

take a look at this perhaps

https://spectrumscientifics.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/repost-spectrum-scientifics-telescope-buyers-guide/

this is his site for the store ..this should be the telescope section

http://www.spectrum-scientifics.com/Telescopes-s/1975.htm

duno how busy he is but if you have questions you might be able to email him and ask..was a good guy to work for even if he did lay me off lol

area51drone

Any telescope that uses changeable eyepieces can be used to take pictures.   You just need the adapter for your camera - hell they even make adapters for cell phone cameras now a days.   Then you use stacking software to make the prettier images.   Don't expect much, you will probably only see fuzzy black and white stuff beyond Saturn.  If you want prettier images, you need to get yourself a telescope that has a computer and tracks the object over time, as if you have never used a scope before you will see how quickly the object you're looking at will move across the viewing angle rather quickly.   Then, if you want pictures like you see in telescope magazines, you have to get an extremely large scope - something maybe on the scale of like 10".   And that's very expensive.   

I have a Celestron NextStar 114GT, and I bought a microscope eyepiece camera that hooks up to my computer with USB.  It shows you exactly what you're seeing through the eyepiece at that moment in I don't know, maybe 3 mega pixels.  I can't really remember.  But here's a snapshot of when I was looking at the moon with this setup.   You'll get nicer images with a good DSLR camera attached to the eyepiece tube but for showing the kids, this is acceptable to me.  Also, you will want to make sure your scope is collimated to get the best image possible for your scope.

I am by no means an expert, this just info that I've discovered with trying to take pictures myself.  Good luck!