• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How did you discover Art Bell?

Started by Beansmah13, August 14, 2015, 10:49:26 PM

Beansmah13

Hello! I just got my account approved and I'm very happy to be here! I was just remembering how I found Art and started listening back in the 90's and I thought it would be cool for everyone to share how they discovered Art. I will start.

It was sometime in the late 1990's and I was visiting my grandma in the middle of nowhere Ohio. The room I was sleeping in didn't have a television and I can't sleep without some kind of noise so I went looking for a radio. I found a tiny handheld radio that I had got as a free "swag" type thing that I had received at a comic convention the prior year. So I turned this little radio on and was scanning the frequencies and barely any stations came in and I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to find something to listen to. Then finally Art's voice came in crystal clear and it was like seeing a vending machine in the middle of a desert! I remember being so ecstatic to find a radio show coming in and it was actually something interesting not just country music! The show was something about aliens and I was so happy because just a few weeks prior I had seen a UFO and had developed an interest in aliens and the paranormal in general. I listened all night and was very tired the next morning when my dad and I went to a Cleveland Indians game. The next night I listened again and I've been listening ever since!

There you go, that's my story on how I discovered the man with the plan, the legend, Art Bell! I would trule love and appreciate reading all of your stories about discovering Art! Thank you in advance and I wish you a good night/day!

Caruthers612

I love your story. Not least because at this point in history, only people over a certain age will appreciate those days of transistor radios, of how cool it was to have one under your pillow at a low volume, listening to somebody talk as you fell asleep, and of what a relief it was to find a working radio when there was nothing else to do and no TV.
          I'm interested too at your comment that you can't sleep without some kind of noise. I've been wrestling with that one for a long time, how to start some talk stream going at a low volume that wil somehow fade out or stop on its own after I fall asleep.
          Anyway, in my case, it was a friend of mine, around 1997, who called me up and left this crazy, excited message on my answering machine asking me if I'd heard about Art Bell, this weird guy on the radio who talked about aliens and UFO, et al. Thereafter, our mutual enjoyment of Art's show became part of our regular dialog, my and my friend.

Beansmah13

Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 14, 2015, 11:24:42 PM
         I love your story. Not least because at this point in history, only people over a certain age will appreciate those days of transistor radios, of how cool it was to have one under your pillow at a low volume, listening to somebody talk as you fell asleep, and of what a relief it was to find a working radio when there was nothing else to do and no TV.
          I'm interested too at your comment that you can't sleep without some kind of noise. I've been wrestling with that one for a long time, how to start some talk stream going at a low volume that wil somehow fade out or stop on its own after I fall asleep.
          Anyway, in my case, it was a friend of mine, around 1997, who called me up and left this crazy, excited message on my answering machine asking me if I'd heard about Art Bell, this weird guy on the radio who talked about aliens and UFO, et al. Thereafter, our mutual enjoyment of Art's show became part of our regular dialog, my and my friend.

Thank you for your reply! I'm so glad you enjoyed my story, I enjoyed your story as well! Are you listening to the show right now and if so what do you think? I'm really enjoying it it's very interesting and I hope it's all true.

3OctaveFart

Graveyard shift at an otherwise crappy summer job in college. Salad days.

used to make fun of my college roommate for listening to Coast to Coast in 2002. Luckily that was already Nooryville

When Art's webpage changed in 2013 to "Wanna go for a ride?" this great wrestling Podcaster Bryan Alvarez starting talking up the great Art Bell. He spoke about him so often, I felt inclined to listen to Dark Matter. Art is the best in the world at what he does.

Breezy

I heard about him from my son years ago and have been listenng since 1996. I have missed him way too much since he retired from C to C. Never caught him during his short time on Sirius. I stumbled upon his new show on Facebook the last week of July and couldn't believe I could listen again. Art is as vibrant, intelligent and insightful as ever. What a gift he is to open-mindedness across the world.

Hautex

Driving across the CA high desert late at night from China Lake Naval Weapons facility. The only radio station that "skip" allowed had Art talking about the place I just left.... Truly meant to be....

It was around 1996. I'd recently started becoming paranoid when I smoked the green stuff, but was still trying to deal with it. At that time I still believed in the stoner's credo: "if you're paranoid, you just haven't smoked enough."

I was in a car late at night with this chick. We were blasting off. She started looking for something on the dial. She found some talk show where a guy was interviewing a native american guy about very strange topics. I don't remember what they were talking about, but it seemed very bizarre and was freaking me out a little bit. Even the chick was saying "What the hell? What the hell is this show?"

Sure, I was high... but the truth is that the show was very "out there" for radio at that time.

Standing the gate Midwatch on a little base near San Diego, on a cold, blustery night, way back in 1992. There was a beat up old AM radio in the guard shack. The rest is history.

ksm32

Quote from: Beansmah13 on August 14, 2015, 10:49:26 PM
It was sometime in the late 1990's and I was visiting my grandma in the middle of nowhere Ohio. The room I was sleeping in didn't have a television and I can't sleep without some kind of noise so I went looking for a radio. I found a tiny handheld radio that I had got as a free "swag" type thing that I had received at a comic convention the prior year. So I turned this little radio on and was scanning the frequencies and barely any stations came in and I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to find something to listen to. Then finally Art's voice came in crystal clear and it was like seeing a vending machine in the middle of a desert! I remember being so ecstatic to find a radio show coming in and it was actually something interesting not just country music! The show was something about aliens and I was so happy because just a few weeks prior I had seen a UFO and had developed an interest in aliens and the paranormal in general. I listened all night and was very tired the next morning when my dad and I went to a Cleveland Indians game. The next night I listened again and I've been listening ever since!

Yeah, that's good. Organic and flat out circumstance.

First time I heard Art.. 1994. Kicked out of a bar and went home early. TV didn't appeal to me that night so I thought, WTF! let's see what's on the radio. Started spinning the dial and came across "UFO". I thought UFO? Who the hell is talking about UFO's on the radio..? Turns out, it was Art telling all listening (as well as John Lear) about the big triangle sighting he and Ramona had on the way home a few nights before.   That was it until 97.

..1997 When our drummer was telling me about this radio show that had a priest on talking about the 3rd secret of Fatima. He said it freaked him out, but he loved it.   He then elaborated on how the show covers all kinds of cool stuff.   I started to realize that he was talking about the same show I heard by chance a few years earlier.      Then like a snowball I rolled with it..  Here we are.

Sorry for the long winded filibuster, cheers :)

CozyRozie

By visiting Abandoned Children Place.

Norm

On 3770kc or thereabouts. The 'Little Peoples' Net on the ham radio bands. Steve Wingate, K6TXH, the drunken madman jammed Art continuously. Art reported him when Steve flew a small plane over Art's trailer in Pahrump. He was investigated and a 5150 hold was put on him. He took it personally, Art didn't.

CozyRozie

Quote from: Norm on June 29, 2017, 12:26:05 AM
On 3770kc or thereabouts. The 'Little Peoples' Net on the ham radio bands. Steve Wingate, K6TXH, the drunken madman jammed Art continuously. Art reported him when Steve flew a small plane over Art's trailer in Pahrump. He was investigated and a 5150 hold was put on him. He took it personally, Art didn't.
what's that ?

CozyRozie

Quote from: th'ONE on June 29, 2017, 04:27:45 PM
what's that ?

OK, I got it,
"Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) (in particular, the Lantermanâ€"Petrisâ€"Short Act or "LPS") which authorizes a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves, a danger to others, and/or gravely disabled."

..that's strange that Art didn't reported himself when he was flying his drone inside his mobil-home house with young daughter beside him and Art got cut like a pig endangering safety and life of his 5 years old daughter.

]

Laurakinch

Quote from: th'ONE on June 28, 2017, 11:09:55 PM

By visiting Abandoned Children Place.

Okay this gave me a chuckle even though you're an annoying asshole

Robert

He came on WABC in the time slot, & largely filling the role, previously filled by John Bachelor & Paul Alexander in their "Conspiracy Radio" show; I don't know what its official name was.  Plus, Curtis Sliwa on WABC made fun of Bell.

comaphobe

I discovered Art Bell while driving a taxi in the middle of the night.

I may have had a couple of chupacabras and shapeshifters in my car before, as well as the goings on of stuff you aren't supposed to talk about. Art Bell was the only logical choice.

Hail satan.

CozyRozie

Quote from: Laurakinch on June 29, 2017, 06:28:22 PM
Okay this gave me a chuckle even though you're an annoying asshole

;) I might win you over one day and we might even hug /digitally/ lol,..and since I'm sipping on George's Clooney tequila tonight I'm raising a glass to you and having a big sip..