• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Me Decade: Movies, TV

Started by Nucky Nolan, November 13, 2012, 12:24:18 AM

HorrorRetro

Dennis Weaver and Susan Dey star in this one.  It's the family on a camping trip terrorized by hippies in dune buggies and bikes.  It's pretty good though.

Terror on the Beach (1973)

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 14, 2012, 08:55:29 PM
Those buried alive stories in the early seventies were prompted by the 1968 true case of Barbara Jane Mackle, a 20-year old Emory University student, who was kidnapped and buried alive northeast of Atlanta.  She was put in a fiberglas box with water, sedatives and a couple of air tubes.  She was the daughter of a wealthy Florida real estate developer. 

The kidnappers demanded money and received half a million dollars. They telephoned vague directions to Barbara Jane's location, and the FBI finally found her after she had been buried for three days.  It was quite a notorious case at the time.  It gives me chills to think about it.

That was a particularly disturbing and horrible case that brought the subterranean school bus to mind. Of course, the makers of this thread's subject latched onto them. I thought of another sub-genre that had yet to be introduced. Does anybody else recall the TV movies about the evil mothers-in-law who despise/kidnap/conceal/torment their helpless daughters-in-law?

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: McPhallus on November 13, 2012, 05:21:48 AM
The original Incredible Hulk TV series still gets me.  I was too young for the original run, but something about the melancholy 70s landscape portrayed in that show is haunting.  And the sad, laconic piano theme.

I meant to reply to your post. Bill Bixby, as Bruce Banner, epitomized the melancholic traits that you mentioned, to the extent that I thought that he was depressed in real life. This show was more like a sad version of "Highway To Heaven" or "Touched By An Angel" rather than a comic book transformed into a TV show. Lou Ferrigno is a bit depressing too.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 09:19:29 PM
Dennis Weaver and Susan Dey star in this one.  It's the family on a camping trip terrorized by hippies in dune buggies and bikes.  It's pretty good though.

The villains can't all be cultists. Dennis "McCloud" Weaver also starred in the TV movie, "Duel" (1971), which was Steven Spielberg's first main film. We also can't forget "Pray For The Wildcats" (1974), which starred Andy Griffith, William Shatner, Robert Reed, and Marjoe Gortner, who became an evangelist. The flick featured outlaw bikers (where's Billy Jack now?), which were right up there with cultists and bad seeds during this era.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 14, 2012, 09:28:36 PM
That was a particularly disturbing and horrible case that brought the subterranean school bus to mind. Of course, the makers of this thread's subject latched onto them. I thought of another sub-genre that had yet to be introduced. Does anybody else recall the TV movies about the evil mothers-in-law who despise/kidnap/conceal/torment their helpless daughters-in-law?

Here's one that comes to mind, "You'll Like my Mother," starring Patty Duke and Richard Thomas.  "Francesa Kinsolving, a very pregnant widow whose husband was rescently killed in action in Vietnam, travels to visit her late husband's mother in a snowy Minnesota town only to get snowed in during a fierce blizard where she's forced to wait it out only to slowly uncover some terrible dark secrets that Mrs. Kinsolving has been hiding, one of them is her psychotic other son, a recent escapee from a lunatic asylum, who is shacked up in the basement of the house."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYVmwCGrpg

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 09:49:13 PM
Here's one that comes to mind, "You'll Like my Mother," starring Patty Duke and Richard Thomas.  "Francesa Kinsolving, a very pregnant widow whose husband was rescently killed in action in Vietnam, travels to visit her late husband's mother in a snowy Minnesota town only to get snowed in during a fierce blizard where she's forced to wait it out only to slowly uncover some terrible dark secrets that Mrs. Kinsolving has been hiding, one of them is her psychotic other son, a recent escapee from a lunatic asylum, who is shacked up in the basement of the house."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYVmwCGrpg

LOL I saw that one! If I remember correctly, there are more films like that one. This might be confabulation on my part, but I remember another film in which policemen kill the psychotic mom-in-law, who's carrying her related-by-marriage prey on a road. It might be a scene from the movie that you were kind enough to post, but I couldn't swear to it.

Nucky Nolan

Jasmine, you mentioned "The Devil's Rain" (1975) in the other thread. I saw that one too, and the melting scenes were burned into my warping mind. It's likely that such devil movies and Jack Chick tracts made me the head case that I am today. It's hard to say which one damaged more young psyches. Like you said in the other post, one needed a score card for these cinematic and television presentations. There even was a short spate of such films in the late '80s to early '90s. Vampire films are similar in that way (my vampiric phase took place when Ann Rice routinely was in the news). Speaking of such creatures of the night, I'm sure that there are some "Dark Shadows" fans in the (haunted) house.   

Jasmine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 09:12:28 PM
Yep, the squeaky clean Waltons had a poltergeist up on Walton's Mountain.  ;D  I think the episode is called the Changeling.  The episode used to be on YouTube, but now I can only find clips.  :-[

Well, ya know, it MUST have been network rating sweeps week for the writers to pen that script, and for the producers to green-light it!

"Good night, ma! Good night, pa! Good night, Mary Ellen! Good night, John-Boy! Good night, evil shadowy ectoplasmic phantasm!"

Thank you for uploading "You'll Like My Mother"! I've never seen that one! I'm going to watch it tomorrow. It sounds scathingly creepy, dark and delicious! Mmmm...Minnesota blizzard, a Goth house, a lunatic in the cellar, and it stars Patty Duke, no less! Gracias.

Nucky Nolan, I do indeed enjoy "Dark Shadows".  So delectable, so Goth. I admire Angelique. Joan Bennett was very memorable in the series, too. I love the wild story arcs.

Sardondi

Wow! Looks like the 70's B horror movies were for faded movie stars what Murder She Wrote was in the 80's and 90's.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 11:59:49 AM
Speaking of The Waltons, does anyone remember the poltergeist episode?... 

10-to-1 it was from the perspective of the theory their causation is related to the presence of emotionally stressed pubescent girls.

Quote from: Jasmine on November 14, 2012, 06:16:22 PM
Here's a TV movie from 1978, The Ghost of Flight 401. Based on the actual 1972 crash of a jumbo jet in the Florida Everglades.
An aircraft crashes in the Florida Everglades, killing 101 passengers. After the wreckage is removed, salvageable parts from the plane are used to repair other aircraft. Soon passengers and crew on those aircraft report seeing what they believe to be the ghost of the wrecked airplane's flight engineer.

That story survives to this day. Even heard a call about it on an old Ghost-to-Ghost. They aren't still having sightings today are they? Certainly the offending parts are long gone.

Re:
Quote from: UFO Fill on November 14, 2012, 08:55:29 PM
Those buried alive stories in the early seventies were prompted by the 1968 true case of Barbara Jane Mackle....
Did she survive? Seems I recall another similar kidnap/hostage event in which the young girl suffocated. Plus there's the event in Dirty Harry in which the girl "Scorpio" (read "Zodiac") kidnapped and held thus died as well.

Jasmine

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 14, 2012, 09:19:29 PM

Terror on the Beach (1973)

I think this is a groovy TV flick. It's a "beach-dune buggy" variant of "Duel" with Dennis Weaver.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 15, 2012, 06:59:59 AM
Wow! Looks like the 70's B horror movies were for faded movie stars what Murder She Wrote was in the 80's and 90's.

These early to mid 70's TV movies were the precursor of "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" re stars of yesterday making appearances.

Re:   
Did she survive? Seems I recall another similar kidnap/hostage event in which the young girl suffocated. Plus there's the event in Dirty Harry in which the girl "Scorpio" (read "Zodiac") kidnapped and held thus died as well.

She survived. The FBI found Barbara Jane Mackie in the nick of time. The two kidnappers were apprehended in Florida, I believe. It's a story which has stuck with me.

Eddie Coyle

What Charles Manson did to the beach dune buggy...before 1969, who would have thought of those things as malevolent machinery of madmen?

Juan

Yes, she survived and wrote the book that was cited earlier. The FBI agent who dug her up was the father of a friend of mine. The linked movie is actually an unauthorized adaptation of the book.  The movie was subject of litigation, so it was only shown once, even though the network was later relieved of any liability.

Jasmine

And, Darlings, HOW could we forget Ms. Karen Black in "Trilogy of Terror"!! That infamous and evil voodoo doll!

Trilogy of Terror (Full Movie) (1975)

Trilogy of Terror - Karen Black (1975) Full Movie

And...

From 1971, this ABC made-for-TV suspense, "In Broad Daylight". A blind actor discovers his wife is cheating on him with his best friend, and hatches a plot to murder them both. Starring Richard Boone, Suzanne Pleshette, and Stella Stevens.

In Broad Daylight (Full Movie) (1971)

In Broad Daylight (1971) Full Movie.wmv

Jasmine

from 1970, "Weekend of Terror". Three nuns on a weekend trip are held hostage by escaped convicts. Starring Robert Conrad,
Caroly Lynley (as a nun!), Lee Majors, and the wonderful Lois Nettleton.

"Weekend of Terror (Full Movie) (1970)

Weekend of Terror (1970)

And speaking of Lois Nettleton, she starred in this very cool 1972 made-for TV film, "Women in Chains". Lois plays a parole officer who goes undercover to enter a women's prison as an inmate in order to investigate prison brutality. A good one.

"Women in Chains" (Full Movie) (1972)

Women In Chains (1972) Full Movie

Jasmine

Here's a pretty good one. From 1973, a made-for-TV flick, Outrage. One man decides to wage war against a gang of teenage punks besieging an affluent California community. Based on a true incident. Starring Robert Culp and Marlyn Mason.

"Outrage" (Full Movie) (1973)

Outrage (1973) Full movie.

Also, from 1974, the made-for-TV flick, "The Strange and Deadly Occurrence", starring Robert Stack and Vera Miles. A family moves into a new home in an isolated area, and soon realizes that someone, or something, doesn't want them there.

"The Strange and Deadly Occurrence" (Full Movie) (1974)

The Strange and Deadly Occurrence (1974)

Jasmine

From 1978, it's the made-for-TV flick, "Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell". Starring Richard Crenna, Yvette Mimieux, and that Disney child star gone bad, Kim Richards.

A typical suburban family adopts a sweet, furry, precious and cute-as-HELL puppy, not knowing that puppy is the spawn of Satan, and the intent is to possess the entire family and open the gates of hell...or somethin' like that.

"Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell" (Full Movie) (1978)

Devil Dog Hound of Hell (FULL MOVIE)

Jasmine

From 1974, an ABC Movie of the Week, Cry Panic. A man accidentally runs over and kills a pedestrian outside a small town. He begins to suspect that the locals, including the sheriff, are keeping secrets about the victim. (IMDB).

Starring John Forsythe, Earl Holliman, and Anne Francis.

Cry Panic (Full Movie) (1974)

Cry Panic (1974) Full Movie

And THIS one is just right out there - bat shit crazy bizarre. It`s a HOOT to watch! The tale of a cross-dressing outlaw and his friend. This has got to be cult film somewhere. This baby must have had a production budget of one hundred bucks, and it shows! Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971). 

From IMDB: Stanley and Paul, a pair of friends on the run from the law, rent a house in the Miami suburbs, where they decide the best way to lay low is for Paul to dress as a woman and pretend to be Stanley's Aunt Martha. Not too long after the pair move into their new home, Paul suddenly murders a young woman Stanley brings home with him. Paul's violent tendencies continue to spin out of control, and soon nobody who comes near is safe from him.

Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (Full Movie) (1971)

Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things

HorrorRetro

There were some great suspense shows from the UK during the '70s as well.  I love the Thriller series. 

Here are a few:

Someone at the Top of the Stairs:  A young woman and her friend rent a room in an old dark mansion. Soon they become aware of the fact that the other "renters" are a very strange lot, starring Donna Mills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygd98YUEmrw

File it Under Fear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHIADx6R82I&feature=related

A place to Die:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5yii8KEsA&feature=relmfu

Jasmine

HorrorRetro, thank you so much! My husband and I are huge Brit TV/film fanatics. These look simply divine! I've never heard of this old 70's British series, yet after previewing the links you thoughtfully provided, I will no doubt watch these later. My husband will absolutely love these! I don't think he's heard of this series, either.

In my humble opinion, the British win hands down when it comes to the mystery-suspense genre. We've been to the United Kingdom several times...I simply adore it, darling!  :D

To sit and watch these superlative shows, one requires a pot of freshly brewed Earl Grey tea, fresh scones with jam and clotted cream, and a cozy comforter with which to wrap one's self in while being swept up in the brilliant scripts and performances.

Cheers, mate!

Jaz

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Jasmine on November 15, 2012, 12:57:36 PM
HorrorRetro, thank you so much! My husband and I are huge Brit TV/film fanatics. These look simply divine! I've never heard of this old 70's British series, yet after previewing the links you thoughtfully provided, I will no doubt watch these later. My husband will absolutely love these! I don't think he's heard of this series, either.

In my humble opinion, the British win hands down when it comes to the mystery-suspense genre. We've been to the United Kingdom several times...I simply adore it, darling!  :D

To sit and watch these superlative shows, one requires a pot of freshly brewed Earl Grey tea, fresh scones with jam and clotted cream, and a cozy comforter with which to wrap one's self in while being swept up in the brilliant scripts and performances.

Cheers, mate!

Jaz

Earl Grey rules! 

There are a bunch of Thriller links on YouTube.  My favorite Thriller episode is Possession.  The way Greensleeves is used throughout the show is eerie.  They are all excellent episodes; I don't think I've seen a bad one.

Thriller: Possession (1973 TV Series)

Jasmine

Here's the famous 1969 "Night Gallery" episode starring Joan Crawford and directed by Steven Spielberg (his first directing job).

Night Gallery - "Eyes" - Part One

Joan Crawford in Night Gallery "Eyes" 1969 (Part 1)

Night Gallery - "Eyes" - Part Two

Joan Crawford in Night Gallery "Eyes" 1969 (Part 2)

Night Gallery - "Eyes" - Part Three

Joan Crawford in Night Gallery "Eyes" 1969 (Part 3)

And another very well done Night Gallery episode, "The Cemetery".  A black-sheep nephew murders his ailing uncle for the inheritance only to find some disturbing changes in the old man's painting of the family graveyard.

Night Gallery - "The Cemetery"

Night Gallery: The Cemetery

Sardondi

Quote from: Jasmine on November 15, 2012, 01:21:00 PM
Here's the famous 1969 "Night Gallery" episode starring Joan Crawford and directed by Steven Spielberg (his first directing job).....

And another very well done Night Gallery episode, "The Cemetery".  A black-sheep nephew murders his ailing uncle for the inheritance only to find some disturbing changes in the old man's painting of the family graveyard....

I remember both! And I think swingin' Roddy McDowell was also in The Cemetery. Saw both when they were initially broadcast over 40 years ago, and remember them still. I also remember one episode that scared me was about a man whose enemy convinced him through audiotapes (post-mortem maybe?) that he'd injected him with something that would turn him into a huge, sightless maggot/worm (falsely perhaps, IIRC). There were enough corroborating physical effects that the man was driven to suicide rather than to be reduced to an otherwise human and thinking legless, armless pupa. Scared this young teen to death for some reason. 

HorrorRetro

I, too, remember both those Night Gallery episodes.  We have a station here that plays Night Gallery at 1 a.m. on weekdays, so I Tivo each episode.  Great show.  I remember sitting up with my grandma late at night at watching Night Gallery.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 15, 2012, 02:24:18 PM
I, too, remember both those Night Gallery episodes.  We have a station here that plays Night Gallery at 1 a.m. on weekdays, so I Tivo each episode.  Great show.  I remember sitting up with my grandma late at night at watching Night Gallery.

Same here, I watch pretty much every night at 1:30am...I wish they'd show the episodes chronologically though. They jumped from 1970 to 72 last week. Unless they were doing a Joanna Pettet tribute that I wasn't aware of.

Nucky Nolan

Speaking of British TV shows, "Hammer House of Horror" and "She Wolf of London" are guilty pleasures. I love the theme song of the former program. The "Night Gallery" clips brought to mind another show that was similar. I'm sure that someone recalls a horror anthology series that went by the name of "Ghost Story". There were a few such offerings at the same time. BTW, Stella Stevens was as ubiquitous in her day as Tom Hanks and Samuel L. Jackson are in their era. She must have appeared in a quarter of these presentations. That's an exaggeration, but one can be forgiven for believing it's true.

Sardondi

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 15, 2012, 07:54:45 PM
...BTW, Stella Stevens was as ubiquitous in her day as Tom Hanks and Samuel L. Jackson are in their era. She must have appeared in a quarter of these presentations. That's an exaggeration, but one can be forgiven for believing it's true.

Stella Stevens was a babe. BTW, is it true she has a BF about 40 years younger than herself?

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on November 15, 2012, 11:04:18 PM
Stella Stevens was a babe. BTW, is it true she has a BF about 40 years younger than herself?

I don't think that she robbed the Barco-lounger. Her beau's brother played guitar for Kiss, though.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 16, 2012, 12:34:05 AM
Her beau's brother played guitar for Kiss, though.

Bob Kulick pinch-hit for Ace as well. Primarily on ALIVE II. Not credited at the time though.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 16, 2012, 12:37:55 AM
   Bob Kulick pinch-hit for Ace as well. Primarily on ALIVE II. Not credited at the time though.

It's noticeable that the Kulick/Stevens relationship is somewhat like the Simmons/Tweed relationship. How strange for a rock star to marry a Playboy model.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 16, 2012, 12:47:27 AM
It's noticeable that the Kulick/Stevens relationship is somewhat like the Simmons/Tweed relationship. How strange for a rock star to marry a Playboy model.
I believe Motley Crue is 4-4 in that department with their original members. KISS being the trendsetters of course...in all the worst ways. I'd rather be Eddie Slovik than join the KISS army.