• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Stan Deyo

Started by Juan Cena, September 11, 2014, 12:15:23 AM

Juan Cena

I think it's fair to say t that Stan Deyo has flown off the rails tonight.

paladin1991

I caught part of the interview on my way home fm work.

I will have to go back and listen to it again.  His timeline kept throwing me....

What a nut job.  He claims he's a physicist, then gives an analysis that a junior high school student could disprove in a few minutes.

According to Deyo the Earth has expanded 20% in the past few thousand years because, according to him, dinosaurs (which he says existed a few thousand years ago) couldn't support their own weight under the Earth's current gravity.  How?  Where is the energy coming from that is driving the Earth's expansion?  He seemed to imply a constant mass expansion but never explained anything about the process.  He then said that the dinosaurs would weigh 1/3 less because of centrifugal force from the Earth spinning.  Preposterous!!!!!!

His claim was that the Earth would spin every 19 hours or so.  He seems to have gotten this by assuming because the Earth is 20% smaller, it spins 20% faster.  Wrong!  He has to do an angular momentum balance.  Now, because the Earth's angular momentum is weighted towards its iron-nickel core, the change in spin rate would probably be less than he expects, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and modeled the Earth as a homogeneous sphere (also, it was easier to calculate).  That yielded a day 15.4 hours long, which means a higher angular velocity than he was calculating -- therefore giving him maximum benefit of the doubt. 

Currently centrifugal force, at the equator, is forcing us out about 0.35% as strongly as gravity is pulling us in.  His smaller, faster spinning Earth would increase that outward force to about 0.67% of our gravity1 -- still absolutely negligible and a far cry from his 33%.  But more importantly, if the Earth had been 20% smaller in his constant mass expansion scenario, we would be 20% closer to the center of the Earth, and therefore gravity would be 56% stronger than it is now.  The dinosaurs would weigh 1.56 times as much as they would without Deyo's expanding Earth.

I won't even go into his complete dismissal (or ignorance) of plate tectonics in his description of Pangaea.

How the hell can this guy call himself a physicist if he can't do high school math or logic?

1When he says 20% smaller, I assumed he was talking about diameter.  Since the rest of his analysis was so badly thought out I don't think he would have bothered doing the calculations for an Earth 20% smaller in volume.

VtaGeezer

Deyo's another of the plague of C2C parasites loosed on the world by Art Bell.  IIRC, he began as a caller back in AB's "The Coming Global Superstorm" days; self-described as a child prodigy Air Force Academy drop-out genius and self-taught nucular physicist whom Edward Teller sought out for advise.  He could spin a good line of pseudo-science bullshit and became Bell regular.  He discovered that there's gold in them C2C-land hills, and became a full-time bullshit peddler to impressionable paranoids, much like the rest of the C2C pantheon. He's repeatedly morphed into expertship on whatever the current threat to humanity may be...as recognized by full-mooners; UFOs, solar flares, global warming, earthquakes, the Apocalypse. He and Mrs. Deyo had to flee the US for some years because they were being hunted by the NWO.  Seems the NWO has a statute of limitations (much like larceny laws) because now they've back in the USA, having found Jesus in the Outback, as hard core creationists.  I tuned in to hear him for old time's sake...Deyo's as smooth phony and snake oil peddler as you'll find.  I burst out laughing in the dark when the retired Border Patrol guy called and said Deyo and Qayle are true intellects.

albrecht

What is so awesome, or crazy, about Deyo (and other guests) is they are actually regressing to older theories. I was recently reading about various polar explorations (amazing true stories of survival and real deprivation but also amazing discovery) and you know the whole "hollow earth" theory was very mainstream. As was the idea of an "open ocean," even sub-tropical in climate, at the North Pole (the theory went that the warm ocean currents, Kuroshio and Gulf-Stream, would bring warm water up to the Arctic. The ice we see was just a "wall" of ice with some warm water beyond it.)  Or that heat would "be attracted" to the poles due to the spin of the earth. Also, this idea of an "expanding earth" was a scientific idea for a time (versus plate tectonics that is, relatively, new. Many prominent scientists, governments, and explorers believed these half-cocked theories and funded explorations based on them. Deyo (and others of his ilk) either have just read old papers and theories and say they are their own. Or coming up, like people in our past, with theories as people speculated century(s) ago (but now we have data, satellites, expeditions to the regions, etc!)

Quote from: albrecht on September 11, 2014, 01:17:40 PM
What is so awesome, or crazy, about Deyo (and other guests) is they are actually regressing to older theories. I was recently reading about various polar explorations (amazing true stories of survival and real deprivation but also amazing discovery) and you know the whole "hollow earth" theory was very mainstream. As was the idea of an "open ocean," even sub-tropical in climate, at the North Pole (the theory went that the warm ocean currents, Kuroshio and Gulf-Stream, would bring warm water up to the Arctic. The ice we see was just a "wall" of ice with some warm water beyond it.)  Or that heat would "be attracted" to the poles due to the spin of the earth. Also, this idea of an "expanding earth" was a scientific idea for a time (versus plate tectonics that is, relatively, new. Many prominent scientists, governments, and explorers believed these half-cocked theories and funded explorations based on them. Deyo (and others of his ilk) either have just read old papers and theories and say they are their own. Or coming up, like people in our past, with theories as people speculated century(s) ago (but now we have data, satellites, expeditions to the regions, etc!)

I, too, find a lot of these pseudoscientists drag out long discounted scientific models and arguments from the 1800s or earlier, calling it good science, and completely discount the huge body of data we've accumulated since then with much more diverse and accurate methods and measurements.  Some will go back to the very subjective types of ideas that modern science was specifically designed to test using objective means, and has consequently falsified.  They pass themselves off as 'self-taught' scientists when they're the exact opposite -- rejecting the scientific method!  It makes me wonder why we've even bothered with the last couple hundred years if people like this are going to become increasingly popular and regress our communal knowledge so far.

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 11, 2014, 02:02:33 PM
I, too, find a lot of these pseudoscientists drag out long discounted scientific models and arguments from the 1800s or earlier, calling it good science, and completely discount the huge body of data we've accumulated since then with much more diverse and accurate methods and measurements.  Some will go back to the very subjective types of ideas that modern science was specifically designed to test using objective means, and has consequently falsified.  They pass themselves off as 'self-taught' scientists when they're the exact opposite -- rejecting the scientific method!  It makes me wonder why we've even bothered with the last couple hundred years if people like this are going to become increasingly popular and regress our communal knowledge so far.
His, and other guest "experts", maps look like the old maps ones sees from centuries ago. (But not as good quality or craftsmanship or care in making.) 'There be dragons', open ice in the arctic, etc. You are so correct. I really wonder though. You think they "just came up with it" by sheer speculation and unscientific training (for example, the "expanding earth" theory looks good by looking at a globe and map and connecting the continents and thinking, like a child would, if "I blow up a balloon") or do you think they are outright charlatans who found old books or read old history maps and said "you know schools don't teach history of science and exploration, kids don't read HG Wells or Sagas, I can use this old stuff as a new theory!"? Or, honestly crazy, and believe in the theories as some "forgotten truth" etc? In any event I sometimes like them. Especially those like Thompson and that South African guy about hollow earth.

Juan Cena

Quote from: VtaGeezer on September 11, 2014, 12:45:50 PM
Deyo's another of the plague of C2C parasites loosed on the world by Art Bell.  IIRC, he began as a caller back in AB's "The Coming Global Superstorm" days; self-described as a child prodigy Air Force Academy drop-out genius and self-taught nucular physicist whom Edward Teller sought out for advise.  He could spin a good line of pseudo-science bullshit and became Bell regular.  He discovered that there's gold in them C2C-land hills, and became a full-time bullshit peddler to impressionable paranoids, much like the rest of the C2C pantheon. He's repeatedly morphed into expertship on whatever the current threat to humanity may be...as recognized by full-mooners; UFOs, solar flares, global warming, earthquakes, the Apocalypse. He and Mrs. Deyo had to flee the US for some years because they were being hunted by the NWO.  Seems the NWO has a statute of limitations (much like larceny laws) because now they've back in the USA, having found Jesus in the Outback, as hard core creationists.  I tuned in to hear him for old time's sake...Deyo's as smooth phony and snake oil peddler as you'll find.  I burst out laughing in the dark when the retired Border Patrol guy called and said Deyo and Qayle are true intellects.

He found Jesus in the Outback, then moved to Colorado and found Ayn Rand, as it would appear from his opening greeting.

Quote from: albrecht on September 11, 2014, 07:52:23 PM
His, and other guest "experts", maps look like the old maps ones sees from centuries ago. (But not as good quality or craftsmanship or care in making.) 'There be dragons', open ice in the arctic, etc. You are so correct. I really wonder though. You think they "just came up with it" by sheer speculation and unscientific training (for example, the "expanding earth" theory looks good by looking at a globe and map and connecting the continents and thinking, like a child would, if "I blow up a balloon") or do you think they are outright charlatans who found old books or read old history maps and said "you know schools don't teach history of science and exploration, kids don't read HG Wells or Sagas, I can use this old stuff as a new theory!"? Or, honestly crazy, and believe in the theories as some "forgotten truth" etc? In any event I sometimes like them. Especially those like Thompson and that South African guy about hollow earth.

I've been thinking of how to answer that.  I usually default to thinking people are being honest and believe what they are presenting.  However, dealing with someone who I thought was a friend awhile ago, who I was consistently catching in little lies, taught me some strategies people use in trying to cover up their lies.  She had a very definite pattern of techniques she would try one after the other, each one escalating in severity.  Fortunately or unfortunately, I've put that behind me and don't remember all the specifics.

In any case, after I listen to some of these 'experts' a few times, and look at some of their interactions on the internet, I often start to uncover some of the same patterns.  One common one is to ridicule people who politely ask reasonable questions that don't support their argument.   Another is to deflect questions by subtly changing the context and firing it back in an angry accusatory manner, simultaneously avoiding the question and putting the person asking it on the defensive. 

I don't think it's all about money.  I think a lot of it has to do with receiving attention and admiration.  I point to John Lear who I've seen come to a couple of forums like this one.  He spends days or even weeks building up the suspense to some 'new discovery.'  People act a little cautiously at first, but end up falling in line because they respect the Lear name.  He continues to lead them along and shoots down anyone who shows some skepticism, until finally revealing his revelation and refusing to accept any science based arguments refuting it.  In his case, I think he has spent his life trying to step out of the shadow of his father, but ironically uses the Lear name to gain credibility.  As for Stan Deyo, I don't know.

I'm sure none of this is a revelation but I used to be a little naive in how I viewed people.  What are your thoughts?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 12, 2014, 02:45:58 PM

I don't think it's all about money.  I think a lot of it has to do with receiving attention and admiration.
It's mostly about the money. And successfully hooking the suckers by the thousands on C2C instead of making chump change holding "seminars" in rented meeting rooms. 

I like his old appearance on C2C where Art had to tell him to stop reading his internet site and pay attention. So full of himself and shit that he gets distracted from pushing his garbage. Narcissus of charlatans.