• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michio Kaku

Started by Silent, December 30, 2010, 07:07:07 PM

ArtBellFan

I have 99% of Michio Kaku's shows in mp3 format and can upload them here, why jump through hoops with these programs where you have sign up, download their program and upload shows to them or they won't let you use it, in most cases have to wait forever to download a file.   If you don't want to do it the easy way that is fine with me also.

HAL 9000

Quote from: ArtBellFan on January 05, 2011, 04:33:45 PMI have 99% of Michio Kaku's shows in mp3 format and can upload them here, why jump through hoops with these programs where you have sign up, download their program and upload shows to them or they won't let you use it, in most cases have to wait forever to download a file.   If you don't want to do it the easy way that is fine with me also.

How many show do you have, and how many files are there?

I honestly have no idea what you're referring to above. I have been around "file sharing" in all its forms for many years, and humbly, am an expert at the process. I've used Rapidshare since it started, and recently have been using MediaFire. There is a 30 second wait at RS and NO wait at Medifire.

I have a 500MB filesize limit at RS and 200MB filesize limit at MediaFire. Signup at either is free, but the downloader need never signup. At RS, I have a storage amount of 50GB, and unlimited so long at a file is downloaded once in a 90 day period. There is currently no time limit with MediaFire, so long as your account remains active (per their FAQ). You can download files simultaneously, no waiting, and no CAPTCHA requirements.

Let's pretend you have 30 Michio Kaku shows, but they're split into 4-mp3s per show (as are current shows) - that would be 120 files for you to upload, and 120 files for us to down... doesn't it make sense to download just a few files rather than hundreds?

I would be interested in knowing 3 things: how many shows do you have, how many files do they comprise, and what is the total size in MB/GB?

I send my dad entire movies and complete seasons of TV shows over AIM all the time - just drag and drop. Depending on your data (how many shows, how many files, and how much data) you can transfer them to to me over AIM, and I'll combine these so that eack show is only one mp3, and about one-half the size of the original. Then people only have to download a few files rather tham hundreds.

I'm just trying to make it easier on everyone - if I was uploading albums (which I do) I sure wouldn't upload every song individually, if I could do it all in one file. Similar concept here.

But imagine - if you have 150 files, at a limit of 5 attached files per post, that's at least 30 posts - or with my method, they would all be included in ONE post.

Food for thought only - do as you will. See how much total data you have, and maybe you can just transfer over AIM, and I'll combine them properly, and give the a standardized naming nomenclature. If in .ra format, I'd rather have the origianl rather than "recorded" mp3s, which would less efficient than I can convert them to...

Interested if nothing else, to see what and how much you have.  No matter how you approach it, I'll be converting and renaming into standardized format anyway... good luck.

An afterthought - YouSendIt is a bad deal - I think you said 6GB of storage? RS gives me 50GB, and MediaFire, doesn't have any limit from what I can tell. One also doesn't need special software to upload - you can use your browser just as you do here. Anyways, adios, sianara and auf wiedersehen.

Downloading:

ArtBellFan

Pretty much every show Art did with Michio, downloaded them from the Coast website over the years via my streamlink.  All I have to do is get the dates from Coast web site so I know which CD's I have them on..Just checked and have everything from 2002 forward plus older shows from the nineties up to 2000.  They are all in mp3 format.

ArtBellFan

8/22/97, 9/24/97, 11/20/97, 2/24/98, 5/14/98, 12/15/98, 7/15/99, 5/22/00, 7/11/00, 9/4/00, 2/06/01, 5/24/01, 8/7/01

These interviews took place before 2002, have to check to see how many of them I have, think most.

ArtBellFan

Art's interview with Michio Kaku from 09-12-02

[attachment deleted by admin]

Silent

Quote from: ArtBellFan on January 05, 2011, 11:41:05 PM
Art's interview with Michio Kaku from 09-12-02

Thanks again!  This is another one I didn't have.

ArtBellFan

Art Bell interviews Michio Kaku on 01-08-05

ArtBellFan

Art Bell - Michio Kaku - 12-15-03

Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 30, 2010, 09:22:23 PM
I have a bit of a story about this guest.

I first heard coast to coast around 1995 when I happened to catch it with my Father. While I liked the show I couldn't really get into it because of high school and the schedule I was on, except the odd weekend. In 1997 after I graduated high school I began my first year of University, studying Fine Arts. That fall I was up at a friend's cabin for a weekend. We smoked a joint and threw on the radio and happened to stumble across C2C. It was the first time my friend had heard it ever, and the first time I had come back to the show in a long time. The guest was a guy who was talking about the weirdest stuff - time travel, black holes and the 10th dimension. Unlike most of the guests on the show, he seemed to have an air of expertise and spoke with authority on these esoteric topics. It was Michio Kaku.

I was hanging on his every word. He had me hook line and sinker.

When I got back in town I raced to the nearest bookstore to pick up the book "that guy on C2C wrote".  I devoured his book Hyperspace and then started looking around for other books by Kaku, Sagan, Hawking and Einstein. I was so amazed by this new intellectual landscape in front of me that I dropped out of Fine Arts, went back to high school and picked up my physics, math and chemistry. This was no small task - all my life I had problems with mathematics and the physical sciences. A lot of people told me I was crazy when they heard I was going to do this. This time, I *wanted* to do well in these subjects and learn the material so I could more fully understand the theories that interested me. I nailed all of my courses and when I went back to University two years later I was accepted into the Faculty of Science and began to study physics. I earned my BSc with full honors in 2004 and I'm now working on my Ph.D. in Astrophysics.

If it weren't for hearing Michio Kaku talk about this stuff that night I would never have found his book and I would never have made the moves that I did. I owe my current path in life to his book Hyperspace and that Coast to Coast episode in 1997! :)

Good on you. This is a great story.

Silent

I found Michio news on CNN today.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/18/firefly.returns.ew/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Maybe some good news for Firefly fans also.

onan

Quote from: Silent on February 19, 2011, 01:14:58 PM
I found Michio news on CNN today.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/18/firefly.returns.ew/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Maybe some good news for Firefly fans also.

I'd pay some serious money to have that show come back for more episodes. I doubt though it will happen that kind of magic doesn't happen all that often.

Sliders was another one of those "magic" shows for me. Lots of good memories with that one.

And there's a Michio Kaku reference in there too - a kid during the opening credits can be seen reading Kaku's book "Hyperspace".

Sy-Klone

Dr. Michio Kaku is scheduled to be a guest on this Thursday.

Unfortunately, he's a guest of George. This disappoints me greatly. Dr. Kaku has usually been paired with Art to great effect. I simply do not think George has what it takes to interview an actual scientist of Dr. Kaku's statute with any degree of poise or intellect.

Art + Dr. Kaku = Very Informative, Engaging Intellectual Discussion
George + Dr. Kaku = 100 Monkeys at 100 Typewriters Randomly Pecking Toward Shakespeare

I can't bring myself to listen, and I love all of Art's shows with Dr. Kaku. I find Dr. Kaku's work fascinating, but I have absolutely no confidence that George can articulate, frame, or elicit intriguing discussion from this sort of guest.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Sy-Klone on March 13, 2011, 08:45:23 PM
Dr. Michio Kaku is scheduled to be a guest on this Thursday.

Unfortunately, he's a guest of George. This disappoints me greatly. Dr. Kaku has usually been paired with Art to great effect. I simply do not think George has what it takes to interview an actual scientist of Dr. Kaku's statute with any degree of poise or intellect.

Art + Dr. Kaku = Very Informative, Engaging Intellectual Discussion
George + Dr. Kaku = 100 Monkeys at 100 Typewriters Randomly Pecking Toward Shakespeare

I can't bring myself to listen, and I love all of Art's shows with Dr. Kaku. I find Dr. Kaku's work fascinating, but I have absolutely no confidence that George can articulate, frame, or elicit intriguing discussion from this sort of guest.

Based on past experience with George interviewing Kaku, there will be a lot of "Absolutely"; "Wow"; "Geeesh"; "Goshhh"; "(unintelligible mumbles)"; and the usual absence of any probing questions or intelligent conversation from George.

Camper

Last time George interviewed Dr. Kaku I think he fell asleep during the interview. After Dr, Kaku finished answering a question there was a few seconds of dead air, Dr. Kaku thinking maybe he had lost his connection said "hello" and a second or two later George said "hello?"  I swear he had either nodded off or wasn't paying any attention.

It's painful to listen to George interview anyone but especially someone of Dr. Kaku's caliber.

I'm going to have to listen because it's Michio Kaku. He will carry the show.

Nick el Ass

I will listen for Michio Kaku. He has the ability to make you forget all about the inability of a certain host, who shall remain nameless to put together a decent interview... Even if for a seemingly short period of time.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on March 14, 2011, 01:54:19 AM
I will listen for Michio Kaku. He has the ability to make you forget all about the inability of a certain host, who shall remain nameless to put together a decent interview... Even if for a seemingly short period of time.

Too bad Michio can't take over the helm of C2C.....

The General

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on March 15, 2011, 10:01:40 AM
Too bad Michio can't take over the helm of C2C.....

As much as I love Dr. Kaku as a guest, he'd make a terrible host for C2C.
He doesn't have the entertainment factor.  The great thing about Art was his ability to make topics that you didn't even care about RIVETING.  C2C needs an entertainer again.  Not a physicist.

Quote from: The General on March 15, 2011, 10:41:45 AM

He doesn't have the entertainment factor.  The great thing about Art was his ability to make topics that you didn't even care about RIVETING.  C2C needs an entertainer again.  Not a physicist.

Good point, but this hasn't stopped Snoory..... ;D

onan

Quote from: The General on March 15, 2011, 10:41:45 AM

You are dead on General... I cant count the number of times Art made a clever/comical retort and Michio had no clue. Of all the guests on C2C and c2c Kaku is definitely one of my favorites; brilliant he is; but not gifted with the subtleties that Art possesses.

donniedarko

Michio is awesome! but i hate when George would go on about 'real science' and have dry physicists on.

bschott

Quote from: ArtBellFan on December 31, 2010, 06:06:58 PM
Just so happened that a friend and Art Bell Fan sent me three CD's in 2003, most of them are .ra files from 97, 98 and 99,  there are many Dreamland shows on those CD's, over time I have recorded them to mp3 format.  We used to have a pay forward program and I sent out and recieved hundreds of shows, some of these shows are available here..
http://home.comcast.net/~labvid/flash/hold/MediaFire.html

First off, thanks a million!  I very much appreciate your efforts.

I do want to point out that the Art Bell Matrix 012.zip
Art Bell 121303 Whitley Strieber_Nick Begich_HARRP
Art Bell 121403 Harry Helms_Shadow Government
Art Bell 121503 Michio Kaku_Nuclear Scenarios
no longer works.  it brings up an error.php page stating the file is no longer available. 

Centurion40

Quote from: valdez on December 31, 2010, 05:50:28 AM
     Cool story.

Word! 

I'm just reading this thread now as I've found Kaku to be the most credible guest.  Not to mention interesting.

I have to say that I really do enjoy Michio's work and whenever his interviewed on C2C, regardless of the host (though I think we all know that some hosts are better than others when engaging their guests and asking interesting questions).

He's also got a fantastic kinda "11 years and up" approach with his style of communication. I'm no quantum physicist, obviously, but he made some very difficult things to understand, very simple. I know that is a mantra of his but it is sometimes an art in itself. Talking of which, I also found that Art, whilst clearly intelligent, didn't feel the need to obliterate conversations with useless, long words.

Ah, Kaku... another suggestion for my opening night gambit. Assuming he's not got anything better to do, obviously.

Quote from: noorysmoustache on June 30, 2011, 04:26:50 PM
He's also got a fantastic kinda "11 years and up" approach with his style of communication. I'm no quantum physicist, obviously, but he made some very difficult things to understand, very simple. I know that is a mantra of his but it is sometimes and art in itself. I also find that Art, whilst clearly intelligent, didn't feel the need to obliterate conversations with useless, long words.

Kaku seems to have the same gift that Sagan had for explaining difficult concepts in simple ways.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on June 30, 2011, 04:28:37 PM
Kaku seems to have the same gift that Sagan had for explaining difficult concepts in simple ways.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, thank you. I said it in arse-about-face style. Apologies, it's past my bed time here and I've had a taxing day!

Might as well throw in that I do notice George force out a few long words every now and then, unnaturally... and I'm sure I can hear ticking not too long after their deliverance.

McLovin

I know this is over a year old but thank you to HAL 9000 for the download script and instructions.  Listening to Dr. Kaku is simply amazing.  I would love to be young again and study under his brilliance.

heater

I went to a lecture (book promotion) of Michio Kaku's earlier this year.  He does a great job keeping the crowd entertained.  You can view it here:  http://www.ket.org/arts/authorforum/kaku.html Its about an hour long and worth watching.

martinol

thanks for the link!