• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Blackberry gives global encryption keys to RCMP

Started by WOTR, September 29, 2016, 12:25:34 AM

WOTR

For once, it is the Canadians who can spy on everybody else. 

First, I'm wondering if the RCMP have read Obamas communications? Hillary's?

Secondly, I'm wondering what the hell Blackberry is doing with GLOBAL encryption keys?  Are they stupid?

Finally, this is just another good example of why they deserved to fail.  Destroying your reputation for security by giving away encryption keys is stupid (especially when that is all that you have... Nobody bought a blackberry because it was a great phone or had great apps)

With this, I say goodbye to a once great Canadian company...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chen-BlackBerry-did-the-right-thing-in-giving-Canadian-cops-its-decryption-key_id80324

***On a side note, they are now out of the hardware end of the business and are going to focus on software (and, presumably, secure software.)  Yeah, can I just buy my security software direct from the RCMP and CIA and cut out the middleman?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WOTR on September 29, 2016, 12:25:34 AM
For once, it is the Canadians who can spy on everybody else. 

First, I'm wondering if the RCMP have read Obamas communications? Hillary's?

Secondly, I'm wondering what the hell Blackberry is doing with GLOBAL encryption keys?  Are they stupid?

Finally, this is just another good example of why they deserved to fail.  Destroying your reputation for security by giving away encryption keys is stupid (especially when that is all that you have... Nobody bought a blackberry because it was a great phone or had great apps)

With this, I say goodbye to a once great Canadian company...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chen-BlackBerry-did-the-right-thing-in-giving-Canadian-cops-its-decryption-key_id80324

***On a side note, they are now out of the hardware end of the business and are going to focus on software (and, presumably, secure software.)  Yeah, can I just buy my security software direct from the RCMP and CIA and cut out the middleman?

the company has already gone down this road.  do you remember several years ago when they gave india and a couple other governments back door access to, uh, i think it was blackberry messenger and mail?

WOTR

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 12:53:25 AM
the company has already gone down this road.  do you remember several years ago when they gave india and a couple other governments back door access to, uh, i think it was blackberry messenger and mail?
I had mentioned that in the Hillary thread... I thought it was the Saudi's, but I could be wrong...  I'm just surprised to find they handed them to the RCMP 7 years ago with no pressure, no publicity, no fanfare.

I know many people say that their downfall came because of their apps and their bad phone design.  However, I believe they could have had the security and business accounts wrapped up if they did not squander their good name.  Now they have nothing (and I cannot imagine their software being a big seller.)

It's too bad Blackberry is where it is.  I like the idea of a physical keyboard smartphone rather than all these touchscreens. 

DanTSX

Wouldn't this be under the auspices of the CIC or whatever the Canadian Intel or signals ?  Not the rcmp?

Also, RIM just sold to an Asian company.  It would be interesting to consider if this handover of cryptology tech was considered ahead of the sale with cooperation of the government.

Quote from: DanTSX on October 13, 2016, 07:38:36 PM
Wouldn't this be under the auspices of the CIC or whatever the Canadian Intel or signals ?  Not the rcmp?

Also, RIM just sold to an Asian company.  It would be interesting to consider if this handover of cryptology tech was considered ahead of the sale with cooperation of the government.
It had to be. Encryption is considered a weapon and there are laws forbidding its export.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on September 29, 2016, 02:02:18 AM
It's too bad Blackberry is where it is.  I like the idea of a physical keyboard smartphone rather than all these touchscreens.

i used to feel the same way, but as touch keyboards advanced, i found them far more efficient.