• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

CoastGab member is permanantly offline

Started by HAL 9000, July 15, 2012, 01:54:53 AM

HAL 9000

A CoastGab member, known here as ArtBellFan, but most recognized as Shirleypal elsewhere, has died. She was 69 years old. Apparently Snoory mentioned it on Friday's show. My guess is her obituary will be published tomorrow. She lived not far from me.

Quote from: ArtBellFan on May 22, 2011, 09:56:18 AM
Hi Michael, just to clear up any confusion the new Fantastic Forum 2 is excepting members, we were the core members and are starting anew.
Linnea who was a dear friend who passed away and was the owner of FF and the only owner.
I was a Mod there.

Shirley

Quote from: ArtBellFan on April 14, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
Are you saying Art Bell doesn't post on Fantastic Forum, I am Shirleypal there and a Mod on that site and have been in touch with Art over the years, it is the real Art Bell posting there.  You might want to check the site for his other threads that he has put up over the years.

R.I.P.

[attachimg=1]

[attachment deleted by admin]

HAL 9000

Here is the announcement Snoory made on the Friday 13th 2012 show, regarding Shirleypal/ArtBellFan passing. See attached mp3 below: (guests cannot see attachments. Register at CG and join the fun)

[attachment deleted by admin]

MV/Liberace!

that's really unfortunate to hear.  she and i spoke on the phone once for about an hour, and it was a really good conversation.  she seemed like someone i would probably have enjoyed knowing if we'd been acquainted in person.

it was she who originally received the now famous rollye james email, by the way... and i posted it here with her permission.  now that she's gone, i suppose there's no breach of trust in revealing that.

godspeed, shirley, wherever you are.

Sardondi

MV (heh, love the new avatar), I was unaware of the Rollye James letter. I only heard her a few times when she was hosting, but she would have been my choice to replace Art: intelligent, quick, informed, engaged and with a commanding voice. Not to be.

Anyhow, her email (letter?) struck me for two reasons. First, that, bottom line, we're right. About George, perceptions of him by Premiere, the reasons for hiring him, the audience he attracts, the inordinate power of the producer(s), and the way a show with a great reputation and following can feed off that energy for years and years before inertia catches up with it.

Secondly, I was struck at the fact RJ's letter found its way to the internet. Unless she gave her approval for dissemination, it seems like RJ's request to keep it confidential was violated. I note as well the irony that the recipient of the letter, who almost certainly sent it to someone, made sure s/he wasn't identified (snipped the ID/name).

It's neither here nor there, and the thread itself is over a years old, and who knows when RJ's letter was sent. Still I hope I'm wrong and there was indeed some approval by RJ. Otherwise it was "penny-wise and pound-foolish" to go for the short-term benefit of burning George and Premiere, but then ensuring that RJ would never be so foolish as to write anyone anything about the internal workings at C2C/Premiere.

Juan

The Rollye James letter rings completely true to me.  While I never worked in radio, I worked in TV for 25+ years - including for Cheap Channel.  What she said about Art's contract the first time he left was certainly true of my contract with them.  They include a non-compete agreement.  The normal non-compete agreement is limited to area, but since Cheap Chanel owns either a radio or TV station in every market, they contend you can't work in competition with them anywhere.  Such a thing may be breakable, but I certainly didn't have the money to take them on in court.

McPhallus

Quote from: HAL 9000 on July 15, 2012, 02:51:07 AM
Here is the announcement Snoory made on the Friday 13th 2012 show, regarding Shirleypal/ArtBellFan passing. See attached mp3 below: (guests cannot see attachments. Register at CG and join the fun)

Interesting how he doesn't mention Coastgab....  What's with the mumbling at the end?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on July 15, 2012, 10:28:40 AM
MV (heh, love the new avatar), I was unaware of the Rollye James letter. I only heard her a few times when she was hosting, but she would have been my choice to replace Art: intelligent, quick, informed, engaged and with a commanding voice. Not to be.

Anyhow, her email (letter?) struck me for two reasons. First, that, bottom line, we're right. About George, perceptions of him by Premiere, the reasons for hiring him, the audience he attracts, the inordinate power of the producer(s), and the way a show with a great reputation and following can feed off that energy for years and years before inertia catches up with it.

Secondly, I was struck at the fact RJ's letter found its way to the internet. Unless she gave her approval for dissemination, it seems like RJ's request to keep it confidential was violated. I note as well the irony that the recipient of the letter, who almost certainly sent it to someone, made sure s/he wasn't identified (snipped the ID/name).

It's neither here nor there, and the thread itself is over a years old, and who knows when RJ's letter was sent. Still I hope I'm wrong and there was indeed some approval by RJ. Otherwise it was "penny-wise and pound-foolish" to go for the short-term benefit of burning George and Premiere, but then ensuring that RJ would never be so foolish as to write anyone anything about the internal workings at C2C/Premiere.

that email was from a conversation that took place between rollye and shirley on 1/27/2008.  while i guess shirley DID violate rollye's request, it strikes me as odd that 1) rollye would discuss such things with an internet stranger while simultaneously requesting said discussion go no further and 2) rollye would spend so much time writing such a lengthy, in depth email if she didn't expect it to be seen by more than just the recipient.  synopsis: based on the email its self, i always suspected rollye knew it would make its way to the interwebs, and the whole "please keep it hush hush" thing was just a bit of CYA. 

one night i heard rollye trashing noory on her radio show, and that's when i requested permission from shirley to post this email... because i knew rollye was no longer hiding her disgust with noory/premiere/c2c.  there was nothing to lose.

ziznak

It was a good read and explained a lot to those of us not in the biz.

Frys Girl

Rest in peace, shirleypal! It was far too soon. I enjoyed her posts here.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on July 15, 2012, 02:02:42 PM

that email was from a conversation that took place between rollye and shirley on 1/27/2008....*snip*

All is explained. Well, I'm thankful it was disseminated since it confirms so much. And also leads the reader to a pretty safe conclusion that AB probably has a similar attitude re the show under George Noory.

HAL 9000

Shirleypal did, indeed, pass away on Friday, July 13, 2012. Here obituary is here:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/2012/07/16/obituaries/doc50043f7179bd4357633872.txt

Links like this are often not permanent

slipstream

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 15, 2012, 04:50:48 PM
Rest in peace, shirleypal! It was far too soon. I enjoyed her posts here.

Yes, she'll be missed.

HAL 9000

Last post I make (probably) about Shirleypal / ArtBellFan...

She died on Friday, July 13, and services held on Sunday, July 15.

If so inclined, you can send an email message to her family via this link:

http://www.thedorfmanchapel.com/deceasedinfo.php?rownum=2266

Apparently, Shirleypal was Jewish - oy vey.

My condolences to her friends and family.