• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I bought my first telescope

Started by The General, July 08, 2012, 03:43:12 PM

The General

Actually, I bought it for my wife for her birthday, but we've both been enjoying the hell out of it.  So far, we've seen unbelievably sharp topography of the moon's surface, a binary star system, Mars, and Saturn.  Saturn blew my mind.  We could clearly see the rings, a shadow being cast by the rings, and we could even see a little dot of light that was orbiting Saturn.... presumably Titan.  It is really an amazing experience to be looking at one of Saturn's moons from your own back yard.

Next we're going to try to zoom in on some galaxies and nebulas and such.  They're harder to find and harder to see, but according to what I've read, we should be able to see some of them with our little telescope.  Our telescope is a 90mm Orion Starmax.

Any other amateur backyard astronomers on Coastgab?
What kind of scope do you have and what do you look at?

MV/Liberace!

i really want a telescope, but i never think to actually buy one.  one day.  i know you really can see some amazing stuff with just about any average consumer level telescope.  it doesn't take much.

ziznak

i want one too... general do you have photo capabilities on that thing?  that would rock if you could share pics!

The General

I did stick my camera up to the eyepiece and snap a couple, but they really didn't turn out very well.  I couldn't get my digital camera to focus very well, especially on saturn, but you at least get the idea.  Sticking a camera up to the eyepiece is a laughable way of trying to do it, but I wanted to at least try.  Looking through the telescope in person, these images looked about 10 times better and they were crystal clear.   We could even see a moon orbiting Saturn.

The General

through the eyepiece, it looked almost exactly like this...
(not my image, stolen from the web...)

Juan

OMG, I think I see a robot head on the moon surface.

ziznak

Those pics are still cool even if you had to go ghetto-fabulous to take them.  The pic of the moon came out pretty damn good.  I'm sure Venus and Jupiter would come out nicely too.  I'm a HUGE google sky addict and can often be seen walking to the store at 3am with my phone held up to the sky.  I have a friend that owns one of those scopes that you can program to find stuff automatically... it hooks up to the computer n stuff.  <droool>

coaster

I agree, the pictures are really something. Thanks for sharing.

The General

thanks, I'm really excited about this telescope, even though the pictures don't do it justice.

Oversoul

Reminds me of the time I used to do some amateur astronomy with a small telescope as a young boy.  It was a HUGE thrill to see Jupiter and its four larger moons and see those moons revolving around the planet over a period of days and weeks.  Those were wonderful days of discovery.  :)

Have lotsa fun with your new telescope, General.  ;)

Quote from: The General on July 08, 2012, 07:26:07 PM
thanks, I'm really excited about this telescope, even though the pictures don't do it justice.

I think the pictures are really good. Seems like great fun.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on July 08, 2012, 04:46:44 PM
I did stick my camera up to the eyepiece and snap a couple, but they really didn't turn out very well.  I couldn't get my digital camera to focus very well, especially on saturn, but you at least get the idea.  Sticking a camera up to the eyepiece is a laughable way of trying to do it, but I wanted to at least try.  Looking through the telescope in person, these images looked about 10 times better and they were crystal clear.   We could even see a moon orbiting Saturn.

actually, i'm surprised your pictures came out that well, just holding the camera up to the eyepiece.

McLovin

I am thinking of getting a telescope soon, would appreciate feedback from others.  Thanks General.

The General

Quote from: McLovin on July 09, 2012, 05:59:51 PM
I am thinking of getting a telescope soon, would appreciate feedback from others.  Thanks General.
I bought mine after watching a video on Orion's website...
http://www.telescope.com/Buying-Guides/Telescope-Guides/Telescope-Buying-Guide/pc/-1/c/440/sc/441/p/101490.uts

very cool planet'a'rium  freeware

http://stellarium.org/

there's a plugin for telescope control but I haven't tried it.