• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What is in my Father's notebook?

Started by Walks_At_Night, October 13, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 09, 2019, 10:16:32 PM
I don't know WOTR.  US Navy Destroyers did not carry reloads so what they loaded into the tubes at the dock is what they had.  The torpedo tube mounts were quintuple so they carried 5 torpedoes.  Most of the Destroyers had one mount but some had two - for a maximum load of ten fish.  Just trying to get the fish aboard was quite an operation.  Below is a clip of a
Mark XIV being loaded aboard a Submarine.   
It looks like fun to try to wrestle them to where you require them.  With all of the shells and explosives on board, I had always just assumed that torpedoes were stored somewhere and hauled out when necessary. I was also thinking that given the technology involved, it must have been expensive for every "miss." (I was imagining a few dozen in the hold all hauled up and fired off.)

Page 53 starts a section on Preliminary Adjustments of Mark XV Torpedo

After each line item there is a section for writing in data. Most of the line items have data entered in them.  However, I haven't been able to ascertain what
the data means.  They don't appear to be units.  The don't appear to reference other line items.  I just don't know..................

Page 53

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 12, 2019, 10:44:35 PM

After each line item there is a section for writing in data. Most of the line items have data entered in them.  However, I haven't been able to ascertain what
the data means.  They don't appear to be units.  The don't appear to reference other line items.  I just don't know..................

Page 53

Number 14 made me laugh Hendrie style. Others seem good instruction. So glad yer dad kept it (and you found it.)

Uncle Duke

Page 53

Might those be page/paragraph references to a tech order or maintenance procedure manual?

Quote from: albrecht on February 12, 2019, 10:50:56 PM
Number 14 made me laugh Hendrie style. Others seem good instruction. So glad yer dad kept it (and you found it.)

My Father's Ship is currently on hiatus as the next logical section to post leads to an issue for me.   I've recently found something above and beyond The Notebook.
I'm doing some research but it is slow going as I literally know nothing about it.    I'm really busy at work and well, my Tax returns are not the simplest either, all of which
eats up time.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 12, 2019, 10:55:30 PM
Might those be page/paragraph references to a tech order or maintenance procedure manual.

Very well might be.  Or log entries from the same while doing "hands on" work.  I remember Dad saying that they did lots and lots of hands on.
They even had to do a certain amount of the training in a darkened room.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 12, 2019, 11:01:27 PM
Very well might be.  Or log entries from the same while doing "hands on" work.  I remember Dad saying that they did lots and lots of hands on.
They even had to do a certain amount of the training in a darkened room.

I've seen a similar format in what the USAF calls "Job Guides" that make references back to individual tech orders.

Are you familiar with the group called "Tin Can Sailors?" It's an association of former destroyer crewmen, one of the more active such organizations.  I've worked with them on a couple of my projects, they are very accommodating.  Might be a possible source of information as you continue your research on the notebook, as well as your new find.

http://www.destroyers.org

K_Dubb

Page 53

Good lord I need a shower after reading that.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 12, 2019, 11:10:35 PM
I've seen a similar format in what the USAF calls "Job Guides" that make references back to individual tech orders.

Are you familiar with the group called "Tin Can Sailors?" It's an association of former destroyer crewmen, one of the more active such organizations.  I've worked with them on a couple of my projects, they are very accommodating.  Might be a possible source of information as you continue your research on the notebook, as well as your new find.

http://www.destroyers.org

Thanks Duke.  I am aware of that group but hadn't considered them as a resource.  I've gone down a different path where
I made some progress but hit a wall.  I'm kind of stuck now and well, not sure about what to do.

Page 54 is Part II of Preliminary Adjustments of Mark XV Torpedo  The good ole  Bevel Protractor makes a cameo!

Page 54

Page 55 is Part III of Preliminary Adjustments of Mark XV Torpedo.  A clearance of at least 0.0025 inches is needed for the outer gimbal of the Gyro and the mysterious Tool 227 makes a cameo appearance on line item 73.

Page 55

My Father's Ship will return tomorrow with a very special episode.

Be there or be square!    8)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 15, 2019, 07:21:17 PM
My Father's Ship will return tomorrow with a very special episode.

Be there or be square!    8)

Much anticipated!  And I will open that top valve smartly from now on, sir.

albrecht

I want details on Tool 227. Wasn't an urban tv comedy show based on it? Or a part of black budgets when they first started?

On Page 56 we move to Final Adjustment of Mark XV Torpedo

Page 56

The Benson-Gleaves class Destroyers carried seven 20MM Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns.  Oerlikon was a Swiss concern and as a result many nations built this gun under license and as a result it was used by both the Axis and the Allies.  From a Naval standpoint these guns were considered the last line of defense against aircraft.  The 5" inch gun firing proximity fuzed anti-aircraft ammunition would be the first line and the 40MM Bofors guns would be the second.  They were effective guns but did not have the stopping power against Kamikaze attacks were it was not enough to simply shoot the plane down but you needed to blow it apart before it could strike your ship.

Here are some Oerlikon's in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zTS13QmHc

I have my Dad's Porter-Cable Saber Saw.   It has a sturdy metal case and after he passed, I took a quick glance inside and stuck it on a shelf in the garage where it has sat
for several years.   In recent days, I decide to look at it closer and see if it actually works.  The saw was in the case, along with some blades and a tube of
Porter-Cable lubricant.  I took all that out and noticed that there was a manual for the saw, which had a Gus Grissom looking guy getting it done on the cover.

Hidden underneath the manual I found 20MM Oerlikon anti-aircraft  shells.   There were two shells and two casings.  Certainly did not expect that!  Wow. 
Thus would begin a little adventure trying to figure out if I had some really nice souvenirs or a hazardous nightmare to deal with. 

Here are pictures of the case, the saw and the manual

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 16, 2019, 03:56:24 PM
I have my Dad's Porter-Cable Saber Saw.   It has a sturdy metal case and after he passed, I took a quick glance inside and stuck it on a shelf in the garage where it has sat
for several years.   In recent days, I decide to look at it closer and see if it actually works.  The saw was in the case, along with some blades and a tube of
Porter-Cable lubricant.  I took all that out and noticed that there was a manual for the saw, which had a Gus Grissom looking guy getting it done on the cover.

Hidden underneath the manual I found 20MM Oerlikon anti-aircraft  shells.   There were two shells and two casings.  Certainly did not expect that!  Wow. 
Thus would begin a little adventure trying to figure out if I had some really nice souvenirs or a hazardous nightmare to deal with. 

That is a find, Walks!  How did you manage to ID them?  Is it too much to hope for pics?

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 16, 2019, 06:12:49 PM
That is a find, Walks!  How did you manage to ID them?  Is it too much to hope for pics?

I have plenty of pictures so no worries there. 

As for identification, I started with my neighbor, aka The Commander   He is a retired Naval Officer and Annapolis grad.  He had no clue but did say
that the if they were live the fuzes were the biggest danger.  The actual explosive was probably still somewhat stable but the fuzes probably were not. 

From there it was a whole lot of internet research time.  There were two questions I had - safety and legality. I didn't want to blow the crap out of myself
and I didn't want any ATF hassles either.  The legality concern cleared up pretty quickly.   God Bless America.   I came across forum postings of guys
buying these shells at pawn shops so it seemed like that wasn't a legal issue.  Hell. There are guys that own the Oerlikon guns themselves.  Not only do they
own them, they fire 'em.   My favorite I think was this portly fellow hammering away at some invisible foe.    I think it was the head action upon the recoil
that was so fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_o6Hu0J90

That left safety.   I finally found the right place with the right guys, located down in the bowels of the internet.   There are definitely some Yahoos that are
into this stuff but it is pretty easy to determine some nut job to someone with serious knowledge, interest and experience.

Quote from: albrecht on February 15, 2019, 10:39:10 PM
I want details on Tool 227. Wasn't an urban tv comedy show based on it? Or a part of black budgets when they first started?

You wanted details.  I got 'em.  Tool #227 is a double ended socket wrench.  With a 0.134 inch female end and a 0.498 inch male end. 
We can look back at Page 26 which has the second page listing  Ready Tools
The sizes listed are kind of wild - they don't line up nicely with the standard  1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 at all. 

I found two shell casings in the case.  Both are marked identically - 20MM MK2 B.C.  1943 and have a small symbol imprinted into them that I can not make out,

There was no powder in the casings.

The shape of the bottom of the casing confirms that they were for the 20MM  Oerlikon and not it's competitor the Hispano-Suiza.  I am assuming the B.C. indicates the manufacturer but I haven't been able to confirm this or decipher its meaning.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 17, 2019, 11:55:03 AM
You wanted details.  I got 'em.  Tool #227 is a double ended socket wrench.  With a 0.134 inch female end and a 0.498 inch male end. 
We can look back at Page 26 which has the second page listing  Ready Tools
The sizes listed are kind of wild - they don't line up nicely with the standard  1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 at all.
Ha. Weird. Though maybe they were foreign or metric parts in some cases and so converted to our system in description?  Or just for some specialized process that needed exact fitting to the tool?
More on the Oerlikon
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/oerlikon_manual.pdf
The gun forums trying to look up the precise place of mfg for the 20mm shells you found leads to some interesting discussions.

Quote from: albrecht on February 17, 2019, 04:37:07 PM
Ha. Weird. Though maybe they were foreign or metric parts in some cases and so converted to our system in description?  Or just for some specialized process that needed exact fitting to the tool?

Well the torpedoes were designed and built by the Naval Bureau of Ordnance - at least until the war really took off and private industry had to be called
in to help.    Guess they just wanted to do their own thing.

Quote from: albrecht on February 17, 2019, 04:37:07 PM
The gun forums trying to look up the precise place of mfg for the 20mm shells you found leads to some interesting discussions.

No shit.  I found them to be a delightful mixture of the knowledgeable and the bat shit crazy.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 17, 2019, 12:13:32 PM
I found two shell casings in the case.  Both are marked identically - 20MM MK2 B.C.  1943 and have a small symbol imprinted into them that I can not make out,

There was no powder in the casings.

The shape of the bottom of the casing confirms that they were for the 20MM  Oerlikon and not it's competitor the Hispano-Suiza.  I am assuming the B.C. indicates the manufacturer but I haven't been able to confirm this or decipher its meaning.

Well that is convenient!  BuOrd made it easy.  That symbol sure looks like an attempt at a fouled anchor to me.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 17, 2019, 06:13:29 PM
Well that is convenient!  BuOrd made it easy.  That symbol sure looks like an attempt at a fouled anchor to me.

I do believe you are correct.   It is easier to see that on the picture as compared to eyeballing it.   
Zoom is our friend in the wilderness.  :)

albrecht

I sure hope it wasn't frequent C2C caller "Charles from Elgin" and also that kind of situation doesn't occur when WAT is opening his father's old tool boxes and WWII archives! It is also interesting that they called the police and didn't seek out information on specialized interweb forums first. Sad for them. It might have been something cool and oddball collector would've wanted or at least open up interesting discussions and arguments....  ;)
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/residents-find-military-explosive-during-garage-remodel-near-elgin/1790151126

Quote from: albrecht on February 17, 2019, 07:19:17 PM
I sure hope it wasn't frequent C2C caller "Charles from Elgin" and also that kind of situation doesn't occur when WAT is opening his father's old tool boxes and WWII archives! It is also interesting that they called the police and didn't seek out information on specialized interweb forums first. Sad for them. It might have been something cool and oddball collector would've wanted or at least open up interesting discussions and arguments....  ;)
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/residents-find-military-explosive-during-garage-remodel-near-elgin/1790151126

Well I had the advantage in that I was pretty confident that Dad knew what he was doing.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 17, 2019, 07:27:10 PM
Well I had the advantage in that I was pretty confident that Dad knew what he was doing.

Any theories on why they were in with the saw?  The metal case as a makeshift ammo box?

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 17, 2019, 08:12:19 PM
Any theories on why they were in with the saw?  The metal case as a makeshift ammo box?

I suspect that my Dad tucked them in there when they moved here  (NC)  from northern Michigan and then forgot about them.

They had lived in a little town in the middle of nowhere, when my Dad cut his thumb off in the table saw and he ended up having to
drive himself 40 miles to the nearest hospital to have it looked at.   I think he was 78 about that time - so he was also getting a bit
past having to chop wood, shovel snow and clearing the roof off once or twice in the winter to get the weight off it.